Start by marking “Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)

Changeling

(Sorcery and Society #1)

Magic and Manners Book 1

If 14-year-old Cassandra Reed makes it through her first day at Miss Castwell’s Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladies without anyone discovering her secret, maybe, just maybe, she’ll let herself believe that she really does belong at Miss Castwell’s.

Except Cassandra Reed’s real name is Sarah Smith and up until now, she lived her whol
Published August 22nd 2018 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about Changeling, please sign up.
Kate Atonic In retrospect, I am more annoyed that I can’t edit my typo. Ellipses!!

Start your review of Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)
Ian
Calling a spade a spade...

Pygmalion meets Harry Potter meets Charmed.

It's not all that original. I picked the villain very early in the book. But it's testament to Molly Harper as a writer that I don't really care. Changeling was a hoot and I loved it despite the fact that it's derivative.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I’m rounding up as I will read book two.
It's a commonly said these days that there are no original ideas left to write about. While this may be true to a certain extent there is usually a new way to spin a similar story or make it your own. Molly Harper has 'borrowed' from so many of the most popular YA/Teen fantasy story lines that it's almost funny. Yet, the way she puts these ideas together, and her compulsive writing style, had me flipping pages quickly and deciding that I was ok
☕️Kimberly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine mixing a potion of all of your favorite stories. Let’s start with Charmed and the power of three, then add in Harry Potter with schools for the magically gifted, familiars and loads of secrets. Let us not forget the non-magical folks known as Snipes (Guttersnipes), and the Ministry of Magic known as the Guardian of Law. Add a pinch of the Moorchild with changelings. Next,  stir in a Victorian setting with a smidge of steampunk and vivid characters who breathe life into the tale. Stir cou ...more
Emma
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A charming historical fantasy for YA.
Jacob Proffitt
I love that Molly Harper takes these wild jags into genres she's never done before. That probably makes me some kind of super-fan, but I have yet to be disappointed in following her into a new space. That holds in this story, as well. This is a YA historical fantasy with magic and an added mix of boarding school and it was a great deal of fun.

I'm not sure the era of this as the historical timeline diverged heavily in the early nineteenth century (after steam trains, but before the industrial rev
Diana
Oct 10, 2018 added it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I wanted to like it, I really did. A Victorian Steampunk society with magic to boot! But even though the main character's story seems interesting (being always kind of sick and suddenly learning she isn't and that she controls magic!) I just couldn't seem to relate to the characters or the story per se...
Also, I was a bit lost on the world the author creates, personally I would have benefited of being more grounded in it before the story began picking up when Sarah discovers she can do magic on
Maria
Great expectations, low results.

Despite not assuming this would have any deep plot, it still managed to disappoint in the overall development of the underdog shining in a place she was never meant to be. The whole idea and execution resembled Red Queen in the sense that the main girl was common folk who had barely had any right, but somehow she was born with powers no one expected and has to hide that fact and of course she is not the only one.

It is entertaining and it is refreshing that the rom
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Wealthy 14 year old Cassandra Reed has a secret. That's not her real name. And she's not actually a member of the noble magical class that now rules the world. But as one of the non-magical Snipes who possesses magic, her secret must be kept so that she—and her family—can survive. So she has to blend in with the magical class. And attend school for wealthy magical ladies. She just can't slip up...

Ever read one of those books where you are just certain that you've read it before, but you clearly
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Alright so this is a really fun light fantasy that pulls a lot of really commonly used and enjoyable tropes like the unknown chosen one with immense power, school for the magic and naturally a Victorian-ish setting and time.

So I read this via audiobook and I have to absolutely recommend this format. The narrators are fantastic and the comedic lines are delivered perfectly!

I am always a sucker for a girl finding the Draco of the school and then deciding to hang with her Ron and Hermione instead a
All Things Urban Fantasy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kate
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy.

I am an unabashed Molly Harper fangirl, and I love young adult books set in a historical fantasy setting similar to Regency/Victorian England (I once made a website about them). In other words, I am the perfect audience for CHANGELING, the first in Harper's new YA series, Sorcery and Society.

CHANGELING is a delight. While it didn't have the laugh-out-loud humor I've come to associate with Harper's adult paranormal romances, I enjoyed the sly, sarcastic
Blodeuedd Finland
My Thoughts:
This was a rather delightful book. Sara was so sassy, had humour and at the same time she was vulnerable.

Magicians rose up all over the world and took over. Now "normal" people work as servants for the high and might who rule the world.

Then there is Sara, who suddenly has magical powers. Her employers are scared that the higher ups will blame them and she is embraced into the family as one of them. In comes Cassandra Reed, who is sent to school to learn magic, and manners.

I liked th
✨Susan✨
I thoroughly enjoyed this fun, Harry Potterish romp through a world where those that have magic are superior. Great, original characters that I liked right from the beginning. Fast paced and Amanda Ronconi is, as always, spot on with her fantastic narration.
CatBookMom
9/4/18 - REALLY bad editing; at least 3 places by 25% in, which have the same sentence repeated within the same page.
9/15/18 - accumulated 24 total 'edits', including some additional duplicated sentences; wrong words, words left out, yada.

I nearly gave up on this book a couple of times, but it was still interesting, so I kept picking it up and going on. A 2.5 star rating, rounded to 3.
Jamie Dacyczyn
An eye-rollingly unoriginal story. Every YA cliche seems to be present here. A girl from a servant family of magic-less Muggles Snipes discovers that she's actually astonishingly magical, and gets swept away to attend Hogwarts Miss Castwell's boarding school for young witches. She also finds out that she's the "chosen one" (who's the youngest person ever chosen, of course). There's even mean snobby classmate who is, of course, blonde and rich. Heck, even the school's librarian is a cliche with h ...more
Danyelle
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Great story😁 Not sure at this time if I will read book 2
Beth
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo
Very nice. Hopefully a sequel will soon be on it's way.
Eileen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars. I was pretty surprised how much I liked this one. It's sort of like a cross between Harry Potter and My Fair Lady, lol. And having read the Gallagher Girls recently, there's a little bit of that atmosphere as well. The main character and what become her two best friends are really funny with their snark/sarcasm and wit. I wasn't so sure if I would like Mrs. Winter, but she really did grow on me over the course of the book. There were some minor editing problems, but I was able to ov ...more
Linniegayl
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Young Sarah Smith lives in a world inhabited by Snipes and Guardians. Guardians possess magical powers and control the world. Snipes have no magical powers and must serve the Guardians. Sarah -- a Snipe -- lives with her family in the home of a powerful Guardian family, the Winters, and acts as a housemaid. But everything changes for Sarah when she accidentally levitates a valuable piece of china in front of Mrs. Winters; for some unknown reason, Sarah learns she actually has magical powers, som ...more
Heather
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
If you're looking for a fairly simple fantasy book in the vein of Jane Austin kinda society, this is a good choice. There's a little romance, magic school like Hogwarts, and a decent set of characters. It's a good pleasure reading with some twists, but nothing that takes a lot of brain power to track. I am pretty sure I'll read more as I've missed the society kinda stuff.
Strega
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
THIS BOOK IS IN SERIOUS NEED OF AN EDITOR, ESPECIALLY FOR CONTINUITY!!

It was really distracting reading "he she," or a six sentence paragraph that is really only three sentences duplicated, or carrying something into a room then 2 pages later opening the cabinet and OH MI GAWD IT'S GONE!!! And these were just a few of the errors, which kept reading pleasure to a bare minimum.

It's a semi-cute story about a poor girl with no magic who actually has magic (gasp!) so has to fit into society without
Thomas
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I’ll call this more like three-and-a-half stars. It’s a fun story where the stakes are higher that the feel would suggest.

This one is a bit of a departure for Molly Harper, a YA novel set in an alternate universe where magic is real. There’s some interesting world building going on here. It’s seems to be a world where, a century before, the good wizards failed to stop the bad wizards’ evil plan to enslave all the muggles (snipes).

So a humble snipe girl finds out that, as the saying goes, “You’re
Deanna
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars maybe

I needed a light read, an escape, that didn’t set my teeth on edge. Strangely enough for me, this YA fantasy did the trick. A well-told little story that’s just entertaining enough, low on fluff, with just enough mystery and character concern to keep reading. Listened on audio—the skillful narration added a lot.
Liv
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter, top-tbr
This was such a youthful, sweet, and light-hearted read. 🥰 I needed that during these strange times we’re in.
Melissa Bennett
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would like this book but didn't think I would like it as much as I did. It had all the good parts to it... a great story line, wonderful characters and a real page turner!
Sarah has lived most of her childhood as a Snipe... a non-magical person. Snipes serve those with magic. When Sarah finds out she really does have magic, she is swept up into a world filled with secrets, lies and dreams. Can she keep this up or will others find out what she is hiding?
Definitely looking forward to s
Karissa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book in the Sorcery and Society series. Harper is writing this series for her daughter. I have read many of Harper’s previous adult series and always enjoy her humor. This was an incredibly fun and cute book. I loved the world, the characters, and the magic. I also really enjoyed the relationship our heroine developed with her fellow classmates.

I listened to this on audiobook and the audiobook was very well done. I would definitely recommend listening to on audiobook if you en
Zel Polev
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Kayleigh Brindley
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was immediately intrigued by the synopsis and so, when the ARC came through via NetGalley I jumped straight in. This is my first book by Molly Harper, so I wasn't sure what to expect but I immediately fell in love with her writing style and was hooked straight away.

This book gave me such strong Charmed vibes!! The only way I can describe this book is sort of Charmed meets The Worst Witch, Harry Potter and Mean Girls! I love the mixture of themes and subplots th
Victoria
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

I'm a huge fan of Molly Harper's Nice Girls series, but I was cautious about following her into YA. It turns out that my worry was for nothing, as I think this is now my favorite book of hers. As in: Stay Up Way Too Late Because I Can't Stop Reading, Sad That I Finished good.

Recommended for fans of: Gail Carriger's Etiquette and Espionage series, Sorcery and Celia, & misfit snarky, spunky, heroines.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I greatly enjoyed it, the writing style is superb and the characters convincing. It caught my attention immediately, the main character is charming. Worldbuilding is crafty, and I have a soft spot for school and boarding school types of settings.

I can't rate higher since the pacing kept randomly lagging and losing my interest in parts. Easy writing style but not a quick read for me due to this.

• Once More Upon a Time
  • Second Hand Curses
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • The Mystery of Alice
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection (Andrea Vernon, #1)
  • Minimum Wage Magic (DFZ, #1)
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Agent 355
  • A Murder of Manatees (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #2)
  • Silverswift
My mother remembers an 8-year-old me setting up my “writing office” in our living room by putting her old manual typewriter on the couch next to a toy phone. And I (very slowly) pecked out the story of my third-grade class taking a trip around the world and losing a kid in each city.

I had a dark sense of humor, even then.

In high school, when other girls my age were writing poems about dying unicor

Sorcery and Society (2 books)
  • Fledgling (Sorcery and Society, #2)