Start by marking “Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)

Brazen and the Beast

(The Bareknuckle Bastards #2)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  8,478 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews
New York Times Bestselling Author Sarah MacLean returns with the next book in the Bareknuckle Bastards series about three brothers bound by a secret that they cannot escape—and the women who bring them to their knees.

The Lady’s Plan

When Lady Henrietta Sedley declares her twenty-ninth year her own, she has plans to inherit her father’s business, to make her own fortune, and
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 342 pages
Published July 30th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Brazen and the Beast, please sign up.
Joyce The book stands well on its own, but I enjoyed it even more having read book 1 first. Hope this helps if you are still wondering!
Jessica It doesn't come out until the end of July. Though it's available for pre-order at bookshops now

·  8,478 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews

Start your review of Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
Sarah MacLean
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, mine, romance
This was not a woman who took tea. This was a woman who took the sun.

I know we're not supposed to play favorites. I know I'm supposed to love all my books equally. But I really really love this one, you guys. It's so close to my heart.

An incomplete list of the reasons why:

* Hattie: A smart, savvy, curvy girl with a talent for knots, who refuses to give up on her dreams simply because the whole world tells her she can't have them. She's got a five point plan to claim herself, her business, and her future.

* A grunty Beast of a hero, who is both a bareknuckle brui
Anovelqueen
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m
****4.5 STARS****

What do you get when you cross a tall, dark, handsome and wealthy king of the underworld with a no nonsense and spirited heroine....one hell of a novel!!!

This has to be my favorite book this year. It had everything including the alpha anti-hero. Saviour Whittington is the bastard son of a duke and has had to drag himself from the savage streets of London. But he is a survivor and becomes known as the Beast because of his fighting ability and protectiveness over those he cares a
Lubnaa (Romance Library)
I received an ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

description

What a colossal waste of time. I fear Brazen and the Beast marks the conclusion of my relationship with Sarah MacLean. It will take a LOT for me to ever read a new Sarah MacLean release.

The standard for historical romance has fallen so much that it's now deeply rooted in the earth, with no hope of it ever showing its face again. I cannot for the life of me understand how or why this series is so well-loved. I can't. It defies lo
chan ☆
on pause
Esther
Aug 14, 2019 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
I think SM and I are done.

We are parting ways.
This is a modern, with a push towards inserting political and culture view points, dressed as a historical romance (this stuff is not historically accurate or believable for the time period). In my humble opinion. And I found the dialogue/writing style to be repetitive, silly, unbelievable and off. I think that about covers it.

So it was fun while it lasted SM but unfortunately we need to part ways.
JenReadsRomance
Obviously, I host Fated Mates with Sarah, so I'm hardly an impartial reader. BUT. BUT. BUT.

This book is fucking great. I loved everything about it, especially Hattie. Her determination to prove herself worthy of inheriting her father's company even though she's a woman is such a great plot arc. And even though Whit respects her dream, I loved that she does not wait around for him to give her permission to do what she thought was right.

Whit is a delightful hero. I am ALL ABOUT a romance hero wh
Holly
Well, that was better than the first book (I still cringe at the mention of her terrible name, Felicity Faircloth) but it wasn’t as good as I hoped either. Hattie was a very sympathetic character up until (view spoiler). Whit never really grew on me because I already knew his shared history with Devil from the previous book and there was no real added depth in this book. Now Nora, that’s a book I want to read. And possibly Ewan’ ...more
preoccupiedbybooks
A fun, sexy historical romance full of strong, adventurous women, brooding/grunting men and some great banter!

Take one 29 year old woman with a plan to take control of her life, and a grunting hero, who both reads books and throws knives, who ends up unconscious in her carriage, and the year of Hattie starts becoming complicated...

The second book in the 'Bareknuckle Bastards' series was entertaining and fun, but quite silly and cheesy! I loved the first half of the book, and I loved Hattie, the
Addie H
On Kindle sale today 11th Aug 2020 for USD 2.99.

Tropes: Work Relationship-ish, Spinster/Wallflower, Forbidden Love, Scar (him), Unstarched (him)

description

*****
- “No man has ever gone up against the Bastards and survived.”
There might have been a time when she would have heeded that warning. But Hattie found she lacked the patience for warnings just then. What was there to lose? He’d already taken it all.
“Then it is time for a woman to do so.”

*****

The women in this series are fierce, way more admirable
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Brazen and the Beast was a solid historical romance with some pacing issues and other small problems that just knocked it down from "great" to "good."

I think I liked Brazen and the Beast slightly less than Wicked and the Wallflower, which seems to be a bit against the grain from my fellow reviewers. The ideas were all there, but it took me about a week to get through it, which isn't the best sign for me.

I really liked how Sarah MacLean made an effort to include a diverse cast of characters, in
Shawna
2.5 stars - Historical Romance

This was just an okay read for me. I had some of the same issues with it that I had with the first book in the series, Wicked and the Wallflower.

*Overused historical romance tropes
*Repetitive
*Slow pacing
*Self-perpetuated and manufactured drama keeping the H/h apart
georgie
Oct 20, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
How many times can this book say the word ‘plan’ in it’s description?

Seven. Seven times.
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
I really, really wish I didn’t struggle with this series like I do. Sarah MacLean is one of my favorite historical romance authors (she gave us the Rules of Scoundrels series, which I worship), but the Bareknuckle Bastards series just doesn’t seem to be working for me. It’s not BAD, but it’s not that great either. I found myself bored more than anything with Brazen and the Beast, which was the same issue I had with book one, Wicked and the Wallflower. The plot moved too slowly that I had to skim ...more
b.andherbooks
I official own three copies of Brazen and the Beast and sorry not sorry I'm keeping them all. I re-read my favorite book of 2019 via audio book, and let me tell you a grunting hero is a glorious thing to hear. Hattie and Whit are my ride or die couple and I'll be re-reading their story for years to come.

Sheer and utter perfection. I am here for #yearofhattie, Carrick bend knots used for sexy reasons (OMG JUST WAIT), and Beast, oh Beast.

MacLean has done it again and I cannot wait for everyone to
Hollis
MacLean sure has her work cut out for her for book three's couple. I truly don't see how that's ever going to work for me as a reader; and that's considering that I read the author's DAY OF THE DUCHESS where we had a similar need for redemption.. but. Wow. This one is a mountain vs that molehill. Curious to see how it'll go but not holding out much hope of enjoyment! At this point it's sheer curiosity pushing me on.

As for this book because, haha, this review should touch on something of the actu
MG *Bury Me with My Kindle.. & a REALLY Long Charger*
4 1/2 opposites attract sizzingly stars

Despite what the title suggests, this isn't really a beauty and the beast retelling -- it's more about what beauty means when viewed through other's lens(es). In this story, the person who is considered by most to be empirically beautiful is also known to be the "beast." Really. Like, that is what they actually call him. ;)

First, some brief context.... In this series, there are 4 people referred to as the "bastards." They all share two things in common: 1.
Stacee
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wicked and the Wallflower was one of my top books of 2018, and I was basically screaming when I got approved for Brazen.

I love love loved Hattie and Beast. They’re both so smart and so opinionated and the bickering was the best. I adored their arguing and reading how their relationship unfurled in the most deliciously slow way and of course the chemistry was insane. I loved Nora and was beside myself at seeing Devil and Felicity again.

Plot wise it was perfect. From Hattie taking charge of her ye
The Bookshelf Wars
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Flowery Prose and Plot Holes Abound

So I consider myself a fan of Sarah MacLean’s work; I’ve read all her books and I await each new release with breathless anticipation. Which is why it was strange how underwhelming this book was.

There’s a common misconception that the romance genre is all dashing heroes and overblown prose, and while it’s true that some of the genre definitely fits that description, I’ve usually held up MacLean’s work as an example of great romance novels. Her characters often
Mei
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked both Hattie and Whit! I liked them a lot!
What I didn't mind for was the way their inner thoughts were written: it seemed to me that there was a lot of repetition! It reminded me of Kerrigan Byrne style of writing: exaggerated!
I found the whole story rather rushed, the ending most of all! I had to suspend my belief because they actually fall in love with each other instantly! I would have liked less repeated inner musing and more banter between them!
Still I like the story and I'm looking
Megan Frampton
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might now be my favorite of Sarah MacLean's books, and that's saying a lot, since I absolutely adore her books. It's so well-written, so complete, such an altogether consuming story that it is absolutely and entirely satisfying. Swoon.
Natasha is a Book Junkie
“I am the heroine of my own play, sir.”

I’m an avid reader of historical romances, forever drawn to a world where dashing rogues fall head over heels in love with intrepid damsels, but few authors continue to amaze me with the way they engage so purposefully with female identity, body norms, and sexuality in their stories, rather than merely accept the traditionally accepted. And Sarah MacLean is one of those authors. There is so much to adore about her writing—from her elegant but sh
Escape_in_a_Book
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss. All comments/opinions are my own.

Ooooh this book. This poor poor book. Where does one even begin...

Let’s just jump right to it and state I am not a fan. If you’ve read the first book in this series, then you’ve read this already.

Three brothers, bastards. All born on the same day. At the same time. To three separate women. Two brothers are living in the seedy underbelly of London. One is running about as a Duke and trying
☕️Kimberly
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Date:  Lady Henrietta Sedley declares her twenty-ninth year the “Year of Hattie,” and she has plans! But first, to get rid of her V-card. She has the night booked at a discreet club exclusively for women but things get complicated when she finds a man tied up in her carriage. A very handsome man. Fearing her brother may have a hand in it, she heads towards her destination. When the man in question awakens. He believes the young woman to be in on the attack but before he can gather his ...more
Somia
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main characters - Whit ('Beast') who comes from the darkness of Covent Garden and Hattie, the daughter of a Earl, had me engaged and entertained. At the onset some of the dialogue felt rather contemporary and the book doesn't have a potent historical framework, and honestly I finished this book not giving a damn. The main characters had me smiling and escaping reality artfully.

Whit is swoon worthy and the chemistry between him and Hattie clear.

I do wish Hattie's brother (view spoiler)
Kim
One of the worst Sarah Maclean novels I’ve read. She’s getting pretty lazy with her plots and her prose. I think the sentence, “she cut him a look” appears no fewer than 100 times. Every once in awhile she dresses it up, like: “She cut him an irritated look.”

Her sentences are predictably formulaic: “[He/she] [verb phrase], [adjective] and [adjective] and [adjective].” For example, “He let out a sigh, long and low and lush.” Maclean is also prone to abstract descriptors like, “It felt like sin.”
Lily Herman
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HI. HELLO. SOS. I'VE BEEN TOTALLY STEAMROLLED BY THIS BOOK. SOMEBODY. HELP. ME.

It's telling that I just finished the first book in Sarah MacLean's Bareknuckle Bastards series less than 24 hours ago and immediately picked up this one because I so badly wanted Beast to find love. (Give! Him! Happiness!) And while it took me a little bit to really fall in love with Felicity as a protagonist in Wicked and the Wallflower, I had no trouble connecting with Hattie in this novel. What a fun, clever, and
G.
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If Wicked and the Wallflower was silly and yet enjoyable, then Brazen and the Beast was mostly silly and that's it. I had hopes... Alas.

I really like MacLean. I think she must be a riot to hang out with, judging from the Fated Mates podcast. It's just that her historicals have been mostly a miss for me lately. Considering she's going to try and pull a The Day of the Duchess 2.0 with her next book, I don't even know what to think. I didn't care for the cheater hero of that one, so I'm not partic
Em Wittmann
I gave Brazen and the Beast a B at All About Romance.

Brazen and the Beast is vintage Sarah MacLean. Which is, for me, a good thing. I was completely absorbed in the romance, which is perfectly paced and gets off to a good start, but unfortunately, not everything else is as good and the villains (except one, who features in the next book) are underdeveloped, underutilized, and not very villainous. These factors detract from this entertaining and romantic story featuring a non-traditional heroine
Lover of Romance
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png
Caroline
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually love Sarah Maclean. I have read every single book she ever wrote. I can't finish this one. It's awful. It's crushed under the weight of the overused tropes and menagerie of unicorns.

Having a forward thinking heroine is okay. Having her be fat and ugly but somehow attract a gorgeous hero is ridiculous. If she's plump, but still somewhat pretty, that's one thing, but apparently she's plain and fat. It's not sexy, no matter how I try to Beauty and the Beast it up, with her as the beast. P

• The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • The Virgin and the Rogue (The Rogue Files, #6)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • The Devil of Downtown (Uptown Girls, #3)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Earl Takes a Fancy (Sins for All Seasons, #5)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Devil's Daughter (The Ravenels, #5)
  • The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke, #2)
  • How the Dukes Stole Christmas
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
New York Times, Washington Post & USA Today bestseller Sarah MacLean is the author of historical romance novels that have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Sarah is a leading advocate for the romance genre, speaking widely on its place at the nexus of gender and cultural studies. A romance columnist and co-host of the weekly romance novel podcast, Fated Mates, her work in support of

The Bareknuckle Bastards (3 books)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Daring and the Duke (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Fans of Sarah MacLean know her as a writer of historical romances, a passionate defender of the romance genre, and a creator of some truly...
“There is nothing fearless about me. I am scared every day. I fear the wide world and the way it stares at me and sneers at me and whispers about me when it thinks I cannot hear. I fear a life of half measures, full of shadows of emotions and hints of possibilities and a thousand things I might have had if only I’d reached a bit farther.” 5 likes
“A woman in charge of her own conveyance was a woman in charge of her own destiny” 3 likes