Start by marking “Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)

Mission Critical

(Gray Man #8)

From Mark Greaney, the New York Times bestselling author of Gunmetal Gray and a coauthor of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels, comes a high-stakes thriller featuring the world's most dangerous assassin: the Gray Man.

Court Gentry's flight on a CIA transport plane is interrupted when a security team brings a hooded man aboard. They want to kick Gentry off the flight but are over
Published February 19th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mission Critical, please sign up.
Tom Cruzan I'm probably too late on this one but yeah this is a series that needs to be read in order. There are characters and plot points that are introduced i…moreI'm probably too late on this one but yeah this is a series that needs to be read in order. There are characters and plot points that are introduced in previous books and you'll have way more info on them than you should if you start with this book. But it's a great series. Start from book one and work your way through them. You won't regret it.(less)

Start your review of Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
Paromjit
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 8th in Mark Greaney's Gray Man series but my first, but it works perfectly fine as a standalone. The Gray Man, Court Gentry, code name The Violater, is the world's most dangerous assassin, an off the books contract killer for the CIA, one of those comprising Poison Apple, engaged in black ops run by Matt Hanley, Deputy Director of Operations. Gentry's handler, the ambitious Suzanne Brewer wants him back in Langley which has him on a CIA transport flight, where a security team bring o ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first foray into the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney, and I was assured this book can be read as a standalone. I’m happy to report it absolutely can, and I definitely want to read more of the Gray Man books.

The Gray Man is one of the most dangerous and mysterious assassins in the world, and he works for the CIA as a contract killer.

Court Gentry is on a CIA plane when a security team brings a disguised man on board. An attempt is made to get Gentry off the plane, but the CIA says no.
Terence M (Restored Disposition :))
Mission Critical (Gray Man #8) – Mark Greaney
Audiobook - 17:02 Hours (512 pages) - Narrator: Jay Snyder
Started: March 19, 2019 – Finished: March 26, 2019
💥💥💥💥 - 4.0 Stars of 5.0
I have listened to all of the 8 Gray Man audiobooks and I enjoyed every one of them to varying degrees, awarding 2 x 5 Stars, 3 x 4 Stars and 3 x 3 Stars. The Gray Man enjoyment process is pretty simple:
*Dial Down your expectations to at least moderate credibility levels;
*Dial Up your expectations of an intricate, excit
Lou
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mission Critical, the eighth novel in the Gray Man series, is another high-octane, action-packed and nail-bitingly tense thriller from an author who has swiftly become a favourite of mine due to the consistently superb ride on which he takes his readers, and I would go so far as to say this is his best work to date. Here, Greaney crafts another hard-hitting, propulsive story and delivers a plethora of shocks and surprises with considerable aplomb. He also puts a fresh, modern spin on the espiona ...more
The Real Book Spy
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mark Greaney (Agent in Place, 2018, etc.) reignites the Cold War in his latest must-read thriller featuring the Gray Man.

Back with the CIA in an unofficial capacity, Courtland Gentry, better known as the Gray Man, is given orders by his handler, Suzanne Brewer, to return to Washington. As it turns out, an agency plane happens to be in the region, and Court’s able to hitch a ride–but it’s not a direct flight to D.C. Their first stop is in Luxembourg City, where another group of operators boards
Jean
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this series from the beginning. I got hooked on the series with book one and it has become one of my favorites.

The book is well written and is packed with continuous action. Greaney grabbed my attention right at the beginning of the story and held it throughout. Court Gentry is the Grey Man and now is a contractor with the CIA instead of an employee. I enjoyed getting together with the regular characters and meeting some new ones. Sometimes the continuous action exhausted me, but I j
Adah Udechukwu
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mission Critical is an action-packed novel.
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Finally finished! Excellent read!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This story is intense from the beginning and completely grabs you. That is the one factor I love about reading this series. The author never repeats a plot or even a similar plot by another author. Each book I have read, and especially this one, has been completely unique, fast-paced, and totally gripping.

Mission Critical takes us to Europe for most of the story and the slow build in intensity, suspense, and information will just about st
Glen
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Gray Manis back working for the CIA. He's on a plane when a task force brings a prisoner aboard. The leader of the task force is the usual rigid yet incompetent type that always seems to lead these things.

Upon landing, the prisoner is taken, and the Gray Man is tasked with getting him back. His paramour, and another assassin are also on the case. There's a whole lot of fighting and shooting.

Great stuff. One of the best books of this genre this year.
Judy Lesley
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Berkley for an ARC of this novel.

Court Gentry is back for an eighth breathtaking thriller adventure and if you haven't read any of the Gray Man series yet, you've got quite a treat in store when you read this one. All the books are standalone but, of course, you get the full character development if you begin with the first and read right through them. Court is back working with the CIA in a capacity that is so secret even the other assets don't know the whole story. By the end of t
Kashif
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mission Critical is one of the finest novels I have ever read. Brilliantly infused plot-lines without turning overwhelming, stunning action sequences ranging from hand-to-hand combat to shootouts and car chases involving shootouts, a roster of returning characters and wonderful humor to balance the gritty situations in the novel. Court Gentry is back as The Gray Man, wrecking havoc in spectacular sequences of action and car chases on bad guys that cross his path. It is always a pleasure to see C ...more
Slaven Tomasi
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mission Critical, the eighth Gray Man novel from national best-selling author, Mark Greaney. Mark also wrote or co-wrote seven novels with author Tom Clancy in the Jack Ryan series and the Campus Novel series. On top of that, Mark also has another novel coming out this year, Red Metal (Out 7/16). Co-written with decorated United States Marine Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Hunter Ripley Rawlings.

Mission Critical reads like two separate thrillers combined in one, with two dangerous, highly trained a
Liz
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like this genre and aren't reading this series your missing out! Not sure how he does it but Mark Greaney just gets better and better. It has been a pleasure watching his writing evolve and growing along side this character.
This book is long, intense, and has many players. This didn't feel overwhelming as MG gave each character the appropriate amount of attention, thus the reader remains invested. The conclusion feels like our protagonist is moving into yet another chapter of his life an
Melissa
Update 3/09/2020:
Still 5 Amazing Stars!
I listened to the on Audible as I was driving back from Houston. The narrator for the Gray Man series is really good. It made this one just as good as when I read the book last year. I still think this is the best of the series (at least until I read One Minute Out ). I highly recommend this series for all Action-Thriller fans.

5/5 Stars
Wow! This is the best yet of the Gray Man series. Mark Greaney writes the best action sequences. There are car chases, plan
Samuel
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP

“Ah! my poor dear child, the truth is, that in London it is always a sickly season. Nobody is healthy in London, nobody can be.” - Jane Austen

“My job is to stop Britain going red.” - Margaret Thatcher

As we come into a new decade, one thing is difficult to argue with. The West is now fighting a second Cold War. From London assassinations to messy proxy battles in the Eastern Syrian borderlands, the Free World is slowly waking up to the fact that the end of history has no
Mark
"Mission Critical," the 8th in the "Gray Man Series," really shows the Tom Clancy influence on Greaney, as Court Gentry confronts a reawakened Cold War, as Zoya Zakharvoa's father attempts to extract revenge on the Western intelligence agencies for the assassination of his wife, the "turning" of his daughter and the rationalized death of his son...I really enjoyed the developing chemistry between Gentry, Zoya and the returning Zack Hightower...plenty of twists and turns in this fun page-turner.. ...more
Raphael El
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great action thriller in this series. I would love to see a spin off based on Sir Donald Fitzroy and Zack Hightower.
Sharon
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, suspense
Mission Critical follows the same formula as the previous Court Gentry novels, but it did not have the usual suspenseful hook that would keep the reader's attention. Court ends up in a seemingly impossible situation multiple times, which is nothing new. The problem that I had with the novel was that too much time was spent on side plots, especially the one that involved a possible breach in the covert chain.

The novel was entirely too long, getting bogged down in the middle due to the aforementio
Tracy T.
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING BOOK AND NARRATION BY JAY SNYDER (audible review)

Wow I love this series. It is so freaking good! I hate that I have to wait for the next book!

I love Court Gentry! This book was just as good as the previous and full of action. Kicking butt and taking names. I really like Zoya's character too. So many things always happening. Lots of Dialogue and great characters.

If you have not read/listened to this series, I highly recommend it! 100%

I literally took my time listening to this to keep it
Kay
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Started out an excellent thriller, but was not as good as his previous book. This could be a bit shorter and I'm not sure if I liked the ending. Still a good action thriller.
Michelle
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

....

Thank you to the Publisher for gifting me a copy of this book to read and share my review.

....

Wow! What a ride! A brilliantly written, fast-paced, action-filled novel that will have you on the edge of your seat for the whole ride! A nail-biter of a book, this will not disappoint you.

This was the first book by Mark Greaney that I have read and it definitely will not be my last! Mission Critical is book #8 in the Gray
Dan Curnutt
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
In another "Gray Man" political thriller we find Court Gentry sucked into action while just trying to catch a plane ride back to the United States. Even though he is just trying to sleep his way through a flight he ends up in the center of the action and actually has to rescue multiple people and try and finish an operation that he wasn't even a part of.

In true Gray Man fashion he can evaluate an operation, plan on the move, take down multiple bad guys at a time and still have time to find a pre
Donna Hines
Court Gentry is on a mission. One that involves capturing Feodor Zakharov -AKA-The Black Wolf.
His daughter seems to be running the show as she spies upon Americans. Zoya was taught this at an early age and has never let up.
Side plots are popping up all over while leaving Court to fend for himself in impossible situations.
Now the Poison Apple is part of this madness but it also appears that not everything was hammered down such as the Five Eyes council meeting.
I've not read previous books by Mar
L.A. Chandlar
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the Gray Man series. If you're in the mood for action, fantastic car chases, and heart racing scenes in a novel that reads like the best kind of CIA / MI6 movie, you'll absolutely enjoy it!
D.K.
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the story. Zach Hightower, lethal and funny. It was nice to have the Gray Man working with a team, after working alone through several books.
Abibliofob
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the Gray Man series and this one is one of the better ones. I think that the characters development are getting better and more interesting for every book, I actually liked that more than the story. Court Gentry is having such a bad luck and I wonder what will happen in the future for him, that is one of the reasons I'm a sucker for series with good interesting characters. It started so many years ago with C.S. Forester and his hero Hornblower. I can only recommend that you try Mar ...more
Garlan ✌
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good one. Greaney is getting better with each novel in the series. Lots of action. 4 stars.
elizrdbthspeaks
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goodreads says this is book 8? fast paced, totally gripping read. i wanna read more. great writing style. great book cover. love how it was laid out ... love it when folks laid out characters and if you by chance get confused u can take that list over and over. i mean u can not keep up with everything u know! this was a Goodreads win .. i do believe??! i think!??! political thriller. being that i am a newbie to this author, i am curious if need to see how we got here to book 8? i don't feel lost ...more
Trish R.
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boo-hoo! Another great read in the Gray Man series bites the dust. And I loved it. But, boy! This time Court got the hell beat out of him twice by Jon Hines, a 6’9 giant monster, almost 3 times, if Court hadn’t finally given him all that he deserved.

There was so much excitement and killing in this I couldn’t even begin to guess how many died. Good guys and bad.

And I liked that Court had a little romance, everything off-screen, with Zoya, but I thought it was a little silly why she was so angr
Sabrina
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Love the Gray Man - he really is one of my favorite characters and Mark Greaney doesn't disappoint ! Also Jay Snyder does an excellent narration - as always! Seriously - Brewer is a real B - maybe she'll get what she deserves in the next Gray Man novel..... looking forward to her payback!

• Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • Backlash (Scot Harvath #19)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma, #1)
  • Tom Clancy Enemy Contact
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • True Believer (Terminal List, #2)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath, #19)
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Open Carry (Arliss Cutter #1)
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • Oath of Office (Jack Ryan Universe #26)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Active Measures
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
Mark Greaney has a degree in International Relations and Political Science. In researching The Gray Man series he traveled to ten countries and trained extensively in the use of firearms, battlefield medicine, and close range combative tactics.

Learn more at MARKGREANEYBOOKS.COM

Email Mark at MarkGreaneyBooks@gmail.com

Gray Man (10 books)
  • The Gray Man (Gray Man, #1)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • Dead Eye (Gray Man, #4)
  • Back Blast (Gray Man, #5)
  • Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6)
  • Agent in Place (Gray Man, #7)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Relentless

News & Interviews

“Zack said, "What do you need to do to get out of here?"
"You have any frags?"
"Negative."
"Smoke?"
"Negative."
"Bangers?"
"That's a negative."
"The f_ck kind of rescue is this?”
3 likes