Start by marking “The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (The Little Animal Philosophy Books)” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (The Little Animal Philosophy Books)

The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (The Little Animal Philosophy Books)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  830 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Relax, unwind and soak up the wisdom of the sloth with the slowest page turner you’ll ever read.

From tidying and Hygge, to living Lagom, the endless pressure to be happier, live better, sleep soundly, and eat mindfully can be exhausting. But this year’s lifestyle trend finally delivers the perfect antidote – welcome to the year of the sloth.

Sloths are mindfulness in action
Published October 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (The Little Animal Philosophy Books)
Montzalee Wittmann
How to slow down in life!

This cute little Sloth Philosophy book is not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a home book but this actually was more beneficial. It uses the sloth as a cute reminder to slow down and enjoy life. Lots of cute cartoon sloths.
Anima
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ‘sloth philosophy’ doesn’t mean to be lazy or move at a sluggish pace as the picture on the cover might suggest. Sloths move quickly if they want. It is their built in low metabolic rate the main reason they are not as active as other creatures. They are solitary and shy and are not affectionate to humans. It has been found that their sleep pattern is easily disturbed when people touch them.
In this context, the author beautifully builds the pathways of ‘sloth philosophy’ which I found to be
Charity
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable little read. Tries to teach you to slow down and enjoy life more. Random tidbits about Sloths. A cute, tiny coffee table book.
Gina
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love otters, this one was a bit more my speed (pun fully intended), though it hit on many of the same themes.
Roberta Decenzo
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute and easy to read with some very good self help advice. Especially good for people with anxiety and for people who generally want to learn how to slow down. It comes in a form that looks like a small coffee table book but it’s actually a lot more than that and has over 170 pages. Overall, a good outline and start for learning to slow down and enjoy the little things in life again.
Laura Harrison
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lost my mind for a moment when I discovered this gift book. Pretty, compact and intelligent book on mindfulness. I bought two already. I will probably buy one or two more during the holiday season. I just love it!
Swati
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Such a cute little book! It is essentially a book on mindfulness, on how to slow down and savour every moment presented in a delightfully humorous way. Perfect for what I call a cozy and quick read!
Allison
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very cute. My 2020 goal is to be more sloth-like :)
Kris Springer
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Adorable book about self acceptance and taking time to savor life and just chill.
Barbara
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sloth and the Hygge Lifestyle Fit Together Perfectly to Guide Us All

I never expected to come across this sweet little book when I did a search via my library system for books about the Hygge lifestyle. If you are new to the term Hygge it is pronounced Hooga. You’d think they could just spell it that way to make it easier to remember! Ha!

j_karlovska
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The Reading Rush 2019 Book #11
I'm not huge on self-help books or motivational books or whatever but this little book full of the most adorable illustrations of sloths was amazing. It was slightly ironic, funny and ultimately it will remind you that it's okay to have a nap in a messy apartment instead of cleaning when you feel like it, to order a chinese takeaway instead of cooking when you don't have the energy and to put off all your messages and emails for days and days. Because none of thes
Auderoy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
FAV QUOTES:

Sloths spend most of their time in trees. They really prefer nature to people. And that's part of the reason they're so relaxed, probably.

Embrace the art of slow reading: But we're not encouraged to read slowly. We're urged to consume micro-news every other minute in order to stay informed. We learn to skim headlines, instead of reading whole articles. We're challenged to read 100 books a year and keep track of our success in this endeavour online. We're obsessed with productivity at
Vania Velikova
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In conclusion: life is short - spend it doing things you love."

Such a simple yet important book about one of my most favourite animals. I think we have a lot to learn from sloths - they live a happy life, ignoring society's tendency to complicate simple everyday tasks and the glorification of business.
Matthew Aviles
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great and relaxing read. Picked it up due to my love of sloths, but this book truly sets some new points of view into action and really gets you thinking that with some more relaxation and going at your own pace, life becomes less stressful and less of a race.
Molly
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an adorable, easy take on philosophy. I bought it originally because it looked cute, especially on a bookshelf, but when I started reading it, it made me realize just how we as humans truly need to slow down. Wonderfully written, this is one of my favorite books now!
MandM
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m ready to take on the sloth philosophy, slowly and thoughtfully, at my own pace and time.
Dr_ficticity
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, I expected it to be 'lazy-appreciation' book but it's actually a cool life appreciation book ...more
Suman Kamat
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book.
Got to learn a lot lot things from The Sloth Philosophy.
A little book is a big book of excellent things to be followed.
Ancillar
I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to slow down and enjoy my life
Malaika
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining, whimsical read with some useful reminders on slowing down and chilling à la the laid back sloth. The little sloth illustrations are cool.
Emily
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Laura
This is such great way to end the year. It is a fun read that had some great Sloth facts! It also is a great reminder to slow down. I mean I am already pretty slow. Almost as slow as my idol the sloth, but not there yet. I expected this too be just cute and fluff, but it did have substance. Anyone who feels stressed or feels there is a moral obligation to keep up a hustle would do well to read this and remember sometimes the best time is sloth time.
Sarah Litchfield
I love Sloths so this book was a pure impulse buy because the cover was cute but it turned out to be a really good and uplifting read. Glad it's part of my book shelf now. ...more
Prisca A.
Dec 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sloths are my favourite animal, not just because they are super cute, but also because they embody the idea of taking it easy, which is my ultimate life goal. I own a sloth onesie, sloth phone cover, sloth bookmark, and many more sloth-related items, most of which were gifts from friends who know that deep down I am a sloth trapped inside a woman's body. Much like the other items, this book was given to me as a gift. Never have I been more sad for an author in my life (well, ok I've read more he ...more
Ayunda
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This small cute bookw as a Christmas gift from a friend, and she knows me so well that sloths embody me and my personality so much <3
This book is a combination of inspiration, tips, and even quizzes on living life like a sloth. Enjoying slow lifestyle, not rushing, living in the moment, and embracing imperfection. throughout the sections there are super cute illustrations and quotes that are just fun and make you smile.
Have I embraced the sloth philosophy in my life? Perhaps a little too much. A
Barbara Techel
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hygge is described as an ambiance as much as a state of mind based on Danish culture and design. Think chilly winter evening, candles lit, snuggled under a fuzzy blanket, with a good book or magazine, a cup of tea, or wine. Add t
Tanushri Indoria
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you tired of the rat race? Are you sick of answering your relatives about your career plans? Does the customisation of human brains on how to live, what to do, how to behave, when to do certain things, etc nauseates you? Irritated of people telling you for how many hours should you be sleeping?

Then, this book by Jennifer McCartney titled The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy (How to Live your Best Sloth Life) has been written for you.

This book encourages you to do away with the pressure that t
Ameesha
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Being honest, I bought this book because it’s little and cute, I like sloths, and I love philosophy. In short, it seemed like the perfect combo.

It is indeed little—readable in about an hour. While I do enjoy a short book, it feels a bit too short and rushed at times. Like the sloth, I wish the points had been made a little slower, with more content on each topic. It is very cute, and the illustrations throughout are sweet.

The main concept is “be more sloth”. We learn some key sloth lessons thr
Julia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Hmm.. unlike the majority of the readers I was kind of disappointed by this book. I wondered why this was made into a book at all as it read like several amateur blog posts squished together, being related to one another because apparently it is everything what sloths do.
I was hoping for some more in depth comparisons with a sloth life (because I like sloth, they are funny), but all I feel like the author was saying was: Do what you want, even if that means you do not work, get fired, smell bad
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Cute little giftie book that will be appreciated by those who already understand the importance of taking life easy and ignoring the media's demands, and ignored by those who most need its warning to slow down and notice life before it flashes past. Nice illustrations, but by the end it gets a bit repetitive and degenerates into the very lists of books to read, films to watch, and music to listen to that the author pretends to denigrate at the start of the book, in her rants about the dangers of ...more
Karen Mace
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect little book!! I think the whole world needs to embrace the Sloth Philosophy and I've thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon reading this and there's so much to take away from having a different approach to the frenetic, mad world we live in nowadays.

This book has a fun look at how we can all improve our wellbeing and outlook on life if we just take a few pointers from the Sloths of the world - and it all feels achievable! Just little mind changes and activities we can do that can really
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Sloth's Guide to Mindfulness
  • Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Love for Imperfect Things / The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down
  • Life in the Sloth Lane: Slow Down and Smell the Hibiscus
  • Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: For Everyone from Beginner to Pro
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • You Can Do All Things: Drawings, Affirmations and Mindfulness to Help With Anxiety and Depression
  • You're Smart, Strong and You Got This: Drawings, Affirmations, and Comfort to Help with Anxiety and Depression
  • Capture Your Style: Transform Your Instagram Photos, Showcase Your Life, and Build the Ultimate Platform
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • Conative Connection: Uncovering the Link Between Who You Are and How You Perform
  • Hygge: Unlock the Danish Art of Coziness and Happiness
  • The Sun Will Rise and So Will We
  • Love in the Afternoon
  • Be Your Own Heroine: Life lessons from literature
  • Cloud Physics
  • Dog Mom: A Love Story
Jennifer McCartney is a New York Times bestselling author. She is the author of numerous books including The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy, the novel Afloat; Cocktails for Drinkers; The Joy of Leaving Your Sh*t All Over the Place; and Poetry from Scratch. Her writing has been broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and appeared in The Atlantic, Vice Magazine, Teen Vogue, Curbed, Globe and Mail, and Publishers ...more

News & Interviews