Start by marking “Something in the Water” as Want to Read:
Something in the Water

Something in the Water

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  72,483 ratings  ·  8,063 reviews
Listening Length: 11 hours and 40 minutes

A shocking discovery on a honeymoon in paradise changes the lives of a picture-perfect couple in this taut psychological thriller debut--for readers of Ruth Ware, Paula Hawkins, and Shari Lapena.

If you could make one simple choice that would change your life forever, would you?

Erin is a documentary filmmaker on the brink of a p/>/>A
Audiobook, Unabridged, 12 pages
Published June 5th 2018 by Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Something in the Water, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kayce
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jean Sloppy characterization and a desire for a twist ending.

(Sorry, didn't realize you can't hide spoilers in questions, so SPOILER…more
Sloppy characterization and a desire for a twist ending.

(Sorry, didn't realize you can't hide spoilers in questions, so SPOILER ALERT):

We know Mark hired Patrick to terrorize Erin and get her off the scent only a day or two after they got home from their honeymoon. That means there’s not time for any major change of heart on his part, whether it’s deeming Erin a liability or falling out of love with her.

Presumably, the conclusion we’re meant to draw is that he never actually loved her, especially given this “look” he got in his eyes as he died. But that just raises more questions and makes the twist thinner: why marry her in the first place if you don’t love her? Is Mark meant to be a psychopath? Why don’t we see more psychopathic behavior from him, then? There certainly wasn’t enough in Mark’s behavior for me to buy that ending as believable.

Personally, I’m well over this trend of authors trying to emulate Gone Girl without understanding why Gone Girl was so effective. Not everything needs a twist ending, especially one so shoddily supported by the story.(less)

·  72,483 ratings  ·  8,063 reviews

Melissa

Let me start by giving credit where it’s due—Catherine Steadman nails the first chapter . . . hands down. Very few openers have acquired my attention as adeptly as those four simple sentences.

How could any suspense reader not be enthralled with a wo
Jennifer Masterson
The story was just “meh” for me. The audio was incredible. The author is an actress from Downton Abby. If you don’t read a lot of thrillers you might enjoy this. If you do read a lot of thrillers you might find it just ok.

I’m still in a rut. On to the next!
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
5 THUNK THUNK THUNK Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟!!!

A slow build to a shocking discovery, this book will have you wondering what you would do!!! See my review here!

What an incredible debut novel this is for Catherine Steadman! While the book starts with a bang, the next 30% is a slow build as you get to know the characters. Then at about 35% the story takes a turn and readers will find themselves holding on for the ride, unsure of where they’ll end up!!! I was unsure about this book at first, but I hav
Berit☀️✨
5 Tension Filled Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Well HOT damn this book was just... brilliant! Full disclosure I was running behind on my reviews so I purchased this on audio on release day and I was even a little hesitant because I saw the author was narrating.... not always a good thing, but I had no idea that Catherine Steadman is an actress.... and after finishing this book I now know she is also a fantastic author and audiobook narrator!!! Simply amazing! Seriously if I could I would give her narration si
Kendall
I had a really hard time rating this one.... do you ever have books where you get so frustrated with the characters that you just want to scream? Well.. this is definitely one where I was super frustrated and wanted to throw my kindle at times lol.

Erin and Mark are a newly married couple that don't have the best honest relationship. I noticed that Erin and Mark both have been keeping secrets from one another. Erin is trusting Mark a little more then she should despite all the red flags. But, Er
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Full review here
This might seem harsh but I really don't understand how this book got published in the way it is.

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

STYLE AND WRITING

Steadman’s writing, is not steady. Well. There is A LOT in this book. A LOT. In the beginning I thought: hey, she must be going into these details for a reason. Then the more I read, the more I became sure: there is no reason for us reading a wedding reception 3 course menu, and prices, for pages, OR how our character in/>STYLE
Julie
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman is a 2018 Ballantine publication.

Slightly predictable morality tale with a nice hook and a few clever twists-

You just got married, you’re in financial straits, looking at a drastic change in your quality of living standards, but you’ve already got a nice honeymoon planned in Bora Bora- so why not enjoy every minute of your vacation? That's what newlyweds Erin and Mark plan on doing before they head back to reality and an uncertain future
j e w e l s
FIVE STARS

For domestic suspense fun, it doesn't get much better than this! SOMETHING IN THE WATER is Numero Uno on the NYT bestseller list this week, a Reese's bookclub selection and the movie rights have long been snatched up!

All that buzzy attention heaped on one lil ole debut novel can make some of us (okay.....me😂)a tad skeptical. No need to worry. You are in expert hands with Catherine Steadman. Maybe you live on a deserted island and haven't heard, but Steadman is a fabulous, gorgeous actress wis
Crumb
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🌠🌠🌠🌠🌠 Chilling, Thrilling, and Killing Stars!

My rating system is very simple. If I read a book straight through the night, can't put it down at work, interrupt meals to get back to it, it's worthy of five stars. And this was the case for Something in the Water. Very few books, achem, thrillers deserve five stars, imho. They are either lacking in character development, plot development or a mixture of the two. I thought this thriller was expertly plotted and quick-paced. Although I found the beginning to be a little
Mischenko
I love psychological thrillers, so when I saw this on Audible I gave it a shot. I love that the book is narrated by the author. I thought she was perfect and had no issues there. The story just sort of fell flat for me.

The two main characters are Erin and Mark and the book is told from Erin’s POV. Erin writes documentaries for a living, while her husband Mark is an investment banker. He’s handsome and super loved by everyone. They’re newlyweds–very much in love– and about to head on
Kaceey
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐
Wow! What dynamite first chapter! Thought I’d be in for the thriller of the summer. If only...

This book reminded me of the old slasher movies where you’re screaming at the characters not to go into the basement. I found myself screaming at Erin and Mike, Not to open the duffel bag!

But of course characters aren’t going to listen to me. At seemingly every turn they’d be doing something that would just make me cringe and screaming, “stop!!” 😱

“ Have you ever wondered how long i
Linda
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Step back from the flame, honey.

You're gonna get burned.

Mark and Erin are on a stellar honeymoon in Bora Bora. Sun, sea, and each other. She's a documentary film producer and he's a successful investment banker. No worries. Or so it seems until they find something floating in the water. The depth of that ocean pales in comparison to the depth of problems that are gonna follow this couple home like stink on the back of a wayward skunk.

How deep is deep enough?

Catherine St
Holly  B
This one starts with a bang!

The opening chapter was one of the most intriguing I've read in a very long time. I was instantly curious and wanted to know what happened ( an event in the end of the story is revealed in the beginning chapter).  Let's just say I was  hooked!

I listened to this one on Audible and the narrator (who happens to be the author Catherine Steadman ) was perfection.  The timeline shifts back to tell the story of Erin and Mark, who are newlyweds, passionately in love and planning a trip in the sun to Bora, Bora.  Sunbat(whowas in the

And with an opening sentence like that, I was in. I cannot deny that the suspense build was good here and certainly had me glued to the pages in front of me. I was desperate to know what it is this passionately in love couple found in the water on their honeymoon in Bora Bora that would set them on this course of destruction. The issue is: the payoff of that aweso
Norma * Traveling Sister
3.5 Stars rounded up because I definitely found this book to be entertaining and had me totally glued to those pages!

SOMETHING IN THE WATER by CATHERINE STEADMAN is an engaging, refreshing, and a steady paced thriller that immediately drew me in with its opening scene and had me totally intrigued in finding out what was in the water.

So here’s the thing about my experience with this book. I have never been so unsure about my feelings about a book after finishing as I was with this one. There we
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 shocking stars to Something in the Water! 🏝 🏝 🏝 🏝

Erin films documentaries, and her new husband, Mark, is an investment banker. They fly to the honeymoon of a lifetime to Bora Bora. Everything is tropical and picture-perfect, until they find something in the water while scuba diving. Dun dun dun.

Erin and Mark have to decide if they will tell the truth or keep a secret. Either way, danger potentially awaits...

This book starts out with a bombshell when Erin and Mark find something in the water
Liz
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
3.5 Stars
This is billed as a thriller. But 1/3 in, I was still waiting. Yes, you know within the first few minutes that Erin is digging a grave. But then we go back and it reads more like chick lit. I found Erin initially very irritating. She had no clue about adjusting to her circumstances. She did grow on me and by the end of the book I liked her and appreciated her initiative.
This is a very slow burn leading up to the big discovery. And even after the discovery, the pace doesn’t really
Malia
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Something in the Water was such a page turner! It started off a little slow, but then something happens and the pace picks up and never slows. I won't give away any plot details, because there are lots of twists and turns, but it was definitely an engaging story with multi-dimensional characters. I zipped through this book over the weekend and absolutely recommend it as a gripping, clever and entertaining summer read!
Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Umut Reviews
Jul 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a thriller about a couple who find themselves in financial distress weeks before their wedding and the decisions they make afterwards will have life-changing consequences.

Erin is a documentary filmmaker and Mark is a banker who loses his job days before the big day. They live in a very nice home and decide to go through with their planned wedding as well as the honeymoon despite the fact that they could make wiser financial decisions under the circumstances.

Once in their dreamy B
JanB
First the positives: The author narrates the audiobook and she does a fabulous job. The story opens with a great line: “Have you ever wondered how long it takes to dig a grave? Wonder no longer. It takes an age. However long you think it takes, double that.”

With that line I was hooked. Until I read/listened to roughly 10 pages of details about the intricacies and details of digging a grave, including the cubic feet of the hole, and how much the soil weighs. Which, in case you are wondering, is
Brandice
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to Something in the Water via audiobook, read by the author, Catherine Steadman, and I really enjoyed it. I’m pretty sure I would have enjoyed the book regardless, but I found her narration and British accent to be soothing. Her characters and setting descriptions were vivid. The “thing” in the water was much different than what I anticipated prior to reading the book, which wasn’t a bad thing at all.

Erin Locke is making a documentary about prisoners and their upcoming releases. Her fianc
Book of Secrets
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars → This anxiety-inducing book was A LOT of fun to read. It's gotten major buzz since it's a Reese's Book Club pick. There were 200 holds for it at my library, but I noticed ONE copy was available on the Limited Loan shelf at the branch across town. Of course, I’m there when they opened that morning to elbow my way to the top. I had to know what’s in the water!!

The opening chapter starts with a bang. You're left wondering, how in the heck did it come to that?? The set-up: A
megs_bookrack
**3.5-stars**

Catherine Steadman's, Something in the Water, provided great summer entertainment!

I was quickly drawn into the story as it starts at a very peculiar place.

This story, in contrast to a lot I seem to be reading lately, is told from a single point of view. This was was refreshing. I really related to the Erin, our protagonist, and felt comfortable just sitting in her voice and hearing this story.

Erin, a documentary filmmaker, is working on a long-
Tammy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a refreshing take on the psychological thriller trope. The beginning is more than just a little intriguing. How long does it actually take to bury a body? From there the build and character development slow down significantly until it picks up about midway. Ethics come into question, criminal behavior is more exhausting than one might imagine and you may not know another as well as you think you do. Satisfying but not necessarily harrowing.
Dem
What an intriguing and clever page turner, just the book to wile away the hours by the pool on my holiday

Something in the water by Catherine Steadman grabbed my attention while I was reading a goodread's friends review and I knew this was going to be on my holiday read list. This is the sort of book where the compulsion to continue reading never wanes.

The Novel opens with a woman digging a grave and her descriptions of same really feed the reader's imagination and you just want to find out th
Carol
3.5 Stars with a roundup to 4.0 because I REALLY could NOT put it down!

"Digging a grave is very hard" as you will discover after reading the first chapter entitled, of course, The Grave.

It all begins with an actual grave being dug, then quickly reverts back in time to the start of a new relationship, marriage and big plans for the future. Then, even though a big disappointment for the newlyweds rears itself, the expensive first class South Pacific honeymoon goes on....and an eerie and intense atmosphere ensueGrave.

down!

Lucy Langford
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****

Have you ever wondered how to dig a grave? Wonder no longer. It takes an age. However long you think it takes, double that.

This book had one of the best openings ever. After that, there is a slow build to the something in the water and the tumultuous set of events that happen after.

Erin, a documentary filmmaker with the chance of a career breakthrough; Mark, a handsome investment banker. The slow build to this book builds on Erin and Mark's picture perfect relationshi/>Have
Carrie
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Something In The Water by Catherine Steadman is a thriller that certainly had an opening that should grab readers right away, the main character digging a grave. After finding out that there would be a need for a grave readers jump back in time to find out just what led to that event.

Erin and Mark seem to be very much in love and excited to be planning their wedding and honeymoon. Erin is a budding filmmaker working on a documentary in which she’s interviewing criminals and Mark a su
 Li'l Owl
HOOK. LINE. SINKER.
A wickedly creative and absolutely terrifying debut! This Adrenaline ride definitely hits all the marks!
Something in the water, indeed!

ERIN
I’m not sure if I dozed off, but when I open my eyes the speedboat motor is changing tone and we’re slowing. I look up at Mark. We’re not back to Bora Bora yet. There’s nothing there, just ocean stretchi
Help! 4 57 Aug 21, 2019 06:04AM
Choices made by the main character the woman. 1 9 Aug 12, 2019 04:27AM
Oregon Public Lib...: Something In The Water [May 2019] 1 14 Apr 06, 2019 08:43AM
Irritated with these characters decisions? 10 225 Mar 14, 2019 05:45AM
Goodreads Librari...: Change of edition from paperback into ebook 2 21 Mar 12, 2019 03:35PM

• Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After
  • The Winter Sister
  • The Huntress
Catherine Steadman is an actress and writer based in North London. She is known for her roles in Downton Abbey and Tutankhamun, starring alongside Sam Neill, as well as shows including Breathless, The Inbetweeners, The Tudors, and Fresh Meat.

In 2017 she will feature in political thriller Fearless and new BBC comedy Bucket. She also has appeared on stage in the West End including Oppenh
“... She told me not to let it make me angry, not to let it break my heart, but to remember that we all lose the things we love the most and how we have to remember that we were lucky to have them at all in the first place.” 16 likes
“It's impossible to know if we were a good thing that broke somehow or a bad thing that eventually became exposed. But either way, if I could just go back now to the way we were, I would. I would, without a moment's hesitation. If I could just lie in his arms one last time, I could live with an illusion the rest of my life. If I could, I would.” 12 likes