Start by marking “The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy” as Want to Read:
The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy

The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy

Relax, unwind and soak up the wisdom of the sloth with the slowest page turner you’ll ever read.

From tidying and Hygge, to living Lagom, the endless pressure to be happier, live better, sleep soundly, and eat mindfully can be exhausting. But this year’s lifestyle trend finally delivers the perfect antidote – welcome to the year of the sloth.

Sloths are mindfulness in
Published October 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

Start your review of The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy
Montzalee Wittmann
How to slow down in life!

This cute little Sloth Philosophy book is not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a home book but this actually was more beneficial. It uses the sloth as a cute reminder to slow down and enjoy life. Lots of cute cartoon sloths.
Anima
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ‘sloth philosophy’ doesn’t mean to be lazy or move at a sluggish pace as the picture on the cover might suggest. Sloths move quickly if they want. It is their built in low metabolic rate the main reason they are not as active as other creatures. They are solitary and shy and are not affectionate to humans. It has been found that their sleep pattern is easily disturbed when people touch them.
In this context, the author beautifully builds the pathways of ‘sloth philosophy’ which I found to be
Charity
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable little read. Tries to teach you to slow down and enjoy life more. Random tidbits about Sloths. A cute, tiny coffee table book.
Laura Harrison
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lost my mind for a moment when I discovered this gift book. Pretty, compact and intelligent book on mindfulness. I bought two already. I will probably buy one or two more during the holiday season. I just love it!
Swati
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Such a cute little book! It is essentially a book on mindfulness, on how to slow down and savour every moment presented in a delightfully humorous way. Perfect for what I call a cozy and quick read!
j_karlovska
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
The Reading Rush 2019 Book #11
I'm not huge on self-help books or motivational books or whatever but this little book full of the most adorable illustrations of sloths was amazing. It was slightly ironic, funny and ultimately it will remind you that it's okay to have a nap in a messy apartment instead of cleaning when you feel like it, to order a chinese takeaway instead of cooking when you don't have the energy and to put off all your messages and emails for days and days. Because none of
Vania Velikova
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In conclusion: life is short - spend it doing things you love."

Such a simple yet important book about one of my most favourite animals. I think we have a lot to learn from sloths - they live a happy life, ignoring society's tendency to complicate simple everyday tasks and the glorification of business.
Auderoy Lin
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
FAV QUOTES:

Sloths spend most of their time in trees. They really prefer nature to people. And that's part of the reason they're so relaxed, probably.

Embrace the art of slow reading: But we're not encouraged to read slowly. We're urged to consume micro-news every other minute in order to stay informed. We learn to skim headlines, instead of reading whole articles. We're challenged to read 100 books a year and keep track of our success in this endeavour online. We're obsessed with productivity at
Matthew Aviles
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great and relaxing read. Picked it up due to my love of sloths, but this book truly sets some new points of view into action and really gets you thinking that with some more relaxation and going at your own pace, life becomes less stressful and less of a race.
Molly
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an adorable, easy take on philosophy. I bought it originally because it looked cute, especially on a bookshelf, but when I started reading it, it made me realize just how we as humans truly need to slow down. Wonderfully written, this is one of my favorite books now!
MandM
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m ready to take on the sloth philosophy, slowly and thoughtfully, at my own pace and time.
Sarah Litchfield
I love Sloths so this book was a pure impulse buy because the cover was cute but it turned out to be a really good and uplifting read. Glad it's part of my book shelf now.
Julia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Hmm.. unlike the majority of the readers I was kind of disappointed by this book. I wondered why this was made into a book at all as it read like several amateur blog posts squished together, being related to one another because apparently it is everything what sloths do.
I was hoping for some more in depth comparisons with a sloth life (because I like sloth, they are funny), but all I feel like the author was saying was: Do what you want, even if that means you do not work, get fired, smell
Ameesha
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Being honest, I bought this book because it’s little and cute, I like sloths, and I love philosophy. In short, it seemed like the perfect combo.

It is indeed little—readable in about an hour. While I do enjoy a short book, it feels a bit too short and rushed at times. Like the sloth, I wish the points had been made a little slower, with more content on each topic. It is very cute, and the illustrations throughout are sweet.

The main concept is “be more sloth”. We learn some key sloth lessons
Aubrey
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5/5.0

We live in a 'go go go' world. A world that emphasizes 'hustling' as a means of pursuing your dreams, bombarded with videos on productivity and given judgement for 'doing nothing.'

Don't get me wrong, I have dreams...lots of them. And it takes work but, as this book points out, slowing down can prove to be a much more beneficial path. Taking our time allows us the opportunity to be more present in every moment, to enjoy the journey (be it doing the dishes or writing that book we always
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Cute little giftie book that will be appreciated by those who already understand the importance of taking life easy and ignoring the media's demands, and ignored by those who most need its warning to slow down and notice life before it flashes past. Nice illustrations, but by the end it gets a bit repetitive and degenerates into the very lists of books to read, films to watch, and music to listen to that the author pretends to denigrate at the start of the book, in her rants about the dangers of ...more
Karen Mace
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect little book!! I think the whole world needs to embrace the Sloth Philosophy and I've thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon reading this and there's so much to take away from having a different approach to the frenetic, mad world we live in nowadays.

This book has a fun look at how we can all improve our wellbeing and outlook on life if we just take a few pointers from the Sloths of the world - and it all feels achievable! Just little mind changes and activities we can do that can really
Smitha Murthy
This is one of those cute books that somehow make their way to publishing. Not that this book shouldn’t be published, but I have noticed that we have a new genre here - an emerging genre of gentle, almost whimsical philosophy that is not too tough to grasp and is often adorable. Who ever said philosophy could be adorable?

Well, the sloths would have said that, Jennifer McCartney might write! I had read ‘The Tao Of Pooh’ last year, and this is in a similar vein. In an era where you feel guilty if
DoctorWoofWoof
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you live in America post-2016 (#notmypresident), there is a more fair amount of hate, deceit, and a lack of caring. It's a culture driven by "What's in it for me?" and "What can I buy next?". Cellphones, whether Android or iOs, are like augmentation of our hand, taking all our focus, leaving us mentally glued to them. a book like this couldn't have come out at a better time!

Sure, I am biased, as I have a great love/appreciation of sloths. Beyond the sloth aspect, the book has a great amount
rhys
This book was sooo extremely good! I absolutely loved and adored it. The pictures were really cute, and the sloth facts included in each new chapter/section were very informative and educational. Going into this book, I didn't expect to learn about sloths as much as I did, which I thought was a nice little bonus to it.

Everyday life is so fast-paced, especially because there's the mindset that being sleep-deprived and having a completely full, hectic schedule equates to being a successful person
Indy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sloth is slow, furry and cute. It has been a lot of people’s favourite animal. Yet, not a lot of people discover the life wisdom of this cutie.

Jennifer McCartney, probably a Scandinavian, teaches you how to live your best sloth life with lots of interesting facts about sloths and cute sloth illustrations - health and wellness, food and drink, sleep, leisure and pleasure, love and relationship, work and school, as well as beauty and self-care.

I love how the author wraps up concepts of hygge with
Megan (ReadingRover)
Meh. Cute but nothing I didn’t already know. I liked the layout but the quizzes were kind of dumb and didn’t really pertain to everyone. The basic just is to just chill out and slow down. Don’t be so stressed and in a rush all the time. Take time for yourself to relax. Not a horrible book but just not great. I didn’t feel like I really learned any new good ways to do these things. That’s what would have made this book good. Instead it was all the usual things. 2.5 stars rounded up because...I ...more
Eva
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved EVERYTHING about this little book. I have, since moving to the south, been a fan of the "Economy of Movement" train of thought when it comes to being outside -- especially in the summer months. I plan my outdoor business, don't rush about like a lunatic, organize my goings on in a logical (to me, at least!) fashion, and get things done. I get from point A to point B -- maybe not as fast as others do, but who cares?!

The benefit of alone time to think your thoughts and recharge
Nikki
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A darling little treasure! Great encouragement and insight in slowing down in life. Fun facts about people and sloths scattered throughout. There are some little quizzes I found to be a bit silly. But overall, reading this made me feel calmer, and looking at the sloth doodles made me smile. My biggest take away: Ask yourself “what’s the rush” when feeling overwhelmed and stressed. To the sloth life!!
Geli Iparis
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me less than a day to finish this book, and I think I’ve loved it so much because it was just what I needed to read. The book explains the meaning of “sloth philosophy” in a lot of different areas, such as health, work, sleep, relationships... The concepts were really basic but you need to remind yourself sometimes to calm down and relax, that’s why I thought it was helpful. If you want to read an easy and adorable book about mindfulness I’d highly recommend it!
Suzanne
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
What The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy ultimately tries to teach us in a humorous manner is that we need to enjoy the little things in life, including sleeping, eating, and breathing. It helps us be aware that sometimes, if you want to stop to smell the flowers, you have to change your schedule a bit in order to have time do it – and that’s a good thing. Almost anything is a good thing if it makes us a little bit happier and less stressed.
patrycja polczyk
I think this is going to be a book, that I'll be giving as a gift to everyone :) Not that it's so deep and profound, but because it shows how to live simply. It's also funny and short. Perfect for reading in pieces or as a whole. Illustrations are super cute, too. And there's of course sloth - most adorable role model ever. He lives his life slowly, but that's the point - take your time, be good to yourself, screw what others think.
So you know - live slow die whenever.
Great stuff!
Nova
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this cute book.
i received it as a gift from my daughter.

It shares ideas "to live your best sloth life." Sloths have a lot to teach us about how to spend our lives. Sloths have much to show us: they teach us to slow down, be more mindful, resist pressures put on us by society, be more productive, and to do things we love.

This is written in a way that is easy to read and has the cutest illustrations.
gen :)
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
it was good but i’m weak so i doubt i’ll apply it all to my life. however there were some small nice bits i wanna incorporate into my everyday life. i’d recommend it if youre too obsessed with your online presence or if you’re constantly on edge about things or if you just need a solid reminder that it’s okay to give up on things sometimes. :)
Marisol Montano
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don’t typically read these types of books but I found this one to be really enjoyable. The illustrations are also adorable. It was a well-timed read that has reminded me that sometimes I just need to stop and take a deep breath.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Slothilda: Living the Sloth Life
  • Life in the Sloth Lane: Slow Down and Smell the Hibiscus
  • A Sloth's Guide to Mindfulness (Mindfulness Books, Spiritual Self-Help Book, Funny Meditation Books)
  • I Really Didn't Think This Through: Tales from My So-Called Adult Life
  • The Sea Close By
  • So You Think You're a Bookworm?: Over 20 hilarious profiles of book lovers—from sci-fi fanatics to romance readers
  • If My Dogs Were a Pair of Middle-Aged Men
  • The Day Is Ready for You
  • Great Goddesses: Life Lessons from Myths and Monsters
  • Here Comes Santa Paws (Melanie Travis, #24)
  • 1001 Things Everyone Over 55 Should Know
  • Against the Odds: Tales of Achievement
  • How Chefs Holiday
  • Sloth Slept On
  • Five Wishes: How Answering One Simple Question Can Make Your Dreams Come True
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
  • Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification
Jennifer McCartney is a New York Times bestselling author. She is the author of numerous books including The Little Book of Sloth Philosophy, the novel Afloat; Cocktails for Drinkers; The Joy of Leaving Your Sh*t All Over the Place; and Poetry from Scratch. Her writing has been broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and appeared in The Atlantic, Vice Magazine, Teen Vogue, Curbed, Globe and Mail, and Publishers ...more