Start by marking “Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them” as Want to Read:

An urgent and inspirational collection of essays by a diverse group of celebrities, activists, and artists about what feminism means to them, with the goal of helping readers come to their own personal understanding of the word.

Feminism has never been more deeply and widely embraced and discussed, but what exactly does the F word mean?

Here, personal stories from actors,
Published October 2nd 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies)

Start your review of Feminists Don't Wear Pink (And Other Lies): Amazing Women on What the F-Word Means to Them
Chloe
"The lies we have been told about feminism have been fed to us to hold us back from a movement that is actually for everyone"

I absolutely loved most of the essays in this! I felt inspired, and loved how intersectional most of the essays were. There were some that were not inclusive of trans and non cisgender people which was disappointing.

Overall I really loved and learnt from a lot of the essays and would definitely recommend it!

tw: rape, transphobia
Lucy Langford
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4****
”At a time when we are too often reminded of what divides us, there is common ground to be found when we share our stories.” - Emma Watson.

This is an inspirational and powerful book in the time of #MeToo and other movements and protests surrounding gender equality. This book comprises a plethora of actors, activists, journalists and others of "celebrity" status on what Feminism means to them.

These essays are incredibly personal and each one unique. Each examines what feminism means to
Jojo
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was truly motivational, and I feel like it has opened my eyes perhaps a little wider, to what feminism means to some rather amazing women. We all have our own definition of feminism, and exactly what it means to us. We all have different ways of acting on it, if one does at all. We all fight the patriarchy in our own individual ways.
This book contains thoughts, essays and poetry from some truly motivational and frankly, fucking amazing women. Many topics are covered here, such as
Magali
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating this book is pretty tough because I realized pretty fast that I had made a mistake : I was not the public targeted for that collection of essays on feminism. The fact that adult women, older than me, were saying it was a brilliant book that everyone should read made me buy it. But it actually feels more like a book for teenagers, for very young women wanting to know more about that new word they just learned : feminism and not a book for a 30+ woman that has been a feminist since she was ...more
Cendaquenta
This book needed half the essays, but at twice the length each. In its current form, it ends up as a collection of punchy but ultimately dissatisfying soundbites.
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
description
Originally posted on A Frolic Through Fiction

*Rated 2.5 stars

Picking up this book, I had high expectations. It became an event, with me buddy reading this with my friend Jess and setting time aside in my hectic uni reading schedule to make sure I read it.

And then…eh. I don’t know what happened. I have many, many thoughts.

So, this book is basically a collection of writings from 50(ish) different well-known women about different topics relating to feminism. One thing I do immediately have to
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Who says feminists can't wear pink?!

What a wonderful way to kick off the new year, with a great book like this!

This book is a collection of personal essays written by a multitude of brave, clever, strong, passionate women. Some of them you might know before you start reading - like Kiera Knightly, Emma Watson and Kat Dennings - others you will want to know after reading their story! Each essay is a personal story of what feminism means to the individual woman.

These stories are wonderful because
abilovegood
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The proof is only around 60 pages so I finished it within an hour BUT in those 60 pages there is so much information on feminism and personal experiences that’s it’s easy to mistake it for a much larger book. I loved being able to see feminism through a variety of perspectives from a wide range of women - I’m currently trying to educate myself more on modern issues including feminism, racial bias etc and this was the perfect first step !
Maritza Dubravac
Seriously, YES to everything in this wonderful feminist collection.
As pointed out in the introduction, Feminists Don't Wear Pink isn't an academic collection of feminist essays, but a collection of essays, thoughts, poetry, etc. on all kinds of topics by all kinds of badass women. It's about intersectionality, it covers the history of the waves of feminism (also pointing out the less beautiful aspects of the history of feminism, such as racism), it talks about periods, and about answering the
Kathryn Speckels (Metaphors and Miscellanea)
Tl;dr - a mixture of cool essays and trite, fluffy pseudo-essays that detracted from the whole.

As many of you know, I've been on a "feminist essay" kick lately, and given that this book had such a wide range of contributors--activists, celebrities, writers, and more--I had high hopes. Those hopes were only partially fulfilled.

The purpose of this book, I think, was to provide a wider-lens picture of feminism, showing women at all different stages of their feminist journeys. There are women who
Maria
I feel like we have all at some point walked away from an important conversation because we felt overwhelmed by our lack of knowledge. “Feminists Don’t Wear Pink” is a safe haven. Honest, hilarious and open, a space for exploration.
Anniek
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
After starting this book, I quickly began to feel like maybe it wasn't exactly meant for me. Which is kind of strange, because I'm a feminist and this is a book about feminism. And moreover, I consider myself an inclusive feminist and this book was definitely aiming for inclusive feminism as well. But it's very much Feminism 101, and even though I fully believe being an inclusive feminist is an ongoing process, this book was a little too basic for me at times.

That's not to say it's not a
Nat
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars (half star cuz I liked one of the pieces)

The standout is undoubtedly "Weaker Sex" by Keira Knightley. 4 stars if that was the only piece in the book.

The book just lacked cohesion. There was an attempt for some structure by the various phases in one's feminist journey: epiphany, anger, joy, action, education and a completely random and unnecessary "poetry break".

Each piece varied so much in length and depth. Was the brief simply to write anything at all related to feminism?

As much as
Kassie
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tell Him was my favorite essay ...more
Rose  Heartfilia
There are many thoughts to be formed and things to be said when you want to open your mouth and just speak. However, sometimes those words don't come and in waves of anger or sadness only tears show up, which is something that can happen too when you laugh, laugh so hard you cry. Perhaps I did not laugh that hard this time around but it is not something to be forgotten. I am going to make the most honest and personal review I have ever done because I feel that is necessary and that it makes me ...more
Tara
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although 'Feminists Don't Wear Pink' is more diverse than most of its kind, the book still falls a little short for me. It's still overwhelmingly heteronormative and focuses largely on cisgender women, but I guess it's more about the curator's connections and who she wanted to contribute. The language irked me at times too and it did genuinely feel like inclusivity was an afterthought stuck on at the end. For example, there is a line in an essay about periods which states in brackets "(though ...more
Lucie
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think that this book is a great introduction to feminism and if you're looking to read more on that topic, it's a good place to start! It is a very intersectional read and included experiences from so many different women and I loved that about it.

I have to say that it did feel a bit repetitive at times, because the writings were organized in different collections, such as 'epiphany', 'anger', 'poetry break' and such (also I'm not a *huge* fan of poetry, but that's another matter altogether).
Ruby Valdes
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure most of you all know my stance on non-fiction books. I'm the type of person who likes to fill my head up with 'happy ever afters.' After realizing that too many romance fiction books is starting to higher my expectations when it comes to dating, I was willing to read any non-romantic book I could get my hands on. I came across this one while in my English class and decided to give it a go. The book was actually really good and informative. I got to understand what feminism means ...more
Elin
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
this felt a bit too basic for me, but i probably wasn't the intended audience either. it would probably work better for someone who is only just learning about feminism, even tho there was a certain amount of oversimplification. but yeah, most essays just fell flat to me. some of them were total misses, where the author seemed to have the complete wrong idea of what feminism is, some of them didn't even seem to be about feminist at all, and some of them were just plain weird. generally i think ...more
Sophia
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The goal of the feminist movement...aims to give each person on this planet the freedom to live their life the way they want to live it, unhindered by sexism or oppression or aggression."

Some of my favourite contributions in this book include:

The Weaker Sex by Keira Knightly (so raw, so beautiful)
10 Ways to Support the Women in Your Life by Olivia Perez

Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elliot A
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I was reading The Art of Fact for my course when this book became available for pick up at my local library. If you haven’t read my review on the former, it might explain a lot as to way I chose to ignore my homework and read this one in less than 24 hours instead.

I was angry at the way racial minorities and women were represented in The Art of Fact and Feminists Don’t Wear Pink turned out to be a very welcomed source of strength.

I read somewhere a while ago that Kiera Knightley and Gemma
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this, everyone. It doesn't matter what sex you identify with, if you're a human bloody read it! I'm going to be recommending this to everyone I come into contact with from now on.

There was so much I recognised from my own experiences in this book but also there was so much to teach me.

I'll add more when I've gathered my thoughts.
Ithil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're starting to get yourself educated into feminism I think this would be a great starter for you. Also, I think I would absolutely recommend it for 12 year old in advance. It has some sexy bit on it, but let's be honest, 12 year olds nowadays are not going to learn anything that the did not know before. And I think it will provide them with quite a lot of knowledge that will come in more than handy for their teens. Unfortunately.

I do have to say introduction or young public, as someone
Soesja Schelling
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I really liked the way this book was set up and I think it’s an admirable project. The introduction was great and so were the short history on feminist theory, the suggestions for further reading and the conclusion and final words. But the meat of the book, the different ‘essays’ that it is made up of, fell a little short for me.

While there were some chapters I really enjoyed (I was really impressed with Keira Knightley’s and will happily devour anything Dolly Alderton writes), many were a
Sam (she_who_reads_)
If you’re looking for a good introduction to feminist literature, then this would be a fantastic place to start. It’s absolutely packed with contributions ranging from essays, to poetry, to recommended reading lists. This is the sort of book I want to have on the shelf for my daughter to discover, and devour, as she grows up. Some of the entries had me so emotional (and some I think kind of missed the mark) but I was just so inspired and so eager to check out some of the contributors other works ...more
Hâf
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I hardly have the words to describe what an incredible book this is. Ever since I saw it on the shelves I've wanted to read it. So many inspiring women contributed towards this book, each of their takes on feminism were thought provoking/ reassuring/hilarious/confidence boosting/empowering. A favourite of mine was Karen Gillan's story, it was very relatable! If you're interested in feminism, consider yourself a feminist or want to educate yourself on feminism, this is the book for you! ...more
Nicole Jimenez
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so inspiring in so many different ways. I feel that this book really opened my eyes to what feminism is to different people, and that it doesn’t have to be the same for everyone. This book is for all girls and women who want to read into what it’s like to believe you have worth in this world, and to read so many different accounts of feminism from other women.
Naomi
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is a bundle of awesome women right here in my pocket, ready for me to pick up any time & get a little boost of feminism.
Amy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A feminists must have read for their bookshelf.

• The Guilty Feminist: From Our Noble Goals to Our Worst Hypocrisies
  • Танець недоумка
  • Jog On: How Running Saved My Life
  • Notes on a Nervous Planet
  • Normal People
  • What Would Cleopatra Do?: Life Lessons from 50 of History's Most Extraordinary Women
  • Франческа. Володарка офіцерського жетона
  • The Burning
  • On the Front Line with the Women Who Fight Back
“Remember that when a women gets the job you wanted or dates that bloke you fancied or wears a dress you loved but couldn't afford, she hasn't taken anything from you. There is time and space for you to do it too. One of the cleverest things the patriarchy did was make us believe that there is only one tiny sliver of success cake available; that we all have to fight over it; that a woman who tramples on her competitors to chow it down first is somehow 'ruthless' or to borrow a phrase from Apprentice-ese, 'a natural business mind.' This is a scare-mongering lie. There are so many cakes to eat. And if you can't find the slice you want, try baking one. Cake for everyone! Let them eat cake! I've got lost in the metaphor.” 6 likes
“She has a voice. If you can't hear it, maybe it's because you're too busy talking.” 6 likes