Start by marking “Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)

Where Dreams Descend

(Kingdom of Cards #1)

In a city covered in ice and ruin, a group of magicians face off in a daring game of magical feats to find the next headliner of the Conquering Circus, only to find themselves under the threat of an unseen danger striking behind the scenes.

As each act becomes more and more risky and the number of missing magicians piles up, three are forced to reckon with their secrets
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Wednesday Books

Win a Copy of This Book

• Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles
    Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    Release date: Jun 02, 2020

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 3639 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 06 - Apr 20, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Where Dreams Descend, please sign up.
    Allison There wasn't any clear queer representation in the book, sadly.
    Allison I'm curious what the author would say about this, but the book takes place in a fantasy world that doesn't map onto our world as far as I can tell.…moreI'm curious what the author would say about this, but the book takes place in a fantasy world that doesn't map onto our world as far as I can tell. However, I took the descriptions of the MC and love interest to indicate that they are both POC's, which was awesome!(less)
    Untitled by Sarah J. MaasThe Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsUntitled by Leigh BardugoOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusChain of Gold by Cassandra Clare
    YA Novels of 2020
    747 books — 1,959 voters
    All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben   OliverA Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
    YA Debuts 2020
    133 books — 388 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
    jessica
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    i have a very strong feeling this novel will be making its way into book subscription boxes this summer. its definitely one i can see becoming quite popular.

its fun, its daring, its dark, and it has that magical showmanship quality that i have been missing since caraval and the night circus. i really enjoyed the exciting cast of characters and the mysterious atmosphere of the story.

my only minor critique would be the overall vibe of the book. i think if the world-building had been a little bit
    Melanie
    bag secured..... brb, crying forever over this. i am so excited!!! <3

ARC provided by Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
    chai ♡
    Mar 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
    you cannot look me in the eyes and tell me this book is a combination of Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera with a dash of Erin Morgensterns The Night Circus and not deliver on such a ballsy premise thats grounds for a lawsuit ...more
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
    A delicious mash-up of Phantom of the opera, Moulin Rouge and Chris Nolans Prestige (nope, there are no big twist and twins, just relax and enjoy the magic of the story!)

Semi-love triangle dances with manipulation, secrets, the universe of magicians, dark pasts and intriguing, riveting, high tension story-telling hooks you from the beginning and you cannot get enough because question marks are swimming in your fish-tank head and you ask yourself Did the book finish? But instead of getting
    Angelica
    May 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Me: *sees that its pitched as The Phantom of the Opera meets Moulin Rouge*

Me: *is completely obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera*

Me: *knows must read book*

Me: *sees release date*

Me: *cries because its twO YEARS AWAY*

Me: *still really wants to read book*

*because The Phantom of the Opera*
    Tucker
    May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
    Shelves: reviewed
    Book: The one who dares most often disappears...
    Me: Yeah that's because the one who dares is most often the one doing stupid sh*t that gets them in trouble

*************

i have fallen down the rabbit hole of exploring 2020 releases...

no sleep for me
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
    Upcoming BR with Heather Crews

YOUR GIRL WON THE GOODREADS GIVEAWAY!!!!

Hahahaha I never win anything! But today... I feel like a winner!

Another YA book that has a summary that sounds like it'll be really kinky until you see that it's YA and probably won't be.

Also if this is based off Phantom, SO HELP ME GOD IF THE HEROINE ENDS UP WITH BOOK RAOUL.

NOBODY LIKES BOOK RAOUL.
    Chelsea Humphrey
    New US Pub Date: August 25, 2020

***********************

This sounds like a blend of The Night Circus, Caraval, and Moulin Rouge, which is just the sort of positivity we need in this world right now.

description

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
    Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
    Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Loveeed the atmosphere and tension! More thoughts to come soon :)

Pssst. Visit me on Instagram!
    Julie
    Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I can't think of enough adjectives to praise this! Dark, stunning, magical, romantic all come to mind. Don't miss this gorgeous book that draws inspiration from and reimagines Moulin Rouge and Phantom of the Opera (and has plenty of Easter eggs for fans of both, like myself!) but is a completely original story all on its own.

My official review:

"WHERE DREAMS DESCEND is a glamorous dark gem of a tale, sparkling with romance, magic, and intrigue. Readers will be captivated by prima donna Kallia as
    Kyle
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, ya, sf-fantasy
    Many thanks to St. Martins Press and NetGalley for providing me with this free advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

You know, I love me some YA fantasy, but this one was a mixed bag... and mostly of the disappointing sort. Listen, I dont like giving negative reviews. I just get my expectations so up, and so when theyre dashed, it hurts more. The blurb sounded promising, and the book started off cool, but floundered between 20% and the last 5% (and thats the bulk of it).

**Please, do
    Kendra Cusworth
    Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arcs, 2020-reads
    5 stars

My most anticipated read of 2020 did not disappoint!
    Where Dreams Descend is a moody and broody, dark and enigmatic, mysterious and magical, seductive and captivating story. It was atmospheric and entrancing and I couldn't get enough!
    The angst !! The tension !!

Kallia has been working as a showgirl in a magical club in the woods ever since she was orphaned as a young girl. She is the star of the show and a deep relationship has formed between her and Jack, the master of the club. But she
    Candace Robinson
    ARC received via publisher!
    Alexandra
    Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I received an e-ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Review can also be found on *Milky Way of Books*

The Star, the Master, and the Magician aka Kallia, Jack and Demarco. What can I say about these characters and this mysterious world where magic comes at a price and there are far worse creatures lurking behind mirrors?

Where Dreams Descend is a fantasy set in a world where cities are both scary and magical and at the same time exists a forest that also tries to devour one of
    Alexa
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    But really, is there any better feeling for a reader than diving into a novel you are highly anticipating and having it be as excellent as youd hoped? ...more
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
    Alaina
    I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

Holy cannoli guys! Where Dreams Descend was so freaking good. It was weird for me not wanting to dive into it yesterday but I totally get why - it started off slow. Yes, I had endless questions being formed because of what was happening.. but I was still bored. It was painstakingly slow but it magically got a lot better.

Ha, get it - magically.

Now I'm not a big fan of any kind of love-shape relationship in books.. unless
    ♠ TABI ♠
    Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
    I'm either going to fall catastrophically in love with this or die in agony from ruined expectations BECAUSE I AM HYPED FOR THIS OKAY

AND EVEN MORE HYPED NOW BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS COVERRRRRRRRR
    2020 releases are killing me with their wonderful, stunning covers
    Erin
    Aug 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Goodreads giveaway win!
    ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
    Feb 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: arc
    ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
    megs_bookrack
    I was just thinking about this book this morning. Then in a shocking turn of events, I receive an ARC!!!

Thank you so much, Wednesday Books, for my copy. I am so excited to dive into this world!
    Andi
    Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: on-kindle, arc
    *~I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my views and feelings prior to release. ~*

EDIT:

There is so much I can say about this book, but to wrap it up - bluntly and aptly: this book makes no sense.

None.

What did make sense is how loosely elements from Phantom and Moulin Rouge were borrowed an thrown into this book. Even still, that did not help the plot.

(view spoiler)
    Lisa
    Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, 2020
    What just happened to me?! Im in love with the world of magic and spectacle and romance that Angeles has created.

You dive into this book and land in a rich world of color, visceral magic and deep mystery. My absolutely only wish for the story would have been to let the reader in on a one or two more details (especially at the end) to help us understand more of the lore/myth of Glorian. It was a little hard to keep up at times.

But none of that matters too much in light of the strong characters
    alana ♡
    Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Sitting somewhere between 3.5 & 4 stars.
    I need the next book NOW, please.
    AJ
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    For in the world of magic, a womans place lies in the quiet shadows of labor magic, the encouraged path. The safer one. Because the ones who dare most often disappear.

Thank you to the pulishers and Netgalley for giving me an ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

The magic, the romance, the atmosphere, the beautifully written world descriptions, the tension (romantic and chaotic) is just a few reasons why this is a 5+ star read! And probably the best book Ive read so far in 2020!
    Nadhira Satria
    Feb 24, 2020 is currently reading it
    Shelves: arc
    I got approved on Edelweiss hell yusssssssss
    Lia Carstairs
    Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Updated review:

Thank you so much St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for sharing this book in exchange for an honest review. And of course, thank you Janella Angeles for making such a beautiful book!

Ahhhhhh, the downside of reading a book (in a series) before it comes out is having to wait waaaaaaaayyyy longer for the the second book to come out😭. Especially with the cliffhanger to this book...........

I knew from the moment I looked upon this cover, I was going to fall in love with this bookand
    Bethany
    Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Phantom of the Opera meets Moulin Rouge? Yes please!

Filled with lush writing, vivid descriptions, morally gray characters, magical competition, dark secrets, dangerous romance, and fierce women fighting the patriarchy, Where Dreams Descend is a stunning debut that feels inspired by the aforementioned properties, and yet very much its own thing. I am kind of obsessed and I need book two asap!

Set in a world where there is little space for female magicians and those who dare too much often
    Kelly
    Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs-read
    This book was so good, guys! The atmosphere kept me hooked the entire time. The characters were interesting and with that plot, I was always guessing left and right. By the end, I still had a lot of unanswered questions but I'm hoping we'll get them in the sequel.

In Where Dreams Descend, you follow Kallia, an ambitious magician who longs to be at the center of a stage, using her magic to surprise and captivate her audience. Her teacher, Jack, has been teaching her tricks but she wants to see
    Amanda
    May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    The excerpt destroyed me, I cannot wait to see the rest!!!!

Update: I'm sad for everyone who hasn't read this dark gem yet! We've waited too long for stories about women magicians and Kallia will steal any show. Her fiery ambition drives this story and I don't know what I loved more, everything about her, or everything about the magical world she explores through her performances. This is a breath of fresh air for anyone who wants something new in fantasy and I'm already itching for the sequel!

• More Than Maybe
    • Of Silver and Shadow
    • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
    • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
    • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
    • The Lucky Ones
    • The Betrothed (The Betrothed, #1)
    • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
    • Lobizona (Wolves of No World, #1)
    • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
    • The Raven and the Dove (The Raven and the Dove, #1)
    • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
    • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
    • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
    • The Mall
    • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
    • Wicked As You Wish (A Hundred Names for Magic, #1)
    • Burn Our Bodies Down
    Janella Angeles is a Filipino-American author who got her start in writing through consuming glorious amounts of fanfiction at a young agewhich eventually led to penning a few of her own, and later on, creating original stories from her imagination. A lifelong lover of books, shes lucky enough to be working in the business of publishing them on top of writing them. She currently resides in ...more

Kingdom of Cards (2 books)
    • Untitled (Kingdom of Cards, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Spring ushers in blooming flowers, warmer weather, and more daylight hours for reading! We're here to help you beat any lingering winter b...