Start by marking “Respiratory Physiology: The Essentials ” as Want to Read:
Respiratory Physiology: The Essentials

Respiratory Physiology: The Essentials

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This compact, concise, easy-to-read monograph explains the key concepts and equations in respiratory physiology. The Seventh Edition updates and revises material to reflect current advances in respiratory science but does not stray from the proven formula students and faculty have enjoyed since 1974.

New updates include physiology of pulmonary capillaries, hypoxic pulmonary
Published May 20th 2004 by LWW (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Respiratory Physiology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Respiratory Physiology

Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: not-for-pleasure
If I have to read medical books, I might as well add them to my goodreads. This is actually an extraordinarily helpful book on respiratory physiology--simple, lightweight, and a lifesaver when your physio prof is senile!
Jeshua Amalesh
I am writing this review in my first year of medical student in London. The reason I say this is because I think this book would be far more useful if I was specialising in pulmonary medicine (and also maybe if I was in the U.S.A.).
There were lots of aspects of this book that I just wasn't able to wrap my head around the science that was being explained. It was extremely complex and I often spent ages on one particular concept, even consulting friends doing engineering, but I didn't make much pr
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel this book is a must read for anybody dealing with the lungs. It was recommended to me by one of my instructors when I was in school for Respiratory Therapy and it was the single most useful book -- even more than the actual text books to the course.

Since then, I have read the book every year for the last 9 years. Each time I read it, I find new things or a new way to look at something. I expect to continue reading this book each year that I'm a respiratory therapist.

Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medicine
This book is short and concise, which is good for last minute revisions or quick referencing around the wards. Of course, this isn't the book that elaborates on concepts lucidly. The graphs in this book are poorly explained, in my opinion, but this could be easily fixed by referencing to another source material.
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anesthesia
This book is one of the most important books one can read about respiratory physiology. There are few equations and excellent explanations of pulmonary mechanics. Any medical student should read this before starting residency. If you want to go into anesthesia, ICU, or pulmonary medicine, you MUST read this early in your training. It is time well spent, with chapters that are short and concise.
William Corder
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Considered the go to pocket manual for Respiratory Phys. This helped me immensely in a Pulmonary module at school. If the images had been updated at all since this book was first published, this would be a 5/5.
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another lifesaver for med school year 1.
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it