Start by marking “Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life” as Want to Read:

The no-f*cks-given guide to taming anxiety and taking back control of your life, from the bestselling author of The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck and Get Your Sh*t Together
Do you spend more time worrying about problems than solving them? Do you let unexpected difficulties ruin your day and do "what ifs" keep you up at night?
Sounds like you need to CALM THE F
Published December 31st 2018 by Voracious

Start your review of Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life
Liz
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I don’t normally read self help books, but this title just spoke to me. Because those who know me, will tell you that’s how I talk. And I definitely suffer from anxiety, so why not give it a try?

As you would expect from the title, the author’s style is very flippant. But that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have some good points. As she says in the Author’s Note, this is basically an extended Serenity Prayer - change what you can, accept what you can’t and be wise enough to know the difference.

Will he
Erin
Special thanks to Sarah Knight and Little Brown and Company for providing me with this book for free.

I'm not into "Self-Help" as genre, I don't understand its purpose.

So why did I read this book?

Because it was free and because I've been feeling a little more stress and anxiety then usual. Calm The F*ck Down is book 4 of Sarah Knight's No F*cks Given Guide, but I had never even heard of her. A quick Google search told me that she's kind of a big deal.

Like most self help guides Calm the F*ck D
✰ Liz ✰

description

Calm the F*ck Down: How to Control What You Can and Accept What You Can't So You Can Stop Freaking Out and Get On With Your Life is another great self-help book from my favorite self-help guru and goddess, Sarah Knight. What is always most refreshing about her books is the way in which she offers encouragement with humor, whit, and raw honesty. There is never any judgment or room for remorse but instead, her books offer solace and a calm quiet voice in midst of the sh*t storm of life. As I ente
Emily Goenner
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
I must say, 2019 is not off to a great start. The more I thought about the last book I reviewed, the angrier I got, and this one is likely to be the same.

A few years ago, I listened to Knight's "Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck" and I liked it--funny, relevant, some good ideas. So, with anxiety about the new school year growing, I thought "Calm the F*ck Down" would at least provide a laugh.

Nope. Wrong.

Knight's narration was annoying and self-involved ("please give me 5 stars" e.g.). He
abby
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, nonfiction
Self-help books start at a severe deficit in that they aren't very helpful. Yet the fact that we think there's a book out there that can cure our generalized anxiety, or help us shed those last 10 lbs for good, or make us rich, keeps the genre going (never mind that if books could save us from ourselves, this country wouldn't be the fat, nervous, broke mess that it is). But if you have to read a self-help book, you could do far less than the latest in Sarah Knight's f*ck series.

The author has a
Kate Henderson
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**Listened via audible**
Everyone raves about Sarah Knights books so I thought I would give this a go - this book really appealed to me. Unfortunately I felt it very self indulgent and a lot of waffle! I didn’t get anything from it! So disappointing!
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Woe is me! It didn’t end up being as helpful as I hoped it would (for a few specific reasons that might have more to do with my personal brand of anxiety differing from the author’s). I’m still deciding on a final rating. RTC
Ceallaigh Johnson
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book I would have to say is the worst book I have read for advice. The made up lingo and the nonsense that you have to sift through in order to get the point that is trying to be made is horrendous. The author makes it clear that she is not a doctor or formally educated in anything that warrants a book on advice giving, however her writing makes me not calm ironically. The examples given are a joke and basically an elementary student could have done better with less personal experience. Not ...more
Leah
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Great book for people who deal with anxiety.

It's about using logic and walking yourself through the process, and not taking yourself so seriously.

You have to ask yourself the "Question to Rule them All" - can I control this? and if you can't then stop worrying and thinking about it.

You can't control everything, and you need to realize and accept this. Control means that you can make your own outcome but sometimes you have to trust and let others help. You can only change yourslelf, not others.
Laura Rash
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Knight has a knack of letting you know you need to get your head out of your ass and get a grip on your life and how you handle what you can’t control. Yes, it’s quirky and funny in her descriptions of how to do just that but it also makes you pause and think about how you can make some legit changes. And how to CALM THE FUCK DOWN!
Thanks to Little Brown for this early copy:)
Lizzilu
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Colossal waste of time. And I barely got through the first chapter. Horribly written. No real help was offered and if there was, it had to be hidden in her constant quips. Ugh. What an obnoxious human being.
Ina
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it

This was my first ever audiobook. Let's be real: I might never enjoy listening to novels. I like to imagine characters' voices and accents in my own head and I like to read as quickly or as slowly as I want to to enjoy certain paragraphs. Therefore - fiction audiobooks, not for me. But this? This was fun.

I have been wanting to try and read some non-fiction (most likely self help) books for a while. However, since reading novels is so much more fun (at least for me), I usually give up o
Lynn Plourde
Apr 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: self-help
DNF (did not finish). This book started with a message I needed to hear (stop worrying about the things you can't control, and be proactive and take action for the things you can control--even a little). Simple, yet insightful, plus humorous. But I couldn't finish it. It got too muddled in the middle--trying to make the simple message too complex. Plus the more I read, the author's humor and writing style grew abrasive and "not funny."
Katelyn Jenkins
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
I had no idea stupidity could reach this level. Never cursing again. Thanks Sarah.
Katie
Apr 15, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
dnf - I cannot handle all the cute-sy, trying to be funny (BUT ARE NOT FUNNY BC THIS AUTHOR ISN'T FUNNY) quips and anecdotes while talking about something serious. Her little "remember the tarantula in the living room?" lessons are flipping insulting and insufferable.
Jason
Feb 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Garbage
britt_brooke
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Anti-guru Sarah Knight presents the tools you need to effectively react to shit. Triage your emergencies and calm yourself. Control how you react. Most of this is common sense stuff, but the reminder that other people struggle, too, always helps. Plus, I’m here for the profanity.
Castle Spooktacular
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I've liked all of Sarah Knight's books so far, and this one did not disappoint. I like her attitude, quirkyness, and solid practical tools to help you be your best you. Her books are kind of like a literary pep talk & action plan to help you stay motivated, calm down, and let go of the stuff that's causing you problems. I like her approach, and her series of books have been a breath of fresh air compared other self help books out there. Way to go homie! ...more
Myndi
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This review was originally posted on my blog, Mad Book Love.

Why this book? I am nothing if not anxiety-driven. Anxiety-riddled. Anxiety-plagued. You get the drift. After a lifetime of struggling with it, I finally went to therapy a couple years back, was diagnosed with Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and figured out how best to deal with it (for now; these nasty beasties transmogrify, and then new battle plans must be devised). While my depression ebbs and flows, my anxiet
Christina
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was such an incredible waste of time. It took everything inside of me to finish it, and I did, but only because I have a thing with finishing books I start. The entire tone of the book felt as if I was being lectured by a college freshman who just passed Psych 101 with a B+. The “advice” is so incredibly basic: go to bed & worry about your problems tomorrow, don’t worry about things you can’t control, prioritize your problems. I could go on & on but I rather not. Additionally, the scen ...more
Yasmin Harris
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Awful. Struggled to get through it. Sarah might aswell have just repeated the same thing over and over again; because that’s what it felt like. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to reading this book. Would not recommend at all.
Suzie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After Sarah's other great books, I'm not sure how her editor thought publishing this writing was a good idea. so. much. nonsense.
Trina
Are you looking for the pep-talk of the ages? Well then Calm the F*ck Down by Sarah Knight will give you just that!

This no nonsense look at control, worrying and dealing with stress will floor you. I LOVED the author’s comical and mirth-filled prose, I mean, the title itself gives it away right. The author explains what she refers to as “The Four Faces of Freaking Out” as well as the “flipside” of these four faces. This book is a practical guide that will help you accept things under your contro
Erin
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Sarah Knight! These books are all so great! A lot of the statements feel like they could be obvious on the outside, but no one practices them. I found myself putting a lot of her methods into action immediately, before I was even done the book. They work really well! My favourite advice related to the scenario where you know you can't do anything at the moment, but how do you let it go until you can act? Sarah is so blunt and to the point. Everyone I know should be reading these books.
Lauren McNamara
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another hilarious “self-help” book. Love her style. Not sure how the steps work in practice but it’s been fun to read.
Emma Boulton
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring and very funny! Sarah’s no nonsense advice reminds us that’s it possible to take a logical and pragmatic approach to any situation no matter how stressful or devastating it may be.
Kathleen Brunnett
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just need to hear advice in a different voice to make it stick. Dealing with anxiety (thankfully a mild case for me but always looming none the less) can zap the life out of you. I found Knight’s mix of tips and tricks along with humor helpful. Just ordered my own copy so I can take notes the second time around. Heads up: the f**k theme runs throughout.
Leah Agirlandaboy
This kind of potty-mouthed approach doesn’t work for everyone, but it sure as fuck works for me. This is the funniest place I know of to get good advice.
Sherly
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I'll give all my stars to Sarah Knight's humor sense! She is so hilarious!
If this was a YouTube video or a Podcast or a speech during the last day of college (AKA graduation day), this would have been the best!
But unfortunately, this is a self-help book and NO, I'm sorry to say this, this just didn't work out.

Absurdity and self-praising and ridiculous examples and funny events and silly stuff are acceptable then and there in a book.
But what if an entire book is filled with just that?
It hurts to
Jessica B
This book was written for stress beads like me. Refreshingly Knight addresses any criticism of her advice directly throughout the book. Never once pretending to be something that she isn’t. What she is, is someone who has dealt with anxiety and is giving practical, straight forward advice on what helped her and could therefor help you. I think even if you get one useful trick from this book (here’s looking at you emotional puppy crating) then it’s well worth the read. I will be picking up any fu ...more

• You Are a Badass Every Day: How to Keep Your Motivation Strong, Your Vibe High, and Your Quest for Transformation Unstoppable
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • Live More, Want Less: 52 Ways to Find Order in Your Life
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: A Skeptic's Guide to Growth and Fulfillment
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Make It Happen: Manifest the Life of Your Dreams
  • Crappy to Happy
  • How to Stop Feeling Like Sh*t: 14 Habits that Are Holding You Back from Happiness
  • Minimalist Rulebook: 16 Rules for Living with Less
  • You Are Enough
  • Create Calm
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Dare to Lead
  • Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life
  • Untamed

News & Interviews

“You can't stop worrying? Fine, worry away. But make it count for something.” 1 likes
“To survive and thrive in these moments, you need to ACKNOWLEDGE what’s happened, ACCEPT the parts you can’t control, and ADDRESS the parts you can.” 0 likes