Start by marking “The Book of Dog” as Want to Read:
The Book of Dog

The Book of Dog

It’s the night of the Yellow Puff-Ball Mushroom Cloud and a mysterious yellow fog is making its way across the world, sowing chaos in its path. Mt. Fuji has erupted. The Euphrates has run dry. In America the White House is under attack by giant bears, the President is missing, and the Vice President has turned into a Bichon Frise. It’s Apocalypse Time, my friends. Soon the ...more
Published September 6th 2018 by Vegetablian Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Dog

Miranda Reads
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description

As for Stella King, she was unexpectedly pregnant with the unborn child of the Beast.

It could have happened to anyone.
Funny, witty, exciting and engaging!

Thoroughly entertaining and thought-provoking throughout - this book had it all. I have a strong feeling that I will be diving back in for a re-read before the year is out.
Here is the story of how six unlikely women changed the fate of the world.
The Yellow Puff-Ball Mushroom Cloud and its corresponding yellow fog is creeping i
karen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
NOW AVAILABLE!!

#vacationreading

"Well that was something," Stella said.

this is a very…contemporary satirical look at the run-up to a possible apocalyptic scenario that begins with the spread of a “Yellow Puff-Ball Mushroom Cloud,” which disrupts the weather before going on to overturn the order of the world, eventually turning people into different animals.

a pregnant teen is about to pop out the spawn of The Beast (and the fetus is very chatty), and a group of “unlikely,” “insignificant” wo
Robin
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ostriches everywhere
Before I delve into my review, I need to make a confession of sorts: I am an ostrich. A wild, Canadian ostrich - when it comes to politics. It's pathetic. I'm NOT proud of it. But there it is. I despise watching the news. I often declare: "I am not a political person." I obstinately nestle my head in the sand. If I don't know about it, it's almost like it's not happening. And because I am Canadian, and an ostrich, I can *almost* believe in this often snowed-in enclave of the world, whatever is h ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
My penultimate read of 2017. This very funny book had me giggling in the corner about apocalypse and dogs. The author was inspired to write it as a response to the presidential election. I found even more funny bits in the attempts to control/understand apocalypse/rapture, the willingness to embrace new identities, and the adaptability of the characters. The ending is particularly rewarding, and I find this so often to not be the case when approaching the end of an apocalypse novel.

ETA: I read
jo
this story goes way back.

there is a person participating in the same goodreads group i participate in, and i like her (i figure it's a she, don't ask me why), and we follow each other through the many alleyways, corridors, and thoroughfares of goodreads. we have a good time.

we respect each other, and often disagree. quite often. she finds faults in books i find faultless. she's a persnickety reader. i am basically hmmm it's awesome what was the problem again?

then i learn she has written a boo
Dan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lark Benobi’s the Book of Dog is a tale of the logical, or at least understandable, consequences of the Age of Trump, with scene after scene ricocheting between uproarious and absurd satire, all with a recognizable core of contemporary American society and politics. The Book of Dog ends on a strangely optimistic note, leaving me feeling that all isn’t necessarily lost in 2017 America.

My limited imagination and equally limited knowledge of contemporary American popular culture leave me feeling a
Ace
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

It's not often that I find myself in the position of reviewing a book that hardly anyone else has read. If you have a sense of adventure and hope, this book is worth a read. Funny, with a very rewarding ending (particularly if you share Lark's views of the current ruler of 'the free world' which I definitely do), this book will take you through an apocalypse like none you've read before.

I know Lark through Goodreads and consider her to be a friend and valuable part of my virtual online b
Marchpane
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Fun and fearless, and somehow both trenchant and sweetly optimistic at the same time. What an unexpected treat. It's a quick read, playful, clever and with a very satisfying ending. Woof Say All!
Nadine
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you think the drawings are cute, odds are you'll like the story. A dystopian satire that marries the horrible and the adorable ;)
Jennifer (aka EM)
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to first say I feel privileged to "know" this author through goodreads, and have very much enjoyed reading lark's take on novels (which frequently differs from mine, but often overlaps too). And it's so delightful to read a novel by someone I kinda sorta know! AND IT'S EVEN BETTER BECAUSE THIS NOVEL IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!

What a romp! What a fantastic, unaffected, but at the same time immensely confident voice: whimsical but also serious (is there a word for this? I keep going to insouc
Carol Peters
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mad unlikely impossible romp while the world as we know it ends. No end of legerdemain. Brilliant riff after brilliant riff. Politicians you'll recognize down the drain. If only what happens in The Book of Dog could really happen!
LindaJ^
Read this while traveling from US to Italy. It was a humorous, sometimes scary, apocalyptic farce with Thurberesque (maybe not a real word but it is the adjective I want) drawings of various scenes in the book. Five plus woman turned to bears, dogs, a panther, a goat, and a majestic & large bird, as well as a pregnant, unwed, teenager, save the world from the seven-headed beast of the Book of Revelations. The beast being the less than beloved US President. Highly recommended.
Leslie Martinez
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good!

I am recommending this book to all I know. Once I started I could not put it down. Absolutely wonderful!
Monica
Book of Dog is an epic road trip for down trodden feminists…or something. Confused?!? Me too! Are dystopian novels about the destruction of society under its own weight of injustice and misogyny and racism supposed to be whimsical, silly and fun? Also clever, and smart and for goodness sakes, kind?? Benobi paints an audacious landscape where those with the least among us end up saving the world from the 7 headed monster who resembles an orange menace but seems to be a representation of the white ...more
Mary
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
Strange, cataclysmic events are occurring. People are transforming into animals and the veneer of civilization has shattered.

At the center of these events is a group of women, some of whom are dogs, panthers, bears, and condors, who gather together in Nethalem, CA to defeat evil and to protect the pregnant protagonist and her ill-fated spawn of Satan.

This charming fable was written by the author, Lark Benobi, to channel her feelings about the current P45*, who may be the Beast of the Apocalypse
Storyheart
Over the past few years, whenever I'm overwhelmed by thoughts of the Anthropocene or by world news--especially news coming from south of Canada's border--I remember with hope two things: a documentary I saw about the flourishing of animals and nature in Chernobyl's human-free Exclusion Zone and the fascinating picture of a post-human world offered by Alan Weisman in his book The World Without Us. So, it was with interest that I came across The Book of Dog, a satire on American politics in which ...more
Matthew
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2018
Very much enjoyed reading this laugh out loud funny and smart feminist fable. Finding some humor in our current political situation was just what I needed as it becomes more obvious every day what the Tweeter in Chief actually is.
Janice (JG)
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quirky, slyly humorous, and stylistically written apocalyptic story reminiscent of Douglas Adams... with wonderful Thurber-esque drawings adding to its charm. And women save the world!
Susan Lee Thuener
A different sort of story.

I think I have never read such a strange book. Females become animals while retaining conscious attributes. It takes a while for all the men to either die or get transported up to whatever awaits.
A great battle ensues sort of following the Book of Revelations. I like the idea of the females winning for a change.
Colored Ink
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this!

I don't like books like this, and I loved this one! Needs a little more editing--there are some typos and errors. But, somehow strong, and hopeful, and triumphant, all the same.
All will be well.
Jeff
A book about the apocalypse written by two dogs?! Yes!

This was a delightful book and I took it all in over the Labor Day weekend. The book is set to be released on September 6th. I was lucky to received an Advance Review Copy.

In The Book of Dog, human life on the planet is impacted by a mysterious yellow cloud that affects individual people in different ways. I don't want to say more than that. In America, the President (the current sitting President!) is hunkered down in his Colorado bunker t
Doug
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even as an avowed cat lover (which species gets a bit of short shrift towards the end of the book!), I couldn't help but be charmed by this sui generis parable. Others have invoked Orwell, Kafka, and Thurber (for the droll drawings) in attempting to find authors with similar themes/styles, all of which are certainly germane - I'd add in Tom Robbins and Jeff VanderMeer - but Ms. Benobi is in a class by herself and believe me, you've never read ANYTHING close to this. In these perilous times, it i ...more
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a delight. From the opening chapter it had a gorgeous whimsical quality. I love that there are a host of fully rounded and believable female characters, and the interactions between the characters are what makes it so warm to read. The illustrations are beautiful and really add to the text. It was almost a five star for me, but as it progressed it became more convoluted plot-wise - whilst I appreciated the references to current politics, I would have preferred if they were introduc ...more
Nichole
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was pleasantly surprised by The Book of Dog. It is a very interesting take on a dystopian future of women taking the shapes of animals and depleting the world of men. It was a funny and enjoyable read that took me by surprise. I did not think I'd like this book as much as I did.
Carolyn Bell
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. So unusual and creative.
Rohan
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange and magical tale of solidarity in the face of the Apocalypse. Read this book, you won't regret it.
TR
Aug 15, 2018 added it
"The Vice President has been turned into a Bichon Frise."
Count me in.
Kirby
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Book of Dog is a brilliant homage to Kurt Vonnegut with both doodles and a post-apocalyptic bend. I think he'd be quite proud to read this little novel. Especially a surprise little doodle towards the end with some political relevance - I personally liked that one best.

I must admit, about halfway through the reading of this novel my apprehension of where things were going to end up almost caused me to proverbially throw my kindle across the room in annoyance. As a nonreligious person, I do n
Kirby
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley

Jessica Bronder
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is a twisted, comedy of errors as he world we know goes to hell. You have five normal women that have been changed into animals yet can retain their human logic. You have a pregnant teenager with the spawn of Satan. Then you have the beast straight from the book of Revelations. Oh, don’t forget that the president has been changed into a Bichon Frise.

This book was laugh out loud funny with its humorous and snarky look at the world. It was the perfect read for me as I needed a laugh. I
« previous 1 3 next »
Apocalypse Whenever: The Book of Dog by Lark Benobi 4 19 Jul 07, 2018 06:57AM
SIA Showcase for ...: Lark Benobi: new novel THE BOOK OF DOG 1 15 Nov 28, 2017 05:34PM
Worried because the United States is led by a small-souled man with reckless megalomania and unbridled power? Read THE BOOK OF DOG BY LARK BENOBI! Here's the link: https://amzn.to/2vcT8G2

Fantasy and Science Fiction writes: "Benobi tackles the current madness of the American political forum and women's rights with a particularly astute eye. There are sections of pure delightful whimsy and lyrical
“It was a town mostly populated with elderly John Wayne fans and their caregivers.” 0 likes