Start by marking “Love From A to Z” as Want to Read:
Love From A to Z

Love From A to Z

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  14,035 ratings  ·  3,292 reviews
A marvel: something you find amazing. Even ordinary-amazing. Like potatoes—because they make French fries happen. Like the perfect fries Adam and his mom used to make together.

An oddity: whatever gives you pause. Like the fact that there are hateful people in the world. Like Zayneb’s teacher, who won’t stop reminding the class how “bad” Muslims are.

But Zayneb, the only Mus
Published April 30th 2019 by Salaam Reads
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Love From A to Z, please sign up.
S.K. Ali
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
S.K. Ali I actually lived in Doha, Qatar for almost a year. And I'D LOVE TO COME BACK FOR A VISIT. (And sign your kindle heheh. :)
…more
(less)

·  14,035 ratings  ·  3,292 reviews

Start your review of Love From A to Z
chai ♡
find other reviews on my blog

Love from A to Z is one of the most unapologetically Muslim books that I’ve ever read, and I’m so glad it exists. It resonated in chambers of my heart I’d never known existed. There is still an expansiveness in my chest that reminds me of how important voices like these are, for readers like us. This feeling is a language all its own: to reach and find, to be reached for and found, to belong to a mutual certainty.

S.K Ali’s newest offering to the YA literary l
S.K. Ali
Nov 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
2021 UPDATE from author: There's a short story featuring Adam and Zayneb that's available for free! It's called THE EID GIFT and it's available here at Simon & Schuster's website RivetedLit: THE EID GIFT
(You can add the story on goodreads too: The Eid Gift An Adam and Zayneb Story by S.K. Ali The Eid Gift: An Adam and Zayneb Story)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Friends & fellow readers: I have finished writing the book. It is a book full of pain, love, anger, love, joy, and soul -- so much of it being the stu
Warda
This story was a much needed narrative.
Other than the fact that I didn't fully connect with the writing, this book was pretty perfect in all aspects.

I was getting tired of the books that were getting published that featured Muslim characters for the sake of fulfilling the status quo. I wanted there to be depth to these stories, to showcase what the Muslim identity is and portray the Islamic faith.

Most of the books that are getting published are characters that are just Muslim - there's nothing
emma
I don't really know how to review this.

It was just...nice.

I didn't have a single problem with it. The representation (I obviously can't say whether it was good because it's not my representation) was a pleasure to read. The character development arcs were lovely. The romance, while not my favorite I've ever read, was sweet.

I don't have...anything to complain about.

Who am I if I'm not complaining?

(I also didn't fall in love with this book at all, which I guess is kind of a complaint, but even by
Melanie

Fadwa

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the July pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
♛ may
this book made me so ridiculously happy oh my heart where was this all my life 😭😭

"this is a love story. you've been warned."

i LOVE the characters so much. zayneb and her stubbornness, her heated personality. her passion for justice and how she took no crap from anyone, what a legend.
adam and his caring, sweet personality. this boy is so soft, his whole being is just caring about his little sister and worrying about his father, my smol son.

this book explores so many issues, zayneb tackling the b
may ➹
The way I jolted hearing a Deep Manly voice suddenly fill my ears when my audiobook switched to Adam’s chapter......

I love Adam and Zayneb as characters so much! I think the author does a really great job of developing them—they both have very distinctive personalities and voices: Adam is super sweet and caring, and learning how to deal with his mother’s death along with his diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. And Zayneb is headstrong and stubborn, with a passion for justice and ensuring that bad p
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book made me shed a tear, and while that may not exactly sound like an impressive feat, you should know that I am an individual who guards their tears as jealously as a dragon guards its hoard. When I first heard about LOVE FROM A TO Z, I was so excited - I was ready to love it for that adoring glance between the hero and heroine on the cover, the hijabi rep, and of course, the promise of a love story unfolding abroad. How romantic.
Hamad
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“Make sure that you make the beginning of whatever you begin beautiful.”

🌟 This is not a solid 4 stars read for me, but I decided to be generous as I don’t read many books with great Muslim Representations!

🌟 The writing was good, It was not magical or anything special. I was bothered by the HP references that are now apart of almost every YA contemporary. I feel authors use it to sound cool and relatable but seei
Layla
Apr 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
~ 4.5 stars ~

This was quite the pleasant read. I didn’t expect to love it as much as I did. Not only did it have amazing Muslim rep, but it was also very enjoyable.

This book follows Zayneb, who is Pakistani and Carribean, and Adam who is of Chinese and Finnish descent, and their love and coming of age story. Zayneb and her friends have a plan to get her islamaphobic teacher fired by exposing his online alias where he runs in such hate groups, but when she gets suspended for drawing a knife, und
C.G. Drews
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ohhhh, I so so loved this one! It's the kind of contemporary I adore: mixing soft squishiness and family and loveable characters...with harsher issues and deep conversations. It makes and breaks your heart. It so does. It's centred a lot around finding peace vs being validly angry. And the love and care and nuance that went into all the discussions was so palpable (another reason why #ownvoices books are so important).

marvels to love
➢ two POC Muslim teen narrators (who are perfect for each othe
 Teodora
3.45/5 ⭐

I don't even know how I came up with the idea of reading this, but I just did and it was a pleasant surprise.
I liked this.

The whole idea of the book was to be realistic fiction of two persons who were both struggling with life's unpleasant stuff (like health issues and social stigma) and somehow, they manage to find each other and get to fall in love. In a beautiful and simple way.

This book talks about things that the nowadays society struggles with - big topics like racism and Islamopho
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you Salaam Reads for the free (gifted) review copy in exchange for an honest review!

Here's my attempt to string together a bunch of sentences about the best thing that has ever happened to me.

*Clears throat* When I heard that a book like this was going to exists I was ecstatic. S.K. Ali wrote a book that made me feel seen. Books featuring Muslim characters are quite rare. I've made it my goal to read as many books centering around Muslims as possible this year. This book right here is
ALet
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
★★★★/5

This was really good, I really glad I read it.

The story itself was simple, but executed very well. Writing style was simple, not flowery, so it was easy to understand. Because of simplistic style it was a very quick read.

The main characters were interesting and fully formed, had their separate arcs so they were formed outside each other and that definitely helped the story.

On the other hand, because the plot itself was a little bit simple it was a little repetitive. In addition, side cha
Romie
this book was absolutely incredible, and soft, and pure, and I loved every single moment of it. It's not just a book about two Muslim kids falling for each other, it's about fighting for justice, for what you know is right; it's about standing up for yourself, but also asking if you need help. It's about finding the marvels and oddities of life. ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Listening to the audiobook of this one might not have been the best decision because I had a really hard time focusing on what was happening :( I think I'm going to re-read it physically before I post a full review.

TW: Islamophobia, racism, chronic illness, death of a loved one
Saajid Hosein
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
woo child, the quality.
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
SO MUCH LOVE FOR THIS BOOK. SO MUCH. SO adorable while also very intense and emotional.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
tw: racism, islamophobia, xenophobia, death of a loved one (in the past), mentions of rape/honour killings, discussions of victims of war (drone killings), cultural appropriation, chronic illness (multiple sclerosis).

rep: Hijabi, Muslim, biracial MC (dad is from Pakistan and mum's parents are Guyanese and Trinidadian), another biracial MC (mum was Finnish/Canadian and Dad is Chinese/Canadian), lots of diverse side characters (biracial, black and others)

“Never, ever quake in the face of hate,
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
I received an arc of this book from the publisher in exchange of an honest review

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

CW: Islamophobia, racist micro-aggression, cultural appropriation, chronic illness, talk of family death, mention of rape, discussion of war and war victims.

Marvel: The fact that Love from A to Z exists.
Oddity: The fact that I already read it and there isn’t any more to the story.

Do you ever go into a book, expect to love it and then…end up loving it even more? Like
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
this book was astounding and deserves so much more love. y’all need to read it!!

✨ 3.75 "LOVELY" stars ✨

i was pretty sure no book could top a very large expanse of sea in my eyes, but holy smokes!! this muslim love story book by this new-to-me author sk ali was cute and beautiful and heartfelt and educational and just overall wholesome. i used to believe that stories like these two would not make an interesting book to read bcs all the restrictions, rules, and laws in islam. but turns out the
alexandra
i enjoyed this so so much :') gave me all the fluffy cute feels as well as intense sadness and rage at all the islamophobia in this world. ...more
Jessica
This was really cute! I don't think the audiobook is the way to go with this one because there are so many characters and I got a little confused while reading who was who and the timeline of things, but I thought the romance was cute and I felt so much for Zayneb and the prejudices she faced because she's Muslim. Adam has been recently diagnosed with MS and hasn't told his family yet, and I loved having a character with a chronic illness in a YA book. Both Zayneb and Adam are dealing with such ...more
chan ☆
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
i can't stop thinking about this book

mostly just the implied fucking in the epilogue (i'm a 13 year old boy)
chaity
Jan 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
OK BUT WHO'S THAT CUTE BOY ON THE COVER? MY FRIEND WANTS TO KNOW.

Where Warner taught us to let Idiots burn in hell (in our minds, of course),S.K. Ali here gave us the lesson to eat people alive(Some people). And boy am I forever grateful for that.

—Nothing in this book was sugarcoated. This book really did politely kill Islamophobes.

It freaking breaks my heart to know that this book and Zaynab's experience was written based on true incidents. Someone actually had to went through all this (or
preoccupiedbybooks
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
What a wonderful book! I couldn't stop listening.
Rtc
mina reads™️
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We stan character development, communication, transparency and the beginning of a beautiful halal relationship. Absolutely love that for them 🥰
RTC
Julie Zantopoulos
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publishers and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am not an own voices reader for this novel but I have read the reviews of a few and I love that they believe this story so closely mirrors their own lives and is a reflection of themselves, their culture, and their struggles with Islamaphobia and navigating the world we live in. It honestly makes my heart so happy.

"Never, ever quake in the face of hate, Zayneb."

At the core of this story is Zayneb, a Muslim girl fro
halfirishgrin
This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year and IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT. It was actually somehow so much better than I could have imagined it would be. Just wow. Five stars is not even enough.

The book is told through alternative perspectives of Zeynab and Adam, both of them writing in "Marvels and Oddities" journals of their own. Both of them are Muslim, from different ethnic and cultural backgrounds. And they're so different from each other, in the best possible ways.

Zeynab, my absolut
h o l l i s
I'm so so mixed on this one. To the point that I didn't even want to leave a review because I just don't know how to put my thoughts together about why this didn't work. But lets give it a go.

This has great representation, though I can't verify the accuracy behind either the Muslim or MS rep, but as it's #ownvoices for the former, I can hope the author was equally careful with the latter, too. But while I appreciated both, and though I found the situations to be charged with the rage and sadness

• Salaam, with Love
  • It All Comes Back to You
  • How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • Wild and Crooked
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Virtually Yours
  • We Are the Perfect Girl
  • Thirteen Doorways, Wolves Behind Them All
  • You Must Not Miss
  • Viral: The Fight Against AIDS in America
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Unpregnant
S. K. Ali is the NYT bestselling and award-winning author of several books. Her debut novel, Saints and Misfits was the winner of the 2018 APALA Honor award, the 2017 Middle East Book Honor Award, and a 2018 William C. Morris Award finalist. Her widely acclaimed second novel, LOVE FROM A TO Z, a story about finding love in the time of Islamophobia, was an Entertainment Weekly Top Ten Young Adult B ...more

Articles featuring this book

Young love, first love, star-crossed love. YA fiction has brought us some of our very favorite heartbreaks and Happily Ever Afters. For...
“Maybe that's what living is--recognizing the marvels and oddities around you.” 71 likes
“Make sure that you make the beginning of whatever you begin beautiful.” 38 likes