Start by marking “The Boy Who Steals Houses” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Steals Houses

The Boy Who Steals Houses

Can two broken boys find their perfect home?

Sam is only fifteen but he and his autistic older brother, Avery, have been abandoned by every relative he's ever known. Now Sam's trying to build a new life for them. He survives by breaking into empty houses when their owners are away, until one day he's caught out when a family returns home. To his amazement this large,
Published April 4th 2019 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Steals Houses, please sign up.
Drakeryn As of today (8/5/19), it's finally available in the USA on Kindle! Not sure why it took so long, but it's here.

…more

Katie (Bookwise) No- there are scenes of graphic violence and it deals with heavier topics better processed if one is older.…moreNo- there are scenes of graphic violence and it deals with heavier topics better processed if one is older. (less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
YA Novels of 2019
861 books — 2,765 voters
Aurora Rising by Amie KaufmanThe Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. DrewsFour Dead Queens by Astrid ScholteThe Keeper by Nikki MoyesWhat I Like About Me by Jenna Guillaume
#LoveOZYA 2019
37 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Boy Who Steals Houses
C.G. Drews
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
hello yes I wrote this small book and it absolutely has stolen (pun! ha!) my heart. I can't wait for you to meet Sam and Avery and the De Lainey family! This is an #ownvoices story for autism and anxiety. And feel free to reach out to me via social media or DMs.
Buy - Book Depository | Amazon US | Amazon UK | Waterstones | Booktopia

content warnings (not necessarily spoilers, but you can choose whether to view them) (view spoiler)
Charlotte May
"I won't have anywhere decent to live. Or sleep. Or eat. I'll...I'll steal. I'll steal houses."

3.5

Ok, so for me this wasn't up there with A Thousand Perfect Notes. Don't get me wrong, this was a good book and the characters were on point.
I just found this one a lot harder to relate to, I guess. I can't honestly put my finger on why this one didn't connect as strongly with me but there we are.... onto the review!

Sammy Lou and his brother Avery have been on the run for some time now. Sammy
Hamad
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“He’s officially taken house burglary to the next level. Forget stealing a bed, a key, a home for the night. He’s stealing families and their Sunday lunches.”

I consider miss Drews a role model for me and I am sure that extends to many other writers/ readers and bloggers. I mean she is one of us and she is a living proof that our dreams are possible when we work hard.

There are some “authors” who got a contract
Krystal
This is a heart-rending novel about family, broken pieces and redemption.

15 year old Sam just wants to take care of his older brother, Avery. Avery is autistic and needs routine, but that's hard to give when the only time Sam feels safe is when he's under a stolen roof.

If you've yet to read the author's debut, A Thousand Perfect Notes, well done you for protecting your heart for so long. If you survived that one, your scarred heart might just be tough enough to get through this one without
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
SO MANY EMOTIONSSSSSSSS

wow what the actual heck, this was so beautiful but I cried literal buckets worth of tears, no joke.

I can barely order my thoughts right now, but here goes my attempt at a review:

Sammy and Avery are such precious disasters, I would literally die for them. These poor lil traumatised cinnamon rolls, I LOVE

The Delainey family is EVERYTHING they are so beautiful and precious. They also have their scars, but all SUCH BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

The big family dynamic was done SO WELL
Mary S. R.

Now Sam's trying to build a new life for them. He survives by breaking into empty houses when their owners are away, until one day he's caught out when a family returns home. To his amazement this large, chaotic family takes him under their wing—each teenager assuming Sam is a friend of another sibling. Sam finds himself inextricably caught up in their life, and falling for
Iris
***April 14, 2019***

I'M SORRY WHAT? HOW COULD IT JUST END LIKE THAT?? I HAVE FEELINGS. SO MANY FEELINGS. WHAT DID I DO TOO DESERVE THIS PAIN??? AJGHGFHGGHF THIS BOOK WAS SOOOO GOOD! AND PAINFUL. WAY TOO PAINFUL.

RTC.

***January 25, 2019***

This cover is SO PRETTY. I AM IN LOVE. PREEEEEETTTTTYYYY. I NEED. Also this book is coming so soon ahhhhhhh!

***June 15, 2018***

I made the mistake of reading the sneak peak in the end of ATPN... WHY?!?!?! IT SOUNDS SO GOOD!!!! Honestly, ATPN was amazing, and
R.F. Gammon
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliance, sheer brilliance.

Sammy Lou captured my heart. He's so precious and so desperate. Poor little baby. He deserved far better than he got--he deserved a home and a family and parents who loved him and all Moxie's love and aghhhhh my child. <3 I also appreciated the way the autism rep was done--I know Cait is autistic herself and I thought it was wonderfully done in Avery. The fact that he has such real struggles and difficulties but is still such a loving, passionate individual...I
Katie  Hanna
Jan 25, 2019 is currently reading it
IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER

IT HAS A COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elizabeth Sagan
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon, but for the moment just know it was good and I loved it and just read it! :))
Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon
Note: I've decided to lower my rating to four stars and slightly edited the review for purely personal reasons; I like to save five star ratings for books that deeply affect me. I still highly recommend this though and think it's a great book.

Review
This is just my kind of contemporary.

Trigger warnings: homelessness, violence, ableism, child abuse.

If you're looking for something fluffy and easy to read, this ain't that. I'd actually strongly caution against you reading this if any of the
Rain
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and the publisher for providing me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

TW: domestic abuse, violence

CAIT HAS DONE IT AGAIN. How can she write the most beautifully heartbreaking books??? My heart is is too soft for this. A Thousand Perfect Notes was one of my favorite reads of last year and now I've just added The Boy Who Steals Houses to my 2019 Favorites list. I hardly read books outside the fantasy genre but I can't help reading Cait's YA Contemporary
Kaya
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Remember how I said that I looooved A Thousand Perfect Notes? Well, somehow Cait improved upon every aspect of her first novel. I don’t know how that’s possible either.

I do want to state trigger warnings for abuse, violence, and possible anxiety triggers. Also, Avery is autistic and goes through a lot, so if that’s triggering to you please be careful!!

Some of the things I enjoyed:

WAFFLES. Truly, my most favorite thing about this book. The author always has the best food in her books and the
Fuzaila
Be prepared for broken boys, the best angsty siblings, rainbow skirts and waffles and lots of fistfighting laced with heartbreak is all I'm saying.
Kendra Ardnek
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book can be summed up in four words:

Breaking a tragic cycle.

It's about a boy who had to fight life from childhood - abandoned by his mother, his father dumped him and his autistic older brother on an aunt who wasn't prepared or willing to deal with a special-needs child. They grew up and Sam grew violent trying to fend off the bullies, who also failed to understand Avery.

And now he's trapped. His violence has landed him on the streets and he still has to look out for his older brother.

Emily Mead
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO REVIEWING THIS. I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT SINCE I FINISHED READING IT A WEEK AGO.

I first read this book as an early draft, and BOY has it come in leaps and bounds. In every page you can feel Sam's yearning for a family and a home, and his fierce love for his older brother Avery. I love the chaotic De Laineys and Moxie and all the glitter.

It will probably make you cry.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
cait pretty much wrecked us with a thousand perfect notes, we're all gonna wanna read this
Bee
Novel Ink ~ Quite The Novel Idea

MINI-REVIEW

The first time I read this book, it was just the third draft and I was merely a beta reader. But even then I loved it to pieces. Sam, Avery, Moxie, Jeremy, Jack, Mr De Lainey,... every single character had my heart. And I'm absolutely thrilled I can tell you that I still love it to pieces.

Cait has written yet another beautiful story with amazing characters that just feel real and all I want right now is go to the De Laineys on a Sunday and have the De
Janani(ஜனனி)
hubs and i had a discussion and came to a mutual agreement: sammy lou will be our son.

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD. HOLY. CUPCAKE. This was so fucking good. I can't tell you all how much i love this book. This. Goddamn. Book. It ruined me. It healed me. It teared me apart. It pieced me together.

If i had saved my tears, i would've saved an entire kingdom from drought. The book has become so precious to me. I want to hug Sam and tell him that he has home.
Bea Williams
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I recieved a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own*

Sam is a thief. But a rather strange sort of one. What he does, you see, is steal houses. Going from place to place, breaking in and spending nights – for one reason and one alone. You see, all Sam wants... is to find home.

But every few nights, the real owners of his stolen home will return – and he is forced to leave again, never settling, constantly searching for his own
Finn Longman
YESSSSSSSS

I started this just before midnight and was done shortly after 1am and immediately went online to yell at Cait because you can't just ?? end it there ?? where is the rest?????

Anyway review to come, or you could read me rambling about it on Twitter, idk
Maraia
This book has a special place in my heart, and each time I read it, my love only grows. As with any book Drews writes, it’s not light or fluffy. It will rip out your heart and stomp on it – but it will be worth it. In The Boy Who Steals Houses, you can expect precious characters in desperate need of a hug, great family dynamics, and lots of food. It also has #ownvoices representation for autism and anxiety. I love the characters to pieces, and I just want them to be safe and happy and to realize ...more
R.M. Archer
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
THERE'S A COVER! :D :D :D
 Amelia
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Guys, I'm so sad to have to say this...but I'm slightly disappointed :/ Look, I'm a huge fan of C.G.Drews (Paper Fury). I've been following her blog since the beginning of time and I love her style, her jokes, her attitude and everything. And I absolutely LOVED her debut - A Thousand Perfect Notes. But this one...it was just missing something, you know?

It had an insane amount of food and family vibes and sibling banter and all the cute stuff my cold heart needs from time to time, but that's
rachel ☾

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
The Nerd Daily
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tracy Truffles

It is honestly not even surprising that Cait’s writing has, again, made me sob. This book was just jam-packed full of emotions and heartfelt-ness that it’s hard to comprehend it properly.

In The Boy Who Steals Houses, we meet the most adorable and love-deserving boy that is Sam. A boy who fiercely loves his brother Avery and just wants to have a home. His character is just so well written with very dark and sensitive flashbacks
Kael
Cait has done it again! After being blown away by her debut, A Thousand Perfect Notes, I knew that her sophomore son would be nothing short of incredible.

Our story follows Sammy Lou (the smolest 15-year-old boy to ever live) on his mission to find a home for himself and his autistic older brother, Avery. The Lou brothers, having been abused and cast aside by those who're meant to take care of them, resort to theft and "stealing houses" in the hopes of one day having a home all their own. This
Nicole Hewitt
This book is pure perfection, crafted with Cait’s special brand of lyrical writing, witty banter and heartwrenching circumstances.

Sam’s reality is painful–he’s trying to care for an older brother since all of the adults in his life have failed him. All he wants in life is a home, a place to belong, but for him, that feels like a distant dream. Plus, he’s living with the repercussions of a cycle of abuse passed down from his father (not to mention the neglect and emotional abuse inflicted by his
Tara ☽
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover just reached out and lovingly patted my hair and told me everything was going to be okay
Jane
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
REREAD: Just as sweet and feelsy and heart-capturing as the first time I read it!

FIRST TIME:
To make an intentional, but fitting, pun: This book has stolen my heart.

Even before I'd read more than the first chapter, I was so connected with this book. Every single moment of the story is so real. I mean, on one level, yes--I relate to big families, and that was great. But on a whole deeper level, it's so raw and real and every character is full of life and it's just amazing.

Speaking of the

• Promise Me Happy
  • All That Impossible Space
  • What I Like About Me
  • The Quiet at the End of the World
  • Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Shauna's Great Expectations
  • I Am Change
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories
  • The Sharp Edge of a Snowflake
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Heartstream
C.G. Drews lives in Australia with her piano and the goal of reading every book in existence. Consequently, her brain has overflowed with words and she spends her days writing novels to make you laugh or cry (or both). She never sleeps and believes in cake for breakfast.

She blogs at paperfury.com.
“He's officially taken house burglary to the next level. Forget stealing a bed, a key, a home for the night. He's stealing families and their Sunday lunches.” 4 likes
“We're stealing a house, because you know what we need?"
Avery shakes his head.
"We are the kings of nowhere," Sammy says. "We only need us."
He's a very good liar.”