Start by marking “The Night Before Summer Vacation” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Summer Vacation

The Night Before Summer Vacation

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
A little girl and her family are getting ready to go on vacation . . . or at least they are trying to. In the effort to pack everything that will be needed, there's bound to be something overlooked, and what that is provides a funny ending to this meter-perfect "twist" on Clement Moore's classic.
Published April 29th 2002 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Summer Vacation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Summer Vacation

Amber Lewis
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is about a girl and her family who are getting ready to go on a trip for summer vacation, and all of the crazy problems they run into. The story's detailed illustrations coincide with the text that is on the page. It is written in a rhyming pattern, and I would use this format to discuss the words that rhyme together on each page. I would use this book with first or second graders at the beginning of the school year, and have the student connect with the te ...more
April
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
very cute book!
Meg McGregor
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This story is based on the poetic style of The Night Before Christmas.

It brought back many happy memories for me!

I especially enjoyed this part!

"I heard Jimmy ask
as we drove out of sight,
'Mommy, are we there yet?'
She said, "With luck, by tonight."

I really enjoyed the part where they forgot the family dog! He needs to go on vacation too!
Kara Campfield
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-books
The Night Before Summer Vacation is a nice book and a family getting ready to leave. It talks about their previous trips before and how hectic it can be to pack everything. Their is a fun plot-twist at the end where they forget the little brother!
1. Rhyming
2. Summer
3. Flat Stanley project-Read book, make flat Stanley, then have them take it on a trip somewhere and document it
Smita
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gavin
A summertime take on 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.
Annabel Rodriguez
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Karsyn Konecny
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: el-230
This book is about a famliy who is getting ready for their summer vacation the night before they leave. It shows them packing and reminising on vacations past. It's a shorter picture book but I liked it because it would be a good brain break book when young children such as kindergarten age need a break. There are several fun activities we could do with the book such as the children thinking about a place that they would like to go on vacation some day or what they would pack for that vacation. ...more
Chelsie
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The genres of this book are realistic fiction, poetry, and picture story book. The books tells an interesting story of a family preparing for a trip to begin the summer vacation. There are different elements of preference in cultural choices and gender decisions of what to carry on the trip. This story also shows a young child as the main character doing real life tasks that can relate to things students do in this part of their development. For instance, they have to search for appropriate clot ...more
Sha
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book really bring a chuckle to me. When growing up my grandparents always took me on vacation every summer. I love the text to self connection I get from this book and I bet many students would get the same. My warning would be that even those that get to go on summer vacation may have a text to self connection, those that do not get to may get their feelings hurt. I would be careful when using in the classroom as to how you use the book.
Amber
Apr 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I would read this story to my class right before summer vacation started. I think one thing that made it just a fun book to read was that it rhymed and flowed together almost like a song, just like twas the night before Christmas. I also liked the funny illustrations in the story because I think it would make it easier for kids to get into the story and possibly remind them of vacations they had taken with their own families.
Victoria Dimmitt
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read about a family getting ready to leave for summer vacation. I think this is something that all kids and adults alike can relate to. The hectic hours before vacation when you trying to everything together and ready to go. This book would be good for younger children around 1st/2nd grade.
Emily
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yes
Title: The Night Before Summer Vacation
Author/Illustrator: Natasha Wing
Publisher: Grosset and Dunlap
Date: April 29, 2002
Genre: fiction

Definitely something kids can relate to, having a hectic schedule and being rushed. Great for younger elementary. Fun twist on the book "Night Before Christmas."
Rebecca
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Following the metrical patterns of The Night Before Christmas, the author portrays a family getting ready for summer vacation. The author uses some of the exact wording at times such as "where visions of" and "when what to our wondering eyes should appear." It is an easy one to read aloud to small children.
Ealthafer
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-books
This is probably one of my new favorite books I have found to teach craft. This story is a twist on the song "The Night Before Christmas." When the book is read to the tune of the Christmas jingle it is perfect but the book describes a family the night before they leave for vacation.
Jana
This is a fun picture book that is a terrific play on The Night Before Christmas. This family of four is packing everything into the car for their summer vacation. Young readers will have a great time finding out if anything gets left behind!
Angie
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: story-time
I bought this fun little story from a school book order. My kids love it and it's a fun twist on the Night Before Christmas. If you're planning a vacation or big camping trip, this would be a fun read with little ones before you go.
Katie Carlisle
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, family
The rhyming and colorful, detailed illustrations of this story help bring it to life for young readers.
Sheila
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book to read at teh end of the school year!
Heather Jo
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Kim
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jt-s-books
JT enjoyed the rhyming pattern and simple language. This made an excellent bedtime story.
Jessica Mccormick
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Definitely reminds me of rushing to get ready for up north every year!
Rhonda Frost riley
  • Miss Malarkey Doesn't Live in Room 10
  • Butterflies And Moths
  • Don't Eat the Teacher
  • Titanicat
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick!
  • I Hate English!
  • The Shape Game
  • I'm a Little Teapot
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Kiss Me, I'm Perfect!
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • Country Angel Christmas
  • SpongeBob's Easter Parade
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
More about Natasha Wing