Start by marking “Get Up Mum” as Want to Read:
Get Up Mum

Get Up Mum

Published May 21st 2018 by Affirm Press

To ask other readers questions about Get Up Mum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Up Mum

Laura McKay
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've never reviewed a book before. I tend to avoid it because my friends are writers who produce incredible books and I don't want to seem biased. Justin is a friend and now I'm going to seem biased. This is the best book I've read in a long time. It's a perfect study in tension. The voice is such careful balance of pre-adolescent observation (in the book, Justin is 12) and devastating insights into the human condition. Reviewers keep describing it as heartwarming. It's not. It's a finely wrough ...more
Evie Mcgee
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy to read and simple writing so was a quick read. However was a good insight into the lives of children of parents with mental illness and the responsibility often placed upon them.
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fapmi
There are no words to adequately capture the beauty of this book. I loved how it was told in first person, from the perspective of 12 year old Justin, and how it brings to life the deep and complex love between a child and a mentally ill parent. Everyone should read it.
Chai
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a book critic, but I do want to say how this book is important to me.

The author of this book actually very kindly sent me the copy I own after I reached out to him. I'd been a fan of his music since I was young and a subscriber of the newsletter for something like a decade. I also had no idea about Get Up Mum until I read about it in his newsletter. Like the author, I also grew up in a home where I had to be both a carer in a situation that was both scary and isolating and that I didn't
Rania T
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aspects of this read are a trip down memory lane for anyone who grew up in Australia in the '90's, what with all the cultural references of that time. Another aspect of this book is Justin's struggle with living with a mother battling mental illness and how difficult it must have been at times to cope with such a burden at such a young age, what with all the stigma surrounding schizophrenia at the time. Particularly poignant is the time he spends with his Nan and Pop and his need to record every ...more
Sherry Mackay
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this book a bit annoying. It went on too long and didn’t have any resolution or denouement. It just .... ended. So we don’t have a clue as to what happened with the author’s life or his mum or his grandparents. I also found the endless boy stuff a bit tedious. Why does it only concentrate on when he was 12 and 13? Why do we find out virtually nothing about his mum’s life and what happened to her in Norway ? Please get a good editor, and fill in the details. Too long, too tedious.
Francesca Pashby
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
It is so hard living with someone with a mental illness because it makes them selfish ... JH has an immense weight on his young shoulders with only a limited amount of family support, and the love he and his mother have for each other is definitely there ... but talk about hard earned! First book I remember reading that writes from the perspective of someone 'along for the ride'.
Darby Hudson
Written as a 12 year old, things pass by - unfettered and unjudged by adult Justin. So sometimes something quite profound may pass by if you're not paying attention.

I think this may be the first pop-culture book to unearth an area that's not really talked about at all - even in mental health circles: kids having to parent single mentally ill parents.
Kat  D.
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A deeply personal perspective shared in such a relatable voice. Funny, sweet and heart wrenchingly sad.
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An evocative heart warming memoir I found incredibly relatable. Justin aptly describes so many moments from just one year in his life with his Mum.
Ryan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I got bored and started skim reading through some of the chapters. Also got frustrated it wasnt pointed out clearly or maybe it was, the disease his mum was suffering. Was it schizophrenia?
Catherine
Jun 29, 2018
SHR
Aug 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Get Up Mum (childhood memoir) out now.

“Justin Heazlewood is nothing short of one of Australia’s most versatile and important storytellers. Music and comedy fans know him best as the ARIA award-nominated Bedroom Philosopher, a moniker under which Heazlewood has released several albums of incisive, brutally funny and often heartbreaking songs.

However, it’s Justin’s written work that really hits me