Start by marking “The Murder at Mandeville Hall (The Casebook of Barnaby Adair, 5)” as Want to Read:
The Murder at Mandeville Hall (The Casebook of Barnaby Adair, 5)

The Murder at Mandeville Hall

(Casebook of Barnaby Adair #5)

#1 New York Times -bestselling author Stephanie Laurens brings you a tale of unexpected romance that blossoms against the backdrop of dastardly murder.

On discovering the lifeless body of an innocent ingénue, a peer attending a country house party joins forces with the lady-amazon sent to fetch the victim safely home in a race to expose the murderer before Stokes,
Published August 16th 2018 by Savdek Management Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Murder at Mandeville Hall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murder at Mandeville Hall

Start your review of The Murder at Mandeville Hall (The Casebook of Barnaby Adair, 5)
Pamela
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars, rounded up because I'm feeling charitable today ;)

This is a country house mystery, which a lifelong Agatha Christie addict like I am can never resist buying. Prospective readers should be aware that despite the author being renowned for her romances, this book is about 90% mystery and 10% romance. Maybe even closer to 93%/7%. The writing itself is above average, and Stephanie Laurens is adept at drawing us into an authentic, fairly historically accurate world that's still very
Barbara Rogers
Series: Casebook of Barnaby Adair #5
Publication Date: 8/16/18
Number of Pages: 226

A historical murder mystery and lovely romance what more could I ask for. As always, the writing is well above average, the story is well plotted and excellently delivered. I really enjoyed the romance in this one because the heroine is unusual. She is tall and statuesque and everything the hero thought he didnt want in a wife. It shouldnt bother me, but it does you very rarely learn anybodys rank or title in this
K.
Trigger warnings: murder, strangulation, death of a loved one.

Welp. This...was not good. To be perfectly honest, I bought it because of reasons that will probably make perfect sense if you know me IRL. Those of you from Melbourne may also have some inkling. But I digress. It's a terrible reason to buy a book, basically.

Because this is an 80,000 word book. If we were talking fan fic, I'd probably have that read in an hour. Instead, this took me two entire afternoons to read and both of them
Sheila Melo
FINAL DECISION: The mystery was good, but the solution was pretty obvious to me from the beginning. In compensation, however, the romance was a nice diversion as the two get to know one another and solve the crime.

THE STORY: Alaric, Lord Carradale has been a rake but something has changed recently and he is considering looking for a bride. Unfortunately, the sweet innocent young woman that would be the typical bride is someone who would likely bore Alaric in a week. While attending a house party
Elaine
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Murder, drama and romance. Waiting for the next instalment. 5☆
Paraphrodite
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
3 stars.

Not so much an investigation as the murderer pretty much revealed himself. I get the connection between H/h but it's a bit too little too late for me.

Stacey
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The thing with Casebook books is you never know if you are going to get "The Hero & Heroine Show, with special guest stars Adair & Co" (Loving Rose) or if you are getting "The Adair & Co Show with special guest stars Hero & Heroine" (Confounding Case of Carisbrook Emeralds).
This turned out to be "The Hero & Heroine Show" but while we see a great deal of them, their romance is very much a back burner thing. There isn't even any sex until the mystery has been solved.
We have two
Rosemarie Grainer
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More mystery than romance, but still quite good

Stephanie Laurens is an author that I watch for. She consistently writes historical romantic adventure and mysteries that will draw a person in and not let them go! The pace in this story is breakneck, as the characters only have a few days to solve this mystery before people start trying to leave. The tone is mysterious and yet hopeful. The storyline is action oriented with a lot of character development. The characters are vibrant and engaging,
Trish R.
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I bought this book on March 2nd for $.99 and now its $6.99. No wonder I dont read SL, her books are too expensive, even the ones that are 6 and 8 years old. AND for it being only 226 pages the price is ridiculous.

It was all about who killed 2 young women at a house party. And the meeting of Alaric and his Amazon Constance, thats what he referred to her as. There were 4 real suspects, so it was hard to figure out who did it. When you thought you knew who the killer was Barnaby, Penelope and
I wish I had been able to find the ebook version at the library, rather than the eaudiobook. I wasn't very fond of the narrator's overall reading style, especially the voices for the women. It's the type of mystery where the death of the victims is sort of glossed over and all the emphasis is finding the murderer. I found the culprit fairly obvious from the beginning, and felt the mystery aspect was a bit muddled with so many people investigating. I'm not sure if I missed something, but I felt ...more
Kristen
I just couldn't get into this. Not even sure why, it just didn't grab me and I eventually did not finish it.

The writing was fine, the characters were good, and the plot [what I read of it] was well-conceived. I really don't know why I didn't get into it, even the narrator [I had this as an audio book] was good at bringing the characters to life. But ultimately, I found my attention continuously wandering away from the story, and that's always an indication that the book just isn't for me.

Maybe I
Denise Mullins
While this had the potential to be a cleverly charming murder mystery set in an impressive English country estate in the 1840s,several elements prevented that. The premise that murders committed in a manor full of guests had to be resolved with 72 hours seemed far-fetched, as was the final chase scene in which all able hands were never enlisted to save the damsel in distress. Moreover, the evocative Austen-like prose were destroyed by Laurens in her final chapters when she switched to a luridly ...more
Kellye
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quite satisfying

This was one of my favorites in this series so far. The characters were compelling and I finished with unfulfilled wishes to see more of them settled. I sincerely hope that perhaps Monty will reappear. I think his particular talent could be used to great advantage in the future. And I hope the host finds his happily ever after in a future instalment, either of this series or another. I am intrigued to see how he develops further. A delightful read. What are you waiting for? Buy
Bernadette
I enjoyed this murder mystery. Reuniting with Inspector Stokes and the Adairs was like coming back to your favourite British murder show. A house party is a great setting as the guests usually have things to hide in the first place and this makes it even harder to see the truth.
I did have my suspicions raised by the murderer early on, but the motivation only built as the story progressed. Its always satisfying when the murderer thinks they are so clever that they can monologue about their crime
Dallass
I really enjoyed this story, so when I discovered that I could pick up the Audible version for $3, I was rather chuffed with myself. And while I still enjoyed the story (all 8hrs 47min), the narrators voice, while easy to listen to, was not suited to the female roles as they all sounded rather bland with these fake breathy voices. Not at all how Id imagined the protagonist, Constance, to be.

Apart from that one quibble, it was an great way to reacquaint myself with the story.

3 stars
Susan Jackson
I think Im outgrowing this author. The book was ok. I had to suspend disbelief about the hero/heroine falling in love in like 3 days. And honestly there was no reason for that - she could have had them recognize the attraction and that there could be more and still had a good story. But when they both declared I love you that took me out. Also the case was only solved when the killer confessed. So the value of Barnaby Adair and company was not really highlighted for me. ...more
Pj Wright
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like a mystery, romance makes it better.

I have followed this series for years and enjoy each new chapter, Stephanie Laurens knows how to keep me interested. I have all her books, and recommend them highly. This novel reads as a stand alone book, but my joy is I know all the players, and the new romance makes it last.
Gloria
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This full-length novel poses a satisfying mystery (though I did guess the perpetrator before the end), and pairs a hero and heroine who were clearly made for each other. There is more than one murder, as well as a thwarted third attempt, so though I put this on the romance shelf, it also fits well on romantic suspense. I enjoy Stephanie Laurens' novels, and this is a good one.
Ronda Blanke Geiger
Loved it! I love this series! Completely written for readers who love mystery with a hint of romance. Alaric and Constance are the perfect match. They have this connection that can't be broken and strength that comes from within. The family dynamics in this book will make you think and the ending will catch you off guard. I can't wait for the next book in this series.
Shirley Penick
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Stephanie Laurens. I specially enjoyed the larger heroine in this one. Even though she still has to look up at the hero, she's taller than some of the other men and owns it rather than trying to diminish her height. She also has a powerful demeanor and is accepted and loved as she is.
Barbara Literski
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Who did it?

Another great book by Stephanie Laurens. I enjoy reading her books. This is a story with the Adairs and Stokes, who had to go to Mandeville Hall to search for a killer. Have fun reading and trying to figure out the culprit!
Rochelle
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved the Mystery

Although I suspected the killer from the first, I accepted the reasons why it wasn't him. So am pleased that I was fooled. I really liked the characters also. Now I'm going to read more books by this author!
Amanda
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Barnaby Adair novel and it won't be my last! A regency romance/mystery in the best Stephanie Laurens style. I've read and enjoyed many of her romances and loved the addition of a mystery to be solved by the main characters. A fun cozy read with a HEA to boot!
Karen Fan
This read much more like a mystery novel with a smidge of romance. Barnaby, Penelope, and Stokes were just in for a bit, but I enjoyed this. I especially like that the heroines are strong and confident AND the heroes are just accepting. ...more
Debra McEathron
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Family Values

Barnaby and company are brought in to solve a double murder at Mandeville Hall with only 2 days to solve the case. The local magistrate didn't want to involve Scotland Yard in the matter. Two of the characters find true love and another one loses his true love.
Tango With Text
Nov 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Only 3 stars because this is not my genre, however, the story was good, with a nice twist. Found Napoleon Pauls narration annoying - but again, not my genre. This book was part of a reading challenge to find new authors to read :-)
Iza Soares
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm deadly busy these days so can't review it right now but wanna say that I love SL even when I don't love her books. Think this was kind of a not so good one, but when all you have is 100% good books, a 99% is not that good.

Full review to come
Randi Russell
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

It was well written, it kept my interest up, it was absorbing, the characters were expertly described so you felt you knew them, and could see them in your minds eye. It left you wanting to read the next book.
Neil C.
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read, but predictable

Loved the evolution of the lovers, but the villain was predictable from the outset. It was obvious he would turn out to be the guilty party, but I still think its a wonderful story.

• A Truly Perfect Gentleman (The True Gentlemen #6)
  • 1794 - Charlotte (The Legend of Nimway Hall #2)
  • Forever and a Duke (Rogues to Riches, #3)
  • 1818 - Isabel (The Legend of Nimway Hall #3)
  • 1940: Josie (The Legend of Nimway Hall #4)
  • Love and Other Perils: A Regency Novella Duet
  • Someone to Trust (Westcott, #5)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • Untouchable (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas, #3)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Tightrope (Burning Cove, #3)
  • The Rogue Who Rescued Her (The Brethren #3)
  • Once Upon a Wedding (Honeymoon Harbor)
  • Someone to Honor (Westcott, #6)
  • The Bachelor (Duke Dynasty, #2)
  • The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)
  • A Woman of True Honor  (True Gentlemen, #8)
  • Born to Be Wilde (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #3)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Casebook of Barnaby Adair (5 books)
  • Where the Heart Leads (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #1)
  • The Masterful Mr. Montague (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #2)
  • Loving Rose: The Redemption of Malcolm Sinclair (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #3)
  • The Confounding Case of the Carisbrook Emeralds (Casebook of Barnaby Adair, #4)