Start by marking “Throw Like a Girl” as Want to Read:
Throw Like a Girl

Throw Like a Girl

Friday Night Lights meets Morgan Matson's The Unexpected Everything in this contemporary debut where swoon-worthy romance meets underdog sports story.

When softball star Liv Rodinsky throws one ill-advised punch during the most important game of the year, she loses her scholarship to her fancy private school, her boyfriend, and her teammates all in one fell swoop. With no
Hardcover
Published January 7th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Throw Like a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Throw Like a Girl

Start your review of Throw Like a Girl
Lola
This is an easy enough book to breeze through.

It’s not a story that is going to blow your mind. It will probably not make its way onto your list of top favourites. You might even completely forget it in a couple of months.

But.

It works. It’s a story that feels like it was written for the big screen so you know things are moving. Characters are talking. The heroine has personality. She’s not the most endearing one, I’m still unsure if I liked her at all.

But the plotline is kind of kickass.
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I don't normally go in for the cute, fluffy books, but the prospect of a female quarterback playing on an otherwise all-male team was too intriguing to ignore. My high school actually had a girl playing on the junior varsity team, and since I went to high school a while ago, people made a much bigger deal of that then than they did in this book. Sexism in sports is a real thing, yo.

THROW LIKE A GIRL is about a girl named Liv. She's the
Jennifer Iacopelli
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd say sports fiction is my favorite genre and category, except that I'm way too picky to enjoy most of it. So, please know when I say that THROW LIKE A GIRL is utter perfection, I well and truly mean it. Sarah Henning has done the near impossible, writing an epic, swoony romance and balancing it with the heart and soul of an elite athlete's journey to self discovery all the while keeping the on the field play authentic and exciting. Fear not sports-novices, the feats of athleticism are ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

First, I have to give this book high praise for the fact that it's a contemporary sports romance within the Young Adult genre. Maybe it's just me, but I typically have difficulty finding a sports romance in YA. I am able to find stories that include sports to some degree but the involvement of the sport in the story is usually minimal.

Another unique aspect within this particular novel is that the main female character plays a sport. This was very refreshing and different for me because
Dahlia
Aug 11, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2020-releases
I desperately wanted something fun, so I dug into my 2020 ARC stash and this did NOT disappoint. Sports Romances in YA that contain actual sports are so rare, and this is one of the most knowledgeable ones I’ve read so far, which is no surprise given the author. On top of that, I really love the way it balances not just romance but all these great family moments and friendships. This was just everything I love about light contemporary romance. (CW: Homophobia, in the first chapter)
Jacob Proffitt
This exactly fit my mood, hit all the right notes, and provoked a few laugh-out-loud moments along the way. So that's a complete win. This is definitely a "grant the premise" book because Liv absolutely tops the chart of possibilities when it turns out that her competent athleticism includes natural talent that slots easily into football quarterback. It's not complete fantasy as she is a dedicated athlete with hard-earned and well-established leadership skills. But still...

But I loved her and
Leah Waters
Oh how I love this book! Let me count the ways. *pauses* Oops, there's too many to count.

This is one of the best contemporary books I've ever read.

The characters should always be the driving force in romance, and Sarah Henning could not have developed Liv or Grey more. Every character was alive with voice that made them seem real, like someone I'd talk with in class. Liv was an inspirational narrator, with flaws and virtues that make her a wonderful protagonist. The chemistry between Liv and
Susan's Reviews
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love it when an author takes a trope and turns it on its head!
In Throw Like a Girl, you do indeed get all the usual tropes to be found in a typical Y.A. novel.
Boy Meets girl, and they fall in love.
Boy talks girl into joining the high school football team as his relief quarterback.
Girl ends up helping to lead the team to the state championships.
But alas, boy harbors secrets that ultimately shatter her trust, and they break up.
Boy apologizes and she accepts his sincere apology, but won't
Tucker
Sep 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
does anyone know who the male cover model is... because he is fine as hell
Kris (frantic4romantic)
You know how sometimes you forget how much you like something until you do it again? That was me after reading this sweet highschool sports romance. Which I almost completely finished in a single sitting, I might add.

Liv, or O-Rod as she’s so loving called by her friends, is so spunky and determined. She reminded me of myself in highschool. Dedicated to the sport I loved. When Liv makes a choice that ultimately uproots her life right before her junior year of Highschool, an unexpected
Stacy Fetters
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I try but fail to wash the loss out of my hair- Garnier Fructis can only do so much."

I have a confession to make... I’ve never read a book written by Morgan Matson or watched the television show, Friday Night Lights. So this was an entirely new experience for me and I was really impressed. This was an amazing girl-power read with some cuteness thrown in.

I went in expecting this to be another sexist read with a super swoony romance but it wasn’t. I was pleasantly surprised when things turned out
Lindsay
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Absolutely fantastic and I would definitely read it again.
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
3.5/5 Stars

This is the kind of story that you read and can't help thinking that it would make a great movie. This is an adorable little dramedy that ticks off all the boxes on what would make for a good book-to-screen adaptation.

While this is a story that I enjoyed, it did not blow me away. It had the mechanics for a mind-blowing story but I think that either some of it was lost in translation or the execution could use some work.

I enjoyed this book but I just didn't fall in love with the
The Nerd Daily
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Ellie King

Throw Like A Girl is the contemporary debut for author Sarah Henning. With two books already on her roster, Sea Witch and its exciting sequel Sea Witch Rising, this new novel is a dramatic change of pace for readers. Henning’s previous works fall squarely in the fantasy pool, but this entertaining story introduces the reader to the world of elite high school sports.

It is the story of champion softball player Liv Rodinsky and the
Samantha (WLABB)
Though her reasoning was solid, Liv should not have thrown that punch, or as she liked to call it, "the punch heard round the world." She acted impulsively, and now, she might have lost everything. But, she had a plan. She was going to prove, that she could be a leader, a teammate, and someone who could be relied on. With the help of the current QB, and support from some likely and unlikely sources, Liv was ready to set her plan in motion.

This was pretty much love at first page for me. Henning
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve always loved the saying “throw like a girl”. People say it as an insult; but I liked to take it as a compliment. That meaning has no merit in terms of trying to put down a woman because she isn’t as “strong” as her male counterpart. Instead, I’d like to think of it as meaning you’re badass and why the hell wouldn’t you want to throw like a girl? Being one is AMAZING!

That was the attitude that our main character, Liv, has. She’s an amazing athlete and she knows her worth—I loved her
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Super quick read. Excellent choice if you need or want a fluffy romcom

-----------------

If you are looking for a super quick, fluffy rom com type book – you are in LUCK! This is the type of book you could easily start and finish in one afternoon. I’m still learning that not all sports-based books are bad. They are not normally my “go to” type setting but if written/developed/executed right, they are fun to read. I am happy to say that this was done right.

The story circles around Liv, a high
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
CW: homophobic slur, cancer, and repeated head injuries

This was so much fun! Contemporary YA isn't a genre I often reach for, let alone with it focused around sports, but I trust Sarah and her ability as an author. And I so, so enjoyed it. All the characters felt so real and I loved that it was very light, even with it being somewhat tricky at times. I was worried when I read about one of Liv's parents having cancer since that's a major trigger for me, but it was more off to the side and
Bonnie Wells
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I was really looking forward to this book, even though I don't read YA contemporary much anymore, because I'm a huge football fan, and the idea of a girl playing QB really drew me in. Overall, I thought this was cute, and I don't regret reading it. I do think it has proven that YA contemporary isn't really my thing anymore. The writing could be a little cheesy at times, but my biggest problem was probably the pacing. The overall timeline of the book just felt a little off somehow. I found myself ...more
Anne (The Reading Life)
I received a free copy for an honest review.

You know the book is bad when I had started regret reading this book one chapter in (to be honest it's more like half a chapter, but I rounded it up just for the sake of accuracy).

I was starting to have a bad feeling since the very beginning, but I still forced myself to read at least 3 chapters to make sure that I am no longer physically able to tolerate it.

I’m not shy about my enjoyment of pleasure reads, so this book's generic storyline is not
USOM
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I didn't plan on reading Throw Like a Girl in one day, but I couldn't stop reading. The story is gripping and not in an anxiety provoking way, but in a, "these characters are precious I need to know what happens" way. Throw Like a Girl is heart warming. Henning is able to maintain a fabulous balance between topics of homophobia, college dreams, and romantic tension. It's about wanting
Sarah Henning
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It’s preorder prize time!!! From now until January 7, if you preorder Throw Like a Girl and input your information and a copy of your receipt to https://www.sarahhenningwrites.com/pr... you can get:

- A signed bookplate
- A pink “Don’t Leave the Awesome at Home” sticker (limited edition - first 100 preorders only)
- A double-sided postcard featuring the covers of Throw Like a Girl and The Princess Will Save You

Your preorder also enters to you win a grand prize package that includes of all of the
Justin Turczak
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable sports read. Had the right scenes start at right time and loved the flow of the book. And the MC was very relatable. Maybe only flaw I can point the author was trying but didn’t fully get was today’s day and age sports injuries especially head stuff. Hard to explain but was going to that story plot did it a bit but sorta did back burner and fill that plot line fast.
Danica Midlil
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I am not into football. Or really any sport for that matter. I avoid it/them whenever possible. Don't even casually watch games on tv, so I was worried about being completely confused during the whole book. To the author's credit, I was not confused. She did throw around a fair amount of slang and terms previously unknown to me, but contextually I never felt too far behind and the characters made it worth it a hundredfold.
So well done!
I stayed up way too late reading it and spent
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
That was really entertaining. A quick read with a good message and excellent characters. I think my favorite part was the fact that a girl playing football phased almost no one and I loved that. Definitely one to check out.
Olivia
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-reviews
THROW LIKE A GIRL is a charming story about chasing your dreams, a little romance, and a passion for sports. Liv is a star softball player at her private school, which she attends on an academic (read: athletic) scholarship. After she punches a player on the opposing team, she is suspended and loses her scholarship, meaning that she will not be able to attend the next year. She is then sent to public school, the same one which had the player she punched.

Once there, she finds that the softball
Estelle
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was *so* great. Liv is a badass and does everything with heart. I loved the sibling dynamics in this book - esp. her relationship with her younger brother - and I had such Catching Jordan vibes.

You can tell Sarah has experience in sports journalism because the in-game scenes were so detailed and I had a little trouble keeping up but readers who are mega sports fans are going to love it.

Grey is also completely dreamy. Their chemistry is awesome from the get-go and I just adored them.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, 2019-reads
I like a good sports book, and that was a good sports book.
Pierina
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why am I giving this book a full 5 stars?

Because Sarah Henning blew my mind with this contemporary sports romance. It was pleasantly surprising, inspirational and the perfect read to get your head away from reality. I have a lot to say about this one, so hopefully you make it remotely near the end!

Let's start with the fact that Henning hit the perfect balance of sports writing and romance writing. I love a good sports romance which usually deals with men being the athletes, yet the romance
Cassi
I'm not sure if this was just a case of right book right time, but I really loved this book! I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down. I loved all of the characters. I loved that Liv began playing quarterback, and all of the boys just accepted it and supported her when they realized she had talent. I loved Liv's family Danielle, Heather, Ryan, her mom and dad. I loved Grey and even her ex Jake. I really loved Addie. This book promised Friday Night Lights, and while the plot definitely ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Announcing Trouble
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Girl at Heart
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Finding Mr. Better-Than-You
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • The QB Bad Boy and Me
  • Break the Fall
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • Don't Read the Comments
Sarah Henning is a recovering journalist who has worked for the Palm Beach Post, Kansas City Star and Associated Press, among others. While in South Florida, Sarah lived and worked through five hurricanes, which gave her an extreme respect for the ocean. When not writing, she runs ultramarathons, hits the playground with her two kids and hangs out with her husband Justin, who doubles as her ...more