Start by marking “Teaching The Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style” as Want to Read:
Teaching The Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style

Teaching The Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style

How can you give your children the tools they need to teach themselves? Long ago students were first taught how to learn. Today, students are taught an encyclopedia of subjects but they are not taught the basic skills of learning: to discover, to reason, and to apply. They are not taught the trivium.

Can you homeschool in a classical style without compromising your Christia
Published May 1st 2001 by Trivium Pursuit

To ask other readers questions about Teaching The Trivium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching The Trivium

Start your review of Teaching The Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
Amy
Jul 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
I disliked the rhetoric and tone of the authors' writing in this book so much I eventually just gave up. I gave it a couple hundred pages, but just was too frustrated with their tone and style to keep plowing on. There may be some good advice in the midst of their arguments, but I strongly disagree with their take on why we homeschool and what God's Word commands regarding education. The tone of condescension and attitude of knowing the one right way to think about education, for me, invalidates ...more
Ashley
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is rich! The tone is informative with a hint of sass, bold, honest, and consistent. I have been encouraged, challenged, and inspired in our home education after reading!
Leonardo Bruno
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A publicação desse livro chegou em boa hora, uma vez que um número cada vez maior de famílias tem aderido ao Homeschooling no Brasil. O casal Bluedorn, aqui nesse primeiro volume, nos oferece os fundamentos teóricos e teológicos do Trivium. Não é nenhuma obra definitiva sobre o assunto, mas certamente é um ótimo guia para as famílias cristãs que optarem por assumir a educação total de seus filhos.
Leitura altamente recomendada!
Davey Ermold
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-education
This book is a must-read -- I repeat, a MUST-READ -- for any parent of school-age children (whether or not they teach their children at home), as well as classroom educators. It's lengthy, but accessible. I actually had a difficult time putting the book down!

For the home-educating parent, the Bluedorns present a philosophy of classical education that needs to be considered. If nothing else, you will be given an intact system with which to agree or disagree; to accept wholeheartedly or adapt to t
Nicole
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While I don’t agree with every single thing in this book and I think at times the tone about secondary issues is a little too harsh, it has a lot of wisdom, encouragement, and help for homeschoolers. Be prepared to not agree with everything and even to be offended by tone at times, but do listen to their wisdom and you have something to gain here.
Ann
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good reference for Classical Homeschool Education. I must be honest: it was a bit overwhelming for me, but helpful in clarifying that I am probably not going to follow this method of education in our homeschool. It is great to have a place to go if we wish to start learning Greek in our homeschool or following a more rigorous memorization schedule.

A friend of mine loaned this book to me, mainly recommending the eleventh chapter: "The Early Knowledge Level: Ten Things to do Before Age
Maryrobin G
May 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone thinking about how to give their child the best education
Okay, so I have wanted to give my kids the best education and have been reading since Zoe was born on how to do so. I started in a lot of theory, Montisorri, Piaget, the Moores, Charlotte Mason, some Plato and Aristotle. It was good to get a grip on what education is and how children learn. What I found: children learn best in home or home like environments, with one teacher through many years, with one on one tutoring, and with challenges as they develop to the next stage - but not before, led ...more
Clarissa
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I did not expect to enjoy this book. I am not at all interested in The Well Trained Mind (okay...I'm interested in having a well-trained mind, just not in teaching by the very structured "classical method" to which they subscribe).
But, I was utterly surprised and delighted by this book. I loved it. I am purchasing my own copy because I NEED to highlight many, many things! It was encouraging and inspiring. I even contacted the author with a further question and was invited to call her to discuss
Yolanda
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A good resource for some basics in classical homeschooling if you can laugh through the attitude of ego that comes through the writing.
Melissa
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I checked this book out on inter-Library loan so I only had 3 weeks to read it, no renewing, and I'm very sad that I have to take it back today after only making it through about half of the 600+ pages. It is similar in principles and methodology to Thomas Jefferson Education, although a bit more structured. The thing I really love is that it has a HUGE focus on Christian teaching, i.e. teaching the Bible, Christian principles, and emphasising the relationship between GOD and everything around u ...more
Elisa
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After much searching, this book outlines exactly how I want our School to be run. I also loved The Thomas Jefferson approch, and Charlotte Mason principles. This book puts the two together, which is exactly what I was studying on how to do. There is structure, for "lax learning lacks learning". There is also freedom to study the afternoon away in any way we choose.
Basically, leaning happens in stages, as the child matures. More is expected the older they get, though not enough to stifle them.
Vanessa Pebley
Apr 28, 2015 rated it liked it
While somewhat helpful in regards to classical education, the author's tone was incredibly condescending. As a Christian woman, I believe God calls each of His children to various paths, and the decision to homeschool is no different. The author is under the delusion that he knows the will of God for all parents and all children everywhere. He believes that homeschooling is not only superior, but the only educational path with Divine approval. How obnoxious! And incorrect! Frankly, many children ...more
Leah Douglas
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of helpful stuff in here and I hope to own this book eventually if we do end up homeschooling outside of a university model school. I think there is a lot of wisdom in waiting until your child is 8 or 10 before diving hard core into real school work and using those earlier years to just really really work on character issues and self discipline. I also think that school can be used as a tool in those areas too. But yeah. The Bluedorns make things a little too clear cut, when they'r ...more
Nancy
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 370-home-school
I gave this book a chance and was so tired of hearing his condescending tone that I quit. His content seemed to circle around and around before getting to his point. I disagree with his application of God's Word as to why he believes in homeschooling. I have arrived at his same conclusion; we love God, we classically homeschool because it is best for our family. I do not believe that everyone needs to homeschool to be obedient to God. There are better, more encouraging, less self-righteous books ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read through this book, sans the appendices once and re-read seperate chapters a few times. I like the straightforwardness style of writing and how the book is organized. The Appendices have an overwhelming amount of extra information and resources for home education in the Classical model - with Jesus as the center.

This book has helped me to organize myself, organize my time and is still helping me design how I educate my children. I will continue to read from it, as it is organized by a
Lis Candelier
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
It's a hard read. At least it was for me. As someone who recently began seriously contemplating homeschooling my child, it was not a good first book to start with. It felt overwhelming and I was being given too much information at once. So just that warning, and why I gave it four stars.

Nonetheless, it gave a good sense of why one should homeschool as a Christian parent. I also loved the examples of texts and daily schedules it gave. It THOROUGHLY explained the Trivium. The information I could g
Wendy
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschool
So far: fundamental/legalistic tone, emphasis on homeschooling being God's ordained order and that anything else is going outside of God's order and therefore will not be blessed by God. Statement about evolution being "mythology disguised as science" totally discredits the kind of intellectual reasoning that they claim to support. Very anti-government, frequently referring to it as the "socialist state".
Jennifer Covington
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When a friend gave me this book to read, I though, ugh. It looks awful and boring and huge and all about a topic I didn't believe I was all that interested in anyway. She insisted I try it, and I am so thankful I did! It's an excellent book about how children learn and now to HS to that ability. We've hs'ed for 12 years now, so this wasn't something that I came to untested. Excellent and inspiring.
Angie Libert
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of classical education, but find that the ideas do not always fit well in a homeschooling environment. The Bluedorn's help to fill that gap between classical education and homeschooling. I find their experience and knowledge inspiring and refreshing. This is a book that I have read several times, and will continue to read and use as a resource.
Kim Goodwin
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the description of a classical foundation and how the subjects taught should progress with age. However, the authors' views were FAR more conservative than my own. Most of the time it was just annoying, but by the last chapter I was downright angry.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A FULL description of the classical model of education. And I love that it has a Christian view of how to approach educating classically. A long read, but an educating one that will leave you feeling confident on your classical education journey!
SingingK
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Some useful tips, buried in a whole pile of platitudes. I can appreciate authors that take a position and hold to it, but they didn't fully convince me. Because their tone was overbearing and patronizing, I had a hard time receiving the good parts of their message.
Karen (Living Unabridged)
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
The word that comes to mind is "comprehensive". There is so much information packed into this one volume. Great to read before starting a new homeschool year.

Did I agree with everything? No, certainly not. But I appreciate the good sense and timely reminders that apply to our homeschool.
Kaecey McCormick
Feb 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ugh.
Christian
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Classical Model...Christian perspective...'nuff said!
Elaine
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book we follow for homeschooling. I love it!
Amy
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I learned so much from reading this book! So much so... that it has helped change and shape my educational views for my children. This is a must read for christian homeschoolers.
Craigandbarbara
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love this book.

Deanna
Really enjoyed. Lots of great thoughts. Working some ideas over. After some time will probably raise the rating.
Fivewincs
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource! The first section is why, Biblically, you should home school. The second part is how.

• Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • Future Men: Raising Boys to Fight Giants
  • Seven Women: And the Secret of Their Greatness
  • The Shepherd as Preacher (The Shepherd's Library)
  • Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for any Child
  • Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
  • Theological Retrieval for Evangelicals: Why We Need Our Past to Have a Future
  • You Who? Why You Matter and How to Deal With It
  • The Abolition of Man
  • How to Go from Being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in Ninety-Five Difficult Steps
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • The Preacher's Portrait: Five New Testament Word Studies
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • The Dragon's Tooth (Ashtown Burials, #1)

News & Interviews