Start by marking “The Wicked Ones (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Ones (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #6)

The Wicked Ones

(Ghosts of the Shadow Market #6)

Celine Montclaire goes to the Shadow Market to escape. She would go anywhere in Paris, or the entire world, to escape the suffering she experiences at the hands of her family. She did not expect to meet Valentine Morgenstern there, or to have him promise her freedom and the heart of the man she secretly loves. On one condition, of course. At the Shadow Market, nothing is f

Kindle Edition
Published September 11th 2018 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Ones

Start your review of The Wicked Ones (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #6)
Emma Giordano
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely spectacular. A MUST READ for fans of the Shadowhunter Chronicles. Certain novellas from this series have fallen flat for me, but it’s stories like The Wicked Ones that steal my heart and remind me why these novellas are such a gift to us fans. So nuanced. So valuable. So tragic. I’m entirely enchanted.

CW: child abuse

I adored to opportunity to get to know Celine a.k.a. (view spoiler). Through Yhe Mortal Instrum
~Poppy~
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I sometimes think there is nothing more painful than love denied. To love someone you cannot have, to stand beside your heart’s desire and be unable to take them in your arms. A love that cannot be requited. I can think of nothing more painful than that."

Melanie
“They’d both given a piece of their hearts to a Herondale. And they both loved someone they could not have.”

Oh, boy. So, this story is set in 1989 Paris, where we meet a young girl named Céline and get to see the uprising of Valentine. Céline has constantly run away from her abusive home, and the parents that torture her and call it love. And when she was eight years old, she ran away and felt safe and at home for the very first time – at the Paris Shadow Market. But in this story we see her almos
Carrie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wicked Ones by Cassandra Clare and Robin Wasserman is the sixth novella in the young adult paranormal fantasy Ghosts of the Shadow Market series. This series is another companion set of novellas that are brief glimpses into events set in the Shadowhunter world of the Mortal Instruments series.

This sixth book in the series takes place in 1989 with Celine Montclaire looking to escape and getting an offer from Valentine Morgenstern to join him for his help. Obviously Valentine isn't
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Yikes
Cory Marie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has just become my new favorite Shadowhunter short story. THE FEELS. THE REVELATIONS. 😭😭
sam  {Multi Dreamer}⚔
I'm literally only reading these because I have no other shadowhunter books to read. These novellas are okay so far and this one is the same. We get to know more about the herondale bloodline and if you have already read queen of air and darkness then there's spoilers in that one for this novella.
Beth
I swear anytime the name Will Herondale pops up, my little heart just breaks.

1. I love all the love for Jem, Tessa and Will
2. Damn Herondales!
3. We get to see the start(ish) of Valentine and that was interesting to see how calculated he is
4. Low key felt sorry for Celine and you can see she's the way she is for many many reasons.
5. A Salty Robert was great :) :)

I swear anytime the name Will Herondale pops up, my little heart just breaks.

1. I love all the love for Jem, Tessa and Will
2. Damn Herondales!
5. A Salty Robert was great :) :)

Son of the Dawn - 5 Stars
Through Blood, Through Fire - 5 Stars
N (they/them)
Līga Sproģe
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
F yeah, we will finally have a decent Jace's mom backstory!

Not that I'm desperately trying to remember the facts we already know about that group of friends! I have everything under control! *nervous laughter*
Reem Ghabbany
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story centered around Celine, Jace’s mother, I loved reading about her. Even though she’s a bit crazy lol
Also a big revelation is revealed. One that I did not anticipate!
Joanna (wordsrmyweapon)
I did enjoy this one. It’s really interesting to see how the circle came to be and the mentality of the members, and how things that were just talked about in the moral instruments actually went about
Suzanne
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these novellas. Only have one more to read for the Shadow Market series but I greedily want more. First off, as my GR peeps know, I’m a sucker for any mentioning of Gem and/or Will. This one had Gem playing a small role but was more about Celine (Jace’s mom) and how she fit into the circle and how It came about that Valentine got her Stephen Herondale (Jace’s father). It was nice to finally have the backstory.

My quick and simple overall: quick and amusing like the other novellas.
Emma
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it

In this novella we learn more about Céline’s life. I was never really interested in her story and this novella was no exception. Now we know how Céline and Stephen came to be but I could have done without this bit of information to be honest.
The thing I always like about the novellas of the series is Jem. I love seeing what he's up to. This time he made a very interesting discovery that I did not expect. I read online that this discovery (view spoiler) ...more
Souma BookAddict
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, novella

I found the story in this novella quite interesting. It showed a lot about human nature especially with regards to Celine Montclaire. Getting insight into her life and her feelings was very interesting and heartbreaking.
The Story Girl
2. Cast Long Shadows (takes place in London 1901) ★★★★
3. Every Exquisite Thing (takes place in London 1901) ★★★★
4. Learn about Loss (takes place in Chattanooga, TN 1936) ★★★★
5. A Deeper Love takes place in 1940 with Tessa ★★★★

“She would have rhapsodized about gothic spires spearing the clouds, cobblestone streets shimmering with rain, sunlight dancing on the Seine, and, bien sûr, the infinite varieties of cheese. She would have pointed out that Paris had been home to Baudelaire and Rimbaud, Monet and Gauguin, Descartes and Voltaire, that this was the city that had birthed a new way of speaking, seeing, thinking, being—drawing even the most mundane of mundanes a little closer to the angels.

In every way, Paris was la ville de la lumière. The City of Light. If you ask me, Céline would have said, nothing could be more beautiful than that.”

It's Paris, 1989, and Céline Montclair (age 17), Stephen Herondale (age 22), and Robert Lightwood are on a mission for the Circle/Valentine. He wants the Shadow Market shut down because he doesn't want people mixing with Downworlders, and this is where Celine's path crosses with Jem. She sees that he is in search of a silver necklace with a pendant in the shape of a heron, which he finds at a booth run by a kid. He wanted it in order to track down Jack Crow, to tell him who he really is. (view spoiler)

The greater storyline is Celine's and a choice she has to make in this that will define her character and her future. She has a heart-breaking story with abusive parents, no friends, and no one to love her. But when she made the wrong choice of what to do with her life, it was extremely disappointing and sad. We all know she ends up pregnant with Jace and then murdered. Her story is just heart-breaking from start to finish. But this story was so beautifully written all the same.

“Under the midnight moon, it came alive with Downworlders, a bacchanalia of faerie fruits and wines, gargoyles enchanted by warlock magic, waltzing werewolves, vampires in berets painting portraits in blood, an ifrit accordionist who could make you weep yourself to death. It was the Paris Shadow Market, and from the moment Céline first saw it, she felt herself finally home.”

Below, I'll summarize what we learned about every character, so it will include spoilers for this short story.

Céline Montclair had a rather unpleasant childhood: her parents used to lock her up in a basement; whip her; set demons on her; leave her for the night in a werewolf-ridden wood. So it's no wonder she's so easily taken in by Valentine, who is the first person in her life to tell her that she is exceptional. She is 17 now and in her last year of Shadowhunter Academy. After that, she can finally leave her parents' house.

Stephen Herondale has now become Valentine's right hand man as Luke has become a vampire. Stephen is married to Amatis, but Celine has a crush on him. However, he views her as childish, says she will always needs someone to look out for her, and laughs at the idea of him ever being with Celine, which hurts Celine so badly.

Rosemary is actually the lost Herondale, not her husband Jack, and she warns Celine that Valentine is not who she thinks he is. This leads Celine to spying on Valentine, and she finds out that he had paid the warlock they were hunting to lie and give a false confession against two Shadowhunters that Valentine wanted dead.

Valentine gives Celine a choice: she can leave and try and warn the Consul (who have never believed her when she's gone to them about her parents), or she can stay with him, and he will make sure Stephen falls in love with her. She knows if she chooses Stephen, that two innocent Shadowhunters will be murdered. But she makes that choice anyway.

Jem, besides what I mentioned above, he also meets up with Tessa at the end of this one and tells her about the Lost Herondale.

See Cassandra Clare's explanation for Celine and Stephen's actions in this here.

The next story will be The Land I Lost and will be about Alec. It takes place after The Mortal Instruments and will be released on October 9.

EDIT: Jack Crow has been seen in The Dark Artifices, but he goes by a different name now. (x)

[Previous update]
"But do you know why you prefer it? Why you chase the pain?"

We get to meet Jace's mom, Celine, in this one, and it takes place in Paris!! Read a snippet here. The cover has also been revealed in her newsletter.

Blog: The Bookish Expedition and Instagram: @moonspree.

7. The Land I Lost by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
8. Through Blood, Through Fire by Cassandra Clare and Robin Wasserman
9. Ghosts of Old Loves
10. Forever Fallen
Kayleigh
5 stars.

“I sometimes think there is nothing more painful than love denied. To love someone you cannot have, to stand beside your heart’s desire and be unable to take them in your arms. A love that cannot be requited. I can think of nothing more painful than that.”

The Wicked Ones follows Celine Montclaire, who goes to the Shadow Market to escape. Celine would go anywhere in the world to escape the suffering she experiences at the han
ari
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella restored my faith to the Shadowhunter books. Interesting, fast paced and with amazing plot twists, this short story redeemed the two previous novellas.

We follow Celine, Jace's mother, before she married Stephen Herondale. This novella informed about her life before the Circle, her crush on Stephen and her relationship with the other members of the Circle, especially the very manipulative Valentine Morgenstern. Celine is a tragic figure, an Eponine, who was abused by her
Lina
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novellas
I have a feeling I say this every time, I know, I’m sorry. I just can’t help myself—I feel like this novella is the best one in this ‘series’ so far!

We met two of the very interesting female characters who each made a huge impact on the whole Shadowhunter chronicles—Jace’s mother and Kit’s mother.

Céline was one of those characters that I had kind of passively hated, mostly because the only other way we’ve been told about her was through Amatis’ eyes (and she, of course, g
Jen (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
We learn more about Celine in this novella and while her story was interesting I was not at all thrilled at having to read about Valentine.
There were also some important reveals about the lost Herondale. Finally! Jem’s had quite the journey over the years and I’m hoping that it’ll all come into play in QoAaD!
Paola
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos, fantasy
How far will you be willing to go in order to have the love of your life even when that sentiment is unrequited???
Well this book is about Celine Montclaire and her unrequited love for Stephen Herondale, about the decisions she has to make in order to have him even at the highest price.... I really enjoyed this companion novella set in the Shadowhunters World.
Banny Carstairs
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It seemed unfair that the city was so full of stone creatures who could feel nothing, and here she was, feeling so unbearably much.”
Jelena Milenković
Five stars for Jem and Tessa and the Herondale(s)

but

Two stars for everything else, sadly.

Céline let her pain and her insecurities dictate her instead of owning them, and that was her biggest mistake. I felt sorry for her, yes, but what she did at the end was not okay, was in fact unforgivable. She’s not that much better than Valentine, despite everything.

Good thing Jace didn’t grow up with them. Neither of them.
Though he did went through a si
Natasha
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Cruelty, harshness, pain: no one shielded us from the realities of life, and that made us strong.”

This has to be one of my favourite novellas in the Ghost of the Shadow Market.
We get to see something I been always curious about. The young Valentine and his Circle. I totally would love to see more of that.

This storyline follows on Celine. Which I find very interesting. We see a glimpse and mention of her in previous shadowhunter books but we never get to see a full
Fernanda Guzmán
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clara
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
COMPLETELY_BOOKISH
Interesting. I enjoyed the deeper view into the Circle.
Iris

This was super good! RTC.
Alexandra Elend Wolf
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2018, novellas

"Feeling is what makes us human. Even the most difficult feelings. Perhaps especially those. Love, loss, longing-this is what it means to be truly alive."

This was so good. I've always been really curious and interested in Céline Montclaire's life, and so when I heard that there was gonna be a short story focus on her, well, I was just over the moon.

I've always thought of her as someone rather... idiotic maybe, but this proves me, oh so wrong. Her whole background is one that I

• The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • Shadow Me (Shatter Me, #4.5)
  • The Golden Tower (Magisterium, #5)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Again, but Better
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Reveal Me (Shatter Me #5.5)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Fence #11 (Fence, #11)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

"Cassandra Clare was born overseas and spent her early years traveling around the world with her family and several trunks of fantasy books. Cassandra worked for several years as an entertainment journalist for the Hollywood Reporter before turning her attention to fiction. She is the author of City of Bones, the first book in the Mortal Instr

Ghosts of the Shadow Market (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #1)
  • Cast Long Shadows (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #2)
  • Every Exquisite Thing (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #3)
  • Learn about Loss (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #4)
  • A Deeper Love (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #5)
  • The Land I Lost (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #7)
  • Through Blood, Through Fire (Ghosts of the Shadow Market, #8)
  • The Lost World (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #9)
  • Forever Fallen (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #10)
“Feeling is what makes us human. Even the most difficult feelings. Perhaps especially those. Love, loss, longing—this is what it means to be truly alive.” 13 likes
“Even if one half of her heart was gone forever, the other half was still here.” 8 likes