Start by marking “The Events at Branxbourne” as Want to Read:
The Events at Branxbourne

The Events at Branxbourne

“Whatever else happens, and we may expect dark days ahead, never doubt that in this moment, beneath this perfect blue sky, on this warm September day, you are loved as no other woman has ever been loved before. You are loved for all that you are, for all you once were, and for all that you will come to be.”
- Fitzwilliam Darcy

Lady Lambert, or Elizabeth Bennet as she was
Published May 30th 2018 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Events at Branxbourne, please sign up.
Caitlin Williams Hi Donna
It will be released on 2nd June, or maybe a couple of days before.
Hi Donna
It will be released on 2nd June, or maybe a couple of days before.
The first chapter is on Austen Variations - and an extract will be posted on Just Jane 1813 today. It will be available on Kindle Unlimited when released. Thanks.
(less)

Start your review of The Events at Branxbourne
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
5 stars!

Review and Giveaway at Of Pens and Pages.

First impressions, though I once believed them so vehemently, cannot be relied upon. It is the most important lesson I have learnt.”

The Events at Branxbourne is an angst-filled, wonderfully-weaved Pride and Prejudice variation that will make your heart race, break, and heal again. With a beginning that promises an eventful journey, to say the least, and a middle that captures your complete attention, this is a book that will keep you invested
Debbie
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I picked this up, I couldn't stop until I finished. I was up all night reading. Whenever that happens, I know I have to give 5 stars or even more, if I could.

It's an incredibly compelling story but a difficult one. Don't dig in expecting a light, happy Pride and Prejudice variation. Talk about gut-wrenching! The tone is definitely gothic. In one section, the plot even incorporates a broken down old castle to add to the dark, heavy atmosphere.

Events in the second half of P&P did not
Sheila Majczan
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is one which reaches out and grabs you and won't let go. If I did not have to sleep due to age and health issues I would have been reading this into the wee hours of the morning.

Caitlin shared the first chapter on a blog. It has us at a scene in which Elizabeth's husband lies covered with blood at her feet and her hands are also besmeared with it. Her Lady's Maid comes upon her and states that Elizabeth will hang. Then we flash back, mainly over the last 6 months.

As the story
Leslie
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"You know you got to go through hell
Before you get to heaven" - Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner

A few days ago I was lamenting that I was terribly bored with the JAFF/ P&P what ifs I was reading. I was seriously contemplating that perhaps it was time for me to cut back upon or give up on the genre all together. I have probably started 20 books in the past month or so which I would grow weary of at around 46%, and the ones that I finished seemed more like a slog than a pleasure. Luckily for
Anna Fitzwilliam
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would give it 10 stars if I could. What a book, what a wonderful story.

I believe I love to read more about D&E not only because P&P is an amazing book, but because they are both fascinating characters. Anyway, sometimes, I feel that my joy of reading about them is fading away. But, then, books as 'The Events at Branxbourne' makes me love them all over again.

What a talented author. Caitlin Williams is really blessed, she not only get to write compelling and passionate stories, but
Carole (in Canada)
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austenesque Readers, Romance
Shelves: favorites, variations

"Nobody is more fit to judge us than ourselves." (quote from the book)

I know it is a story and these characters are not real, but they are so real in my heart and mind!!

"Never have we been attuned to one another, never in step, not until now. Only in this final moment are we together, both so terribly still, so horribly silent." (quote from the book)

What can I say but that I was engulfed by this book. You can feel Elizabeth's apprehension like pinpricks on your skin. So much tragedy and pain
Christina
This book should come with a warning: UNPUTDOWNABLE. Delicious angst between our dear couple and hauntingly poignant story that will surely stay with you for days after. Excellent prose, realistic characters, heart pounding scenarios, and effortless “Regency” style. This is a MUST READ.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What If Elizabeth Was An Unhappily Married Viscountess?

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Pride and Prejudice Variation

TIME FRAME: Begins 4 years after the events of Pride and Prejudice

SYNOPSIS:

Steering our beloved Pride and Prejudice off course after Elizabeth’s visit to Kent, Caitlin Williams implements some drastic changes in her latest variation. Mr. Darcy does not encounter Elizabeth again until four years after his disastrous proposal – they never meet at Pemberley and an upset Mr. Bingley
Joana Starnes
Shelves: austen-related
Whenever Caitlin Williams releases a new book, I know it’s a must-read and that I’ll love it. With ‘The Events at Branxbourne,’ the premise also told me that the book was going to be awesome and heart-wrenching, keeping me on tenterhooks until I learned the reason (and above all, the conclusion) for the staggering scene the book opens with: blood on her hands, Elizabeth is seeking to come to grips with the violent end to her unhappy marriage. She has murdered her husband, and expects to hang.
It’
Christina Morland
Caitlin Williams created what I had hitherto believed impossible: a Pride and Prejudice variation that employs elements of the Gothic while maintaining that essential Austenesque spirit of Elizabeth and Darcy. (Given Austen’s teasing approach to Gothic literature in Northanger Abbey, as well as Charlotte Bronte’s disdain for Austen’s “commonplace” writing, I’ve always believed Austen and Gothic to be like oil and water.)

This story challenged me in all the best ways: I was forced to consider why
Madenna U
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Pride and Prejudice variation takes place years after the proposal at Hunsford. Elizabeth did not take a trip to Derbyshire and therefore there was no reconciliation. In at attempt for her life to go on, Elizabeth marries and becomes a Viscountess. A twist of fate re-introduces Darcy and Elizabeth at an Assembly and, from that point, Darcy cannot stay away. He has not forgotten her and yearns to learn about her life and to help her in anyway possible - because she seems to need it.

The
Aly Schne
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece

I'm not one to usually write reviews, but I felt inclined to do so for this amazing work of art. I won't go into long details about what happens because you should just read it. Instead, what more can I say except Caitlin Williams has written another masterpiece of a Pride and Prejudice variation. I went into this with high expectations after loving her other works, and she didn't let me down. If anything, it makes me want to go back and read her other stuff again!
Brenda Webb
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best stories of 2018! Loved it.
Mary Ann
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 starsThe Events at Branxbourne: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
By maryannon June 4, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
A well written novel that shows lost loves, heartache, mystery, suspense and even murder. Caitlin has a way with the written word that keeps you from putting the novel down. I kept reading it until it was finished. The novel is a variation of Jane Austen's, " Pride and Prejudice," and if you have never read it, you might be a little confused as to why Darcy and Elizabeth's
Joan
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Avid Reader

As always, I loved this writer's work. The viscount apparently suffered from bipolar disorder and made Elizabeth 's life a living hell. She married him after Jane died from an inflammation of the lungs shorty after Elizabeth returned from Kent. As a result of Jane's death, Bingley ended his friendship with Darcy once Darcy revealed his part in separating Jane and Bingley. Darcy didn't know that Jane had died until he met Elizabeth again three years later. He was able to understand why
Leona
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
A somewhat disappointing read. I felt the soul of the characters was missing.

I don't mind that the events change, but don't change the heart and soul of the best loved characters in history. Secondly, the plot moved very slowly.
Nanglil
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent But Darkness Abounds

Even though there is a final HEA, this story is filled with sadness. When Elizabeth finally revealed the horror and extent of all she suffered, I was appalled. It bothered me that there was no exoneration for the footman. A wonderful read, but be warned, there is much injustice to be pondered. (Abuse, poverty, tyranny, betrayal, mental illness, etc.). Indeed, a very haunting and serious tale.
Judy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sad tale but worth the read

A shockingly sad tale of what might have happened if a series of bad circumstances changed the lives of Elizabeth and Darcy. I could not stop reading, I wanted to know what happened next. This was a well written story.
Deb Hughes
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read

A book full of surprises, intrigue and a changed Elizabeth Bennet...Lady Lambert and the everlasting love that has gripped Mr Darcy. Very well-written...I could not put it down!
Gail Frisby
Great

Loved it but don't like Darcy or Lizzy to marry other people . Glad of HE A bit wished for an epilogue.
Lynn
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another Great Read From Caitlin Williams.

This book started out with such a stress filled scene, that I found myself full of angst through much of it. However, the characters were developed so well and the writing was such that I did not want to stop reading. There were points in the book where I thought there just couldn't be a positive ending, but I am happy to say I found the conclusion to the story very satisfying. This is a book I will remember for a long time.
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
A stunner of a novel from an author I can never get enough stories from. Hauntingly emotive, highly original, and written in such powerful prose. This is Darcy and Elizabeth as you’ve never seen them before...

Cover reveal at Just Jane 1813 on May 22 and what a cover it is!!
Jenny
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and one of the best I have read... but it is a heavy and sad tale with angst, suffering and betrayal aplenty!

Somewhat unusually, this book starts with what is actually a huge twist and turning point in the book. Elizabeth is standing over her dead husband, Viscount Lambert! What follows is the back story to this event, which as you would expect, is not an easy ride.

Elizabeth never travelled to Derbyshire so did not meet Darcy again until years after she married. Bingley
Talia
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Caitlin Williams. That was all I needed to know to order this book. She is one of the BEST Jaff authors. This book grabs you from the beginning and never lets go. There is only one drawback to me but no spoilers from this reviewer. But I ask, is she a clean author? I think so. It is a slow burner but instead of getting impatient you savor. She is great!

Reread: Terrific.

Reread: Best JAFF!
Suzan Lauder
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author is gifted in her ability to set the scene, to create a mood. Lovely descriptive sections abounded in this book, and that part made it a joy to read. The cover is lovely and the premise is unique. The book falls greatly short of the promised angst; however, I'm an angst lover, so this will be good news to those who are angst weenies. Yes, you can read this book!

If you're able to keep in the Regency spirit despite the flaws, then you'll enjoy it like I did. The burn was that someone, be
James S
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
P&P variation or gothic novel or...

Both.

To me it seems the author has crated a good gothic story but shined the light of a Regency romance on it. Luckily it can be read as either or for the best enjoyment it can be read as it’s own special noir.

I’m not one to describe the plot when a book is so new. I will say it was original and very satisfying to read.

Recommended
Donna
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: more mature audiences or those who can deal with dark subjects.
This is a very dark story that is well-written. It goes into what is forbidden territory for unmarried Darcy and Lizzy who is married to a man she thought she loved, but who turned out to be a Manic Depressive or a viscount with a bipolar disorder and gambling addition (as we would call it today). Darcy never married, and Lizzy tried to stay away, but could not. She was a badly abused wife who tried to keep her problems to herself. It is heart wrenching, well written though there's a few minor ...more
Susan  Ferkany
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A different twist but a happy ending

This variation on our dearest couple's story was rather uncomfortable at first. There is no re-do from the failed proposal in Kent. Instead, Darcy retreats, dear Jane never recovers and Elizabeth falls to poetry, not waiting to take a better measure of her Viscount. The story, from a shocking prologue, unfolds through both Darcy's and Elizabeth's voices. The tension builds until you are holding you breath, wondering how D and E will ever recover. A very
john tanner
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh so, so good!

Five stars is nowhere near enough for this wonderful story. I loved every word and really didn't want it to end.
Linda L. Viall
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book and story!

Completely different from any other variation I have read. Most of the main characters remain, but the villains are different but even more dangerous. Quite an enjoyable read.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Matter of Honor: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Elizabeth and Darcy: Ardently Yours: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Wild Goose Chase: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Nefarious: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
Caitlin Williams lives in Kent, England, with her family.

She fell in love with all things Regency as a teenager, but particularly admires the work of Jane Austen and the way she masterfully combines humour and romance, while weaving them through such wonderful stories and characters.

Her debut novel, Ardently, was written as a hobby, usually with her laptop balanced on the kitchen worktop, typing