Start by marking “Like a Love Story” as Want to Read:

Like a Love Story

It's 1989 in New York City, and for three teens, the world is changing.

Reza is an Iranian boy who has just moved to the city with his mother to live with his stepfather and stepbrother. He's terrified that someone will guess the truth he can barely acknowledge about himself. Reza knows he's gay, but all he knows of gay life are the media's images of men dying of AIDS.

Judy
Expected publication: June 4th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 04, 2019
    It’s 1989 in New York City, and for three teens, the world is changing.

A sprawling, epic love letter to the LGBTQ community, LIKE A LOVE STORY is a ro

Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaas Gaga yaaaaaaaaaaaaaas.
    Alana
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Last thirty minutes spent in tears. Stayed up wayyyy too late last night finishing it. Just a lovely book about friendship and love and fear during the AIDS crisis.
    A.R. Hellbender
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is my favorite read of the year thus far, and I have a lot to say about it, so we're gonna be here awhile.
    I would like to preface this by saying that I am bisexual and half-Iranian. However, that's just the tip of the iceberg of ways in which this book is a masterpiece that I could identify with.
    This takes place during an important time in queer history, when the fear of AIDS was so strong that anyone who was gay had to basically hide from who they were, or else they risked getting sick an
    Cazlam
    Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I spent the last thirty minutes of this crying so be warned.
    Candace
    Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Have you ever read a book that you finish and say you are a different person when you finish it? That's this book. There are books that are powerful and important and then there are books that are POWERFUL and IMPORTANT and this is the latter. This book impacted me on all levels. Beautiful, romantic, smart, quirky and so many other things. This is the book I never knew I desperately needed but once I read it I wondered where it has been the last 20 years. I have not cried this hard from a book i ...more
    Jamie
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I gulped this book down. While it’s a period piece about a trio of young people in NYC in the midst of the AIDS crisis, this book feels utterly timeless in its exploration of friendships, first loves, and family dynamics. Reza, Art, and Judy are three delicately written and complicated characters, and I’m so happy to have met them. I read a lot of books about gay boys and I read a lot of books about the AIDS crisis but I don’t know that I’ve read one about being this young and coming to grips wi ...more
    faith ✨
    This cover!!
    j.chestnut
    Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arcs, rtc
    guys. this book is breathtaking.
    i finished this last night and it might be because i finished at 11:30 pm but i was sobbing. this book is so good. it didn't have the ending i thought it was going to but honestly, it's more realistic this way. the author is so good at writing his characters. all of them are so realistic and have such different personalities. this is also own voices.
    just PLEASE read this. it comes out in june.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    i just got an arc of this and it better be as good as i think i
    Lorelei
    Dec 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
    WHY 2019 WHY?!?
    Rebecca
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    ARC provided by Edelweiss and the Publisher.

Oh my poor black broken heart.

For me as an individual who makes purchasing decisions for a YA collection in a public library ... looking at items that are considered "historical fiction" (in one sense or another ... and in some cases there are those that are decidedly more HistFic than others) is oftentimes difficult. Many HistFic titles for teens are WWII stories ... because just like adult readers, teens really like reading about WWII. Personally, I
    Ivy
    Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: coming-soon-19
    I mean, Mackenzie Lee loved it, and I love her. This is just simple Law of Syllogism stuff, guys.
    Teddy Elizabeth
    Nov 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: lgbtq, 2019, ya
    11/6/2018

I am SO EXCITED. Like, I am literally unable to fully express how excited I am for this book & how much I need it in my life. It literally pretty much fits every single thing I've been looking for these past few years. (My current research is on the AIDS Crisis.) AHHHH I'm so excited!!!!!!!
    Tamara
    Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, 5-stars, arcs
    The most important four-letter word in our history will always be LOVE. That's what we are fighting for. That's who we are. Love is our legacy.

Where is the hype for this book??

Like A Love Story is a novel about three teenagers who have to deal with a lot of difficult stuff, as teenagers do. Judy is an aspiring fashion designer, Art is gay and out and proud and Reza just came to New York from Iran and Canada and the only thing he knows about gay men is that he is one and that they die of AIDS.
    Erin
    Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I can't say enough good things about this gorgeous novel--certainly Nazemian's best to date. Told through four voices—three teens and one adult—this tale beautifully weaves together lives in a way that feels authentic. I wanted to pace this out, but at 3 a.m., found myself nearing the end, when a pair of scenes moved me to tears. Nazemian’s mastery of the teen voice makes this approachable and almost painfully earnest; he captures the vulnerability of coming-of-age and coming out in a time of ex ...more
    Mariana Calderon
    Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: lgbtq, ya-ya-friendly, poc
    This is a special and fantastic book that is tender and big-hearted as well. It really brings to life a part of Queer history that I was never taught. <3

Tender and big-hearted, this fantastic book will bring you to tears while also lifting you up and saying, "Look, LOOK! All these people came before you, and they made it, and though we lost many, many more will come after you, and you are all loved and beautiful."
    caitlin
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
    Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Fans of Becky Albartelli may enjoy this look back into the late 80s/early 90s New York City told through three varying viewpoints: the closeted immigrant, the proudly out rich boy, and their girl best friend. The love triangle is dramatic and the story is sad, but it was a compelling drama.
    Matt Spadafora
    Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is an absolute knockout. What I would do to give this to 16-year-old me.
    Mar 30, 2019
    • Going Off-Script
    • With the Fire on High
    • The Mimosa Tree
    • The Lost Coast
    Abdi Nazemian spent his childhood in a series of exciting locations (Tehran, Paris, Toronto, New York), but could usually be found in his bedroom watching old movies, listening to Madonna or reading Archie comic books. He currently resides in Los Angeles with his two children and his fiancé.

As Head of Development for Water's End Productions, Abdi has been an executive producer or associate produce