Start by marking “Nancy Drew #1” as Want to Read:

(Nancy Drew #1)

Nancy Drew is seventeen and good at everything...ESPECIALLY solving crimes. But her totally-in-control-and-obviously-running-perfectly-smooth-(but-not-really) life hits a snag when a mysterious message drags her back to the hometown she left behind. There she’ll have to find out which of her friends are still her friends, which are enemies, and who exactly is trying to kil ...more
Published June 13th 2018 by Dynamite

To ask other readers questions about Nancy Drew #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nancy Drew #1

Start your review of Nancy Drew #1
Ahmed  Ejaz
Thought I would like it. But it isn't my cup of tea.
Liked the beginning. But the mystery isn't enough for me to keep reading this.
By the way, graphical work is amazing

So I'm not continuing this series.
Kristin Lansdown
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew and Sammy Keyes and Veronica Mars shaped my youth. They are the reason I am as information saavy as I am today (and a librarian). So when I read this was coming out and that George would be Queer and Bess full-figured I was an instant fan! Not sure what this art style is called but it’s very full and colorful. Reminds me of Archival Quality. I love the art in this, love how real George is with Nancy (sis you been gone 7 years and just gonna pop up?!) love the diversity and interested ...more
Brandi Bailey
I’m hooked! Off to add these to my pull list immediately.
Emily
#1 ★★★★☆
#2 ★★★★★
#3 ★★★★☆
#4 ★★★★☆
#5 ★★★★★
TPB #1-5 ★★★★★ (4.5)

A fun beginning to a new iteration of Nancy Drew. I really like the art style, and I'm already loving the diversity. Fat Bess! Queer George! Nancy's new friends Noah and Mia are POC! And there's a surprise cameo by the Hardy Boys! So far, the vibe is giving me some Fillmore!-esque realness. I've already got #2 pre-ordered, and I'm looking forward to getting a better idea of the storyline going forward.

I will say that I'm already getting
Aspen Bassett
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yeah, I'll definitely be reading more of this. This modernized Nancy Drew fits the girl in my head better than any other story. She's tough, she's clever, and she's confident. When Nancy has to travel to her own hometown and reunite with Bess, George, and the Hardy Boys to solve a cold case involving her mom, I felt like grown up me was returning too. Things had changed and yet, in a way, nothing had changed. It was both new and comforting. I grew up reading Nancy Drew and playing every single H ...more
Deidre
I have never been a reader of actual comic books. They're always surprisingly short! I liked the way the girl characters are drawn, and the comic was fun to read. I wonder what I'm missing given that I've never read actual Nancy Drew books (I was a big fan of Trixie Belden though)
Brittany
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
The cover art is killer! So so good! The story like is interesting but didn’t hook me. This is just issue 1, but I don’t care to know what happens next.
Ceili
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally. A modern Nancy Drew story with the butch lesbian George Fayne we DESERVE! *hallelujah chorus plays in background*
Andy Hickman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Nancy Drew #1
How can she be 17 and yet have years of experience?
Cartoonish images but intense story of attempted murder.
“Are cold water ad deadly falls a theme?”
3/5
Ari
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hey Gang!

I talk about Nancy Drew all the time, as one of my favorite fictional detectives I am always on the lookout for new material. I've currently been reading through her Case Files Series. so when I found out that Dynamite was giving us a Nancy Drew series written by Kelly Thompson and illustrated by Jenn St-Onge, I, A knew I had to read it and B, definitely wanted to pick Jenn's brain about the series. You can read that interview here.

I just finished the review for Issue 2 on Comicosity
Emmy
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I was super excited when I heard this was coming out. The gritty ND/HB comics that came out last year were cool (honestly I'm still finishing them) but didnt really work for me.

I've been a Nancy fan for 20 years now. I've collected Nancy Drew since I was 7. So I'm kind of a big fan of hers. I've enjoyed nearly every version of hers from the 1930's blue backs to the Her Intersctive game series. I have a few hundred books and Nancy merch. So that's where I'm coming from.

I love that Nancy has red h
Kristin
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It has been more than a few years since I last read Nancy Drew, but… this character didn't feel like her to me. I don't know whether it's because it's not in that vaguely '50s/'60s America from before I was born or because they've aged her a little older, or because the writers see Nancy Drew differently than I did, but… my biggest complaint is that it doesn't feel like the Nancy Drew I know.

That said, I feel like there's potential here. And I wonder whether Nancy Drew is old enough now that you
Elle
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD!!

Kelly captured the essence of Nancy Drew while modernizing it perfectly. Bess Marvin was always hinted at fat and I'm so happy to see her portrayed that way while also not demeaning her for it (and she has a conventionally attractive love interest?! Amazing) and George has always been a queer icon, let's be real! Happy to see her out and proud, she deserves a girlfriend.

I tried watching the new cw show and got super annoyed they erased what was clearly canon (I'm talking especially ab
Simeon Scott
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
As someone who knows very little about Nancy Drew and mainly picked this up because the incentive cover looked really cool, I was completely lost during this even though it takes time to explain things a lot, I still found myself going "Ok, this is nothing like what I've heard about the books and this doesn't seem nearly as interesting to be" a lot. So yeah, probably gonna skip this and leave it for die hard fans who hopefully liked it.
Ada
I know nothing about Nancy Drew except the saying ''Don't be such a Nancy Drew''. I got sucked in by the pretty cover.

I liked the characters interactions. Very non-judgemental.
But it did felt like she switched her new friends for the old ones and I'm curious if her new friends will show up again.

I think if you grew up with Nanacy Drew stories you would enjoy it more. For me it was an okay and quick read but in the end I will forget about it.
Katie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-book
Can I just stare at this GORGEOUS cover for the rest of the day? I’m SO INTO the art, which is by a different artist than the artist who does the rest of the issue. I’m into all of it. Their new designs are fresh and relatable, we have some fun cameos, and of course a perilous cliffhanger. It’s ND for Gen Z and I’m here for it ❤️
astrea
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic, read-2018
I'm not really sure what I think of this yet. 25 pages really isn't enough to make my mind up. I loved the original Nancy Drew books growing up, and the PC games. I'm all for reimaginings but I'm going to reserve judgement on this one until I read more.

Which I'll... probably do? I don't know yet. We'll see.

Also two Taylor Swift references? Really?!
TurningPages
Nov 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
If you'll pardon the pun, this "modern" take on Nancy Drew was comically bad. Filled with unnatural and desperately quirky dialog, underdeveloped and useless characters, terrible grammar, and plot holes aplenty, this ill-conceived attempt to turn Nancy Drew into a Veronica Mars knockoff is more embarrassing than edgy. Do yourself a favor and avoid this title.
Peggy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I was never a huge fan of the original Nancy Drew series, but I did enjoy this graphic novel re-imagining. Good art, decent story... I particularly liked the captions (I had to look that word up - it's words that appear in a box separated from the rest of the panel or page, usually to give voice to a narrator). It was a fun, quick read.
Elena
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the art style (although my cover looks different to this one and honestly, better) and the colouring.
I can't say much about plot - after all the first issue is so short and only gets us introduced to the main characters. But I can say I'm definitely gonna love this new version of Nancy.

(Review copy given at the London Book Fair)
Doc
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Nancy Drew is back thanks to Dynamite comics in this 1st issue available on Kindle. When a mysterious letter shows up Nancy decides to return to her old home of Bayport to search for clues and gathering the old gang including the equally famous Hardy Boys she is not about to let a little thing like danger get between her and a good mystery.
Lauren
I was a very casual fan of Nancy Drew as a kid, I enjoyed the books when I remembered to read them. That being said I was pretty excited for this comic and it did not disappoint! I will definitely be continuing.
M.
Well I can see the appeal of this take on Nancy Drew, very fun. Personally I was hoping the interior art would match the feel of the cover art, edgier and grittier. Inside the art is way more whimsical and comical but so is the tone of the book so in the end it’s still a fun read.
Jamie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I mean...it's Nancy Drew. Of course I loved it.
Izabel
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comics
Totally digging this but I think I'm going to wait for the trade to come out - such a short issue!
Allison Ketchell
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun addition to the Nancy Drew canon. My only complaint is that I wanted it to be longer.
connie
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
4/5 stars

I can see myself ending up with a crush on all of these characters as the series progresses and I'm ready
H
Eh. Quite boring til the unexpected crossover with the Hardy Boys and the appearance of George. We'll see but I'm not that excited about this, story- or illustrations-wise.
Amma
Meh. Just meh. I was a HUGE Nancy Drew fan when I was young and this was a disappointing start to the revamp. I'm cautiously optimistic for the next issue.
Kristin
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Liked this better that the other Nancy Drew comic reboot which was crime noir.

• Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: The Big Lie
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne!
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #1
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #4
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #3
  • Bloodborne: The Death of Sleep (Bloodborne, #1)
  • Hotel Dare
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #2
  • Bee and PuppyCat, Vol. 1
  • Crowded, Vol. 1
  • Abbott #5
  • Blackbird #1 (Blackbird, #1)
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #6
  • Abbott #4
  • Abbott #2
  • Nancy Drew And The Hardy Boys: The Big Lie #5
  • Betty & Veronica (2018-) #1
KELLY THOMPSON has a degree in Sequential Art from The Savannah College of Art & Design. Her love of comics and superheroes have compelled her since she first discovered them as a teenager. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with her boyfriend and the two brilliant cats that run their lives, you can find Kelly all over the Internet where she is generally well liked, except where she's detested.

K