Start by marking “Wildflowers Part I: Allaha of the Mountain (Wildflowers Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wildflowers Part I: Allaha of the Mountain (Wildflowers Saga, #1)

Wildflowers Part I: Allaha of the Mountain (Wildflowers Saga, #1)

Allaha is a knight of the Order of Aisha, Fallen of the Mountain. She – like her fellows – is stoic and reserved, trained to fight against demons and their ilk. When she triggers a vision that kills a renown oracle, she is set on a quest to complete the prophecy.

She becomes the protector of those mentioned in the prophecy.

Tamara is a young woman of the Menori – a migrant p
Published January 24th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Wildflowers Part I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wildflowers Part I

C. S.
DNF at 3%.

The whole conceit and writing style of this one just didn't work for me.

The narrative starts off with a sort of meta-textual prologue - already a hard thing to pull off - where the main character is being interrogated and ostensibly giving her last testament. This failed to hook me, as it was literally all tell and no show. Even when this short section ended and the real story began, the writing just didn't grab me. We were introduced to four or five characters in quick succession and
Daniela W
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-maybe
I loved books like this when I was younger.

And I thought I still do, but... somehow I don't anymore. Which is sad, really. But I will try my best to give a good review anyway.

There are a lot of different characters in this story and I had some trouble because of this. It took way too long for me to be able to know that person a's name is this and their background is that... (that may be a personal problem though!). I would have needed some kind of glossar to be honest.

Anyway, once I did know who
Bea Wright
In general, I very much enjoyed reading this book. The author has created an incredibly interesting world with very likeable characters and (for lack of a better term) creatures. The story and setting played like a Miyazaki movie in my head while I read the book and I really could see this being a fun anime show.

Some of the reasons I did not rate it higher:
-There were quite a few typos/errors.
-I felt like the "romantic" aspects of the book were very out of place and seemed to have been include
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
In many ways, Allaha of the Mountain feels like the end of a series. Or perhaps a penultimate book. So much has gone on before we meet this characters that it’s a difficult novel to get into – not least because, even on kindle, I was aware of how long it was. All of our main characters have suffered tragedies, and travelled a significant way both together and apart before we even meet them. So it’s difficult to shake the idea that we’ve joined them mid-adventure. Given the interesting two-time s ...more
Victoria
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s
I recently read this book, as NetGalley had this book up for review and reading the synopsis, it sounded like a book totally my thing - and in moments this book truly was. The story of Allaha, told in reverse, Wildflowers Part I, certainly is an interesting start to a saga.

I feel this first book focuses on the world building and that's no bad thing. An intricate display of scenes and places weaves through this book brilliantly and really allows you to see the world Allaha is in and it makes for
AJ Deane
An interesting take on the familiar 'quest' Fantasy trope, Thornton's 'Wildflowers, Part 1: Allaha of the Mountain' has some strong characterisation and very capable world-building. There are lots of good ideas here, including fresh takes on the humanised animal races theme, and there is much scope for investing both in the characters and storyline.
There are times when the description of buildings, architecture, clothing, or different races can seem a little forced or even unnecessary; however,
Marie
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, giveaways
I really enjoyed this book. It started off a little confusing feeling more like the second book in the series rather than the first but as you continue reading you get some of the missing story through Allaha's testimony. There are still a few things that I'm confused about (what spell did Hibu do that ended up with Tamara having scars and Karej blind in one eye? Why did he have to do the spell?). There are a few issues with switching from third person to first person especially in the final cha ...more
Stine Hopsdal
*free copy received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

DNF. I just couldn't with the writing style. I'm really sad about that, because the story has everything I usually like. I'll therefore put it in my ''try again at another mindset''-shelf, in hopes of some day wanting to read it.
Kaylee Garcia
Tara Chapin
Nickolas Ferraro
Agnes Marshall
Finally! 1 5 Feb 12, 2017 06:21PM
Aurora likes books – she’s been reading and writing since kindergarten (yes, writing too) and has yet to stop. Everything from cyberpunk to high fantasy is fair game – Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women sits next to Isaac Asimov’s Foundation and Tamora Pierce’s Tortall series on her shelf of favorite books (not physically, she sorts her books by genre first, but you understand the meaning).

The one