Start by marking “The Hawks” as Want to Read:
The Hawks

The Hawks

"A sultry summer of suspense that leads to the fall of a power family."
He warned me. Said hawks were dangerous birds. Their majestic beauty could blind your eyes as they picked the flesh from your bones. But even hawks have enemies. And they eventually came for the Hawthorn family. Held us hostage. Demanded retribution.

But I wasn’t a Hawthorn. No, I was just the help.
Published July 26th 2018 by SD Hendrickson

To ask other readers questions about The Hawks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hawks

Start your review of The Hawks
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
The Hawks Teaser 1

ARC BOOK REVIEW
release Date-26/7/18

The Hawks was my first experience with this particular author and it was a mostly positive endeavour for me.
This was a well thought out intriguing read packed with suspensful romance and thrilling action.
It had a fantastic twist that I never saw on the horizon and though I did have some slight issues here this for me was still extremely enjoyable and I would certainly recommend this if you're looking for something to get your blood pumping.
So as I said swings a
Robyn
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarina Atwood has goals and ambition. Living in her grandparents home with her mother and younger brother does not work in the life plans she has set for herself. She has big dreams, but the longer she stays with her grandparents every day feels like she is dying inside even more. Her grandparents are hard working people, but there is never enough of money to go around. Plus, Sarina’s mother has emotional issues which take a huge toll on the family. Sarina finally gets the opportunity to be free ...more
1-Click Addict Support Group
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Complicated and layered…

More than a romance, this story layered family, hope and love into a complicated yet simple quest for more out of life.

Sarina was a driven character, wanting an elusive fairy tale she felt was out of her reach, even as she did everything she could to achieve it. Cole was a man of her past and she wanted him to stay there, as she moved on in pursuit of her dream. Javier was her present and, if miracles did happen, would be part of her future. Sarina’s life was playing out
Shabby  -BookBistroBlog
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The books is set in the lofty Hawk Mansion, a sinister entity whose walls hold many secrets and stories of injustices. It's chambers & tunnels haunted with past mistakes and cruel punishments. The company is tainted with corrupt moralities, so much so that their own heirs have been ostracized and discarded like soiled clothes.
"my father wants me to leave this place. Leave Hawk’s Landing. He says they’re dangerous birds. Their majestic beauty blinds your eyes as they pick the flesh from your b
Laura Lee
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hawks: A Novel
By S.D. Hendrickson
5 Stars

I finally got to do it!!! I popped my S.D. Hendrickson cherry with The Hawks. What a wonderful story that kept me engrossed from the first page until the last. Written so beautifully, this story of a woman who had dreams. Wanted to be better than what her mother had, her grandparents had…

I had better things planned for my life than ending up in some house on wheels.

Following Sarina Atwood on her path to becoming someone…bigger and better than anyon
Kate
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars. I feel like SD Hendrickson is a bit of a hidden gem in the world of NA/romance. Her books are well written and have always been page turners for me. The Hawks is no different but I felt like the romance took a back seat to everything else going on in this book and I never fully could get on board with Sarina and Javier.
Karen Mc
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Holy WOW! What a rush! What a read! I’m still reeling from the aftermath of a spellbinding and scintillating story that was a complete BUZZ! The Hawks hooked its claws in me from the very first page, so COMMANDING and CONSUMING, as it UNEQUIVOCALLY OWNED ME! This tale was the predator and I was the prey. Potent. Pulsating. Powerful. I couldn’t put this achingly-addicting, adrenaline-filled read down!

Money couldn’t stop death. We all screamed the same. We all bled the same in the end.
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book... I just couldn’t stop reading.

Sarina has always wanted a better life for herself and her family, applying for a job as an assistant to Delsey Hawthorn aka Queen Bitch Extraordinaire. Little does she know that money doesn’t necessarily buy happiness or that the grass is always greener on the other side.

Working for Delsey is tough but thankfully her thoughts are occupied by the grandson Javier. Javier is charming and easy going with a ready smile and has a calming effect on
Karen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book sure was entertaining. I thought the POV was done well as a gal raised by decent grandparents who lived along side the city dump. There were times you pictutured her using red paint on the soles of her pumps and knowing enough to use public library computers for free access to the internet. You get why she wants the job at The Hawks. I didn't understand why the author used Columbia but if we know our country's media it would be almost far enough to leave a mess behind you but seriously, ...more
Bookish Affair
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3.7 Star's ...more
HMS
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not sure how I feel about this one. I loved that it was completely different from the usual stuff out there, the story line I mean, and Delsey Hawthorne is one crazy mean boss lady! I would have quit a couple of times. What I didn't really get is a connection between our heroine, Sarina and the hero, Javier. I guess it is because of Sarina, she is cold almost frigid and even though there is mention of how much Javier admires her integrity and tenacity, I did not feel the LOOOORRRRVE or an i ...more
Anne OK
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
S. D. Hendrickson’s latest release is a sizzling summer read filled with plenty of twists and surprises along the way, including a shocking reveal near the end. I loved every word!

FULL REVIEW TO FOLLOW SOON.
Brianna
AHHH! I'm now convinced that anything she writes will be amazing... I mean, seriously. From the very beginning I was hooked. That goes for all her previous work as well. There's just something about her storytelling that just sucks me in. I'm completely immersed in the storyline and everything that is unfolding.
This book was such a roller coaster. I tried to figure out who it was. I had my suspicions, and maybe in the back of my mind I knew who it was, but never really "voiced" that opinion. Bu
Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews)
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-read
4 stars!! This was such a good story. So many outstanding characters that I just wanted to know more about!

This book is about one rich as hell family and one tragedy stricken not rich family. And one girl who just wants to make something better for herself.

Ok let’s start with these characters. First off, Javier (the main male character), I think he is beautiful and charming and perfect. Problem is I don’t think perfect does it for me. I want bad and so not right for me. That leads us to Cole. O
Barbara
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying The Hawks is a very well written book with a storyline that captured me from the start. I loved the characters, even the secondary ones, as they all came together to make this a very pleasant read. We have quite the mixture of people, the haughty matriarch of the family, her heirs and her staff. All playing significant roles I came to appreciate, even if I did want to smack a few of them in the head on various occasions.

The Hawthorn’s are what I would call Old Money with D
Kim Markett
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read everything SD Hendrickson has written! Her words can reach me and allow me to be absorbed into her characters and their stories. Each one of her stories has made me cry at some point they are absolutely beautiful and continually memorable.

Sarina found a job she loved doing that could help put her family in a comfortable financial position but her old rich brutally honest witch of a boss made it hard for her to want to stay working for her.
Then she meets Javier and he makes enduring
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
S.D. Hendrickson became one of my favorite authors when I read "The Mason List," she blew me away with the range of emotions that I went through reading that book.

With The Hawks you will definitely go through emotions that cut deep with the struggles of Sarina. This book is full of suspense, romance, and heartache. You will not know how to feel towards the end, I am still processing everything that occurred throughout this story.
Sarina is a woman who wants more in life, she thinks that by work
Reading with 2 book lovers
This was a first read for me by this author and a well written story
i fall in love book blog
5 Stars

This was such a good read for me. I didn't want to put it down, so I didn't.  It's been awhile since I've seen a book from SD Hendrickson and it was a pleasure to lose myself in it.

The Hawks goes back and forth between two timelines. One that is progressing over weeks/months and another that is over mere hours. One timeline holds the mystery, the other holds the romance, when the two converge it makes it nearly impossible to put down. I will admit, there were parts of the story that left
buzy_reading
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime

Wanting a better life for her family, Sarina leaves her family behind while she works for the Hawthorns. Even though, no amount of money can take the place of spending time with your family.

Only one element comes to mind while reading this story and it’s the word hate. Hate was referenced several times towards characters. For some reason this bothered me every time I read Sarina say she hated Cole.

There were a variety of themes taking place in this story: the extravagant lifestyle of the Hawth
Bia
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-provided
**** 4 STARS ****

This is an author who has won a captive place in my heart at first. I've read The Mason List a couple years ago and I was delighted with the sensitivity that she has. So, after that, every book she launches ends up being one I need to read. The Hawks has just been released and I can say that my passion for her books haven't changed. But lets get into business and talk more about this one.

First, imagine the scenery: small town, the kind everyone knows each other. A traditional (o
Kathy Rouchelle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!! What a story line. This one will grab your attention right of the bat, then it will ensnare you with it's family ties, mystery, intrigue, excitement, lust, love and family banter. But it is the mystery and intrigue that will definitely capture your attention as the intruders hold everyone captive. My only problem at the beginning was once this part of the story unfolded, the next chapter jumped back in time, which kinda angered me a bit because, come on...there's excitement going on ...more
Nadine
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am going to save you time and tell you right now straight that this is a book that you need to have read like yesterday!

No ifs, no buts…

There is no point arguing with me on what I said.

I thought the story as a whole was truly fantastic, a true original and I cannot remember having read anything close to Hawks in recent history.

To give you more details, here instead of having a split PoV, you have a split timeline. Something happens at the beginning of the book, I will refer to it as “the event
Dani Winland
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: suspense lovers who want a little romance
Recommended to Dani by: Give Me Books Promotions
Thank you to GiveMeBooks and author SD Hendrickson for giving me a copy of THE HAWKS in exchange for my honest opinion.
This review was originally posted on my blog: www.danithebookaholic.com

~~~

I really enjoyed the characters in The Hawks. Delsey Hawthorn is exactly what you would picture a rich, old biddy to be. She pretentious, rude, and holier than thou. SD Hendrickson's description of her is spot on! And I loved Javier Hawthorn! (But I am a little biased when it comes to a Spanish hottie bei
Lisa Marie Barrera
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh! My! I'm Speechless AND Upside-down that I didn’t know what was coming next!! S.D. Hendrickson is a First time AUTHOR for me and She Had Me at the Very Beginning of reading The Hawks!! I didn't know what to expect from going back and forth to the Present to the Earlier of Sarina Atwood's starting career working for the Famous Hawkthorn family!
Ms. Atwood has dreams of bettering herself to support her family and not be a simple woman to settle for less. The Storyline will Suck you into this Em
Ashley Jasper
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Holy crap! SD Hendrickson sucked me into The Hawks on the first page. Talk about a whirlwind. Sassy, emotional, dangerous, intense and a few other things too.

Set in a plush mansion, surrounded by opulence, where every small detail- down to the kind of polish used on the wood matters- Sarina is way out of her element. But her new job is just the first win. It's the stepping stone towards a better future for her and her family. A family she felt guilty over leaving to try and provide for. Talk abo
Diane Plourde TDC Book Reviews

OMG!!!! This is one of the best stories I’ve read this year. An highly addicting story that sucked me in so deep that I had a difficult crawling out. An amazing 10 star story that left me speechless.

This is the kind of review that needs to stay spoiler free. All I’ll say is that there were 2 stories happening. A love story that was happening a few months past and an horrific series of events happening in the present. It was centred around 2 families.

This story was created from an imagination
Caroline F
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only other book of this author’s that I’ve read was her debut, which I loved. It seems to me that her books are very much about human nature and relationships. Human nature in all its strength and frailty.

"We're already doing this. I've wanted to kiss you since that first day."

Sarina Atwood is desperate to rise above her circumstances. She's ambitious, resourceful and smart, and determined to get the job with the formidable Desley Hawthorn - stern matriarch of the Hawthorn family. However, s
Glorimar Irizarry
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
advance copy given for review.

Sarina is a woman who wants more i
She's a Lip Biter
Multiple Reviews Below

5Stars
Wow, what a dramatic start, it sure does get the reader’s attention! SD Hendrickson is a new author to me and she certainly knows how to spin a tale. This story is broken into two-time segments, the present and the summer, where things are explained in a parallel fashion.

Sarina Atwood applies for the position of assistant to a wealthy aged matriarch, Delsey Hawthorn, and is successful. Being a live-in position is a dream come true for this blue-collar worker however h
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dane's Storm
  • Someone Else's Ocean
  • Jersey Six
  • Arrange Me (The Arranged Duo, #1)
  • Sundays are for Hangovers
  • Gypsy King (Tin Gypsy, #1)
  • The Way We Burn
  • Bloodstained Beauty
  • Church (Church, #1)
  • Tennessee Truths
  • Method
  • The Truth About Lies (The Truth Duet, #1)
  • Love at First Fight
  • The Wrong Game
  • All My Life
  • The Girl in the Love Song (Lost Boys, #1)
  • Where the Truth Lives (Where, #2)
  • Double Down (All In Duet, #2)
SD Hendrickson received a Bachelor's of Science in Journalism from Oklahoma State University.T he Mason List was her first novel and it was a 2015 Goodreads Choice Award Semi-Finalist for Best Debut Author.

S.D. Hendrickson lives in Tulsa with her husband and their two schnauzers. She loves chocolate, romance books, Oklahoma State Cowboys, music, Lost, chocolate, beaches, coffee, cooking, beautiful