Start by marking “Alice in Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Wonderland

Read Book* *Different edition

Alice in Wonderland

(Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  279,228 ratings  ·  10,988 reviews
With an Introduction and Notes by Michael Irwin, Professor of English Literature, University of Kent at Canterbury.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Mad Hatter, the Cheshire Cat, the Red Queen and the White Rabbit all make their appearances, and are now familiar figures in writing, conversation and idiom. So too are Carroll's delightful verses such as The Walrus and the
Published September 7th 2018 by Wordsworth Editions (first published November 1st 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Wonderland, please sign up.
Timothy Miyahara German and English set side-by-side so you may learn either language if you know one of them.

·  279,228 ratings  ·  10,988 reviews

Start your review of Alice in Wonderland
Manny
"Good gracious!" said Alice, "I do believe I'm inside a review!"

She turned to the Hatter and the March Hare.

"Well, let me see. Here is the title, and here is the date I read it. That must be today. Now I need to explain the plot and the overall point."

"There is no plot," said the March Hare disagreeably.

"And there is no point," agreed the Hatter.

He poured a little hot tea on the Dormouse's nose, making it wake with a start.

"The book breaks new ground," it said rapidly in a high, sing-song voi
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
*Reread July 2017*
Reread this for booktube-a-thon 2017 just because I was falling behind. Obviously I loved it (again).

*Reread January 2016*
Read for the school this time and I read the Puffin In Bloom edition. I loved the new illustrations!
emma
when I find myself in times of trouble
Lewis Carroll comes to me
speaking words of wisdom
"just reread"

------------

THIS IS MY FAVORITE BOOK.

No qualifier. No excuse. No “one of my favorites.” This one is it, y’all.

Well, also Through the Looking Glass. But THAT’S PRACTICALLY THE SECOND HALF OF THE SAME BOOK. (And other examples of my inability to make decisions or commit in any way to anything.)

I currently have 18 copies of this book. I’ve attempted to read it
Miranda Reads
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
Old books get a bad rap...but do they deserve it? Check out my latest BooktTube Video - all about the fabulous (and not so fabulous) Olde Boies.

The Written Review

I should've read this one sooner
“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
I needed an adequate amount of nostalgia to guide me through this level of crazy.
Little Alice fell
bumped her head
and b
Ahmad Sharabiani
868. Alice’s Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (commonly shortened to Alice in Wonderland) is an 1865 novel written by English author Charles Lutwidge Dodgson over the pseudonym Lewis Carroll.

It tells of a girl named Alice falling through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures.

The tale plays with logic, giving the story lasting popularity with adults as well as with children. It is considered to be one of the be
Ruby Granger
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curiouser and curiouser... Is there anything more wonderful than a nonsensical world of childlike fancy?
Luca Ambrosino
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
English (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) / Italiano

«Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, “and what is the use of a book,” thought Alice, “ without pictures or conversations ?”»

Right from the beginning and from the first assertion of Alice, we understand that her thoughts encapsulate hard truth that make us smile fo

J.L.   Sutton
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then"

3rd read: The quote struck me as appropriate to the world we're living in now. Not only have we changed, but the world has changed in the last few days and weeks. I guess these kind of observations are what I get from reading Alice in Wonderland during a pandemic! That said, this reading (actually an audible reading from Scarlett Johansson who did a fantastic job) reinforced the timeless quality of Lewis Carroll's celebr
Chloe
3rd read: 22-23 July 2019 (Audiobook)
★★★★★
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
Unpopular Opinion

This took me a long time to get through...I found it sometimes tedious to be quite honest. Sorry. I guess I just don't love the nonsensical fun of this as much as everyone else seems to love it.

I enjoyed the pictures and I really liked this edition and I enjoyed it well enough, but as I said, I just don't love it as much as a lot of others do.
Peter
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
What a classic. I read this book so many years ago that I wanted to have a close look at it again (okay a tea caddy with a quote from this novel inspired me for a re-reading to be honest). Well, Alice's marvelous adventures will never turn old. So many great characters she meets here (LOL about the Cheshire cat or the Mad Hatter), so many allusions and memorable settings. Lovely book. A bit weird but with humor and situations I still love as much as I did as a kid. Today I see the book from a di ...more
Sean Barrs
“If you knew Time as well as I do,’ said the Hatter, ‘you wouldn’t talk about wasting it.

There are so many great things to say about this story. For me, as a work of fantasy, it is on par with The Chronicles of Narnia, Peter Pan and The Wizard of Oz in terms of its creative imagination.

These stories seem to centre on the idea of escape, escape from a boring reality in which the protagonist enters a world of exciting, and sometimes terrifying, adventure as they walk away from their
Ilse
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk
Alice-Wonderland12

“Well, I should like to be a little larger, sir,
if you wouldn’t mind,” said Alice : “ three inches
is such a wretched height to be.”
“It is a very good height indeed !” said the
Caterpillar angrily, rearing itself upright as it
spoke (it was exactly three inches high).

Today, reading a friend’s review on Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass, I searched the garden shed for an edition of Alice in Wonderland illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger which I read ages ago, to have anothe
Johann (jobis89)
"We're all mad here"

I'm not going to insult your intelligence by giving a plot summary for this book as I think every person on the planet knows the premise. However, for the sake of completion and satisfying my OCD tendencies... Alice is a young girl who falls through a rabbit hole into a fantasy world, meeting lots of weird and peculiar characters. And that's it.

Well, the Mad Hatter isn't wrong. I started this book excited at the premise of reading a classic that I don't recall ever having rea
Petra-X is getting covered in Soufriere ash
This book makes perfect sense if you had a misspent youth and went in for psychedelic substances. Just as Lewis Carroll undoubtedly did. Well he certainly liked opium.

If you ever tripped out getting bigger and smaller, things that half disappear in the air and inanimate objects suddenly coming to life were part of the fun of the trip.

Lewis Carroll wrote Alice as a children's fantasy, but I believe he and his friends must have had a quiet smile at no one guessing the source of his inspiration. Or
James
Having just finished Alice in Wonderland, the first thing that occurs to me is that I wish I had read it years ago. I've known the story of Alice for years thanks to Disney and the Mad Hatter on Batman, but for some reason I didn't get around to reading this as a child. While I expected to like it, I never realized what a joy this book would be.

Carroll was a logician, so it should come as no surprise that he uses his expertise in that field to create many hilarious logical fallacies. But what i
Leo .
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why Alice! What Adventures you have had?

Happy, fun, perilous, enlightening, sometimes sad

A man, in a Hat, scatty, as a rabid bat

A Mouse, a crazy Hare, and Twins that are Fat

Irena BookDustMagic
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
description

I think it was a good choice for me to reread one of my favorite childhood stories before I read the one I really wanted to: Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

When I was a little girl I LOVED the Disney movie and, since this book has some different aspects, it is no wonder I find the movie to be better.
However, it was still a really enjoyable ride everytime I read it.

description
Everlasting quotes are the reason this book is classic, and I love them all!

description
I have always wondered what inspir
Gary
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice In Wonderland is a particularly rich and whimsical story, with something new to discover in every reading.
Alice herself is quite a character, and is able to stand up for herself against the strange and seemingly illogical world of wonderland. As she comes across each of the weird and wonderful creatures - like the White Rabbit, the Duchess and Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar, the March Hare, Mad Hatter and Doormouse, the Gryphon and Mock Turtle, and the Queen and her court (as the Gryphon re
Emily May
I'm still not sure whether I think Lewis Carroll created a fantastic piece of fantasy or a great big pile of nonsense. I suspect it's a combination of the two. I like some of Alice's adventures - really, how could I not? - but Wonderland was always leaning a bit towards the negative side of bizarre for me. ...more
Matthew
If I didn't already know the story and the basic plot points of Alice in Wonderland from movies, books, and other pop culture retellings, I think this book would have been very confusing. I didn't realize how short the Wonderland part of Alice's story is so, despite the bizarre writing, it was a pretty quick read. In fact, if you are really into fairy tales, I imagine this could be a one sitting book.

The intro to the book mentioned this being psychedelic fiction. Having grown up frequently seein
Evgeny
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A group read with my buddies. I am proud of the fact that I managed to bring one of them in, kicking and screaming (Hi, Elena!)

Crazy
"How doth the little crocodile
Improve his shining tail,
And pour the waters of the Nile
On every golden scale!
How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!"

I wonder if there is any person calling himself/herself/itself a reader who has no clue about this book. In case you have not (for example as a result
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Love the book! Love the cover! Love the graphics!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Saadia B. ||  CritiConscience
Alice finds herself in a Wonderland when she follows the rabbit down the hole. There she meets a lot of characters, some helpful while others plain evil. In her Wonderland, everyone has a story and a lesson to teach.

Loved the Cheshire Cat and the Hatter most as both are different, quirky and honest - making all the sense in the world with their nonsense.

Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | LinkedIn
Michael Finocchiaro
You may have seen the Disney film or been to a play, but most everyone growing up in a Western European-based culture has had some contact in some form with Alice and her adventures. I cannot recommend high enough actually reading Lewis Carroll's superb book written for his daughter Alice's bedtime story. There is a lovely innocence to Alice and a startling and surprising freshness to all the creatures and characters she meets. It does sometimes feel like an acid trip, but then so does Charlie a ...more
Angelica
I'm not sure what I just read. I don't know if this was totally brilliant or absolute nonsense.

Oh well.
Stacy
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this, and being read by Michael York and a distinctive touch.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is popularly known to many as a children's book, and Lewis Carroll admitted to writing it for the little girls of the Dean of the college he taught at. A quote from C. S. Lewis, in The Three Ways of Writing For Children (1952), "A children's story which is enjoyed only by children is a bad children's story. The good ones last, because a children's story is the best art-form for somethi
karen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
these are my favorite illustrations for alice...
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
I honestly dont know what to rate it bc I dont even know how I feel about this. I am bitter about certain aspects but then I wonder why am I bitter about them when I have clearly seen weirder shit in some other books? Why does this make me feel any different?
If anything this book encourages the imagination to grow!
I hate Alice tho...she's annoying than all the adults in A series of Unfortunate events put together!

------
Read this more than a decade ago and dont remember a single thing.
Rereading t
Aahana ♥
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that needs no introduction.

Down and down the rabbit hole went Alice, where nothing was really impossible

I know it is supposed to be a children's classic, but I think I'll read it forever, even when I'm an adult. Because I think the message it gives is so important:
For you see so many out of the way things had happened lately that Alice had begun to think that very few things indeed were really impossible
You get my point. Just read it XD

↠ 𝟓 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬
Great Books for Thinkers and Seekers 1 6 Feb 05, 2021 03:00PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new edition 3 11 Oct 16, 2020 02:45AM
Another World Boo...: August 2020 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll 6 6 Sep 01, 2020 12:16PM
Teens Monthly Boo...: #6 Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Apr '20 33 30 Apr 21, 2020 06:34PM
NIOS Admission- SVITM 1 5 Oct 30, 2019 12:11AM

• The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1)
  • Peter Pan
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The Little Prince
  • Bearstone: With Related Readings (Glencoe Literature Library, #8)
  • The Secret Garden
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • The Velveteen Rabbit
  • The Lorax
  • James and the Giant Peach
  • Matilda
  • The Witches
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • The BFG
  • Chaucer's Canterbury Tales
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Sadie Sprocket Builds a Rocket
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (2 books)

Articles featuring this book

Journalist and historian Craig Fehrman's new book, Author in Chief, tells the story of America’s presidents as authors—and offers a new window...
“And what is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or conversation?” 441 likes
“In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.” 281 likes