Start by marking “Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)

Changeling

(Sorcery and Society #1)

Magic and Manners Book 1

If 14-year-old Cassandra Reed makes it through her first day at Miss Castwell’s Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladies without anyone discovering her secret, maybe, just maybe, she’ll let herself believe that she really does belong at Miss Castwell’s.

Except Cassandra Reed’s real name is Sarah Smith and up until now, she
Published August 22nd 2018 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.
Kate Atonic In retrospect, I am more annoyed that I can’t edit my typo. Ellipses!!

Start your review of Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)
Ian
Calling a spade a spade...

Pygmalion meets Harry Potter meets Charmed.

It's not all that original. I picked the villain very early in the book. But it's testament to Molly Harper as a writer that I don't really care. Changeling was a hoot and I loved it despite the fact that it's derivative.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I’m rounding up as I will read book two.
It's a commonly said these days that there are no original ideas left to write about. While this may be true to a certain extent there is usually a new way to spin a similar story or make it your own. Molly Harper has 'borrowed' from so many of the most popular YA/Teen fantasy story lines that it's almost funny. Yet, the way she puts these ideas together, and her compulsive writing style, had me flipping pages quickly and deciding that I was ok
☕️Kimberly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2018
Imagine mixing a potion of all of your favorite stories. Let’s start with Charmed and the power of three, then add in Harry Potter with schools for the magically gifted, familiars and loads of secrets. Let us not forget the non-magical folks known as Snipes (Guttersnipes), and the Ministry of Magic known as the Guardian of Law. Add a pinch of the Moorchild with changelings. Next,  stir in a Victorian setting with a smidge of steampunk and vivid characters who breathe life into the tale. Stir cou ...more
Emma
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming historical fantasy for YA.
Diana
Oct 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I wanted to like it, I really did. A Victorian Steampunk society with magic to boot! But even though the main character's story seems interesting (being always kind of sick and suddenly learning she isn't and that she controls magic!) I just couldn't seem to relate to the characters or the story per se...
Also, I was a bit lost on the world the author creates, personally I would have benefited of being more grounded in it before the story began picking up when Sarah discovers she can do magic on
Jacob Proffitt
I love that Molly Harper takes these wild jags into genres she's never done before. That probably makes me some kind of super-fan, but I have yet to be disappointed in following her into a new space. That holds in this story, as well. This is a YA historical fantasy with magic and an added mix of boarding school and it was a great deal of fun.

I'm not sure the era of this as the historical timeline diverged heavily in the early nineteenth century (after steam trains, but before the in
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

I am an unabashed Molly Harper fangirl, and I love young adult books set in a historical fantasy setting similar to Regency/Victorian England (I once made a website about them). In other words, I am the perfect audience for CHANGELING, the first in Harper's new YA series, Sorcery and Society.

CHANGELING is a delight. While it didn't have the laugh-out-loud humor I've come to associate with Harper's adult paranormal romances, I enjoyed the s
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Alright so this is a really fun light fantasy that pulls a lot of really commonly used and enjoyable tropes like the unknown chosen one with immense power, school for the magic and naturally a Victorian-ish setting and time.

So I read this via audiobook and I have to absolutely recommend this format. The narrators are fantastic and the comedic lines are delivered perfectly!

I am always a sucker for a girl finding the Draco of the school and then deciding to hang with her Ro
Blodeuedd Finland
My Thoughts:
This was a rather delightful book. Sara was so sassy, had humour and at the same time she was vulnerable.

Magicians rose up all over the world and took over. Now "normal" people work as servants for the high and might who rule the world.

Then there is Sara, who suddenly has magical powers. Her employers are scared that the higher ups will blame them and she is embraced into the family as one of them. In comes Cassandra Reed, who is sent to school to learn magic, and
✨Susan✨
I thoroughly enjoyed this fun, Harry Potterish romp through a world where those that have magic are superior. Great, original characters that I liked right from the beginning. Fast paced and Amanda Ronconi is, as always, spot on with her fantastic narration.
CatBookMom
9/4/18 - REALLY bad editing; at least 3 places by 25% in, which have the same sentence repeated within the same page.
9/15/18 - accumulated 24 total 'edits', including some additional duplicated sentences; wrong words, words left out, yada.

I nearly gave up on this book a couple of times, but it was still interesting, so I kept picking it up and going on. A 2.5 star rating, rounded to 3.
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
An eye-rollingly unoriginal story. Every YA cliche seems to be present here. A girl from a servant family of magic-less Muggles Snipes discovers that she's actually astonishingly magical, and gets swept away to attend Hogwarts Miss Castwell's boarding school for young witches. She also finds out that she's the "chosen one" (who's the youngest person ever chosen, of course). There's even mean snobby classmate who is, of course, blonde and rich. Heck, even the school's librarian is a cliche with her frizzled gra ...more
Beth
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo
Very nice. Hopefully a sequel will soon be on it's way.
Eileen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars. I was pretty surprised how much I liked this one. It's sort of like a cross between Harry Potter and My Fair Lady, lol. And having read the Gallagher Girls recently, there's a little bit of that atmosphere as well. The main character and what become her two best friends are really funny with their snark/sarcasm and wit. I wasn't so sure if I would like Mrs. Winter, but she really did grow on me over the course of the book. There were some minor editing problems, but I was able to ov ...more
Strega
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
THIS BOOK IS IN SERIOUS NEED OF AN EDITOR, ESPECIALLY FOR CONTINUITY!!

It was really distracting reading "he she," or a six sentence paragraph that is really only three sentences duplicated, or carrying something into a room then 2 pages later opening the cabinet and OH MI GAWD IT'S GONE!!! And these were just a few of the errors, which kept reading pleasure to a bare minimum.

It's a semi-cute story about a poor girl with no magic who actually has magic (gasp!) so has to fit into soci
Thomas
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I’ll call this more like three-and-a-half stars. It’s a fun story where the stakes are higher that the feel would suggest.

This one is a bit of a departure for Molly Harper, a YA novel set in an alternate universe where magic is real. There’s some interesting world building going on here. It’s seems to be a world where, a century before, the good wizards failed to stop the bad wizards’ evil plan to enslave all the muggles (snipes).

So a humble snipe girl finds out that, as
Melissa Bennett
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would like this book but didn't think I would like it as much as I did. It had all the good parts to it... a great story line, wonderful characters and a real page turner!
Sarah has lived most of her childhood as a Snipe... a non-magical person. Snipes serve those with magic. When Sarah finds out she really does have magic, she is swept up into a world filled with secrets, lies and dreams. Can she keep this up or will others find out what she is hiding?
Definitely looking forwar
Karissa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in the Sorcery and Society series. Harper is writing this series for her daughter. I have read many of Harper’s previous adult series and always enjoy her humor. This was an incredibly fun and cute book. I loved the world, the characters, and the magic. I also really enjoyed the relationship our heroine developed with her fellow classmates.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was very well done. I would definitely recommend listening to on audiobook if you en
Kayleigh Brindley
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis and so, when the ARC came through via NetGalley I jumped straight in. This is my first book by Molly Harper, so I wasn't sure what to expect but I immediately fell in love with her writing style and was hooked straight away.

This book gave me such strong Charmed vibes!! The only way I can describe this book is sort of Charmed meets The Worst Witch, Harry Potter and Mean Girls! I love the mixture of themes and subplots th
Victoria
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

I'm a huge fan of Molly Harper's Nice Girls series, but I was cautious about following her into YA. It turns out that my worry was for nothing, as I think this is now my favorite book of hers. As in: Stay Up Way Too Late Because I Can't Stop Reading, Sad That I Finished good.

Recommended for fans of: Gail Carriger's Etiquette and Espionage series, Sorcery and Celia, & misfit snarky, spunky, heroines.
Belles
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A thoroughly delightful YA book about a girl learning magic at school while navigating the trappings and pitfalls of upper society.
Andrea
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 2018, netgalley
Thank you to INscribe Digital and Netgalley for providing me an e-book copy from this book in exchange of an honest review.

There are magical and non-magical people, but many years ago there was a Guardian's Restoration, in which the people with magic were going to govern and those who did not have, the "Snipes" had to be their servants and they were inherited from generation to generation to their assigned family.

Sarah is a Snipe girl who seems to be sick because her pare
Zel Polev
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Wing Kee
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
A charming albeit clichéd story.

World: The world building is very solid, it's a familiar time and setting for a lot of the magical historical books like "Glass Magician", Gail Carriger and any number of boos in the genre. It's well written and presented and thought out. As I said, it's not entirely original but the charm that Harper injects into the world goes a long way to making it a fun and interesting one. I also liked that she doesn't info dump lore and history on readers and pr
David
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls with witty daggers, snarky boys, little birds
There isn't much original here. But I still liked it.

Changeling is set in an alternate universe in which magic is real, and at some point in the past, sorcerers all seized power worldwide, dissolved all the existing governments, and created a global government called the Coven Society. Despite this rather remarkable deviation from our history, Changeling is basically a pre-Industrial English costume drama: the seat of this new worldwide government is in England, which is kinda Austen/Dickens/Edwardian exc/>
S.J. Higbee
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed Cassandra/Sarah’s journey. She is a gutsy, cheerful character with lots of can-do energy – this story lacks the darkness of the Harry Potter series as Sarah has loving parents. While she initially finds it difficult to come to terms with ignoring her family and fitting into the world of the Guardians, she nonetheless accepts the situation and works hard alongside Mrs Winter to behave as her long-lost niece. The way their relationship gradually grows from a fear-based, resentf ...more
Nichole
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cassandra Reed is getting ready to start school at Miss Castwell's Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladies. As you can tell by the name, it's a school for girls with magical abilities. The thing is, Cassandra shouldn't have magical abilities. She's actually Sarah Smith, and she's a snipe. Snipes are non-magical people that serve the Guardian families that do have magic.
Sarah didn't know she had magic until she was under stress, and she used magic in front of her employer Mrs Winte
Debbie Gascoyne
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was thoroughly delightful. Okay, yes - people are bound to draw comparisons with Harry Potter, but JK Rowling herself was not the first to write about a school for wizards. I enjoyed the dry, witty voice of the narrator and all the political/social machinations and drawing-room comedy. I'll definitely look forward to the next in the series.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher and NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Dawna
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Imagine that Harry Potter was a muggle. And a girl. And that Hogwarts was a little more like a finishing school for the daughters of society’s most elite families. Now imagine that a muggle born child having magical powers was enough to collapse the whole magical world, so a secret plot to hide Harry’s true identity has to be invented. But don’t worry: Harry still has a magical animal companion. And two best friends. They still end up being the chosen one. And they still save the world. (I am no ...more

• The Mystwick School of Musicraft
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Second Hand Curses
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • The Mystery of Alice
  • Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
  • Lucky Suit (Sexy Suits, #1)
  • Minimum Wage Magic (DFZ #1)
  • Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • A Mind of Her Own
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • The Trouble With Witches (Shadowvale, #1)
  • Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark
  • Sovereign
  • Dark Arts and a Daiquiri (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #2)
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
My mother remembers an 8-year-old me setting up my “writing office” in our living room by putting her old manual typewriter on the couch next to a toy phone. And I (very slowly) pecked out the story of my third-grade class taking a trip around the world and losing a kid in each city.

I had a dark sense of humor, even then.

In high school, when other girls my age were writing

Sorcery and Society (2 books)
  • Fledgling (Sorcery and Society, #2)