Start by marking “The Empathy Effect” as Want to Read:
The Empathy Effect

The Empathy Effect

Seven Neuroscience-Based Keys for Transforming the Way We Live, Love, Work, and Connect Across Differences
ebook
Published by Sounds True Publishing (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Empathy Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Empathy Effect

Start your review of The Empathy Effect
Jenn "JR"
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough and enjoyable read that thoroughly covers many aspects of empathy, though the writing can be a bit rambling and overly conversational, which had merits – I stopped more frequently to digest the material than I would with a more structured writing style (and it took me much longer to read this book as a result).

The book begins with an overview of empathy as a term and dives deep into the neuroscience behind this hard-wired human trait. Empathy allows us to not just acknowledge/val
Ell
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Five stars! What more can I say? This book is informational, educational, rooted in scientific research and sorely needed! In a perfect world, health care professionals and educators would read this book and pass the knowledge on to their colleagues and students. As someone who has suffered empathy-burnout in the past and as a natural born advocate, I benefited greatly by reading this book. It was interesting, engaging and empowering.
Literary Redhead
The author, an associate clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, shares the seven keys of her globally-renown neuroscience-based program for strengthening empathy. An important work in a world where our differences, rather than our human connectedness, are often emphasized to grave detriment. Highly recommended.

Pub Date 27 Nov 2018

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine. #TheEmpathyEffect #NetGalley
Sagnik Reads Roy
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
In The Empathy Effect: 7 Neuroscience-Based Keys for Transforming the Way We Live, Love, Work, and Connect Across Differences, Harvard Medical School psychiatrist Dr. Helen Riess shares 7 simple tips to improve your empathy and reap the rewards of the empathy effect.Empathy improves our ability to perceive, understand, ‘diagnose’ and ‘prescribe’ help to people.

"All people are a part of the fabric of humanity"
Helen Riess.

If you have read and liked the book
'Empathy: Why It Matters, and How to Get
D.B. Moone
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to D.B. by: I received this book from Sounds True Publishing via NetGalley to read and write an honest review.
Authors: Helen Rises, MD and, Liz Neporent

Foreword by Alan Alda

Publisher: Sounds True Publishing

Genres: Self-Help: Emotions & Interpersonal Relations, Mental Health: Emotions

Page Count: 240 pages (Available in Hardback and Kindle)

ISBN-10: 1683640284

ISBN-13: 978-1683640288

Publication Date: November 27, 2018

Pre-order Now From Amazon, Sounds True, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, IndieBound, or your favorite bookstore.

My Rating: 5 Stars

About the Authors: (From Publishers Page)

HELEN RIESS, MD, is t
Ann T
Feb 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Thank you Sounds True Publishing and Netgalley for this ARC in return for my honest review.

This was an easy to read, highly engaging book on a fascinating subject. I was really interested to learn more about empathy, particularly the different ways empathy can present and then differentiations between these.

If you are looking for an easy to understand, informative book without the dryness often found in books on similar subjectsm this is your book.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and revie
Audrey  Adamson Stars in Her Eye
I really enjoyed The Empathy Effect. As someone with chronic illness, I see a lot of doctors. To know that someone is out there helping doctors empathizer with their patients, it lifts my heart and gives me hope that we will received betters care.
Helen Riess tells you how she does this with her E.M.P.A.T.H.Y. project. To understand her method, you have to understand empathy on a physiological. and psychological level. The book lays these out in a very easy to understand way. I didn't feel like I
Priya
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I mainly read this book because I have been hearing about empathy for ages and I wanted to learn more about it.

As the title promises, the author shares research backed and business proven empathy code. The seven ways to become a more empathetic person are all simple techniques that make total sense and are worth learning about. The handy acronym EMPATHY makes it easy to remember and therefore apply.

The thing that stood out for me (and probably the most important lesson I will take out of this bo
Lucia Gannon
A little too repetitive for me. Perhaps because it is one of many books I have read on empathy. would recommend it for a beginner who wanted to explore this subject.
Lorena
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I have a better understanding of empathy, or what the author prefers to call our empathic capacity. I appreciated learning about the different components of empathy and what factors affect how our empathic capacity fluctuates over time. There was a lot of interesting information for those wanting to understand different aspects of empathy. However, I wish there had been a chapter or appendix specifically devoted to what I need to do to improve my empathy, or perhaps a se ...more
Jess Macallan
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book explores the various types of empathy, how we employ it in everyday life, and the obstacles we might face when showing our compassion to and for others. The author also highlights "empathy imposters" which are ways in which we think we're helping but we're actually causing harm, such as enablers and helicopter parents. I appreciated the evidence-based recommendations, and the call to expand our empathy beyond the people we relate most to.

Readers will learn about the author's E.M.P.A.T.
Kate
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I went to college initially planning to double major in neuroscience and psychology, so this book is right up my alley as it pulls from both fields. I thought the book was fascinating and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

I'm a momma to 4 young kids and it can be easy to forget the struggles they go through and call them silly, but this book helped remind me that they are not and are important to them. It is important we try to relate to and understand others rather than judging them and I
NEON8L
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good review for empathy 101. The book could have benefited from a little more neuroscientific evidence (but there are plenty of references in the back). It should also have given some insight into how this framework of E.M.P.A.T.H.Y. has led to transformation in healthcare systems. A must read for most people, as the book shows how one can learn to practice empathy by a simple tool called E.M.P.A.T.H.Y. However, if you are well-read in the field, this book is not for you. (there i ...more
Elaine Moore
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone can improve on their sense of empathy, and Helen Riess, MD, teaches seminars to physicians and other health professionals on how to accomplish this. In her book, she teaches the reader the importance of empathy, especially in today's society where lashing out on social media has become routine. Highly recommended. ...more
Nathan
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe good a long time ago, now just covered lots of things many people are familiar with like difference between sympathy and empathy. Too general for me and not specific enough for a neuroscientist.
Ruksana
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More and more data is showing that just as IQ is important so to is emotional intelligence. Leaders can not be true leaders if they do not possess empathy. This book through its stories shows how impactful empathy is and how it shouldn't be seen as a weak skill but a powerful one. ...more
Claire Coupland
May 24, 2020 rated it liked it
An in-depth look at empathy, rooted in scientific research. A fascinating subject and a well written easy to read book. It offers techniques to becoming more empathetic and helps to differentiate between sympathy and empathy. If you want to know more about empathy, this is a great place to start.
Rich Izzo
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-books
Probably the most important book I've read in my life. ...more
J. Jones
Good nonfiction book on the role of empathy, especially among health care providers. Well researched.
Nita Fad
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All about empathy. Basically gives us informations how to live better life.
Sarah Why
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Half-way through the book looked the author up. I laughed when I learned she was blonde. The whole book sounds like a blonde joke.
Diane
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who works with people, especially teachers, should read this book.
Lea
Dec 11, 2019 added it
great book! met the author, too!
Susan
Just couldn't do it. Maybe I'll try again some other time. Seems like it should be good. ...more
Julie Mansfield
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Important to read for people in all walks of life and occupations. Well done.
Lara
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating study of how to develop empathy and its far-reaching benefits. Especially good for people in medical field.
Sohail
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely empathetic

This is ultimate guide to human behaviour in various situations.
Health care providers should self care before taking up their actual duties
Welby Cox
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book and the information is quite accessible to all. Dr. Riess teaches us what should be intuitive, but too often is hidden from us under layers of toxic emotions and toxic examples from our "leaders", co-workers, and bosses. We are living in a time of instant communication and violence sells. Civility must prevail if we are to stop our downward spiral into the abyss of banal barbarity and reach out and touch people. ...more
Ann Louise Tisdale-Ramos
I had such great hopes. And while the first few chapters are good there are concepts to which I wish she would go deeper. The remaining chapters seemed like she was trying to be all things to all groups and just wasn’t as insightful as I had hoped. It’s definitely a must read for empathy and empathic responses just not the primer I thought it would be.
Elena
Apr 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Lazy Genius Way: Embrace What Matters, Ditch What Doesn't, and Get Stuff Done
  • Serpent Cursed (Lost Souls #2)
  • Shadow Fall (Shadow Fall, #1)
  • Fae's Defiance (Queens of the Fae Book 2)
  • Raven Born (Lost Souls #1)
  • Fae's Deception (Queens of the Fae Book 1)
  • Rival: Rise Book 3
  • The Carrier (The Pairings, #2)
  • Fae's Destruction (Queens of the Fae Book 3)
  • The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)
  • King Maker (Kingdom of Runes, #3)
  • Kingdom of Spirits (Bleeding Realms: Dragon Blessed #2)
  • How You Say It: Why You Talk the Way You Do—and What It Says About You
  • The Unpaired (The Pairings, #3)
  • Curse of Blood and Shadow: Allied Kingdoms Academy (1)
  • Crochet: Over 130 Techniques and Stitches
  • Relaxed Homeschooling: How to Unlock the Secrets in Books and Life's Hidden Curriculum
  • Ignore It!: How Selectively Looking the Other Way Can Decrease Behavioral Problems and Increase Parenting Satisfaction