Start by marking “Waste Not” as Want to Read:
Waste Not

Waste Not

'This is a much-needed guidebook from a true agent of change.’ Sarah Wilson

We need to talk about waste. Shrink-wrapped vegies, disposable coffee cups, clothes and electronics designed to be upgraded every year: we are surrounded by stuff that we often use once and then throw away. Each year Australian households produce enough rubbish to fill a three-bedroom home,
Published July 1st 2018 by Hardie Grant Books

To ask other readers questions about Waste Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waste Not

Start your review of Waste Not
Jacinta Dietrich
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for so many reasons but one of my favourite things was the reminder that it’s okay to take five minutes out of your day to sit in and have a coffee. Good for your mind and the environment!
This book has plenty of information about plastics and waste, and also provides cost-effective and easy solutions or alternatives. Full of recipes and DIY tips from making your own beeswax wraps to the scrappy citrus vinegar, this book is designed to help you pinpoint areas in your life with
Ashlea Fletcher
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book after watching the War on Waste which made me realise how wasteful my family is! I really loved the practical way of looking at waste free living. Erin Rhoads so understanding of how hard it is to change our habits, and gives easy tips and tricks on slowly making changes. This book has really got me motivated to rethink how I live and my responsibilities; it’s definitely making me look closely at my impact on the environment and become more educated.

At the end of the day
Brooke
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have just recently read this book. I found it great to read, educational yet also very practical, and will be using it for years to come as a good reference guide for air freshener, beeswax wraps, composting, toothpaste and hundreds of other great ideas (there are just too many to list) and solutions to reducing waste. Erin's style of writing is easy to read and packed full of information, with handy tip boxes throughout the book. I really liked the way Erin talks about how we are all on our ...more
Romany
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: discard-studies
Just as detailed as Bea Johnson’s work, but more suited to Australian audiences, and in a style that’s easier to digest. If you can only buy one zero waste book, it should be this one. If you can borrow it from the library... even better!
Len
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is the Barefoot Investor for those wanting to be more environmentally friendly.
Rose
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the tone and style of the book, covering many topics plus offered loads of alternatives to everyday habits that we have been instilled in us. My rating 5 stars!!! My zero waste lifestyle is very achievable. Thanks Erin
Lauren Whitaker
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has got me pumped for my low waste lifestyle. Full of ideas and suggestions without being pushy or guilt tripping. I love how the author talks of her journey. This book has been my first on reducing waste, this definitely won’t be my last.
Dale
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal and will change the future. Everyone needs to take note of Erin's tips and extensive research to help cut down their over-consumption and waste. There are so many great ideas that are also easy to implement. I have already noticed that our weekly rubbish collection has been reduced dramatically by shopping differently. I also love the pictures and the layout, it makes it easier to go back and check something, like a guidebook. Everyone that has flipped through it at my ...more
Lesley
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great tips and advice for people starting out on the path to reducing their waste
Spencer Kassimir
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic and practical book! Highly recommended for both those starting and already interested.
J.R. Koop
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommend if you're making a start toward the zero-waste lifestyle. Has so many great tips and recipes for making some of the most basic things in your house!
Sal Mavic
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fun and practical, without coming across as overwhelming or too much. After following the zero waste lifestyle for a few years, I decided to purchase this book to see what it had to offer. I was surprised at the wealth of useful information and great advice within. I would love to find this book in every household across Australia and cannot wait to gift copies to family & friends.
erstwhilelucy
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Erin Rhoads’ Waste Not: Make a Big Difference By Throwing Away Less is a brilliant beginners guide for cutting down on waste. It was one of my goals this year to be more environmentally friendly in my day to day life, and this book was the perfect inspiration.

The book is beautifully laid out, with lots of images and words kept to a minimum in comparison to some other environmentalist books on the market. It’s divided up into different sections of the home and everyday life so that it’s easy to
Lisalopez
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really got value from this book. It is practical, motivating and an enjoyable read. Regardless of wether you are only just beginning to consider the impact of your waste or you are further along the road, you will learn something and gain ideas. Erin's approach is wise, supportive and kind. I really appreciated her focus on progress and finding your next step rather than perfection. Highly recommended.
Sunniva
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is so necessary. I did find though that as someone who is already trying to live low-waste most of the tips were things I already knew, and since the book covers more or less all aspects of life it often didn’t go as in-depth about certain topics as I would have liked. Regardless I will encourage all of my friends to read this book, hoping they may also pick up some new habits. I was definitely inspired, and took a few more steps towards a zero-waste lifestyle while reading this book.
Natalie Marshall
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author has written a hefty and accessible book on Zero Waste living brimming with resources, wisdom and hope. I finished this book feeling inspired and highly recommend it for anyone wishing to reduce their personal environmental footprint and trash.
Rachel Beaver
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant - great for first steps towards reducing waste, but also covers a wide range of topics & includes useful recipes & references for those looking to do more
Chloecatastrphe
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring read! Jam
Packed full of tips and tricks to reduce our waste in every aspect of our life. Erin has thoughtfully put this together with so many practical guides and will be an excellent reference to have in my library.
starwolvie
This book would be perfect for the person who knows nothing about "zero waste". There wasn't anything new here for me.

The things I did like:
It an Australian book,
The options for what changes you could make at the end of each section: for one change, two changes, or change the world
Her stance on sunscreen : "I encourage people to use a sunscreen that is water-resistant and appropriate for them. If that happens to be in plastic, so be it. Skin cancer is serious.
Saying - don't succumb to
Victoria
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found Waste Not to be very helpful while doing the Plastic Free July experience and it has continued to help me on my journey to reduce my waste output. There are so many helpful hints and tips. I'd recommend it to anybody wanting to become an Eco warrior.
Alissa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it has a lot of great tips in it for going zero waste. For those of us outside Australia, we have to remember that a lot of what she says is specific to Australia, but that it’s mostly universal.

Would absolutely recommend to anyone looking to start going zero waste.
Elien
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A complete overview of ways to tackle waste. It covers all kinds of topics from waste in the workplace to your bathroom or kitchen etc. There's some background information on materials, with a large focus on plastics. I'm glad there is some nuance as well, so as not to demonize plastics either (e.g. for medical purposes). Definitely going to try some of the cleaning, washing and body care recipes!
Jessica Hamilton
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An extremely eye-opening, inspirational read! So many tips to ease into a zero waste lifestyle! Our copy will have torn pages soon as we flick through and refer to it on a daily basis highly recommended read ...more
Russell Tassicker
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative guide that avoids preachiness. Some of the research and citations are a bit thin but there is a lot of helpful, practical advice for reducing our waste in pretty much all areas of our lives.
alexa
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy tips, Australian. Fun to read. Check it out.
Glitterbomb
I can't say enough good things about this book!

RTC
Sophie
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone needs to read this book. EVERYONE.
Paul
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a thought provoking and very readable book on living more responsibly. Erin is obviously living the low waste life and as such the ideas in this book are very practical. This is a book we will be keeping within easy reach as it makes a good reference as we make the changes in our household.
Ian Michael
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My friend gave me this book as a birthday present. I always thought I was doin my bit and reducing my waste but this book showed me how to take it to another level. Erin gave some fantastic insight into her own journey but also demonstrated to the reader how they can not only incorporate it into their own life but also make it easy.
Irene Suarez
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I really enjoy her blog and instagram but the book was hard to read. I did not like the graphics, the real pictures were great but the drawings were terrible. It is a good resource book (to look for a particular recipe or advice on something very specific) but it is pretty hard and boring to read from cover to cover.
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Zero Waste Life: In Thirty Days
  • A Family Guide to Waste-free Living
  • Less Stuff: Simple Zero-Waste Steps To A Joyful And Clutter-Free Life
  • 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste
  • Zero Waste Home: The Ultimate Guide to Simplifying Your Life by Reducing Your Waste
  • Zero Waste: Weniger Müll ist das neue Grün
  • Low Tox Life: A handbook for a healthy you and happy planet
  • The Joyful Frugalista: Grow your cash, be savvy with your money and live abundantly
  • The Barefoot Investor for Families: The only kids' money guide you'll ever need
  • Every Woman's Guide To Saving The Planet
  • Quitting Plastic: Easy and practical ways to cut down the plastic in your life
  • Down to Earth
  • Destination: Simple - Rituals and Rhythms for a Simpler Daily Life
  • How to Give Up Plastic: A Guide to Changing the World, One Plastic Bottle at a Time
  • Turning the Tide on Plastic: How Humanity (And You) Can Make Our Globe Clean Again
  • Half Baked Harvest Super Simple: More Than 125 Recipes for Instant, Overnight, Meal-Prepped, and Easy Comfort Foods: A Cookbook
  • Banking Bad: Whistleblowers. Corporate cover-ups. One journalist's fight for the truth.
  • Sustainable Home: Practical projects, tips and advice for maintaining a more eco-friendly household