Start by marking “The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)

The Queen of Attolia

(The Queen's Thief #2)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  31,233 ratings  ·  3,090 reviews
Revenge
When Eugenides, the Thief of Eddis, stole Hamiathes's Gift, the Queen of Attolia lost more than a mythical relic. She lost face. Everyone knew that Eugenides had outwitted and escaped her. To restore her reputation and reassert her power, the Queen of Attolia will go to any length and accept any help that is offered...she will risk her country to execute the perfect
Published January 24th 2006 by Eos (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Attolia, please sign up.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ AAAHHH! No, you really shouldn't do that! Go find yourself a copy of The Thief, asap. I promise you'll be happy that you did. This is a fantastic…moreAAAHHH! No, you really shouldn't do that! Go find yourself a copy of The Thief, asap. I promise you'll be happy that you did. This is a fantastic series but is one of those that you really need to read in order, because Huge. Spoilers.(less)
Katerina I have given it much thought. In my head he is around 18-19, though at 18 or 19 he can hardly be described as a boy! For some reason, when I try to…moreI have given it much thought. In my head he is around 18-19, though at 18 or 19 he can hardly be described as a boy! For some reason, when I try to think of him as younger, I feel uneasy... It might just be me though!(less)
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
590 books — 1,233 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
3,109 books — 17,041 voters

More lists with this book...

·  31,233 ratings  ·  3,090 reviews

Emily May
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana, Catie
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2011

Now I finally understand why everyone seems to like this book so much more than the first. You see, The Thief is a wonderful little book filled with excellent writing, an interesting protagonist, an exciting fantasy world and a great big twist near the end. The Queen of Attolia had all of this, but it just had more of everything. It was everything I loved about the first book... on steroids.

Every character and every sentence - damn it, every word even! - is important, serves it's own purpose an
Tatiana
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kristin Cashore
Update 1/6/19

This may be my book soulmate.

Original review

If I were ever to write a book, this is the one I would want to see my name on. I am not very good at writing positive reviews, so this will probably sound cheesy, but I totally loved every word, every sentence of this story!

"The Queen of Attolia" is a second book in Megan Whalen Turner's series about the Thief of Eddis Eugenides. I moderately liked the first book, mostly for its conciseness and intricate world-building rooted in Greek his
❄️Nani❄️
Long overdue for a reread.

Gen, my one and only, we meet again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want to climb on the highest rooftop and scream at the top of my lungs - I LOVE THIS MAGNIFICENT SERIES WITH EVERY FIBRE OF MY BEING! but I feel even that won't do my feelings—and this series—justice.

Give me a fantasy/fantasy-esque book with heavy political intrigue and you’ve got my undivided attention.
Reading a novel filled with court intrigue, heavy conflicts - more behind the scenes conniving an
Elise (TheBookishActress)
If I am the pawn of the gods, it is because they know me so well, not because they make my mind up for me.

Okay, wow, this was... way better than book one.

I love how this one plays around with point of view, showing us both Eugenides’ views on Attolia and Attolia’s view on Eugenides: it’s an excellent view into both of their characters. While I think Whalen Turner occasionally relies too much on not letting you into the head of a character so she can execute a plot twist, we still get an exce
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YOU THERE
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: the whole world, it seems

[Edited with my favorite SPOILERISH quotes - hidden behind a spoiler tag, because I'm not a monster]

4.5 stars, rounded up because...well, if you must know, because Eugenides. Hellooo, name's Anna, I just finished The Queen of Attolia and my mind is utterly blank.

I'd say I'm speechless, but everyone knows that I always confuse talking with breathing so nope, not happening. However I am genuinely sorry but I don't think I'll be able - or even want to - put my thoughts into words this time. First
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
$1.99 Kindle sale, Feb. 10, 2019. This is the great but hard-hitting sequel to The Thief (which, fair warning, you absolutely need to read first). This is a fantastic fantasy series, with a strong flavor of Ancient Greek mythology and life. The gods are real and they care, in a remote way, but they can be cruel. My highest recommendation for this series! If you haven’t read it, you’re missing out!

Review posted at www.fantasyliterature.com:

Megan Whalen Turner’s The Queen of Attolia, the second bo
Jo
Oh my god.

Honest to goodness spoiler lies within.

(view spoiler)

And if that isn't the most perfect, gut-wrenching way to finish a book, I don't know what is.

I'm n
Catie
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was even better the second time around, and I'm so thrilled that I get to see Kamet again in the new book! He really does deserve his own story.

Original Review:

When I finished reading The Thief, I expressed some hope that the next books in the series would have a faster pace. Well, this is me eating those words. As far as I’m concerned, she can be as slow as she wants! The Queen of Attolia is a book to be savored. It is beautiful and rich, with complex, suffering, gorgeous characters that I
Eryn
2.5/5 Stars

Well, I gave it a go and continued on with this series, with the hope that my 3 star rating for The Thief would be higher with this second novel. Heck, I expected a higher rating, because people kept on telling me, "The second book is loads better!" And? Was it? Well. To me, sorry to say, but it really wasn't. So, I guess I'm in the minority, once again.

What the first novel in this series had, that The Queen of Attolia lacked, (to name a few) were: lively characters, an exiting advent
Bibi
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love this book- and series, it helps that Ms Turner wrote one of the best (and adorable) male leads ever.
Limonessa
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya-lit
I elected Froi as my favorite male character of the year for 2011, but Eugenides definitely gets second place.

The Queen of Attolia is the second book in The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner and in this review THERE WILL be spoilers. If you haven't read the first book, The Thief, I strongly suggest you not to continue reading this.

I think that, if you liked The Thief, you'll probably like this book even more. I'd rather not get into the synopsis to leave all details undiscovered but
Lightreads
Well well! So our pleasant, feather-brained little fantasy romp grew a bigger, bitchiner sequel. Turner made the very good choice of switching from first person to roaming third, and tossed us straight in to political intrigue and war and post trauma.

So – and, frankly, this is one of those spoilers that has to be revealed because talking about the book without it is like talking about Harry Potter without talking about magic . . . this sentence was going somewhere. Since when is drunk reviewing
Gavin
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just like the first book in the series The Queen of Attolia was a decent old school coming of age YA fantasy story. The world was heavily inspired by Greek mythology. Even to the point of sharing some of that same mythology! The story mixed action, political intrigue, and adventure but ended up being told at a fairly sedate pace.

The plot and story in this sequel was engaging enough. Gen has gained a bit of fame after his exploits in the first book but he needs his wits as well as his spying and
Robin (Bridge Four)
4.25 Gen Stole My Heart Stars

I had a great time reading this with a few friends at Buddies Books & Baubles

I liked The Thief it was a solid 3 star read, it took a little while to get into but the ending was very solid. The Queen of Attolia though….well let’s just say that it had some very unexpected and crazy surprises in store for me. It was so much better than the first book with complex characters and more than one twist I wasn’t expecting. I really love it when a book blindsides me with
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
I really wanted to like this book. I really did. I loved the first one, you know. I thought Gen was hilarious and really someone I'd like to have around with - even if he was annoying.

The Queen of Attolia started out really good. I really was not expecting anything like that to happen. It was very surprising and I almost thought it was a dream. Where the first book had twists that had me smiling and gaping, this one had few. It was just ok. Eugenides had grown and changed so much that the only r
Vinaya
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Vinaya by: Tatiana G.
I have such mixed feelings about this book. I can't deny that it's an amazing book, but at times, I just wanted to throw it away and howl in frustration -- not because any of the characters were misbehaving, but because of the twists and the turns and all the bad things that I don't like happening to anyone. I think I should never write a book, ever, because I hate doing unpleasant things to my characters, and as for killing off characters I like -- forget it!

The Queen of Attolia is one hell of
Iris
2.5

Edit: I originally rated this 3 stars, but... This book was just SO disappointing, so I'm bringing it down to 2.5. I just... don't even know what was this book. It was REALLY disappointing.

Ummm... What on earth was this book? I enjoyed it, but... It was really all over the place. And it was significantly worse than the first book. And just... What even happened here?!

Likes

- Gen is a likeable MC.
- Eddis is amazing!
- I really like the Magus... and, um... the role he played in this one was ver
Nariman
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't say anything about this book that would give it its worth or express how it affected me , the rating and putting the book in my favorites tells you very well how much I loved this book and loved every thing in it , and I don't know how to write reviews about the books I love anyway.....
All I want to say is : this story in the hands of any other writer would've been much much longer , I am amazed at Megan Whalen Turner's ability to use the exact amount of words that can deliver the most e
mich
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
”You aren’t the boy hero anymore.”
“Was I ever?”
If you're familiar at all with this series, then you'll have already heard that this book is way better than the first one. But I'll just confirm it again anyway - cuz it IS. So much better.

This is the story of two young, intelligent queens, Eddis and Attolia; it is a story full of political maneuvering and plays for power, of military strategizing and cunning. And in the midst of it all is Eugenides, the Queen’s Thief, who, true to form, will su
Giovanna
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read, favorites
“He lies to himself. If Eugenides talked in his sleep, he'd lie then, too."

I liked The Thief but at the same time I didn't love it. Sure, it was a good start but I was curious to see why The queen of Attolia has such a high rating. Well...I understand now. The queen of Attolia is ten times better than the first one. The character development, the plot: cleverly done, well written, if I had more time I would have read this one in a sitting.

Gen goes through so much; he started as a clever but als
Natalie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, book-boys
This was mind-bendingly good: rich and intricate, capable of conjuring up more twists and turns in 300 pages than some books do in 500, full of knotty characters, and with a surprising romance that I found myself infinitely more invested in than I could ever have guessed from the first book.
Nomes
Aug 07, 2011 rated it liked it
It is easy for me to see why this is a beloved book for so many people. It is intelligent, clever, twist-y, tightly written and has many gasp-did-that-just-happen moments. It also has strong, admirable characters and a tortured, brave hero in Gen. It's the kind of fantasy not just written for teens, but smart enough to stand outside the YA genre on it's own.

As for me, I have the lowest rating out of all my friends on here O.o

What can I say? It's a book worthy of 5 stars, for sure. But I never ra
Justine
And the read-along continues,

After the events in The Thief. I felt detached someway with the series, but as like I always do when a possible slump is coming up, I would read reviews or spoil myself with the book I wanted to read. I succeeded in that order. I may, umm, have peek into the last page of The Queen of Attolia. AND, PHEW, AM I SHAKEN. GOOD. To pick it up and finally be up to date and ahead of the read-along group. Sorry, I am not sorry.

The world building has expanded more, which made i
Helen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
4.5 STARS

What a step up from The Thief! While I was massively underwhelmed by the first book’s attempt at a plot, the Queen of Attolia is an example of plotting at its finest. It had everything I felt was lacking in the first novel, while retaining what I loved, namely the complex and distinct characters. The writing was punchy and concise, and managed to cover a huge amount of plot in only 350 pages. This is no fluffy, romance-heavy fantasy novel – thank the Lord - but a novel centred around
Melissa McShane
This powerful sequel to The Thief is one of my very favorite books. Powerful and unflinching, it touches on topics like revenge, hatred, love, and forgiveness in a compelling story I love re-reading--though not very often, because it's neither simple nor superficial in the telling.

I'm putting the rest in spoiler territory because I don't want to keep track of what is and is not a spoiler, and the spoilers happen really early in the book. If you haven't read the book, please do.

(view spoiler)
Max
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Phee
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
A great case of the sequel surpassing the first book.

I can’t talk about any of the plot for this book without completely spoiling book one. And part of the beauty of these books is the clever plot.
So instead I will talk about the characters, which in this book are many faceted and much more developed. We again follow our charming little thief Eugenides from book one and we also follow the Queen of Eddis and the Queen of Attolia. There are other characters but these are the main ones we follow.
Angie
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I just...wow. Talk about a sequel. In fact, I'm pretty sure that as sequels go The Queen of Attolia should be the standard textbook in a class entirely devoted to how to write a killer sequel. The kind of sequel that will leave your readers completely unable to contain their glee at how it was just as good as they weren't daring to hope it would be. The kind that makes them keep their husbands up at night expounding upon the splendor that is such a sequel.

A note on the cover: I truly love
Bipasha
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Steal peace, Eugenides"
Approximately 150~ pages later...
"You were the princess Irene the first time we met."
"It means peace."

BOO-YAH. IN YO FACE.
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2)
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters, #1)
  • Bones of the Fair (Darest, #2)
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • The Kestrel
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • The Perilous Gard
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
Megan Whalen Turner is the author of short stories and novels for children, teenagers and adults. She has won the LA Times Book Award for Young Adult LIterature, a Boston Globe/ Horn Book Honor and a Newbery Honor. She won the Mythopoeic Award and was shortlisted twice for the Andre Norton Award.

The Queen's Thief (6 books)
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • Thick as Thieves (The Queen's Thief, #5)
  • Return of the Thief (The Queen's Thief, #6)
“I'll be your minister--"
"Of the exchequer? You'd rob me blind."
"I would never steal from you," he'd said hotly.
"Oh? Where is my tourmaline necklace? Where are my missing earrings?"
"That necklace was hideous. It was the only way to keep you from wearing it."
"My earrings?"
"What earrings?”
257 likes
“He could tell her he loved her. He ached to shout it out loud for the gods and everyone to hear. Little good it would do. Better to trust in the moon's promises than in the word of the Thief of Eddis. He was famous in three countries for his lies.” 236 likes