Start by marking “The Boy Who Steals Houses” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Steals Houses

The Boy Who Steals Houses

Can two broken boys find their perfect home?

Sam is only fifteen but he and his autistic older brother, Avery, have been abandoned by every relative he's ever known. Now Sam's trying to build a new life for them. He survives by breaking into empty houses when their owners are away, until one day he's caught out when a family returns home. To his amazement this large, chaoti
Published April 4th 2019 by Orchard Books

C.G. Drews
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
hello yes I wrote this small book and it absolutely has stolen (pun! ha!) my heart. I can't wait for you to meet Sam and Avery and the De Lainey family! This is an #ownvoices story for autism and anxiety. And feel free to reach out to me via social media or DMs.
Buy - Book Depository | Amazon US | Amazon UK | Waterstones | Booktopia

content warnings (not necessarily spoilers, but you can choose whether to view them) (view spoiler)
Charlotte May
Apr 11, 2019 marked it as library-loans
I loved A Thousand Perfect Notes so I can't wait to see what Cait's next book brings :)

Library copy available for pick up
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
SO MANY EMOTIONSSSSSSSS

wow what the actual heck, this was so beautiful but I cried literal buckets worth of tears, no joke.

I can barely order my thoughts right now, but here goes my attempt at a review:

🗝 Sammy and Avery are such precious disasters, I would literally die for them. These poor lil traumatised cinnamon rolls, I LOVE 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭❤

🗝 The Delainey family is EVERYTHING they are so beautiful and precious. They also have their scars, but all SUCH BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE 😭😍💖

🗝 The big family dynamic was
Mary S. R.
Jan 25, 2019 marked it as to-read

Now Sam's trying to build a new life for them. He survives by breaking into empty houses when their owners are away, until one day he's caught out when a family returns home. To his amazement this large, chaotic family takes him under their wing—each teenager assuming Sam is a friend of another sibling. Sam finds himself inextricably caught up in their life, and falling for th
Iris
***April 14, 2019***

I'M SORRY WHAT? HOW COULD IT JUST END LIKE THAT?? I HAVE FEELINGS. SO MANY FEELINGS. WHAT DID I DO TOO DESERVE THIS PAIN??? AJGHGFHGGHF THIS BOOK WAS SOOOO GOOD! AND PAINFUL. WAY TOO PAINFUL.

RTC.

***January 25, 2019***

This cover is SO PRETTY. I AM IN LOVE. PREEEEEETTTTTYYYY. I NEED. Also this book is coming so soon ahhhhhhh!

***June 15, 2018***

I made the mistake of reading the sneak peak in the end of ATPN... WHY?!?!?! IT SOUNDS SO GOOD!!!! Honestly, ATPN was amazing, and t
Hamad
The colors of the cover are my favorite <3 <3
C.G. Blesses us with another Standalone and it is 300 pages!
Could it get any better? Does not think so...
C.G. Is a superhero!!!
Katie  Hanna
IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER IT HAS A COVER

IT HAS A COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rain
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and the publisher for providing me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

TW: domestic abuse, violence

CAIT HAS DONE IT AGAIN. How can she write the most beautifully heartbreaking books??? My heart is is too soft for this. A Thousand Perfect Notes was one of my favorite reads of last year and now I've just added The Boy Who Steals Houses to my 2019 Favorites list. I hardly read books outside the fantasy genre but I can't help reading Cait's YA Contemporary boo
R.F. Gammon
Jan 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Yeah, this is going to be AMAZING.
Kendra Ardnek
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book can be summed up in four words:

Breaking a tragic cycle.

It's about a boy who had to fight life from childhood - abandoned by his mother, his father dumped him and his autistic older brother on an aunt who wasn't prepared or willing to deal with a special-needs child. They grew up and Sam grew violent trying to fend off the bullies, who also failed to understand Avery.

And now he's trapped. His violence has landed him on the streets and he still has to look out for his older brother.

An
Emily Mead
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY GETTING AROUND TO REVIEWING THIS. I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT IT SINCE I FINISHED READING IT A WEEK AGO.

I first read this book as an early draft, and BOY has it come in leaps and bounds. In every page you can feel Sam's yearning for a family and a home, and his fierce love for his older brother Avery. I love the chaotic De Laineys and Moxie and all the glitter.

It will probably make you cry.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Aug 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
cait pretty much wrecked us with a thousand perfect notes, we're all gonna wanna read this
Bee
Novel Ink ~ Quite The Novel Idea

MINI-REVIEW

The first time I read this book, it was just the third draft and I was merely a beta reader. But even then I loved it to pieces. Sam, Avery, Moxie, Jeremy, Jack, Mr De Lainey,... every single character had my heart. And I'm absolutely thrilled I can tell you that I still love it to pieces.

Cait has written yet another beautiful story with amazing characters that just feel real and all I want right now is go to the De Laineys on a Sunday and have the De
Bea Williams
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*I recieved a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own*

Sam is a thief. But a rather strange sort of one. What he does, you see, is steal houses. Going from place to place, breaking in and spending nights – for one reason and one alone. You see, all Sam wants... is to find home.

But every few nights, the real owners of his stolen home will return – and he is forced to leave again, never settling, constantly searching for his own bubbl
Finn Longman
YESSSSSSSS

I started this just before midnight and was done shortly after 1am and immediately went online to yell at Cait because you can't just ?? end it there ?? where is the rest?????

Anyway review to come, or you could read me rambling about it on Twitter, idk
R.M. Archer
Jan 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
THERE'S A COVER! :D :D :D
Kael
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cait has done it again! After being blown away by her debut, A Thousand Perfect Notes, I knew that her sophomore son would be nothing short of incredible.

Our story follows Sammy Lou (the smolest 15-year-old boy to ever live) on his mission to find a home for himself and his autistic older brother, Avery. The Lou brothers, having been abused and cast aside by those who're meant to take care of them, resort to theft and "stealing houses" in the hopes of one day having a home all their own. This pr
Tara ☽
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
This cover just reached out and lovingly patted my hair and told me everything was going to be okay
Lauren
TW: child abuse

Honestly C.G. Drews has such a fantastic way with words! She pours her heart and soul into her work and on every page it clearly shows! I was making a note of all of the beautiful descriptions throughout and I can tell you now, there are A LOT! I will insert a few of my favourites soon...

This book is a powerful read; it is brutal, raw and presents society with some very ugly and uncomfortable truths - namely how adults fail children, how these children are abused time and time aga
lucie
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, in-english
Beautifully sad but not as strong as A Thousand Perfect Notes.
Lizz
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs
The Boy Who Steals Houses is about Sam and his older brother Avery, who is autistic. Sam and Avery were firstly abandoned by their mother, and were left with their abusive father. Once their father had had enough of them he took Sam and Avery to their Aunt’s place, but she didn’t want them either.

“ Sam spends his life hitting the world and smoothing over the rusty corners so Avery won’t fall and hurt himself.”

We switch between the past and the present, learning about Sam and Avery’s upbringing a
Kelsea
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favorites, reviewed
I keep trying to write a review that does this book justice, and I keep failing, because I find it so hard to review books I love. But I’m going to try again and just do my best!

Because this book is worth reading. And I *need* you all to read it too so you can discuss and fangirl ad FEEL TRAUMATIZED with me!

Let’s talk about:

THE CHARACTERS!
There are a LOT of characters in TBWSH. And they’re wonderfully distinct! Each character feels like a real person, with hopes and dreams and goals and a full-b
Riddhi (desiderium.)
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay. Wait up.
Another book by Cait? Is this even real?
I know my heart will be ripped into itty-bitty shreds and I am ready.

Jane Maree
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To make an intentional, but fitting, pun: This book has stolen my heart.

Even before I'd read more than the first chapter, I was so connected with this book. Every single moment of the story is so real. I mean, on one level, yes--I relate to big families, and that was great. But on a whole deeper level, it's so raw and real and every character is full of life and it's just amazing.

Speaking of the characters: I loved them! Sam was so easy to connect with and his struggles drew me into the story re
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved, netgalley
I was super lucky with this title, Firstly I received an e-copy from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review, secondly, I received a finished copy from Hachette, I am so incredibly greatful for the chance to read this book before publication, to be able to create some conversation about it because this book blew my mind, and it will blow yours too.

As always this book is amazingly written, it will pull strings you didn’t even know you had. It is moving and emotionally charged and if you don’t
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Okay, so for those who want the news here and now and won't care to read the whole post – The Boy Who Steals Houses was awesome! You ABSOLUTELY need to buy it now! I loved A Thousand Perfect Notes, so I was a little worried to read the book that came after it. What if I didn't like it as much? What if its not for me?

Fortunately, I never needed to worry. It's not just as good – it's BETTER. It's so adorable, moving and full of feelings, with so many squishy soft and lovely characters that y
Cindy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

A book that is equal parts heart breaking and heart warming. The Boy Who Steals Houses will make you feel so much.

This book is another one that will break your heart and put it back together in the end. The ending is real and bittersweet and the story oh the story.

So this book switches between the current story and flashbacks to the past. The current story follows Sam who steals houses to live in because he and his brother have nowhere to go. (it's actually a gender bent goldilocks retel
trufflebooks
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, march-read
Amazing! RTC <3
ThatBookGal
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My heart hurts. This was beautiful. So many feelings, so many wonderful characters, so many broken souls.

The Boy Who Steals Houses tells the story of Sam and his older brother Avery. Their story is just heartbreaking, and they still have wonderful, kind spirits. I wanted to wrap them both up and rescue them, from pretty much the first chapter. I had absolutely no idea what direction the book was going to go in until about 3/4 of the way through, and for me that was the pure beauty of it.

I don't
Nicole Hewitt
This book is pure perfection, crafted with Cait’s special brand of lyrical writing, witty banter and heartwrenching circumstances.

Sam’s reality is painful–he’s trying to care for an older brother since all of the adults in his life have failed him. All he wants in life is a home, a place to belong, but for him, that feels like a distant dream. Plus, he’s living with the repercussions of a cycle of abuse passed down from his father (not to mention the neglect and emotional abuse inflicted by his
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Gallant
  • The Other Side of the Sky (Untitled #1)
  • Happily and Madly
  • The Mermaid, the Witch and the Sea
  • Something Like Gravity
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Screen Queens
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Deathless
  • The Hand, the Eye and the Heart
C.G. Drews lives in Australia with her piano and the goal of reading every book in existence. Consequently, her brain has overflowed with words and she spends her days writing novels to make you laugh or cry (or both). She never sleeps and believes in cake for breakfast.

She blogs at paperfury.com.
“He's officially taken house burglary to the next level. Forget stealing a bed, a key, a home for the night. He's stealing families and their Sunday lunches.” 1 likes
“He's not exactly a stranger anymore. He showed Jack how to do a backflip. Someone tipped sand down his shirt. He gave Moxie a leg up over the chain fence on the way home. He's eaten their potato salad and worn their clothes.
The trouble is he stole it all, every moment. And that's the part people don't overlook. They feel betrayed. Betrayed people have the hardest fists.”
0 likes