Start by marking “Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)

Reign of the Fallen

(Reign of the Fallen #1)

Odessa is one of Karthia's master necromancers, catering to the kingdom's ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it's Odessa's job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised--the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged Audiobook
Published January 23rd 2018 by Listening Library

To ask other readers questions about Reign of the Fallen, please sign up.
Kat Hey! LGBT is more of a blanket term in publishing, but to specifically focus on the main cast of REIGN: the main character is bisexual, her LI is a…moreHey! LGBT is more of a blanket term in publishing, but to specifically focus on the main cast of REIGN: the main character is bisexual, her LI is a lesbian, and there are two gay characters. What Sarah did is create a world where all sexualities are accepted, without any real-world prejudices or phobias. She wanted to make her story as inclusive as possible, and as an early reader of this, I can promise that her intentions and the end result are exactly the same. :)(less)

Start your review of Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)
Emily May
“There’s nothing you can do, Valoria. I’m not one of your inventions. I’m broken, part of me is missing, and you can’t fix me with copper wires or a piece of string.”

Are you considering this book because it sounds like a dynamic new fantasy with necromancers, action, mystery and a bisexual protagonist? (Also: cover love, let’s not lie.) I was too, but it didn’t quite work for me the way I’d hoped.

I think this is partly a case of an author lingering too long on all the things we don’t care
Melanie

ARC received via #arcsfortrade on Twitter!
(Thank you so much, the spider queen, Elise! )

I could probably get away with just saying “bisexual necromancer main character” for this review and it would hopefully entice you all enough to pick this up, but this truly was a really enjoyable story that I am very happy I was able to read before release.

“Today, for the second time in my life, I killed King Wylding. Killing’s the easy part of the job, though. He never even bleeds when a sword runs
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Introductory series books continue to sort-of-entertain-sort-of-disappoint me... and yet I love them anyway. Because oh boy, I loved a lot of concepts and ideas here. Odessa's story of grief and addiction, a romance I enjoyed, fantastic worldbuilding around change... and yet, I really feel like this book was a too-much-buildup beginning to what I'm hoping will be a sublime series... and yet here I am, giving this series as a whole a four and recommending it.

THE CHARACTERS
Odessa's character is
Chaima ✨ شيماء

( ʖ ) did someone say a bisexual necromancer ( ʖ )
Lola
How cool is that cover?

Much cooler than the story, let me tell you.

If you’re interested in this book because you expect a steamy or at least an extremely cute lesbian relationship in a world controlled by dead kings, look elsewhere.

I stopped reading this book after 200-something pages, because I could not stand the main character being miserable, suffering silently and making bad choice after bad choice.

Look, I understand that she’s been through a lot and lost someone she thought would be in
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Reign of the Fallen
#2 Song of the Dead

Reign of the Fallen was one of my most anticipated releases of this year, and it did not disappoint at all. The world of Karthia was so unique and intriguing, and the cast of characters were diverse and tremendously lovable. More than anything, this story took me by surprise with how dark it was; I knew going into it that it involved necromancy, but I never expected how much it would focus on grief and healing.

If you asked me what the primary focus of
C.G. Drews
Well this was a delicious mouthful of zombies, stabbing, magic, and mayhem. Necromancers are sorely awesome beings and Odessa was simply fantastically badass. It's WAY too early to do a proper review so here's just some things to look forward to:

• epic fantasy world where gender equality is the NORM and women do. not. have. to. prove. themselves (GOD BLESS AND AMEN)
• world were nearly everyone is queer
• necromancers
• dark monsters that want to eat your face off
• epic women friendships
• super
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Alinn
Shelves: from-publisher
3.5 STARS

I'll be the first to raise my hand and admit that I agreed to review this book, at least initially, based on a ferocious case of cover love with a side dish of FOMO. I know that the fear of missing out isn't a valid reason to pick up a book, but I'll bet it happens more times than we'd like to admit in our journey as readers. COME ON- look at the cover, in all it's pink, shimmery glory! <3 I've also been actively searching out writers in the NoVa area to support, and it just so
✨    jamieson   ✨
Yet as long as I'm alive, I have to keep going. One step after another through this tunnel until I'm back in Grenwyr City to rejoin the battle, a little more broken than before. .. For my friends and the Dead and the helpless. For me.
All I can do is keep fighting

FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED

Reign of the Fallen was one of my most highly anticipated 2018 releases and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. While it wasn't the perfect book, it had so so so many things I like - and set up the series in such a way I just
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2.5 Stars

"Your mother brought you into this world as a whole person,” the princess huffs, pulling so hard that I slide to the edge of the bed. “And last I checked, you still are one. No matter what or who you’ve lost. Now get”—she jerks on my arms—"up!”

B I S E X U A L N E C R O M A N C E R S

^two words that will make me read almost any book.

Focusing on Odessa, this story takes place in a kingdom where those born with blue eyes are given the ability to enter a shadow realm and pull souls back
Silvia
I enjoyed reading this a lot! It's been a while since I completely enjoyed a book while being aware of its (admittedly few) flaws (or at least of the things I don't like about it).

World:
The world was really interesting and although I wasn't (and still am not) as in love with the concept of necromancers as everyone seems to be, I found the idea of a necromancer main character extremely cool and unheard of.

On this note, I loved the magic system overall. To sum it up briefly, everyone is born
megs_bookrack
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up**

Oh my goodness did I love this book!

Reign of the Fallen follows Odessa, a master necromancer in the kingdom of Karthia. She is a strong character right out the gate. The action begins quickly and, in my opinion, really never lets up.

I read it so fast, racing to the conclusion. Throughout the course of the story my pulse was raised, my heart crushed and my spirits soared over a full range of emotions.

The magic system is very well developed. I loved the necromancers,
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Oct 06, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi there, and thank you so much for your interest in my book!

Since this is a space for readers, I will be leaving it very shortly--but before I go, I wanted to offer a few warnings to anyone who needs them, as REIGN does contain some sensitive subject matter:

*Violence (throughout)
*Substance abuse/addiction (about 1/3 of the way in, continuing through the better part of the story)

Again, thank you, truly, for your interest in this story and world. Should you choose to enter Karthia and meet Odessa
Irena BookDustMagic
If I’d have to choose only one word to describe Reign of the Fallen, I’d choose the word unique.
In my life, I’ve read many books (almost 500), but I’ve never read anything similar to this story.

Reign of the Fallen is a novel set in a world where people after their death can come alive, with the help of people who’s job is to take them out of the Deadland into their real world.
As you can imagine, most people that rule this world have already died many times.
However cool that might sound, there is
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Ever since I heard about this book Ive been dying to read it. I saw bisexual necromancer and I was sold. In Reign of the Fallen there are necromancers who train to bring people back from the dead. However if any part of the dead persons skin is seen by living eyes they turn into a monstreous zombie called a Shade. With the help of her friends our main character Odessa, also known as Sparrow, is hunting one of the deadliest Shades shes ever heard of while trying to discover if theres more ...more
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3.75/5

Thank God for decimal ratings. Sometimes you just can’t express how you felt with an even number.

What’s this about you ask? In a world where the Dead can be raised by trained warriors called Necromancers, a conspiracy threatens to tear down the realm of the living.

This was enjoyable. I liked the characters (YAY for bisexual main characters!!!), the writting style was good and I liked the world-building.

However, I feel like the concept had sooooo much potential but it was poorly
Sabrien Abdelrahman
Bisexual necromancers, you say?
*grabs popcorn*
I'm here for this.

Kerri
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
official blurb to come. spoiler: i loved it!
enqi ☁️✨
did someone say a bisexual necromancer heroine who has a female lover ?? just, like, take all my money
Taylor
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5

"Life will be hard and painful as long as I cling to it, but there's beauty in it, too."

Even though it's set in the fantasy realm of Karthia -- a world centered on necromancers, Shades (read: zombies), and genetically predisposed mages -- this diverse novel still manages to remind you of home. Full of love, loss, grief, coups, and magic it reminds us that "every monster can be beaten" as long as we try.

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would, and I applaud the author for taking
tappkalina
If the cover isn't enough for you to hit 'want to read' (but honestly I don't know what more do you want - you are hard to please), I will list some things:
- necromancers
- the realistic way the main character dealt with grief
- interesting, dark world
- the romance (f/f) - it was so realistic and so painful and so romantic
- the friend group! - so soft and strong
Sarah Marie
Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh

First book in the Reign of the Fallen series

3 stars

Odessa is a master necromancer for the kingdom of Karthia. She is tasked alongside her partner and lover, Evander, with bringing back King Wylding- the dead king who has rule Karthia continuously. He is killed and brought by to life countless times to continue his reign. His soul is in the Deadlands and it must be brought back, but there is a price to be a soul outside of the Deadlands. The souls risk

Justine
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
3.5 stars.

Overall I liked the storyline and the characters. The subject matter was pretty serious (dealing with grief and drug addiction), but I thought the writing was a bit...lightweight? I felt like I wanted a bit more depth. That might be something that comes as Marsh matures as an author.
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
This book is AMAZING, it deserves ALL THE STARS! Sarah's writing is wonderful and it really immerses you into the story. There is magic, love, adventure. Reign of the Fallen is truly fantastic. Everyone needs this lovely on their TBRs.

*UPDATED* 1/26/2018

Read my full review of Reign of the Fallen

If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I LOVE Sarah Glenn Marsh's Reign of the Fallen. I was a beta reader for the first draft, I blurbed it, and I am the leader of Sarah's street team—The
ambsreads
MY REIGN OF THE FALLEN REVIEW IS ALSO OVER ON MY BLOG, CLICK HERE

Trigger Warnings: murder, grief, addiction

R E V I E W
Reign of the Fallen was one of my most anticipated reads of 2018. Did I actually know what the book was about when I started anticipating it? No. I never read blurbs. I’d seen the hype for it growing on Twitter and I fell in love with the cover. A pretty pink book with a skull on the front? Sign me the fuck up.

So, what is Reign of the Fallen about? Basically, necromancy went
Kai
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Those finished with life crave it less over time.”

Ever wanted to read about a bisexual heroine in a super queer fantasy world? Well, here you go.

Odessa is a rare Master Necromancer in a world filled with living Dead. Once Odessa has brought them back from the spirit world, they may live, shrouded and masked, every piece of their skin safely hidden away. No living human is allowed to see even an inch of them, or the Dead will turn into vile and bloodthirsty monsters. For the past 200 years, the
Sh3lly

I thought this book was really important because it deals with addiction and you don't see that much. There is lgbtq+ rep. Friendship, romance, an amazing grizzly bear named Lysander.

Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
3.5 Stars
I think I might have hyped this up too much. It was likely impossible for it to live up the the standard I set in my head after waiting for this book for months. That being said, I did still enjoy Reign of the Fallen. We follow master necromancer Odessa as she attempts to maintain the Deadlands and prevent the returned Dead from becoming monstrous Shades. As more Shades are being mysteriously
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

I read the author's debut Fear the Drowning Deep. Having enjoyed that and being interested in necromancy I picked up a copy. Man am I disappointed.

I enjoyed the relationships the characters had with each other. The whole eye color being connected to a magical ability was unique. The plot was decent and it was readable. You could easily finish Reign of the Fallen in a matter of days. Odessa's grief and drug addiction was well done.

I wasn't emotionally connected to the characters.
Nikki (Book Allure)
I received an Advanced Reader’s Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I knew living with the Dead was impossible. Death is an ending, not a new beginning.

Reign of the Fallen tackles an interesting story on how a kingdom survives on necromancy. As you can see from above, the cover of the book is just an enticing as the premise, so I was really delighted when Penguin Random House sent me an advanced copy!

My experience of reading Reign of the Fallen is equally divided between what I liked and

• Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Furyborn (Empirium, #1)
  • Everless (Everless, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
  • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep (Sky in the Deep, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Belles (The Belles, #1)
  • The Brilliant Death (The Brilliant Death, #1)
  • Inkmistress (Of Fire and Stars, #0.5)
  • Seafire (Seafire, #1)
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Of Ice and Shadows (Of Fire and Stars, #2)
Sarah Glenn Marsh writes young adult novels and children's picture books.

She lives, writes, and paints things in Virginia, supported by her husband, four rescued greyhounds, three birds, and many fish.

If she could, she'd adopt ALL THE ANIMALS.

Oh, and she'd love to be your friend here on Goodreads, or over on Twitter http://twitter.com/SG_Marsh!

Reign of the Fallen (2 books)
  • Song of the Dead (Reign of the Fallen, #2)
“Those finished with life crave it less over time.” 10 likes
“Your mother brought you into this world as a whole person,” the princess huffs, pulling so hard that I slide to the edge of the bed. “And last I checked, you still are one. No matter what or who you’ve lost. Now get”—she jerks on my arms—“up!” 5 likes