Start by marking “How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice From White People” as Want to Read:

How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice From White People

A cutting satire of race relations in the age of Trump and Black Lives Matter from the hugely popular comedian—one of "The Original Kings of Comedy"—and author of the New York Times bestseller Black Man, White House.

"White people are always giving out ‘helpful’ advice, such as: ‘Comply with the police and you won’t get shot.’ They’ve been doling out advice to black people
Published June 26th 2018 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Get Shot, please sign up.
Doug Moe Hi Joni - Goodreads is a book review site so you've asked this question in the wrong place! If you won the book through a giveaway, I'd look around on…moreHi Joni - Goodreads is a book review site so you've asked this question in the wrong place! If you won the book through a giveaway, I'd look around on the forums or in your notification about how to check on that. I'm the co-author, so I didn't send out books personally. Hope you get it soon and that you enjoy it.(less)

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

An image of the cover of How Not To Get Shot should be listed under the definition of the word tragicomedy, because this is about the best example I can think of. Hughley is obviously a believer in the “gotta laugh so you don’t cry” mindset as he covers some of the most depressing subjects via laugh-out-loud satire. From police shootings to poverty to protests to current and former administrations – Hughley is not afraid to tackle any
Erikka
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, humor, non-fiction
This book was the most magnificent piece of satire I've seen in a long time. I feel like Hughley hit the nail on the head with every single joke, calling white people out and holding them (us) accountable for the crap we constantly pull in this country. He doesn't mince words, he doesn't tread lightly, and he doesn't go easy on us. That dedication and honesty goes a long way, though. I think if more white people read and truly heard the concerns of Black Americans, we would be so much better off ...more
Shelli
I can tell just by the people who gave this one star (not that they actually read it or anything) that this book is going to be outstanding!

And on the off chance that someone else wants to go down the ill-considered path attempted below by the very first contributor to the comment thread, I'm just going to leave these right here:

A black security guard caught a shooting suspect — only to be shot by police minutes later (by P.R. Lockhart in Vox, Nov 15, 2018)

‘They shot the wrong man!’: Police
Reading in Black & White
This is how you perfectly tell the truth with satire and sarcasm. Bravo!
KC
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely humorous, tragically ironic and realistically jarring "advice" from comedian D.L. Hughley. I laughed out loud, found myself quoting excerpts from the text and now I have a new recommendation for colleagues and patrons.
Nefertari
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a word for writing that is simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking? If so, file this book under it.
Fred Kohn
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The good news is that D. L. Hughley is a better writer than a dancer. The bad news is . . . well, the bad new is that this a book that needs to be written. I do believe that as a white person, I learned some good lessons from this book. I'm aware of white privilege, of course, but this book made me realize that as a white person I tend to swim in white privilege without even realizing it.
Susan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think racism is in our past
Would be hilarious if it weren't so heartbreaking, but the laughs come through all the same. Definitely worth reading. The author points out the many differences in the way police treat white and black people and cites statistics to prove his case. It is just appalling that this is the world we live in.
Anna
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A weapon is in the eye of the beholder".

This book is smart dark humour at its best. I laughed through the whole thing - and also had tears in my eyes more often than not because it's also bloody grim and depressing.

I get why a lot of people might not find it funny and experience discomfort. But for me laughter has always been therapeutic and I understand the need to joke at things that scare us. Especially if all those white people are literally begging to be made fun of for the dumb sh*t they
Kirsten
Painfully funny. You know how much you love it when John Oliver does those 20 minute segments on social issues that are both funny and enlightening? This book is like that, except if you’re reading it as a white person, you’re going to finish it feeling a bit less self-congratulatory.
Clarissa
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, this is the best piece of satire I’ve read in a while. It manages to be painfully hilarious and heartbreakingly brutal. DL’s sarcasm and over the top humor hit the mark with each and every point he made. It’s a great way to tackle a subject that is hard for so many people to talk about but badly needs to be discussed. The jokes keeps you reading but does not hide the frustrating and enraging truth of the society we live in.
Michele
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
It might be funny if it wasn’t so true
Jessica
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This book needs to be read by all, but especially, those folks that agreed with some of the statements that have been made by the people in this book about how not to get shot. For example, "...comply and complain later"; "...just do what I say"; or "if you dress like a thug, people will treat you like a thug", and several other thoughts by whites about blacks. It was all pretty obvious to me. Not all black people are like this and even those that are do they deserve to be killed. Just like not ...more
Devika
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If you're like me, reading news about police brutality in America but feel a bit lost in terms of overall perspective on the situation, then you MUST pick up this book!

My only qualm was the slight inconsistency in structure - at one point Hughley's writing randomly jumps from being a satire to a direct chat with white people, and then back to satire. He should've put that in the last bit where he anyway intentionally added a chapter for white readers.

Hughley has done an excellent job tying it a
Lawrence
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick easy read. Very lighthearted but a lot of simple truth to it. It’s a book meant to expose some of our idiosyncrasies regarding race that we have as a society in humor. In particular you will hear a lot of unconventional methods to managing racial issues in America. They are inconceivable but truthfully it’s the only way to avoid some of the racist issues and hatred that we have in this country. Summary... if you don’t want to be shot by police, don’t be black.
Judith
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have heard people say, "well, if he had just followed the cop's orders, he would never have been shot". And I do know this is the most ridiculous, useless, and untrue advice. What I was expecting from this book was a humorous satire on this advice, since it is written by a black comedian. I think I was expecting too much. It's difficult to see how anyone can make this atrociously racist crisis funny. It's a situation which is sad, frustrating, and infuriating.

While I can't blame the author fo
Ari Esters
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
D.L. Hughley’s book is incredibly funny. There are a couple of historical references he makes which turned out to be slightly off upon my fact-checking. However, these instances are few and far between and do not detract from the main assertions. During my read, I often found myself wanting to laugh and cry at the same time, tickled by the prime comedy of this book while being reminded of the harsh reality of a Black person in America. Overall, this is a very good read.
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program.

What a fabulous book!!! I realize that this was written with a satirical tone, but it speaks a great deal of truth that many of us need to hear. I found myself reading much of it aloud to my husband, with us having deep discussion on the various topics. An unexpected treat was the historical references. Loved the sections that dealt with Kaepernick and kneeling in the NFL.

I highly recommend this book!
Sergio Serna II
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed D.L.'s take on a controversial subject. Though a relatively short book its got a lot of delicious meat inside of it. I recommend this book not just to black people but latino people as well since in this current political environment its as important to us latinos as it is to African Americans.
Tanya
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Enough

I enjoyed the read definitely funny moments but not sure I would recommend. I did get a few good history lessons
Kelly Sedinger
Someone had to write this book. It's funny and saddening and angering and depressing, all at once.

Hughley wrote a really good book here. I wish he hadn't had to.
Angela
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"How Not to Get Shot" is on one hand a quick, entertaining humor book, and on the other hand a deeply disturbing overview of the state of racial injustice in the US. Somehow, Hughley makes it work, although for most people who've been paying any amount of attention to the news this isn't really going to be new information or insights. I laughed until I screamed with frustation at the world.
Ka’leneReads
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibles
This is a GreatRead! Truth at it's finest and I do recommend.
Isela Redman
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Not really satirical. This book is understandably depressing. I'm not sure that white people will even get it, because usually their experiences with cops are on a different wavelength.
Mary Sisney
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D.L.'s book is not only amusing but also informative. I did not know the lyrics for the third verse of "The Star Spangled Banner" and hadn't thought enough about the irony of a song about the land of the free being written in 1812 when my people weren't free. I also didn't know that the music played by ice cream trucks had lyrics that were racist. Apparently, there is some dispute about the origins of "picnic," but D.L.'s theory that it originally related to lynchings was interesting. I basicall ...more
Camille McCarthy
This book was written in a simple way, with humor, but it will still knock you out cold with its hard-hitting truths. D.L. Hughley does not hold back, and this is a necessary and very accessible message about race in this country. Not only does he talk about police brutality and the disproportionate killing of Black people by the police, he also gets into corporate welfare, NFL politics, teaching children about Christopher Columbus, and "playing the race card." It was refreshing to read, in the ...more
Rana
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
D.L. Hughley takes a satirical look at race relations in light of the overwhelming number of black individuals being killed by cops in recent years. If you notice the subtitle on the cover in red, it says "And Other Advice From White People," which gives you a hint at the content. After each of these shootings, the media is chock full of people, mainly white, saying what the deceased could have done differently to not be shot. Hughley highlights some of the most common and ridiculous advice, inc ...more
Shannon

I Picked Up This Book Because: Curiosity

The Book:

I’ve had a very difficult time writing this review. All I can think clearly is that this book made me feel. Injustice, sadness, anger, amusement, righteousness, indignant, low self esteem. I wish this was a book that didn’t need to be written. That we could just flip a switch and people would see that we are all made of the same things. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in.

S
Lynnie
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I was almost embarrassed reading How Not To Get Shot: And Other Advice from White People- not embarrassed by the book, but simply due the fact that it was necessary to write it. Geez this stuff should not still be going on & the fact that Hughley can look at it through a lens of humor just shows how much better of a human he is than I am. Overall, this book gives new meaning to the phrase, "it's funny because it's true" but it is heartbreaking in its humor.

Honestly, the people who need to r
Uyangategsh Altansukh
Sometimes books you find randomly end up being one of the best books you end up reading. In my case, How to not get shot was exactly that little jewel hiding behind some of the most highly favourable satire comedy books. I did listen to the audiobook, which definitely would be the better choice, if you do have one. D.L. Hughley does a great job narrating the "comedy book" he likes to say in a way that captivates and interests the reader. As much as this book was mainly written for black people l ...more
POBL Nonfiction B...: October Book Discussion - How Not to Get Shot 1 1 Jan 07, 2019 08:39AM
  • Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope
  • Very British Problems Abroad
  • How I Shed My Skin: Unlearning the Racist Lessons of a Southern Childhood
  • White Trash: Race and Class in America
  • Scared to Death (Jessie Flynn, #2)
  • Man Down: Proof Beyond a Reasonable Doubt That Women Are Better Cops, Drivers, Gamblers, Spies, World Leaders, Beer Tasters, Hedge Fund Managers, and Just About Everything Else
  • Buried in the Bitter Waters: The Hidden History of Racial Cleansing in America
  • Dance of the Reptiles: Selected Columns
  • Understanding Japan: A Cultural History
  • Joséphine Baker
  • Grimly Jane
  • Debating Race: with Michael Eric Dyson
  • The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet Cookbook: More than 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight and Stay Healthy for Life
  • Feminasty: The Complicated Woman's Guide to Surviving the Patriarchy Without Drinking Herself to Death
Darryl Lynn "D.L." Hughley is an American actor, political commentator and stand-up comedian. He is perhaps best known as the star of the ABC/UPN sitcom The Hughleys, and as one of the four comedians featured in the Spike Lee film The Original Kings of Comedy. Additionally, he has been the host of CNN's D.L. Hughley Breaks the News, a correspondent for The Jay Leno Show on NBC, and a local radio p ...more
“The thing is that most of the people arrested in this country are white. Most of the people who shoot cops aren’t black. So what is it that makes cops think and act extra aggressively toward black people?” 3 likes
“Trump wonders why we can’t have more people coming from places like Norway? Why would they come? They live better there. Europeans come to America like you go to the circus to see the fucking animals. That’s why. You come to shop, take a picture where Brad Pitt slept, and to see the fucking animals. It’s a tour. You’re not coming to live here.” 3 likes