Start by marking “Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life” as Want to Read:

The no-f*cks-given guide to taming anxiety and taking back control of your life, from the bestselling author of The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck and Get Your Sh*t Together
Do you spend more time worrying about problems than solving them? Do you let unexpected difficulties ruin your day and do "what ifs" keep you up at night?
Sounds like you need to CALM THE F*CK
Published December 31st 2018 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Calm the F*ck Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calm the F*ck Down

Liz
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I don’t normally read self help books, but this title just spoke to me. Because those who know me, will tell you that’s how I talk. And I definitely suffer from anxiety, so why not give it a try?

As you would expect from the title, the author’s style is very flippant. But that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have some good points. As she says in the Author’s Note, this is basically an extended Serenity Prayer - change what you can, accept what you can’t and be wise enough to know the difference.

Will he
Elizabeth

description

Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life is another great self-help book from my favorite self-help guru and goddess, Sarah Knight. What is always most refreshing about her books is the way in which she offers encouragement with humor, whit, and raw honesty. There is never any judgment or room for remorse but instead, her books offer solace and a calm quiet voice in midst of the sh*t storm of life. As I ente
Erin
Special thanks to Sarah Knight and Little Brown and Company for providing me with this book for free.

I'm not into "Self-Help" as genre, I don't understand its purpose.

So why did I read this book?

Because it was free and because I've been feeling a little more stress and anxiety then usual. Calm The F*ck Down is book 4 of Sarah Knight's No F*cks Given Guide, but I had never even heard of her. A quick Google search told me that she's kind of a big deal.

Like most self help guides Calm the F*ck D
abby
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Self-help books start at a severe deficit in that they aren't very helpful. Yet the fact that we think there's a book out there that can cure our generalized anxiety, or help us shed those last 10 lbs for good, or make us rich, keeps the genre going (never mind that if books could save us from ourselves, this country wouldn't be the fat, nervous, broke mess that it is). But if you have to read a self-help book, you could do far less than the latest in Sarah Knight's f*ck series.

The author has a
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Woe is me! It didn’t end up being as helpful as I hoped it would (for a few specific reasons that might have more to do with my personal brand of anxiety differing from the author’s). I’m still deciding on a final rating. RTC
Laura Rash
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Knight has a knack of letting you know you need to get your head out of your ass and get a grip on your life and how you handle what you can’t control. Yes, it’s quirky and funny in her descriptions of how to do just that but it also makes you pause and think about how you can make some legit changes. And how to CALM THE FUCK DOWN!
Thanks to Little Brown for this early copy:)
Kate Henderson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Listened via audible**
Everyone raves about Sarah Knights books so I thought I would give this a go - this book really appealed to me. Unfortunately I felt it very self indulgent and a lot of waffle! I didn’t get anything from it! So disappointing!
Emily Goenner
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I must say, 2019 is not off to a great start. The more I thought about the last book I reviewed, the angrier I got, and this one is likely to be the same.

A few years ago, I listened to Knight's "Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck" and I liked it--funny, relevant, some good ideas. So, with anxiety about the new school year growing, I thought "Calm the F*ck Down" would at least provide a laugh.

Nope. Wrong.

Knight's narration was annoying and self-involved ("please give me 5 stars" e.g.). He
Ceallaigh Johnson
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book I would have to say is the worst book I have read for advice. The made up lingo and the nonsense that you have to sift through in order to get the point that is trying to be made is horrendous. The author makes it clear that she is not a doctor or formally educated in anything that warrants a book on advice giving, however her writing makes me not calm ironically. The examples given are a joke and basically an elementary student could have done better with less personal experience. Not ...more
Castle Spooktacular
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I've liked all of Sarah Knight's books so far, and this one did not disappoint. I like her attitude, quirkyness, and solid practical tools to help you be your best you. Her books are kind of like a literary pep talk & action plan to help you stay motivated, calm down, and let go of the stuff that's causing you problems. I like her approach, and her series of books have been a breath of fresh air compared other self help books out there. Way to go homie!
Trina
Are you looking for the pep-talk of the ages? Well then Calm the F*ck Down by Sarah Knight will give you just that!

This no nonsense look at control, worrying and dealing with stress will floor you. I LOVED the author’s comical and mirth-filled prose, I mean, the title itself gives it away right. The author explains what she refers to as “The Four Faces of Freaking Out” as well as the “flipside” of these four faces. This book is a practical guide that will help you accept things under your contro
Myndi
This review was originally posted on my blog, Mad Book Love.

Why this book? I am nothing if not anxiety-driven. Anxiety-riddled. Anxiety-plagued. You get the drift. After a lifetime of struggling with it, I finally went to therapy a couple years back, was diagnosed with Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and figured out how best to deal with it (for now; these nasty beasties transmogrify, and then new battle plans must be devised). While my depression ebbs and flows, my anxiety
Jenna
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A basic guide for managing anxiety delivered in a pithy, tongue-in-cheek writing style. Calm the F*ck Down outlines a common sense approach to dealing with everyday anxieties using problem solving strategies that examine and reframe your worries so that you can either deal with them or let them go. The "Question to Rule them All" was an especially helpful portion of the book, easy to understand and easy for readers to start using right away. Much of the book's content is dedicated to hypothetica ...more
Ashley
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best for: Anyone with anxiety, anyone who tends to worry a bunch, and/or anyone who can find themselves unsure of where to start when something bad happens.

In a nutshell: Author Sarah Knight offers a way to think about the things that keep us up at night so they don’t take over our lives. She is not a doctor, and isn’t suggesting that people with mental health issues that amplify their tendency to worry simply need to calm the fuck down; this book is for those of us who wouldn’t have a diagnosis
Shawna P.
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: goal-digger-read
I adored Sarah's first two books and as someone who does have severe anxiety, I needed this book like yesterday. Here is a little tip for her first time readers, try and listen to the audio version. I feel like it makes it better and more aligned with her tone and humor.

There were several good points about dealing with this craptastic illness, but some of the heavier stuff (death, infertility, etc) is easier said than done to deal with. I hate giving a less than five star review to an author wh
Kerrie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most "self-help" books, there are some priceless wisdom nuggets that can benefit pretty much everybody who reads it with an open mind. Those people who think they're on the right side and it's always somebody else's problem.... well, can you really get through to those people?

The rest seemed to be fluff and filler, but it was a consistent message throughout. The One Question To Rule Them All is one that should guide everyone when they're about to get anxious, sad, or fly off the handle abou
Cassandra
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
It's not that I didn't think that this was good, I just don't think it really applies well to me. At times I really did need to hear what she was saying (Ostrich mode) but most of it was in one ear and out the other. I don't have anxiety, I just have anxious moments every so often, so I don't think it's fair to dislike a book that I'm not the target audience for.

You obviously don't have to have anxiety to read this book, but I felt like I couldn't connect with a lot because it wasn't geared towa
Kayce
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a 3.5 for me. As the title should suggest, the language is heavy in this. As a personal preference, I find excessive language distracting when I read (in this case: Audible). But I would hardly fault the author for that-- she is pretty upfront about it. (See: title) This book had some great points and overall I really enjoyed the message!
Cindy
Who could pass up a book with this title? I personally tell myself numerous times a day that I need to calm the f*ck down! So it sounded perfect since I worry over everything and anything.

I loved the quirky writing. She gives plenty of ideas and some that I have definitely already tried since reading the book. Her sense of humor gives a whole new meaning on how to calm the f*ck down. It wasn't boring reading but there were times I just kind of skimmed over something that didn't interest me.

This
Kurt Pankau
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and funny read with practical advice that mainly boils down to: When you are inclined to worry about something, triage, prioritize, prepare, and--if necessary--THEN worry. And there are the requisite caveats that anxiety may be a sign of a legitimate mental health issue that should be discussed with a doctor. It's fine, it's vulgar, and it's very short.
Tene Robinson
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Knight became my best-friend in this book and I cannot wait to read more of her books.
If you suffer from anxiety or any mental health illness or simply just need a good read about REAL LIFE. PICK THIS UP AND READ IT COVER TO COVER
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Calm The F**k Down by Sarah Knight

I was so kindly sent a finished copy of this book, by Hachette Australia. I requested it from them because, not only does it combine dealing with anxiety and stress, something that we all can relate to, but it also sounds hilarious, which, according to me, is also what you need when reading a book about anxiety and how to deal with it.
Firstly, I was a little weary about reading and reviewing a self-help book. But honesty time here, I have suffered from my fair s
Megan Dickson
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jo-Ann Duff (Duffy The Writer)

Ever Just Want To Calm The F**k Down For A Minute?

Author Sarah Knight showed me how to Get Your Sh*t Together in 2017 and I’ve been a fan of her anti-guru mantras and tricks to living a better life ever since.

There are whole bookshelves dedicated to sweary self-help books, and it seems to be a growing trend, and whilst they can at first glance all seem the same. Knight stands out as the OG of blasphemous books to help you get the most out of your life.

Calm The F*ck Down is a guide to taking back
Steph
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favourite of the NFFGs so far. Firstly, the title and then the blurb immediately spoke to me as someone who's always struggled with anxiety. And I have a tendency to make fun of myself and use a lot of sarcasm, so Knight's sense of humour and tongue-in-cheek writing style appeals to me a lot.

Did this book help me calm the f*ck down? A little, actually. I've managed to catch myself getting capital-A Anxious a few times since reading it, and by busting out the handy probometer
Jade Wright
I've always been a fan of self-help books. Some of my favorites are The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle and The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck. More often than not though, I find self-help books to be by quite condescending, arrogant twits.

Calm the F**k Down (A No F*cks Given Guide) by Sarah Knight was sent to me by Hachette Australia and appealed to me because lets face it... I need to Calm the F**k Down with a lot in my life. I need to stop letting anxiety control me. 2019 is my year of fig
Nathan Mayer
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not the best self-help book I've ever read, but certainly one of the better ones. My anxiety has been with me for as long as I can remember. Most days it is controllable, some days it is out of control. It affects me mainly at night, as I'm either trying to fall asleep and can't turn my brain off, or I wake up in the middle of the night to pee or something and then can't get back to sleep because the brain again won't shut up. This book did nothing to help with this aspect, but I did learn a lot ...more
Shannon Rochester
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read this book :)

If I am being honest, I chose it based on the name alone. I really had no idea what it was about and I had never heard of the other books. I know, I must have been living in a closet, right? As I myself was diagnosed with generalized anxiety a few years ago, I found this even better than I assumed it would be. I was recommending it on facebook before I was even a quarter of the way through. I LOVED this book. We all need someone like Sarah
Stacey
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't think there could be a self help book better than The Life Changing Magic of not giving a F.... but I believe Calm the F Down will be even more life changing for me. As I've been reading this book I've been putting the principles into practice and it has literally been life changing. I am a very anxious/stressed out person that should buy stock in ostriching (read the book to find out what I'm talking about), and this bo
Tonya
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was “ok”. Honestly, I would’ve given her more credit if she hadn’t used this platform... that I paid for... to hear about how to deal with anxiety... to spout her political views. I don’t give a happy crap who you vote for or how you feel about global warming. What does it have to do with anxiety? If I wanted to hear someone bitch about the President (who I’m not a big fan of either, BTW), among many other “hot topics”, I would’ve read Hillary’s book.

But, I digress...

Having spent many yea
  • Trouble When You Walked In
  • You Are Good at Things: A Checklist
  • Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction: The Mbsr Program for Enhancing Health and Vitality
  • The Ancestral Continuum: Unlock the Secrets of Who You Really Are
  • Must Love Wieners (A Rescue Dog Romance #1)
  • Midtown Masters (Sins in the City, #3)
  • The Last Archangel (The Last Archangel, #1)
  • Active Dreaming: Journeying Beyond Self-Limitation to a Life of Wild Freedom
  • Ecology of Consciousness: The Alchemy of Personal, Collective, and Planetary Transformation
  • Emotional Intimacy: Your Untapped Source of Strength, Freedom, and Connection
  • Stud for Hire (Stripped Down #1)
  • 30 Lays in 30 Days: The List 1
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Ride 'Em (Giddyup, #1)
  • Shooting Dirty (Dirty Eleven, #2)
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love