Start by marking “Summer at Hollyhock House” as Want to Read:
Summer at Hollyhock House

Summer at Hollyhock House

An uplifting romantic comedy from a new voice in women’s fiction! Perfect for fans of Trisha Ashley, Debbie Johnson, Jenny Colgan and Holly Martin.

One long summer changed Faith forever…

Faith Coombes should have been over the moon when her long-term boyfriend proposed to her. But instead, she broke up with him. Rob was safe, reliable, nice and … boring. Nothing
Published August 2nd 2018 by Sapere Books

To ask other readers questions about Summer at Hollyhock House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer at Hollyhock House

Start your review of Summer at Hollyhock House
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful escapism from the cold, grey weather. I was transported to the hazy summer days, full of love, laughter and magic. Bussey totally creates a magical setting at Hollyhock house as I found myself falling in love with the place as Faith rediscovers herself.

Undoubtedly, the way in which Bussey describes Hollyhock creates a sense of magic and mystery. The attention to setting and the detail captures the lethargy of long, summer evenings. Faith, the protagonist, cannot escape the
Debbie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes this genre
Recommended to Debbie by: sapere books
Thank you for Sapere books sending me an advance copy of Summer at Hollyhock House, the following thoughts within this review are entirely my own.

I had been keeping an eye on this book as it had been advertised on Amazon that it was due for release, so was pleasantly surprised to have the chance to read an advanced copy.

Whilst I enjoyed the content and the idyllic setting written within the book, I did find it however very slow in places and wished that it would hurry up and get to the next
Nicola Clough
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the look of the cover to this book and really wanted to read it I hadn't ward of the author at all. It started off very well but then in places I found it slow and did struggle at times but could see the idea behind the story and was full of love, heartbreak and romance and uplifting.
Faith is with her long term boyfriend and when he proposed it should have been a happy time but she realised he isn't the one for her and leaves her. Sadly she can't afford to rent a flat so she moves back
Sally Coles
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Faith has been existing rather than living with her boyfriend Rob and so when he proposes in front of their friends she is horrified rather than delighted and leaves him and moves back home to her parents' house. She soon meets up with her old friends Minel and Sara and when Minel offers her a job for the summer renovating the garden at Hollyhock House she agrees........ but what if Minel's brother Rik is around can she face him after 9 years!

A great book I loved the story of Faith's and Rik's
Donna Maguire

I love the cover for this book and I was drawn in by the blurb!

This is a delightful story to read and I really enjoyed the time I spent with the characters. The writing style was great and the story flowed really well.

The characters are very well developed and I enjoyed their interaction. The setting was lovely and it sounds like somewhere I wouldn’t mind living myself!

It is 4.5 stars from this one for me rounded up to 5 stars on Goodreads and Amazon – it
Grace J Reviewerlady
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
We all have memories of young love from our teenage years and this is the tale of Faith and Rik - full of fun, friends, family and with a big helping of feelings.

Faith's friends - and their partners - all pop round on her birthday bearing gifts and good wishes to the home she shares with Rob, her boyfriend of three years; but when he gets down on one knee and presents her with a ring they soon depart when she doesn't rush in with an excited acceptance. Realising the relationship has run it's
Karen Mace
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Tempted to read this by the gorgeous cover, I found this to be a pleasant and comforting read if a little predictable at times.

Faith as a character is an interesting one! She's feeling disillusioned and when her boyfriend proposes, it becomes clear that marriage isn't what she wants! So she heads back home to her parents and connects with her old friends. And that means confronting a past that she clearly hasn't got over!

I loved the gardening element of this book! To return to a house she has
Patricia Caliskan
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Idyllic Romance...
The fragrant setting of Hollyhock House, and instantly likeable troupe of characters, set the backdrop for a nostalgic read, that'll leave you wanting to take a long weekend to romp around the countryside.
When Faith says no to a future with Rob, she retraces childhood steps back to first love, Rik.
This book reminded me of summer pudding. A real treat of a read. Sweet, indulgent, with a cherry-tartness that will leave you wanting more. I'm sensing a sequel...
Connie Liñares
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Faith is a young girl who seems to be on track, a steady job, a steady relationship, a steady life... Until she realizes that's not what she wants.
After breaking up with her boyfriend, she moves back to her parents house where she reconnects with her old friends, her old hobbies and her old love.

I loved the way she rediscovered herself, but mostly, I loved how she got to discover the people around her.
It's never too late to change paths... and find a new adventure!
Jenn
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jan Locke
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was a little confused looking for the “uplifting romantic comedy”. I was slow to get interested because you’re given a lot of characters with little background. Once i understood the characters more, I began to enjoy the plot & empathize with the characters. It was a good book, well-written with great characters that live life a decade later with as much confusion as they had at 17. It’s kind of a coming of age with sorrowful reminiscence of heartaches & dark thoughts of unrequited ...more
Emma-Nicole Lewis
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous read and beautifully written

I bought this on recommendation so it is not my usual genre. But now I am converted! A great story, cleverly written so that you will truly empathise with Faith and the rollercoaster of emotion she feels during her summer at Hollyhock House. The book has depth, beautifully articulated prose and the author the ability to transport you to a wonderful place where you can lose yourself in the characters and their lives as soon as you pick the book up.
Ilana
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life hasn't been too exciting lately for Faith. At 26, she has a boyfriend that bores her to tears and a job which is not too demanding either. She dreams of taking some classes for learning gardening, but there is no time or encouragement on behalf of her life partner.

After refusing her boyfriend's proposal, she decides to spend some time in the countryside, at her parents', catching up with her girlfriends. But she has a well-kept secret that no one knows and this secret has a name: Rik,
Lynn McCrum
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is my first book by this author - I felt it was a little slow to begin with but picks up pace as you get into it and leaves you all warm and fuzzy inside.

Faith’s boyfriend proposes to her in front of all her friends but rather than be delighted she freezes and then decides that she doesn’t want to settle for someone ‘safe’ she wants adventure!!

She returns home to her childhood home and her friends. It soon becomes clear that something happened in her past which has made her stop taking
Laura Hales
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It conjured feelings of youthful nostalgia whilst also making me feel glad that teenage and mid-20s angst are a thing of the past. It was escapist whilst also being quite identifiable in terms of the ups and downs of navigating relationships, careers and coming of age in general.
A cracking first novel for the author. I'd like to read future novels from her and perhaps see the humour develop as there were a few laughs within the angst which I feel the author might explore in
Janette
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely, easy heartwarming book which I really enjoyed. Full of nostalgia which took me back to my own teenage years. Good characterisation and a lovely location which I would love to visit. A story of romance and heartbreak.

A perfect book for a cosy afternoon on the sofa or a holiday read.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher foir the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Nicola
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Following her separationwith Rob, Faith returns to the village where she grew up and to her best friends home, Hollyhock House.
Hollyhock holds many memories, secrets from Faiths youth, in fact, this is where her heart is.
The author captures the beauty of Hollyhock, I could picture it and longed to visit.This is a lovely feel-good story, though quite slow I felt in parts, but enjoyable none the less. Faith is strong and feisty, but very vulnerable too, I really liked her.
Vicki Homan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good summer read

I e noted

I enjoyed the book though it was rather predictable, but it was a good light read ideal to take on holiday

anita trace
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Loved the story, characters just brilliant.
There needs to be a sequel The characters come alive from the page into vivid people in my imagination.
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely read which I thoroughly enjoyed. Lighthearted and fun, with the perfect amount of wish-fulfilment.
Fiona Macsporran
MRS JENNY
Aug 29, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Villa of Sun and Secrets: A warm escapist read that will keep you guessing
  • Christmas at Wynter House (Wyntersleap series Book 1)
  • A Wedding at The Cosy Cottage Café (The Cosy Cottage Cafe, #5)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Four: Starry Skies
  • A Way Back Home (Willow Tree Hall)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Two: Sparks Fly
  • Blame it on the Moonlight (Michaelmas Bay, #2)
  • The Gift of Happiness
  • Bells and Bows on Mistletoe Row
  • Escape to Oakbrook Farm (Hope Cove #2)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Three: Christmas
  • The Summer of Chasing Dreams
  • Bridge Over the Atlantic (Bridge Over the Atlantic #1)
  • Bedlam & Breakfast at a Devon seaside guesthouse: A wonderful, heartwarming and hilarious read, perfect for all seasons
  • Christmas at The Little Duck Pond Cafe
  • Christmas by the Lighthouse
  • Beneath the Moon and the Stars
  • The Little Village on the Hill
Cathy is an author, journalist and hopeless romantic who wrote her first book at the tender age of six. Entitled Tarka the Otter, it was a shameless rip-off of the Henry Williamson classic of the same name, and the manuscript was lost after she sent it to her pen-pal and never heard a jot from her since.
Fortunately reception to her writing became more favourable and she spent ten years working