Start by marking “This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See” as Want to Read:
This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

Real marketing isn't about racking up clicks and tweets; it's about connection, empathy, and making a difference.

Over the past quarter century, Seth Godin has taught and inspired millions of entrepreneurs, marketers, leaders, and fans from all walks of life, via his blog, online courses, lectures, and bestselling books. He is the inventor of countless ideas and phrases t
Hardcover, First Edition, 288 pages
Published November 13th 2018 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about This Is Marketing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Marketing

BookOfCinz
As someone who works in Marketing and Communications, I thoroughly enjoyed reading, learning and getting some reinforcements on things I already knew. I have been a practicing Marketer for the last 8 years and reading this book really helped to simplify and expand on issues I encounter on a daily basis.

This is a book about roots. About anchoring your work deeply in the dreams, desires, and communities of those you seek to serve. It’s about changing people for the better, creating work you can b
Laura Noggle
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, business, nonfiction
Nice recap and refresher on where you need to be mentally in your marketing approach.

It's hard to write about marketing consistently (as Godin does), especially as it is always changing and slippery enough to define in general terms as is. Initially, I felt that this book was so similar to all of Godin's other books. By the end however, he had me, and I can honestly say I enjoyed this book.

It reminded me of a mini skirt—long enough to cover the subject, and short enough to keep it interesting
Nessy Dimitrova
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in these blinks:

With the rise of the internet and the fall of the monolithic mass media, marketers can no longer rely on advertising alone. Instead, they should take an approach to marketing that identifies people’s underlying needs and desires, develops a product that can fulfill them and uses value-positioning and storytelling to cultivate a core group of fans who are receptive to trying new things and can provide the product with it smallest
Jurgen Appelo
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Reads like a summary of design thinking, lean startup, and his previous marketing books.
Kirill
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book summarizes the current state of marketing according to Seth Godin. It references ideas that stood through time, like Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey Moore, as well as a lot of things Seth wrote before. Tribes, Purple Cows. A small summary below (SPOILERS).

Lesson One: Find your smallest viable audience
We live in a world overwhelmed with information. Grabbing attention is hard and it costs money. Seek for the smallest market you can live with. Be specific. Trying to catch the whole market
Matthew
I struggled with this one. On the one hand, there were a number of helpful concepts. On the other hand, those concepts felt so widely varied that it was difficult to find a thread or theme that wove the entire book together. I suppose that's the risk you run when you dive into an entire subject. Many of the chapters whetted my appetite for more, but didn't deliver.
Austin Bennett
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, for the first time, Godin offers the core of his marketing wisdom in one accessible, timeless package. At the heart of his approach is a big idea: Great marketers don't use consumers to solve their company's problem; they use marketing to solve other people's problems. They don't just make noise; they make the world better. Truly powerful marketing is grounded in empathy, generosity, and emotional labour.

Angela
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth continues his quest to make marketers better people.

This book covered way too many concepts for its 250 pages - which left me wanting more. However, enough ideas are explained with enough depth that it is valuable for any marketer to read - especially if you're new to marketing and looking for a broad overview of a significant number of concepts that will help you in your career.

My biggest beef is the "case studies" offered in this book were nothing of the sort. They were merely examples,
Srinath
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on marketing yet! Its content is highly relevant in the digital era as well as timeless!

Covers a broader spectrum of marketing stuff (broader than Al Ries' and Jack Trout's Positioning for sure) along with short relevant cases (case studies).

Gives implementable ideas and frameworks that are both strong and easy.
Peter
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm sure there were some important tidbits of marketing advice in this book, but it's so full of generalities and aphorisms that you can't find them. Godin writes in pithy, one-sentence paragraphs that rarely have any transition to the next paragraph. He's almost too cute for his own good. It's clear that he knows marketing, but he's too coy to get his point across to the general masses. Give me tangible tips, not proverbs.
Paweł Górski
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally in love with this book. Best marketing book I’ve read. Seth Godin uses a very simple language, short, blog-style chapters, and examples easy to understand for everything. It’s definitely not the way textbooks teach about marketing. It’s the most up-to-date approach to teach marketing.
Mike Sr.
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Seth Godin's thinking and ideas regarding marketing. He clearly understands how the best of what we do is about more than just money. I appreciate the way his mind stretches marketing to a high and noble calling. This book won't disappoint any Godin fan. And it will challenge you to do your best work for the best reasons. Go for it.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed a lot of Seth Godin's books--this might be his best. It's sort of a culmination of his history and thinking, the big ideas behind all the cool tactics and stories in the other books.
Heather
Just not going to finish. Feels like too much work to read for too little tangible take away.
Vera
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Seth that I've read and although there are some genuinely original and solid ideas in there, I often struggled with fluff. The one thing that stood out as a negative for me was that he didn't seem to carry out the case studies properly - he doesn't talk about the why or the how, so the case studies fail to do what they should. I did get some takeaways from it but didn't feel it had much to offer all in all.
Alexander Rivas
1/14/18
This is my second go around with this book and I thoroughly convinced that Seth gives excellent advice. It seems like this book has made it clear to me who is doing marketing well and how is not, as well their intentions. I am someone who actively markets the importance of being a daily reader; this book has given me strategies to approach it differently and take my mission more seriously.
12/14/18
I appreciate all the effort the author puts into changing the image or idea of what a markete
Jim Lyons
This book had so much potential! It showed up on Amazon Charts out of the blue, as a nonfiction "most sold", and I bought it immediately. I began reading intensively soon after purchase, but about halfway through, I bogged down. And being honest with myself, although I have tried reading other books by Seth Godin, and remember being entranced by some of their ideas and examples, I eventually stop reading. Until "This is Marketing", I don't think I have ever finished one, even though his books ar ...more
Matthew
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was fantastically practical. Here are some of the statements I'm still thinking about:

"Effective marketing now relies on empathy and service."

"Marketing is the generous act of helping someone solve their problem."

"Culture beats strategy. Culture is strategy."

"If you're a marketer, you are in the business of making change happen."

"Your job as a marketer is to find a spot on the map with edge that some people want to find."

"Dog food is for dog owners."

"Overdo your brand marketing."

"
Frank McKinley
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, the best book on marketing I’ve ever read.

As I write this, I’m working on changing the story writers are telling themselves. Much of it is a lie that I believed, too. Now that I know differently, it’s my responsibility to share this breakthrough with the artists who struggle to share their message effectively.

This book answered all my questions about connecting my work with my chosen tribe. It’s a challenge in a world filled with more noise from more voices than ever. How do you stan
Gary L Rau
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like Vince Lombardi's famous "This is a football speech", Seth Godin's "This is marketing" will stand the test of time.

You can’t be seen until you learn to see. This book is dedicated to showing the reader how to see.

Effective marketers don’t begin with a solution - they begin with a group to serve, a problem to solve and a change to make. The marketer’s calling is to make a difference.

“He who would be great in the Kingdom of Heaven must be servant of many.” (Jesus of Nazareth) When you know wh
Aaron Maurer
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
As always, I read Seth Godin in small doses so the journey last longer. This book really pushed my thinking as an educator. While I am not selling a product I can easily apply these principles to making change is a system that needs it most.

Per usual, most pages had highlights with scribbles. How do I take the ideas of marketing and apply to making connections with students in the classroom? How do I build enrollment with the adults I interact with to create larger change?

Most importantly, reali
Nick Richtsmeier
As a marketing practitioner these past 8 years, it's probably long over due that I found my way to Seth Godin. I've read his short-form material but never picked up one of his books. As the primary voice for the evolution from intrusion advertising to relationship-building marketing strategies, few are better than Seth. He knows the game.

This comprehensive book (a short-form of his year-long course) ought to be required reading for marketers working today. It helps frame up over-used terminology
Daniel
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Godin is a famous author, dot.com executive, and blogger. He teaches marketing. This book of marketing mentions the whole process of marketing, which is actually everything:

1. Have a product that helps people
2. Target the minimal viable group who will be your super fans
3. They will spend good money for your product or service, making it viable, and be so excited about your work
4. Marketing should be about deception; it is to help people know about the value of the product
5. Both buyer and seller
Jonathan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish the book.

I have read 4 books of Seth Godin before that i all liked.
This book felt repetitive and it seemed like Seth in this book confused his idealistic beliefs with what works to get more or better customers.

For instance, he says:
"Effective marketing now relies on empathy and service"
or
"Marketing is the generous act of helping others become who they seek to become"

There are plenty of company's that sell complete crap but make tons of money because of their marketing.

I believ
Tim Hughes
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a Methodology but A Set of Ideas
If you are looking for a marketing methodology where you can implement it and start cranking the handle, this isn't it. Seth provides a long list of thoughts about Marketing in the modern world. "Obviously" he has to cater for B2C and B2B as well as all of the variants in between. He does focus in on the death of interruption marketing and how companies now need to build relationships and have conversations with clients. He also takes into account the new worl
K.M.
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I was so excited when I found out Seth Godin had a new book out!

I like to test drive books before I buy them (when possible) by getting them from the library.

As I was reading and starting my 8th page of notes on the book in my journal, I realized that this was a book I needed to buy.
Duh.
Seth Godin’s writing makes you think about your own life and examine your feelings about what you are–and are not–doing. He has a way of asking questions that cuts right through to get to the truth. This book has
Nick Armstrong
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, favorites
Seth Godin is consistently and prolifically one of the best minds in marketing. I've run my own marketing company for 10 years and he still has new things to teach, oftentimes through his daily blog. His books offer a more distilled format, and this one is filled with case studies, relevant historical perspective, and an overarching narrative that reaches a Zig Ziglar-esque love/responsibility for the craft. There are so many highlights, a simple review can't do them justice. If you are in any w ...more
Chris
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-books
Of course I'm a complete Seth devotee, read 80% of the blog posts, listen to the podcast "Akimbo", read the books and know what to expect. Even so, sometimes a book appears in your life just when you need to read it - that's about you and not about the author. So I'm appreciating myself for being ready to enjoy the content of 'This is Marketing" and see its relevance in my 2019 business planning.

Thank you Seth, for being there - again.

For other readers, "This is Marketing" can save you wasted m
Jasky Singh
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn’t expect much from it as it has such a boring title and wasn’t really pushed very hard (I.e. didn’t hear about it on every podcast imaginable). However considering Seth godin usually doesn’t push out garbage I bought it and was super glad I did.

Written in very simple and easy to understand terms (unlike the metaphorical riddles that Seth uses on his blog) - there were a lot of actionable ideas and just by reading it I feel like I am a lot clearer on how to market a new product in the curre
John
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
A little more rah-rah than practical. It takes a couple hundred pages to summarize the concepts of 1,000 True Fans, the 'Riches are in the Niches', and The Long Tail. Some of the 'tips' are just plain impractical or nonsensical. Example: 'The method is to do work so impossibly magical that agents and producers come looking for you."

Do impossible shit. That's helpful advice.

The one clear takeaway is that it is no long possible (if it ever was) to 'build it and they will come'. You are clearly at
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust
“Marketing is our quest to make change on behalf of those we serve, and we do it by understanding the irrational forces that drive each of us.” 3 likes
“Persistent, consistent, and frequent stories, delivered to an aligned audience, will earn attention, trust, and action.” 2 likes