Start by marking “Day of Wrath (Taking Shield #5)” as Want to Read:
Day of Wrath (Taking Shield #5)

Day of Wrath

(Taking Shield #5)

In less than a week, Bennet will finally return to the Shield Regiment, leaving behind the Gyrfalcon, his father, his friends… and Flynn. Promotion to Shield Major and being given command of a battle group despite the political fallout from Makepeace the year before is everything he thought he wanted. Everything he’s worked towards for the last three years. Except for leav ...more
Published June 28th 2018 by Anna Butler

To ask other readers questions about Day of Wrath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of Wrath

Start your review of Day of Wrath (Taking Shield #5)
Richard Derus
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
This is it. The last time we'll see Bennet and Flynn in a Taking Shield story.

I pause here for sad and lonely reflection.

The journey of the series has been a good, satisfying one, and I am deeply glad that I followed it. Bennet's growth as a man and an officer has been steady. He's gained enormous insight into his past and uses it, as one should, to guide his steps into the future. He's been separated from his true love by circumstances beyond his control...any military family will recognize thi
Kaje Harper
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That was an amazing gut-punch of a book. It ends this wonderful series in a way that is completely unexpected, and yet completely logical, and that's a real achievement.

For those who have followed and loved Flynn and Bennet through all these stories, they do have an ending together, with hope for forever. Not an HEA, but pretty much where we wanted to see them go in their relationship. But they reach it via trials by fire, and losses. Secondary characters we have been attached to die in th
⚣Michaelle⚣
Holy shit. I did NOT see that coming.

Well, I did part of it; after Makepeace there was speculation that (view spoiler) was aiding the Maess...and I guessed correctly in that respect (although not to the extent it was revealed).

What came after? Wow. Talk about devastating. And unlike some of the other events in the series where I am not ashamed to admit I bawled like a baby, I was too shocked and unable to process a lot of what happened near the end.

I think I men
Alison
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The end of a spectacular series. Wow. This is stunning. I'm sad it's over and definitely have been feeling a little bereft lately at the fact that there will be no more Shield books (the author has said it straight up). Bennet completely captured my heart in the first book and reading his journey over these five books has been absolutely brilliant. This is an epic, powerful, queer military space opera and it's so involving. Note that this book does not stand alone and the series needs to be read ...more
Arshad Ahsanuddin
“I am anti-life, the beast of judgment. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds...of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?”
“I am hope.”
-- Neil Gaiman, Sandman

The author sought my advice some time ago on the structure of the story and how to market it, so I have known since the beginning how the basic outline the story would evolve from Makepeace to Day of Wrath. Even so, that foreknowledge pales before the execution, and I missed nothing by already
Joyfully Jay
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I can’t remember a book where I was so invested and taken on such an emotional roller coaster. Day of Wrath starts of quietly, softly, and with no inkling of what lurks in the pages beyond. Bennett’s year in Fleet is over and, with his promotion to Shield Major, he’ll be taking over command of three ships of his own. His last job on the Gyrfalcon is to assist in the escort of the new President on her tour of the colonies. It means one more month under his father’s c
Lori S.
Despite (in spite of?) the end of this story, this was one heck of a ride. A bit of a bittersweet ending.

[ETA - 01/11/19]: Been thinking about the influences on this series and this book in particular so as my brain pulls this stuff up I need to write it down (view spoiler)
Ay
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent stuff.

Start with the first one.

This book will leave you wanting more stories about what happens next. I hope Butler gives us more.
Tricia
First of all, I'm terribly sad to have the story ended. I waited over a year to read Chains of Their Sins (#4) because the author had posted that there was only one book remaining in the series. I didn't want to read #4 and then have to wait so long for #5. I also waited for a "long" weekend for me to read the two books because I didn't want to put them down.

So, Day of Wrath... I'm speechless. It was the perfect finale for the series; how appropriate that humanity's ending is a repeat of its own
Anne Barwell
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. That was my initial response to this book, and the end of a series I’ve loved. It’s not the ending I expected, although I loved the last scene, and kudos to the author for taking the plot the way it went. I’ve enjoyed every book in this series, and fell in love with the characters as well as the storyline. Definitely one of my favourite reads, and it reminds me of why I enjoy SF as a genre. I already own hardcopies of the first two books in the series, and will need to complete it now. The ...more
Sally
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Coming into a series with the 5th book is always a challenge, especially with high tech space opera, but I still found myself drawn into this almost from the start. So much drama, tension, and mystery, with a covert romance that was actually more intense for being restricted to stolen moments in the shadows.
Daniel Mitton
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Originally reviewed for Love Bytes Reviews.)

Grief. It’s what I’ve been feeling for a couple days…and I’ve tracked it back to finishing this series. I loved the Taking Shield series, and the last installment was no exception. But the ending! OH MY GOD. I was so totally not expecting Ms. Butler to go there! No spoilers on that, but when you read this one, be prepared for a hell of a ride!

So, let’s talk about the book. We’re back with Bennet and Flynn and their continuing dysfunctional relationshi
2shay
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review By 2shay..........

I’m not sure where to start. Until reading the first book in this series, Gryfalcon, I was not a fan of science fiction books. Ms. Anna Butler changed that.

Sheild Captain Bennett captured my imagination, and with the help of brilliant writing drew me into his world ten thousand years in the future. Earth is gone, all that’s left is folklore and myths. The original evacuees from Earth were homeless seekers for three thousand years before finding Albion. Albion is beautifu
Jacque
I am still trying to figure out how I am going to recover from the best Science Fiction series I have read all year. Ms. Butler has created nothing short of an amazing thing here and this book, Day of Wrath, is nothing short of a masterpiece. Consider my mind blown.

I’m not going to rehash what the book is about because, let’s face it, that’s what the blurb is for. What isn’t in the blurb, is something you need to discover for yourself. And what isn’t is frankly epic on so many levels. Exciting?
R
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, reviewed, sci-fi

Shield Major Bennett was preparing to leave Gyrfalcon. Returning to Shield, finally. Leaving his improved relationship with his father behind. He was more than ready to get back to his old life. Leaving Finn behind was harder. Even though they hadn't been together as other than friends for Bennett's on time Gyrfalcon, they still loved each other and it would hurt to say goodbye again.

The president decides she must visit the colonies. He had a theory, all politicians were bad, some were badder. S
Amber
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok I'm in the minority in that this last book didn't blow me away. Yes the ended shocked the hell out of me in the direction it took. Flynn and Bennett got their I won't say happily but they got a way to be together. The end went a lot darker than I thought it would and I respect the author for taking the story in that direction. My biggest problem was the convoluted plot line for the end involving the sketchy politics that I haven't really like through most of the series and Vines/Throm thing. ...more
Marge
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book certainly didn't go the direction I expected. The surprises were stunning. But the relationships between Bennet and his father and between Bennet and Flynn were wonderfully explored. I can't say they were resolved, exactly, but the conclusion was satisfying.

The author has said this is the end of the series, but I hope we see more of Bennet and Flynn in the future with a coda or two, or even a nice long adventure set a few years down the path.
Karen Frederick
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A brilliant series, Anna is a master craftsman. She brings these characters and their stories to life in a way that stays with me long after I have finished the book. Dark and intense. It was tough to read about the Maess' attack. And the fly by on Albion. The psychological impact it had on everyone was raw and jarring. I am sad to see this series ended, but so glad that Bennet finally opens up to love.
Terry Ferko
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt hung out hungry for more

I know it’s just a story but I felt invested in it. My expectation is there has to be more. Feeling like the end of a relationship with no closure.
Lestatt
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Battlestar Galactica
Sally
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this so much!
Stéphanie Amesse
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an ending! That was an excellent series.
Stonemagpie
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, science-fiction
So hard to rate. I enjoyed the other four books and I enjoyed this one, stayed up late to finish it, but I found the ending... disappointing? Unsatisfying? Something.
Marissa
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm giving this one a 3.5 stars, because this book fucking wrecked me.
Kristin
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel cannot be read as a stand-alone. Please start with ‘Gyrfalcon’, the first book in the ‘Taking Shield’ series.

It’s the dawn of a new day for Albion and the outer planets. President Beatrice has Grand Plans to bring the planets back into the fold. For the first time in possibly centuries, she initiates a presidential tour, starting with the planet Thorn. Supreme Commander Jax is stepping down, Commander Caeden is being promoted into his place, and after this escort mission, Bennett will
PaperMoon
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I remain speechless .... I cannot say I was unaware of where the storyline was going throughout the five books in the series so far BUT I was still unprepared for the emotional impact from the "day of reckoning".
Dokaptur
Dec 18, 2018
William
Jun 29, 2018
Renata Kotlarz
Feb 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • Band Sinister
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • The Hatter's Game: Part II (Criminal Intentions: Season One #13)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)

Taking Shield (5 books)
  • Gyrfalcon (Taking Shield, #1)
  • Heart Scarab (Taking Shield #2)
  • Makepeace (Taking Shield #3)
  • The Chains of Their Sins (Taking Shield #4)