Start by marking “Good News for a Change: How to Talk to Anyone about Jesus” as Want to Read:
Good News for a Change: How to Talk to Anyone about Jesus

Good News for a Change: How to Talk to Anyone about Jesus

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Imagine an atheist sending you regular prayer requests. Or your coworker grabbing you by the arm and asking you to stay late at work to talk about God just a bit longer. When Jesus talked about the Good News, people ran to him.

We should expect the same response. Good News for a Change is about working together with Jesus to share the gospel in ways unique to each person’s
Published June 5th 2018 by NavPress

To ask other readers questions about Good News for a Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good News for a Change

J.R. Forasteros
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Christian I know is afraid of Evangelism. Matt shows us how to talk to people about Jesus without being a jerk or a creep. He gives us the anti-formula for Evangelism, centering relationship and love.

This is a wonderful resource, and it will actually make you excited to talk to people about Jesus!
Matt Chapmond
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not the target audience for this book. I was raised Christian but, after a long spiritual journey (as I called it), I am now a humanist agnostic (who still observes some Christian traditions). I'm actually the target audience of the target audience of this book. When I discovered Matt Mikalatos I was in the terminal stage of my faith and I stumbled across an ad for his book Imaginary Jesus. It seemed like the right mix of irreverence and spirituality for the stage of religious deconstructio ...more
⟡ brittney ⟡
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all Christians
Shelves: faith
I became a Christian a year ago. It was a decision that drastically changed my life for the better. As anyone else who goes through a change that makes their life increasingly better, you'd want to share it to help others. I've wanted to share to others the good news of the Gospel and Jesus.

But I've been too afraid to.

When I saw this novel pop up on a Goodreads giveaway, I seized the opportunity to get my hands on a book that will help me tackle my paralyzing fear of evangelism. And I won (yay!)
James
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evangelism
If you are like me, you have a lot of mixed feelings about evangelism. I mean, there is Jesus' Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20), So I guess I believe evangelism is really great, right?  But there is so much bad evangelism. I know, I've done my share of it. I'm really good at bad evangelism.

There are lots of things that make evangelism bad. Some evangelism is bad because people don't hear good news from the evangelist. I remember once listening as an open-air-evangelist berated a passerby for
Karl Dumas
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve heard it said that the 2 things people fear most are public speaking and dying—in that order. I wonder where sharing your faith or talking to people about Jesus might fall on that continuum. It may not be number 1, but probably has a good chance of knocking dying down to number 3. Lately I’ve come to believe that a major fault of the Christian church is that not enough people have confidence to talk about their religious beliefs. We’ve all heard the excuses: it’s personal, I don’t want to o ...more
Linda Walters
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that the picture on the front of this book caught my eye. So did the subtitle: How to talk to anyone about Jesus. It was quirky and fun and I was hoping that the author's approach to so many of the so called "formula's" was different. They just don't work for me. Maybe it's time to put more fun in it, it doesn't have to be a drudgery.

And as I read the Introduction I began to see more clearly some of the problems with the formulas. I liked how he gave illustrations of how we appr
Tina
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tyndale
Let's go ahead and start off with the fact that I'm biased. There has yet to be a Matt Mikalatos book that I've read that I've not enjoyed. I'm thankful to say that this one did not make me cry. You can reference previous reviews if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Good News for a Change is a pretty quick read if you don't do the homework. My suggestion would be a quick and then a slow read because there's a ton of information and how to apply it in these pages. Mikalatos systematically goe
Melissa Moore
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title caught my eye, “Good News for a Change - How to talk to Anyone about Jesus”. The author delivers on your expectations. This non-fiction book appeals to Christians who have a heart for witnessing and hope to encourage non-believers to welcome Jesus into their hearts.

It’s clear from the outset, that author, Matt Mikalatos, has experience in this area. He offers many first hand accounts of various ways he has invited people to join him in spiritual conversations.

I heard a Pastor say once,
Clay Morgan
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did the "good news" ever make you feel bad?

A lot of Christians, myself included, grew up in environments where you either witnessed for Jesus all the time or you faced the shame of possibly not loving him enough. It was a dark, sad feeling. If you ever felt a bit like a slick salesperson because you thought that's what God's will was, then this book is for you. But it's also for anyone who wants to understand the simple beauty of the actual good news. Our broken world needs kindness, empathy, an
Lorraine Hardaway
Finished this book this past weekend and have already recommended it to several people! It is a very practical and easy to read book on how to explain your faith to anyone you meet! One of the best books on this subject I have ever read. The author uses great stories to explain how simple it can be to talk to anyone you meet about Jesus... seriously, ANYONE. Matt is funny and engaging and really made me think in a new way! I hope you pick up a copy of this book! You won't be disappointed!
Daniel Keohane
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a short but powerfully practical book on talking about your faith without alienating them or or never connecting. Meeting people where they are, learning how to "translate" the gospel to someone in a way they'd get. Mikalatos is a great writer who can be funny and deep in the same sentence. Very enjoyable read, and convicting - even when you don't want it to be sometimes. :)
Zizi
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to communicate what you believe with other people, then this book is for you. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the stories in this book and was challenged by the application questions at the end of each chapter. This would be a great book for a small group to do together.
Hongya Chen
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read on approaches to commonly encountered awkward experiences when sharing the good news. Matt shared many of his personal experiences and it was very insightful and encouraging for readers to process things that could’ve been better but didn’t because we didn’t know a different way.
Mrklingon
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Mikalatos never disappoints. And he has range - from thoughtful fiction, interesting Bible translations, and more - I'm never sorry I pick up his books.

This is a thoughtful, respectful and contemporary guide for evangelism - worth reading for anyone looking for ideas, even if they aren't "evangelizing."
Jenni
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read. Practical.
Kerri Thorn
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read on how to make spiritual conversations a more natural part of your life. If you’d like to go deeper in your relationships, this is a good one to check out.
Matthew
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt Mikalatos does a great job of reminding readers of the most important things when sharing about Jesus. The book effectively weaves together anecdotes, theology, and examples to remind the reader that the goal is to share joyfully and meaningfully while ensuring that the message doesn't get lost in jargon or unclear language.
Mallory