Start by marking “Bring Her Back” as Want to Read:
Bring Her Back

Bring Her Back

Frank knows that he's creepy. There's nothing he can do about it. His creepiness--along with the fact that his father once killed eleven people in an office shooting—has kept him from ever having a girlfriend.

When he finally works up the nerve to ask Abigail out on a date, after buying flowers from her every day for the past three months, he's sure she'll say no. Maybe
Published May 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Bring Her Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bring Her Back

Start your review of Bring Her Back
Mort
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
BRING HER BACK
I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m a huge Jeff Strand fan. So I had to ask myself:
Self, do you think you can write an objective review?
The conversation in my head went like this…

Do people know you like horror and humor?
Well, it is on my public info.
Do people know you can be sarcastic and curse sometimes?
Um, do I need to repeat myself here, huh?
Do people know you don’t like happy endings most of the time?
Wait, I don’t know if it is a good idea to share that with people. Won’t
Shaina
Karl
This hardcover is numbered 14 of 72 copies printed and is signed by Jeff Strand.
Janie C.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book for its fast-moving plot and its share of dark humor. However, I found the main character lacking in both personality and sensible choices of action. A brief segue into another part on the story threw me off, and some of the methods of violence were difficult to believe. However, as a quick and fairly gory thriller, Bring Her Back does provide a satisfying diversion.

3.5 whacks with a hacksaw
Kimberly
4.5 stars!

BRING HER BACK, by Jeff Strand, is certainly one of his darker novels. While it still contains his trademarked sarcasm-laced humor, this is definitely not one for those without strong stomachs--and perhaps a questionable sense of humor.

". . . If I'd said 'Maybe for our next date' I'd probably have politely excuse myself and found a good place to commit suicide."

Frank Johnson is a large and apparently unattractive man who never dreams that he'll find a woman willing to be seen in
Bill
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
There is something severely deranged about Jeff Strand. I’m glad he gets his stuff down on paper and out of his head.

And I thought I was a little whacko. Not even close to Strand level though. Makes me feel so much better about myself. I don’t know what it says about me that I enjoy his demented writing so much. Hmmm. Best not think about that too long...

A dark and comedic, bloody-fun romp of love and revenge as only Strand can pen. Full of biting wit and sarcasm with no shortage of wtf gross
Joel Sundquist
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second Jeff Strand book I have read and the second one I have thoroughly enjoyed. He does some great dark humor. And I mean blackest humor. That's what I enjoy about his writing. A good, fun read...and I must be mentally deranged to think the word fun applies. But it does!
Joy M.
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
How far would you go?

Frank admits he doesn't have a lot going for him, except for the shy flower girl down the block. I enjoyed this book and the dark humor although the term, 'Well, that escalated quickly,' can describe the last bit of the book.
Angel Gelique
Frank Johnson, a tall and rather creepy-looking man, has finally met a woman willing to look beyond his physical imperfections and social ineptitude. His life seems to be on the right track, at last, and his future looks promising. But someone from his past is about to place a huge roadblock on his path to happiness.

What an incredibly engrossing book! Strand is an absolute master when it comes to getting his readers completely immersed in his mesmerizing stories. His writing combines a
Cujo
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This author has been appearing on recommendation lists since I joined this site, so I finally decided to give him a look. Now that I have, it's safe to say I need to read everything he has written thus far..

This was really good, and really damn funny in a fucked up way. It kinda/sorta reminded me of "The Crow" If there was a down side, it would be I felt the final confrontation with the main antagonist felt kinda rushed
Melanie
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure how to review this one, it has everything one usually looks for in a horror novel, great writing, fully 'fleshed out' (oh no, did I really use that analogy...?) dysfunctional main characters, villains to despise and put on your best frowny face whenever they appear, a plot that romps along and keeps you reading into the wee small hours, and of course it's Jeff Strand so it's fucking hilarious .

The problem was, I completely adored Strand's main character, and, while I'm no reader
Elke
This was my first real horror novel by Jeff Strand (so far I've only read Kumquat which was great) but the book is written in the same unique voice you will recognize immediately. There is one thing for sure when you read a Jeff Strand book and that is you can't be sure of anything. And so this was not just about reading, but like a guessing game: would I be able to foresee at least one plot twist? Again, I failed miserably, but that is all the fun here: you never know what will happen next, and ...more
Darrell Grizzle
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There comes a point when you’re reading a Jeff Strand horror novel when you ask yourself, Why the hell am I reading this? With BRING HER BACK (possibly the darkest of Jeff Strand’s novels, which is saying a lot), that questioning point came for me around the “60% Read” mark (according to my Kindle app). What’s happening is so dark, so outrageous, you start to wonder why you should care about these characters at all, but you do, because Jeff Strand’s writing style is so conversational, so ...more
William M.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bring Her Back is another Jeff Strand winner. He takes the time to really get into the head of the main character, quirks and all, and by the time things go south, I was prepared for the brutality. Aside from a few over-the-top moments that stretched what I was willing to believe, I had a great time with this story. I enjoyed how few characters there were which allowed Strand to narrow the focus, keeping the reader more invested in what would happen to our main character, Frank. Strand's dry ...more
Deacon D.
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounded up to 3, just because it's Jeff Strand.
Adam Light
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woah. That is one of a handful of Strand's books I have left to read. This one really punched me right in the face. One of my favorites, up there with PRESSURE and must-read stuff. I don't think I could read it again, though.
Karl
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how Jeff Strand can take a beautiful love story and twist it into an amazingly sick tale. A true twist on the classic boy-meets-girl as only the deranged mind of Jeff Strand could create. Highly recommended!
WendyB
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, kindle
Not a fan of gore for gore's sake. This didn't work for me.
Nick Cato
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yet another sick and twisted page turner from the always demented Mr. Strand. Full review 7/2/18 at thehorrorfictionreview.blogspot.com.
Cheryl
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastically dark and amusing story told in the way Jeff does best, with humour and with a certain amount of realism at the absurdity of many things in life and I just love it.

Frank the protagonist is great character, a sad and lonely but kind man with a fair amount of emotional baggage who meets what seems to be the perfect woman for him, unfortunately the timing is just terrible and things go downhill very quickly. This is part love story, part horror, part gruesome thriller. Not the
Steven
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jeff-strand
What a twisted, emotional roller coaster ride this story was. With Strand, I can never guess what direction things are going and who will survive. The way his scenes play out, make me have to reread them and think "WOW that really happened!"
Mylene
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeff-strand
Bring her back indeed!

I love Jeff Strand novels. Let me just start by saying that.

However, I wasn’t crazy about this one. For some reason, I just found Frank and Abilgail’s relationship overly odd (maybe that was the point?) but I mainly felt that they just didn’t have enough of a relationship for me to feel empathy for either character or even relate to their plight.

I did love the section that introduced Wolfe. He was a likeable douchebag. The torture scenes at the end are just nuts... very
Marianne
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little quirky and very well written story with just enough (dark) humour and heart to allow you to get through the insanely gory bits that are very graphic and will truly mess with you a little! I'm usually not too crazy about really gory books but this one got me. I just loved it!
David Blaylock
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great romp through a horrible chapter of a bad life.
Bob
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This interesting suspense/revenge novel is an awesome blend of crime and the macabre. Strand is a master of horror and humor. Very highly recommended.
Ian
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like a really good explicit horror story which is also dripping with lots of blood, guts, amputations, abominations and other general body part atrocities, then this is book is definitely for you. If not, and you start to read this fascinating Love, Revenge and Horror story, all wrapped into one, then just a word of warning to you as the mostly "humorous" (strange - but true) horrific events just seem to increase and intensify as the story enfolds.
The story stars hapless Frank (nicknamed
Laurie Tell
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected

This was my first book by this author, and it won't be my last. It was so twisted, but funny at the same time. Some of the inner dialogue was so funny, I shared it with people, which is unusual for me. I couldn't stop reading, and had to know what happened next. So why wasn't this 5 stars? Because it was just a little too over the top at the end for me.

This reminded me of something by John Locke...just so twisted, but you can't stop reading it..
Luke Kondor
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm on a new-author-discovery marathon and I'm so glad I found Jeff Strand. I feel like I sniffed him out from the dirt and rot like a delightful little truffle and now it tastes so good I can't wait to read more of his work.

This novel is a dark... DARK... comedy. It's funny, sure, in a quirky indie movie sort of way. Especially in the way our main character interacts with Abigail. But then the horror comes in and it's downright sickening.

All in all a lot of fun and definitely worth your time.
Dallas Kitchens
This book makes me feel outstanding, outstanding in a field, all by myself, myself and another Jeff strand homerun. All you want to do is grab one of his amazing books, a couple of pillows, a scented candle, and rose.....hey wait a minute, I just caught one of my personalitys trying to finish my review. I don't want scented candles, I want to drink blood from the skull of my enemy, and hear the lamentation of the women. Bring her back is like drinking blood out of the skull of your enemy. It's ...more
Justine oregon
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jeff strand!

My favorite author! This story did not disappoint. I've read pretty much all of his stuff, random short stories and all. This had a darker vibe to me but a wonderful read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Desperate BookJun...: Bring Her Back Discussion (spoilers) 3 4 Jun 22, 2018 10:30AM

• Escape!
  • Revelations
  • Kill For Satan!
  • Captive Hearts
  • The Island
  • Blood on the Bar (Lucas the Atoner #1)
  • Dark Ride
  • Scavenger Hunt
  • Reckoning (Wildlife #2)
  • Tamer Animals
  • Welcome to the Show
Author of a bunch of demented books, including PRESSURE, DWELLER, A BAD DAY FOR VOODOO, WOLF HUNT, SINGLE WHITE PSYCHOPATH SEEKS SAME, BENJAMIN'S PARASITE, FANGBOY, THE SINISTER MR. CORPSE, and lots of others. Four-time Bram Stoker Award finalist. Four-time Bram Stoker Award loser. Ten-time Bram Stoker Award Master of Ceremonies.