Start by marking “A Perfect Weakness” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Weakness

A Perfect Weakness

The Civil War left its mark on Dr. John Turner. He turns his back on medicine and sees his unexpected inheritance in England as an opportunity to start over. But he never imagines how God intends to use his new role as lord of Ashford Hall or the beautiful woman he finds there to ease his troubled soul.

A tragic loss led Penelope Howard to bury her heart and dreams in her
Published July 25th 2018 by Smitten Historical Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Weakness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Weakness

Start your review of A Perfect Weakness
Deanne Patterson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful message is found in this book, we may not feel worthy of many things but God does not give up on us.
A fascinating story about the time period right after the Civil War but yet takes place in England.
Dr. John Turner carries a heavy burden, he won't let himself forget or forgive himself. He jumps at an opportunity to start over in England with an unexpected inheritance and is now the lord of Ashford Hall. Once there he meets another troubled soul.
Penelope Howard helps others as much
Candace West
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
And excellent read! When Penelope meets John (the new heir of her uncle's estate), she doesn't realize how tragically his life is broken. But then, neither does John realize Penelope's shattered past.
Jennifer Davids does a beautiful job weaving their stories together. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what was going to happen next! This story is all about how God can take the most hopeless situation and turn it into a blessing. Every page draws the characters closer to God's red
Lisa P Clement
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the book. I always enjoy historical stories. I like when a story deals with real life events and the author does a great job with these characters. She writes of their struggles in their past and their redemption over time.
I look forward to reading another book by this author. I highly recommend it.
I was given an advanced copy. This is my honest opinion.
Stella Potts
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Redemption is ours for the asking

This was a great book. It is the first time I have read a book by this author and I will certainly look for others by her. It gives us a view of how God forgives our past mistakes. I enjoyed getting to know the hero and heroine Lord Turner and Penelope. I recommend this book for historical fiction lovers.
Brittany
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this historical romance. I loved that it was set just after the American Civil War, yet it almost exclusively took place in England. That made it a unique setting for me for that time period.

The characters, John and Penelope, were captivating! Both of them had heavy guilt hanging over them. John especially struggled with guilt. Penelope had a better acceptance of the fact that God’s grace could cover anything. Yet, she still carried some immense sadness from past events.

I lo
Erin Laramore
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story took place in the 1860's in England (primarily - with a couple of early scenes in the US), and is a beautiful story of grace and redemption. The story focuses on the lives of the 2 main characters, John and Penelope. Both of them have committed grievous sins in their past that they attempt to keep hidden. John struggles with the possibility of God's grace and believes he has fallen too far. While Penelope has accepted God's grace, she still struggles with the repercussions of her past ...more
Lynda Edwards
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Expectations—good or bad—can be very uncomfortable things. Whether a parent who cannot be satisfied or assumptions about someone based on his or her heritage, this book shows how judgments are often based on too little information and the crippling effects they can have.

Forgiveness is a key theme in this novel, especially of self. Long after others have moved on, our emotions can hold us captive to the past. Only with God can we truly understand forgiveness and move forward to live again. The s
Anne
Very impressed with this book! Jennifer's writing draws the reader in and gets you attached to the characters. And the romance...oh my! Subtle but beautiful. I love how both characters have struggled with redemption over something from their past. "Nobody is beyond redemption" is the theme of this book, and it's one we all need to hear. In addition to a wonderful story, the book, which is set in England in the late 1860s, is well-researched, and I loved learning a few things about medical practi ...more
Terressa
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story of forgiveness. And of course love. I really liked the approach on how the characters realized the forgiveness they needed and received all while learning and accepting to love through that forgiving phase. I hope there is a sequel!!

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive
reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this
in accordance with
Shonda
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book I couldn’t put down! I feel in love with the characters especially Penelope. A great story about God’s grace and forgiveness. I found myself rooting for John. This story will tug on your heart strings. There were moments I wanted to cry it then other times I wanted to rejoice. I highly recommend to anyone looking for a real page turner to read!
Vicki Vaught
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book! It drew me in from the start. Penelope and John are very relatable characters with broken pasts that they must overcome to see God’s love and grace for them and their futures. The medical details in the story were accurate to the time period as well (as a nurse, that is important to me). I loved seeing the progression of their relationship, made to be realistic in that it’s not all happiness and roses, but has hurdles they overcome. I look forward to reading more books ...more
Nieca
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story of two troubled souls finding each other, and helping each other heal. Sympathetic characters who have been through a lot. I would have liked a confrontation at the end rather than just hearing what happened (I don't want to say too much). Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was a nice break from my book club read!
Kailey
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author did an excellent job writing this book. The story and characters really came to life in my mind while reading. The characters were great. It was nice to see them move forward from their past hurts. I always enjoy reading about characters that surrender to God and let Him lead their lives. I look forward to reading more from this author! I highly recommend it!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a revi
Bhriv
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Weakness, written by Jennifer A. Davids, is an excellent read by this author.
My favorite character: Penelope - She had strength and courage to keep going after finding herself in a terrible situation.
Davids took these characters and brought them to life. She didn't miss a beat with bringing realistic struggles to the pages.
Lord Turner had the gift of medicine but couldn't find it in himself to practice after dealing with memories of the Civil War constantly wearing him down.
Penelope h
LisLovesReading E.Espinoza
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.5 Stars
A Perfect Weakness, by Jennifer A. Davids, is an uplifting and endearing novel. The characters in this historical fiction book are particularly compelling. They are vulnerable and thoughtful. They possess a genuine believability that makes them truly relatable and unforgettable. Their struggles, insecurities, fears, and beliefs are truly authentic and moving. I still feel emotionally connected to the characters because of their sincere and desperate longing for the grace and the forgiv
Nicki
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Weakness is a wonderfully rich story about two broken people who help each other heal. Dr. John Turner is guilt ridden about the things that he did as a doctor during the Civil War and about something that happened afterwards as well. When he finds he is the heir to an estate in England, he leaves America and medicine behind to claim his inheritance. He is drawn to Penelope Hall who is the sister to the steward of the estate. Penelope has a secret that she believes will cause her to be ...more
Sally
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Perfect Weakness, a historical Christian romance set in Victorian England, is a beautiful love story that is filled with God’s abundant grace. I was fascinated by the historical detail about medical treatment, and I fell in love with the characters. A winner!
Theresa Kitchen
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God's strength made perfect in weakness

I loved this story! This author grabbed my attention from the very beginning. It was very interesting to see how she used God's grace and strength to bring healing where it was most needed.
Cindy
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book that you don't want to put down. Due to our sin nature, we often feel that salvation is simply too easy to be true. We either think (and want) to do something to earn our salvation, or we are sure that the thing(s) we have done are simply too horrible for God to forgive us. They are both different aspects of pride. The author does a good job of showing how wrong that kind of thinking is, and how stubbornly we will hold on to it. I loved towards the end when Penelope explains ...more
Stacy
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Author Jennifer A. Davids created a beautiful story of redemption set in the latter 1860's in England. The characters were realistic and very likable -you wanted to read more about them. I enjoyed becoming acquainted with the medical practices from that time period as well. And the romance is gentle, yet perfectly enjoyable.
Historical romance fans will want to read this book. It's the perfect mixture of romance, redemption, and history.
I was given an advanced readers copy of this book, my revie
Tabitha Bouldin
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

A beautiful story of love and the great power of God's forgiveness. Sometimes we forget that we never sink so low that God cannot find us.
Danielle Carpenter
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is based on the scripture, 2 Corinthian 2:19. I found John's character overdid the God will never forgive me, but Penelope was the beauty and perfection that can come from redemption. These two character are polar opposites, but they are brought together to show that no one is beyond redemption. I love the power and the emotions brought to these two characters, and the emotions of those around them, and how they are effected. Each character has his or her own story and it is wrapped i ...more
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fascinating historical fiction novel with gorgeous themes of redemption. The Civil War time period is one that has always interested me, and since this one is set in England, the reader gets a unique perspective of that time. The romance is slightly predictable, but overall this is a great story elevated by its spiritual message. Inspirational historical fiction fans should definitely seek this book out as its story is beautifully told and will touch hearts.

I voluntarily reviewed a com
Sherrinda
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely book dealing with some serious issues, and I was pulled in emotionally for both the hero and heroine. Both dealt with pas's that prevented them from opening up to each other. One was running from his past, trying to find the peace only God could provide, and the other poured herself out to others to give her a sense of purpose. I loved the secondary characters and their own storylines. The author did a great job of weaving it all together for a fabulous read.
rob
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This was a very good book. It would be even better if the author would write a sequel making this a series.
Lucienne Ouellette
A perfect witness

Such a great story! Well written. Bringing such truths as gossiping devastating effects on one's life. The scripture so well placed so true. I recommend this book.
Ochegba
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story of grace redemption and forgiveness and also love. This is the first book by Jennifer Davis I'm reading but I really enjoyed it. I love how the characters were able to deal with their issues and understand that grace is available for them. I'll love to read more books by this author
Mary
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The weakness to end all weakness

.I enjoy reading Jennifer A. David's story. It brought to mind many emotions that I also went through. The birth of my first born was also unplanned, but my son was so welcomed.
Pat Christie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebook

She’s the niece of the lord that died. The new lord arrives but he has secrets and doesn’t want to be there. She draws him but he fights it and realizes she hiding a secret too. Can the help one another to let the past go and move to a healing love.
Audra
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story in which both main Characters learn how to forgive themselves. It's a pretty emotional read. David's wrote one powerful story without being too preachy. I highly recommend.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Among the Poppies
  • Finding Lady Enderly
  • Lord of Her Heart
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • To Claim Her Heart
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Mail-Order Refuge
  • Deadly Intentions
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • Love You Truly
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • Almost a Bride (The Bride Ships, #4)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
Jennifer has been writing stories since she got an A++ on her ninth grade creative writing assignment. A member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and a graduate of The Ohio State University, she makes room to write in between being a busy wife and mom and despite the fact her cats like to walk in front of her keyboard.