Start by marking “The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)

The Cuckoo's Calling

(Cormoran Strike #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  438,465 ratings  ·  31,815 reviews
The Cuckoo's Calling is a 2013 crime fiction novel by J. K. Rowling, published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

A brilliant mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to
Published April 30th 2013 by Mulholland Books (first published April 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cuckoo's Calling, please sign up.
Jennifer Maloney I think it was because she wanted to see if she could be a mystery writer because she's good at it, rather than because she's the writer of the…moreI think it was because she wanted to see if she could be a mystery writer because she's good at it, rather than because she's the writer of the best-selling series of all time. Same reason Stephen King has an alias. Something about the fame makes people wonder if audiences actually like their work or are just buying it because of who they are.(less)
Anna Mmm that's not quite right; Strike meets Charlotte when he is 19 and at college. The reference to Tracey is from a photo at Lucy's 30th birthday when…moreMmm that's not quite right; Strike meets Charlotte when he is 19 and at college. The reference to Tracey is from a photo at Lucy's 30th birthday when Tracey was 'a fellow SIB officer', and 'he had been in possession of two legs'. Lucy had hoped her brother would marry Tracey, but Tracey had married a mutual friend and had a daughter. Ch9 p291 It sounds like they were dating in one of the many off moments with Charlotte. ' she had lured him away from Tracey...only to dump him'. Ch2 p210 kindle edition(less)

·  438,465 ratings  ·  31,815 reviews

Start your review of The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)
Emily May
Jul 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Feb 3rd 2014 - Extra things you should know:
1) This is a negative review. If you are looking for reviews that confirm what you are already certain of (that JKR can do no wrong) here are some examples of positive reviews for you - 1, 2, 3.
2) I used some Mary Poppins gifs to make my point in this review. It seemed funny at the time. If you find MP gifs stupid/annoying/beneath you, then please feel free to go to the reviews I linked before.
3) I will no longer reply to comments saying I am stupid or didn't
Jane Stewart
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dull & tedious. I was frustrated with the style of writing. There’s no action. It’s all conversation. I wanted it to be over.

COURTROOM STYLE CONVERSATIONS - TELLING NOT SHOWING:
Private eye Strike is investigating a death. Throughout the book Strike has long conversations with many different characters. It felt like a courtroom, asking witnesses 30 or more questions one right after the other. Many of these were discussions about what “might have happened. For example “I don’
Jayson
(B+) 79% | Good
Notes: A prototype yet to find its footing; its complex, interview-heavy plot poker-faces all clues until a bursting end reveal.
Jason Lalljee
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE 2: This is my final review of the book. Most of what I included in my preemptive thoughts is here, so you don't have to read this whole... thing.

Potential television series title #21: LONDON STRIKE

Alright, let’s address the hippogriff in the room: finding out that J.K. Rowling published a book under a pseudonym is something that I had I expected might happen post-Potter (and, embarrassingly, searched for), but when the question was brought up as to whether or not she'd write under one, she dism
Susan
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully entertaining new crime debut, which although it contains nothing amazingly original, works really well. Firstly, there is the main character, Cormoran Strike - a wounded war veteran, with a troubled past, damaged love life and financial woes, which see him sleeping in his office when we first meet him. Strike has left the army, which provided him with the structure and home life his mother never could, and set up as a Private Detective. The only problem is, a lack of paying ...more
Namratha
A first-time author who goes by the unassuming name of Robert Galbraith comes out with a mystery novel called The Cuckoo’s Calling . The book receives favourable reviews and is wholeheartedly accepted by the fraction of the populace that reads it.

And then (and this I borrow from reliable old Wikipedia), the Sunday Times scratches it’s stubbly chin and wonders how a first-time author with a background in the army and the civilian security industry, could write such an assured debut novel.

So, after much sleuthing and an inquisitive(and
Mohammed Arabey
Meet Cormoran's First Strike..

His first 'Mystery' which haunt me from the early beginning,
even the epigraph.
You should have come to the cuckoo’s calling,

It starts When snow was falling..and a 'Cuckoo' fell...
A famous model star fall off the balcony to her tragic death..the paparazzi gather around her body just as they did when she was alive..
Meet Cormoran's First Strike..

His first 'Mystery' which haunt me from the early beginning,
even the epigraph.
You should have come to the cuckoo’s calling,

It starts When snow was falling..and a 'Cuckoo' fell...

Her neighbor assert that she heard her arguing and shouting with a man "The Killer" right before seeing her fall.
The police declare that's a lie, the DNA proves there was no stranger there..All the evidences and investigation declare she was alone.
The result is what the police saw was clear from the beginning..Suicide.

'Celebrities always go cuckoo..depression would drive them for that' Some say.
'She was exciting about her new big contract and upcoming trip..she was far from suicide act' Others say.

You'll find thorough the investigations and evidences that no trace of a killer in the scene..
so ...it's Suicide
Case Closed.

And then our Story begins

3 Months later

Robin
,A beautiful blonde young lady living her Best Romantic days after getting engaged to her boyfriend ,Went to work as a Temp secretary for some office, she "surprised" to find out the business of the office is her long lost childish ambition of work..
It was an office of A.. Private Detective..

Cormoran Strike
,An ex-Military, Private detective Living his Worst days of his life, just separated from his fiance, His office just got one client..with all his debts; He just stuck with a new temp secretary he can't even afford paying her for her only week...unless he saved by a wealthy client..

John Bristow ,An unexpected new "wealthy" client to Strike's office, as a favor for old friendship between Strike and the latter's brother .. He came for the detective to dig up a very famous case that he didn't agree with its results...A case of his dead -adopted- sister...A Famous Model...Lula Landry

Yes..Lula Landry "Cuckoo" is the famous Model we've witnessed her tragic death at the first scene...
You should have come to the cuckoo’s calling,
Or when grapes are green in the cluster,
Or, at least, when lithe swallows muster
For their far off flying
From summer dying.

Why did you die when the lambs were cropping?
You should have died at the apples’ dropping,
When the grasshopper comes to trouble,
And the wheat-fields are sodden stubble,
And all winds go sighing
For sweet things dying.

As I've said, the story will haunt you from the very early beginning, its first scene..even from this 19th Century Poem.
Although I've never been into poems & poetry, But this haunting one -may be cause I've heard it also on youtube- makes me really into the mode of "The Cuckoo's Calling".

Also I have to say that Rowling has a great epigraphs choices, like in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" with 2 epigraphs that fit with the final story of Harry"

Also It haunt me for a 'Déjà vu' for an accident that happened 12 years ago almost like the beginning of this novel,also in London..
A death of A Sweetheart,A Cinderella of Egyptian Cinema...that her case's investigations was almost identical to the case of Cuckoo..from the first scene..
description

I love also the glimpse for famous tragic death of celebrity which "pushed" by paparazzi or even cases closed "wrongly" as suicide.

descriptiondescription
description

There's also that great tribute for the soldiers who are trying to readjust with civilian life after leaving the military one for a reason or another.

Some may say it's a bit slow in the first half, but I really respect, even adore that detailed characters and events..it makes me get to know more about Strike and the lovely Robin as I'm with them in the Private Detective office.. and their cool 'professional' relation.

I've actually got into the case of Lula, investigated with Strike the evidences and tried to interview everyone who was near from Lula the day of her death..And I've even got a GREAT experience decipher the "Body Language" while investigating some characters.

And by the half of the novel
-As I've written most of this review, right now- I've really wondered ; Is it really a suicide..or a Murder?

************************
The Setting ; London
*****************

I used to say in Dan Brown's Novels reviews That it's better to use Illustrated edition or keep searching in Google Image search for the places he describe brilliantly in his novels. The same is here..

J.K. Rowling talent in creating a beautifully Magical world in Harry Potter, or realistic fictional Pagford in The Casual Vacancy proved to be still great in describing the magic of real places as London.

You'll really love to see the statue of Eros; Piccadilly Circus while Robin starts a new step in her romantic life..
description
You'll walk up and down Denmark Street and 12 Bar Café with its Music Instruments and where The Detective office Locates.
description
You'll be in real famous Pubs and Bars in London with its Victorian faces.
description
And these pubs' windows view of the 1920s building decorated with statues by Jacob Epstein
description
And on the top of all , The elegant Victorian houses at the most wealthy neighborhood and streets like Bellamy Road and Mayfair.
description
The bottom line is ,you're invited to a lovely journey into the heart of London at the moment you start the novel.

************************
The Characters
************
One more time, like all her work, The author writes the characters
-even the secondary ones- in very detailed way, you discover more about them and their past by each new chapter, which really makes you as if you actually Living with them..and in this case,you're trying to solve a hidden mystery in a case with the Detective...

**** Cormoran Strike ****
description
Make a lot of thinking who would play him, -specially it wasn't clear his age at till book two- Alan Rickman is too old, may be Robert Downey Jr. but he's not English -although it didn't stop him being Holmes - and finally Hugh Jackman :)who I stuck with, some suggested Hagrid "without the costumes of course"

Ex-Military still love discipline of the military life; Can't live with it anymore though ..and not because of his injury.
Private Detective with big debts...just a client or two in the best days..and not even investigate the crazy death threatens he got regularly.
Adore his ex-fiancee Charlotte..but can't live with her lies..
Illegitimate son for a famous star..Hates it'd be his "fame".

A very complicated character that you'll love to know him better page after page.. Wanting to know more about him and may you'd end up like me ..Waiting more books for him.

**** Robin Ellacott ****
description

A New Hermione-type. Super smart,clever, got the spirit of initiative. And this time,Super beautiful. As if Jo this time assert that women are smart even those super pretty ones.
I love how she got a childish dream of her being a Detective herself. and I got so attached with her complicated "romance and nonsense free" relation with Strike and I was praying she'd stay till the end and to see her again in the next books of the series.

**** Lula Landry "Cuckoo" ****
descriptiondescription

Emma Stone was the first face come in mind when I saw the US edition's cover,I know that at the novel she doesn't look like her at all
“With all the gallons of newsprint and hours of televised talk that have been poured forth on the subject of Lula Landry’s death, rarely has the question been asked: why do we care?

Why Do We Care?
Well, you'll know page by page.

You'll get into the real Lula or "Cuckoo" as she and her best pals calls her, by the testimony of her brother,the news and articles written about her that you know from Robin's internet search ,and the tales and testimonies of those who were near her, one by one by how close to her they were as the story goes.

But you'll get better look into her by reading with Strike her personal emails ,clear look as if you looking into her soul,or ghost.

I promise that,before the half of the novel as in my case, you'll really love to know more about that lovely ,complicated character of Lula...And you'll really Care..and wonder.
How Did Lula Landry really Die?

***********************
The Propaganda
*************

Fame sometimes is a double-edged sword..The Casual Vacancy's 500+ was rated 'one star' in few hours after its release JUST because it's not Harry-ish ; or some didn't like Harry Potter or Rowling herself.

I guess that's why the decision of publishing under Pseudonym..And honestly,as the writer, I wished it'd last longer "Even I may never hear about it unless it get good publicity or hit the news of up-coming movie based on it, And I'm sure I'll still LOVE it even if I didn't know it's Rowling's.
And if you saw the Goodreads main page of the book at 14th.July 2013 you'll find all of the reviews very positive and even 4.1+ rating and it didn't start getting a '1 Star' but after the announcement of the real author.

Anyway I'm sure Rowling get GREAT researching Robert-Galbraith bio. as seen on "About the Author" in the 1st Printing of the book
-which get sold out after few minutes of the announcement and auctioned with hundredth of dollars and I was lucky to get one of these 1st prints for this small captions about the author that wasn't at any other later printings.
description
ROBERT GALBRAITH spent several years with the Royal Military Police before being attached to the SIB (Special Investigative Branch), the plainclothes branch of the RMP. He left the military in 2003 and has been working since then in the civilian security industry. The idea for Cormoran Strike grew directly out of his own experiences and those of his military friends who returned to the civilian world. “Robert Galbraith” is a pseudonym.

You'd feel Robert's really like Strike himself..
It's clearly that J.K. Rowling did a lot of research about the Ex-Militarily officers and their lives. You'll touch that at many points in the novel.

***********************
Finally
*******
Haunting Case..Check description
Catching introduction for the main characters .. Check description
Smart Investigations .. Check description
Real Exercise on reading the Body Language .. Checkdescription
Marvelous setting ,very realistic; still magical.. Checkdescription

I fall in love with the mystery of this novel, the characters and every thing , I've read it slowly to keep it in my hand for as long as I can.
"took me 4 weeks reading almost as the same duration of the plot" And I'd really recommend it strongly to any crime thriller readers..

I love this praise
The Cuckoo's Calling reminds me why I fell in love with crime fiction in the first place (Val McDermid)

But in my case ..The Cuckoo's Calling is why I "newly" fell in love with crime fiction.
I loved investigatings and the detective work,with all the observation and reading the body language.
I loved the characters ,Robin is wonderful ,Lula even we don't have any "live" scene for her even no flashbacks but I truly attached to her case ,Liked her so much,she became a name for me and also.. Cormoran Strike Became a Name.

Reading from 2nd Oct. 2013
To 29th Oct. 2013

Start writting the review: 18th Oct. 2013

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ٍٍٍٍِْ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<<<<<<<<<< 14 / 7 / 2013 The First Review >>>>>>>>>>
The first impression about the news of the book "My birthday surprise" and I'd love to thank everyone like it or comment and I hope you'd like the final review..thanks for your support.

Yesterday ,after Midnight it was 14th July.....
My 30th Birthday :( :( :(description

But this News MADE My Day...And My YEAR

J.K Rowling??What?
This Book is J.K. Rowling's!!!!!
No more wait day after day for the plot of her new book, the cover, release dates etc..
No more "negative" reviews just for her name only after just hours of the release of the books As what happened withThe Casual Vacancy

That was what made me really Super HAPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

14th July 2013
Nataliya
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
“He had never been able to understand the assumption of intimacy fans felt with those they had never met.”
I'll venture a guess that J.K.Rowling is not a stranger to this feeling. Propelled to household-name fame for her lovely gift of imagination, she gets to experience the uglier side of fans' adoration - the side that comes with suffocating hard-to-meet expectations and stifling atmosphere of demanding hype. Is it any wonder she'd look for a respite in releasing a book under a pseudonym?

And yet yours truly is
Raeleen Lemay
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SOLID.

It was a bit too long for my taste (I feel like it could have had a little less dialogue and such), but I really liked the characters! Strike and Robin all day.
Alejandro
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, detective
I like detective novels and I am a fan of J.K. Rowling, so when I found out that this "Robert Galbraith" was a pseudonym of Rowling, I thought that it was the perfect combination of elements that I have to read the book as soon as possible.

I have to admit that in good amount of the book I wasn't enjoying it so much. I was feeling it too slow, and nothing exciting was happening, since Cormoran Strike, the detective, wasn't doing much just asking questions to each witness and the event
Jane Walker
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm a bit puzzled by the rave reviews. It's okay, but a fairly run-of-the-mill detective story. A private eye with a silly name solves a murder mystery, and there is a long exposition at the end of the how and why. The characters are quite well drawn, and the writing is competent, but I wouldn't seek out any further books with the same star.

I didn't know, when I reviewed this, that it was written by J K Rowling! But it doesn't change my view.
Diane Wallace
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read! good detective work,action pact,little mysterious and some interesting storyline..the only negative about this book-the plot was slow to get into but picked up eventually..nice ending which only leads to this story continuing..can't wait to see what happen in book#2 (paperback!)
Crumb
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hard-boiled mystery about the suspicious suicide of a supermodel and a curmudgeon as the detective, who delves into the underground world of the rich and famous, daring to ask questions no one else will.

This was the first book I've ever...wait for it... read by J.K. Rowling writing under a pseudonym as Robert Galbraith. Is this your reaction?

Or perhaps, you look a little like this?

Or perhaps, you look a little like this?

I know, I know.. where have I been? How could I have never read the Harry Potter series? To be honest, the hell if I know. In addition, I'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre. Anyhow, this was a great mystery novel. Although I figured out the "who-dunnit," I didn't wholly realize who it was until the last 50 pages. There were some parts that lagged, but overall, the writing was very well executed. I can't compare it to any of her other books, as I haven't read them, but if you like mysteries, especially those of the "who-dunnit" variety, you will definitely eat this one up.

Philip
3.5ish stars.

Far from perfect, but far from awful. Despite its many faults it's never less than highly readable and fluid. It's never particularly pulse-pounding but it somehow always held my attention.

It honestly isn't twisty or suspenseful enough for me. It's super streamlined and reads more or less like a series of neat, orderly interviews with each of the various players in the mystery. Even at the 11 o'clock reveal, there's never a sense of danger or serious tension,
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
“How could the death of someone you had never met affect you so?”

I remember being utterly and absolutely excited when I heard about a new J. K. Rowling. London, a detective and a dead topmodel. Yup, I was head over heels. So naturally I ordered it rightaway and started reading as soon as it arrived.
I wasn't let down. While I remained a little skeptical about A Casual Vacancy (which in my eyes is unfairly rated - it's a great novel), I fell in love with The Cuckoo's Calling at first sight. The plot
Tomoe Hotaru
16 Jul' 2013

Full confession:
Pfft yeah, I totally did grab this after I heard it was written by JK Rowling?

Mostly because I hadn't even heard of this book prior to the news. But the blurb itself makes it sound like my type of novel on a cold, rainy day, regardless of the author.

Look, I'd like to pretend as if I were one of those people who wouldn't give a limp banana that Rowling wrote this book. I'd love to have the same level of self-restraint to cringe my nose in disgust and walk away from the bandwagon.
But, so help me God, I do l
Alex is The Romance Fox
I’m about to reveal my secret!!!!!!!! I have purchased lots and lots of Harry Potter’s books – you know the time that every small and big kid wanted one….well, I gave them out as birthday and Christmas presents….but me…. I haven’t read any of them….though my son devoured each book and I have the entire series in my bookcase…I just haven’t had that “read me, read me” pull….Yes, truly!!!.
I started book #1 and gave up after a couple of chapters. I know….I should have persevered but I did not…….may
Jon
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!

When it was revealed that J.K. Rowling had written a novel under the pseudonym, Robert Galbraith; I knew I had to read it. Rowling filled my childhood with magic, intrigue, and beauty with her Harry Potter series so I was eager to read her sophomore adult novel. It angers me how Rowling was betrayed by a friend who had revealed that she was the genius behind The Cuckoo's Calling. Every cloud does have it's silver lining and now, million
Melindam
I admit that I am not a great fan of contemporary detective fiction. I find most books are too grim, even perverted with gratuitous violence, or unnecessarily long-winded with too much forced, fake-philosophical contemplation from detectives instead of actual action.

So I am happy to say that I enjoyed JKR's debut detective novel a lot. The minus 1 star is for the writing, which had a superfluity of totally awkward metaphors & "artistic" descriptions & over-complicated sentenc
❄️Nani❄️
Oh, wow.

I’m speechless. I am speechless at how bad this was.

The only thing that kept me from quitting altogether was the characters. The only two, to be precise.

I was more interested in Strike and Robin’s personal lives than that sorry excuse for a mystery plot.
The entire mystery/thriller (?) element of the book and the investigation process were so painfully and mind numbingly boring that not only did I forget every single character the moment they were no longer in the scene, I also seriou
Warda
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

Wow! This exceeded my expectations. I absolutely loved it! Why I was hesitant about it in the first place, I don't know, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have. Such a fantastic start to a crime series I know I'll love. Should've known, really. As if you could expect anything less than remarkable from J.K. Rowling herself. Her majesty, the queen.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: 19May19 Kindle Daily Deal $4.99

After reading The Casual Vacancy I had decided that I probably wouldn’t read any of her adult fiction books. I didn’t expect it to be like Harry Potter but I really wasn’t expecting it to be more of a character study and it was really bleak. I was depressed after reading it. I mention this because I didn’t have very high hopes going into The Cuckoo’s Calling and therefore I am pleasantly surprised.

This is a pretty straight up who-dun-it. There isn’t a
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
1.) The Cuckoo's Calling ★★★★
2.) The Silkworm ★★★

--------------------------------------------------

SO GOOD. I literally had NO IDEA who the killer was until the very end. Jo is such a clever woman!
Gail
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two words for this: simply stunning.

Cormoran Strike is my new hero. What an absolutely fantastic character Robert Galbraith has created. I just love everything about him, his size, his lovely caring attitude and his fearless quest to uncover the truth of the apparent suicide of Lula Landry, supermodel.

Coromoran is hired by Lula's adoptive brother, John Bristow, to investigate her death as he doesn't believe she committed suicide, albeit the Police do and have ruled it so. There is a
Ships
For me 5 stars, I stumbled on this by accident and glad I did..

Strike ia a Cornish ex-military policemen, based in London, at a very low point in his life, Strike is sinking fast. I loved his clever, sharp stubborn character, especially the prickly ebb and flow relationship with his quick witted sidekick secretary Robin.
The other plus for me was the twisty, story line, I did not guess who did it at all! was rather shocked in the end but in a good way, having just read 2 out of
Reading Corner
For me, this book didn't stand out especially in this genre. The plot wasn't very interesting and I only really found it exciting towards the last hundred pages. The best bit for me was the characters as I loved how well they were developed and how they interacted with others, especially Cormoran Strike.

The story follows Cormoran Strike, a private investigator and ex military man who has been left with a severe injury as a reminder and has to cope mentally and physically with his injury.
Michael
I root for this author to make a successful genre break from fantasy to mystery. The plot is clever and the characters wonderfully drawn, but the slow build-up and a bit of overreaching in the prose kept my overall pleasure level at about average. I am eager to see this novel grow as a series and have confidence it will do so.

It seems fitting that just as a favored literary mystery writer, Kate Atkinson, moves into fantasy, this favored fantasy writer makes an excursion toward literary mystery.
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This novel begins slowly. I actually almost put it down but then I thought it's JK Rowling-give it a chance.
Cormoran Strike is a down on his luck private detective. He has a famous father who he has no contact with, his live in girlfriend and he split up, he is living in his office, no money, one leg..the list goes on. He doesn't play the pity party though. It's just statements of life. He actually doesn't like people finding out those facts.
He takes on a client who believes that his supermode
Eliza
DNF

Ah, come on. Why couldn't I just enjoy a different series written by J.K. Rowling? I was really expecting to love this, which may be why I pretty much came to hate it. Or, at least I think so. What I'm trying to say is that my expectations were really high. I mean, really high. Still. I was so bored reading this that I opted to just sit and listen to music rather than read. And that literally never happens with me. I always read if I have time to.

All right, getting straight to the point
Kristina Horner
Guys, I don't know what took me so long. I finally read this book, and I absolutely loved it.

The writing is excellent. I did not guess the ending. The audio narration is superb. It reminded me of a sort of Doctor-and-companion meets Veronica Mars and I can't wait to read the next two.

• Gone Girl
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Girl on the Train
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad #1)
  • And Then There Were None
  • Dark Places
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • Sharp Objects
  • The Casual Vacancy
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Boter 1  (The Godfather, #1)
  • In Cold Blood
  • The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race, #1)
  • Speaking from Among the Bones (Flavia de Luce, #5)
  • The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)
  • Started Early, Took My Dog (Jackson Brodie, #4)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This is a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series and The Casual Vacancy.

NOTE: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.
Robert Galbraith - Marine Biologist

Rowling was born to Anne Rowling (née Volant) and Peter James Rowling, a Rolls-Royce aircraft engineer, on 31 July 1965 in Yate, Gloucestershire, England, 10 miles (16 km) northeast of Bristol. Her mother Anne was half/>

Cormoran Strike (5 books)
  • The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2)
  • Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3)
  • Lethal White (Cormoran Strike #4)
  • Untitled (Cormoran Strike, #5)
“How could the death of someone you had never met affect you so?” 326 likes
“The dead could only speak through the mouths of those left behind, and through the signs they left scattered behind them.” 239 likes