Start by marking “Land of July: A Real Life Scandal of Sex & Social Media at a Connecticut High School” as Want to Read:

On an ordinary January afternoon, a disturbing revelation about his wife hurls one man into a maelstrom of public humiliation and heartbreak, and eventually on a spree of run-ins with lawyers, judges, therapists, and law enforcement. Land of July tells the true story of a teacher/student sex scandal that not only shocked an entire school and small suburban community, but m ...more
Published May 16th 2018 by Black Rose Writing (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Land of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Land of July

Start your review of Land of July: A Real Life Scandal of Sex & Social Media at a Connecticut High School
Ronnie Cramer
We've all seen news accounts of teachers who have sex with students; well here's the story of one of them (Allison Marchese) as seen through the eyes of her husband. As you might expect, there is an amazing amount of negative energy in these pages.

Apparently we got the neutered version, as the author talks about exchanges like this: 'One agent told me he needed aspirin upon finishing the manuscript. 'Tone it down,' he told me. 'Tell your story, but lose the misery. No one wants to partake in th
Kayo
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hard book to read. Knowing a hard-working family man gets railroaded at every turn. Thing is you hear it on the news all the time. Where's the outrage at this stupidity.
Good book, although that isn't the right word. Well worth the $ to read!
maryann s
Oct 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
No Excuses

There are no excuses on both sides. As a mom, I can't for the life of me excuse Allison for her behavior. On the other hand, with as angry and the actions of Mr. Matches IMMEDIATELY following him finding out I kinda see perhaps why she would do it. THIS IS NOT MEANING THAT WHAT HAPPENED IS ACCEPTABLE. But remember when he wrote a song for her right before he found out? It said that he was madly in love with her. Then, when he does discover what caused this, he instantly goes home and p
Debra Webster
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a study in personality disorder. Our family has wrangled with another type yet no less destructive. This book is raw but so is the suffering inflicted on Robert and his family. In this book Robert was angry, bitter and dumbfounded about how he got here. All of this is understandable. I read it in one night because I had to find out if he got beyond some of the angst.

Time helps, but something more profound needs to happen for anyone wronged. Forgiveness does not mean the crime is excused, b
Andrea King
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but it felt very revenge motivated to me, which is part of my lower rating. Also, could definitely have lived without the song lyrics.
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

One January afternoon English teacher Robert Marchese was called urgently to the principals office. As the police arrived at the school, he was told his wife Allison, also a teacher at the school, had been suspended for having a relationship with a male student.

Back at home Allison admitted she had a 10 month "relationship" with a 14 year old boy. Then when that fizzled out she began another liaison with another child.

Robert tells the story of the breakdown of his mar
Elisabeth Brookshire
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like "Gorgeous Disaster"

If anyone remembers Debra LaFave, the first of the blonde "bombshell" teachers to make international headlines for her affair with a fourteen year old student then you may remember the book "Gorgeous Disaster". Written by her ex husband, Owen, it's a lurid account that takes potshots at her and her family. It's a terrible book. Robert Marchese's memoir is nothing like that. Instead it's a terrifically honest account at what his wife's similar crimes cost him and h
Pug
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This book started off so good! I was fascinated by the scandal, and witnessing the husband's reaction to it.

I mean, just how does one react to such horrific news??? Not only were you being cheated on, but your spouse was cheating with her students!? Performing oral sex on a kid under the school's roof!? Learning that your spouse is a pedophile.

Bit by bit, however, the husband became less of a sympathetic character. He admitted that his big mouth was an issue, which became obvious as it got him
Shirley York
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pedophiles in our schools!

This book deserved a 5 star rating. I can't imagine this happening
to my son or daughter. Robert did exceptionally well, all things considered. I believe the school handled this poorly. He never should have been arrested. Why was this woman in jail? My heart goes out to the children and father.

Angie

What a difficult read ;-(
I hope writing this story was therapeutic for Mr. Marchese . This is a candid look at the impact on his family when his wife is found to be sexually inappropriate with two of her students . The story takes you on such an emotional rollercoaster ride ….I can't imagine living through this .
Joyce Carroll
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. Hard to imagine being in that horrible situation. I mean for the author.. well written, great sense of humor, especially during his most difficult, unimaginable situation. Really a good read!
Constance
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very Hard-hitting

At the beginning I felt I was there with the writer; however, was more interested in further reading of how things progressed. I'd recommend for the author, "Science of Survival" by L Ron Hubbard to explain his wife's actions and mentality.
Michael Hatmaker
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and Surreal

I knew nothing about this book before buying it on a whim, but it was f**king epic! Excellent work. Having been in a relationship with a Borderline in the past, I was stunned by the accuracy.
Cheryl A. Breidigan
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute page Turner!

Don't know how I found this book. Some mixed review, but it piqued my interest. Once I started reading it, hard to put down.
Cheryl m Craft
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing

Skipped a few pages of lyrics cause I couldn't wait to see where the story was headed. Over all a good read.
Jackie Lynn Reber
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Betrayal at it’s worst!!

Gut wrenching...absolute self-care from a narcissist. Moving on with life and letting go. True story of betrayal and renewals... Fantastic read!
Jenn
Feb 12, 2019
Susan Ernst
Mar 22, 2019
Connie Wyum
rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2019
Gale Ann
May 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • Closing Time: A True Story of Robbery and Double Murder
  • Cold-Blooded: A True Story of Love, Lies, Greed, and Murder
  • A Dark and Bloody Ground: A True Story of Lust, Greed, and Murder in the Bluegrass State
  • ttfn (Internet Girls, #2)
  • l8r, g8r (Internet Girls, #3)
  • The Other Family
  • Love Lies: A True Story of Marriage and Murder in the Suburbs
  • In Plain Sight: The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders
  • We Thought We Knew You: A Terrifying True Story of Secrets, Betrayal, Deception, and Murder
  • The Pale-Faced Lie
  • 52 Lists for Happiness: Weekly Journaling Inspiration for Positivity, Balance, and Joy
  • Crazy Horse and Custer