Start by marking “Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)

Where Dreams Descend

(Kingdom of Cards #1)

In a city covered in ice and ruin, a group of magicians face off in a daring game of magical feats to find the next headliner of the Conquering Circus, only to find themselves under the threat of an unseen danger striking behind the scenes.

As each act becomes more and more risky and the number of missing magicians piles up, three are forced to reckon with their secrets
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by Wednesday Books

Start your review of Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
Angelica ♡
May 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
Me: *sees that it’s pitched as The Phantom of the Opera meets Moulin Rouge*

Me: *is completely obsessed with The Phantom of the Opera*

Me: *knows must read book*

Me: *sees release date*

Me: *cries because it’s twO YEARS AWAY*

Me: *still really wants to read book*

*because The Phantom of the Opera*
Tucker
May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Book: The one who dares most often disappears...
Me: Yeah that's because the one who dares is most often the one doing stupid sh*t that gets them in trouble

*************

i have fallen down the rabbit hole of exploring 2020 releases...

no sleep for me
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loveeed the atmosphere and tension! More thoughts to come soon :)

Pssst. Visit me on Instagram!
Candace Robinson
ARC received via publisher!
Erin
Aug 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Goodreads giveaway win!
Alexa
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
But really, is there any better feeling for a reader than diving into a novel you are highly anticipating and having it be as excellent as you’d hoped?
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Feb 03, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
♠ TABI ♠
Sep 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
I'm either going to fall catastrophically in love with this or die in agony from ruined expectations BECAUSE I AM HYPED FOR THIS OKAY

AND EVEN MORE HYPED NOW BECAUSE LOOK AT THIS COVERRRRRRRRR
2020 releases are killing me with their wonderful, stunning covers
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Another YA book that has a summary that sounds like it'll be really kinky until you see that it's YA and probably won't be.

Also if this is based off Phantom, SO HELP ME GOD IF THE HEROINE ENDS UP WITH BOOK RAOUL.

NOBODY LIKES BOOK RAOUL.
Amanda
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The excerpt destroyed me, I cannot wait to see the rest!!!!

Update: I'm sad for everyone who hasn't read this dark gem yet! We've waited too long for stories about women magicians and Kallia will steal any show. Her fiery ambition drives this story and I don't know what I loved more, everything about her, or everything about the magical world she explores through her performances. This is a breath of fresh air for anyone who wants something new in fantasy and I'm already itching for the sequel!
AO
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute pleasure and privilege to read this novel in its most recent incarnation, and world, get ready for the magnificence of WHERE DREAMS DESCEND. Gorgeous prose, high drama, sizzling romantic tension, and magic & mayhem, this book completely swept me away, from start to its heart-stopping finish. Kallia is a fierce & confident heroine whose journey to take control of her own life is an inspiring and fist-pumping journey of fulfillment as she escapes the life of a showgirl ...more
Ashlee » Library In The Country
Every time I see mention of this book I freak out a little inside because it reminds me that’s it’s coming. ...more
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
I like Phantom of The Opera, so sure why not?
Tiffany Bookwormgram
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m more like 4.5/5 stars. Not five, because I get annoyed when something *ALMOST* happens and never does, for the sake of suspense. And that happens several times in this one.

That said, I looooved this book. Magicians, showgirls, dark magic stirring, mysterious towns, secrets, danger, interesting characters. It was all so visual and enrapturing.

The characters are flawed and wonderful in a way that makes them feel real. Everyone has a secret, a mask they hide behind. This book is slowly
Myka Kobb
Jul 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
A book written by a Filipina-American??? Hit me the fuck up!!! 2020 COME QUICKLY
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
This is two years away but FUCK IT I WANT IT NOW
Jackie
May 18, 2018 marked it as 2020-wtf
UNAPOLOGETICALLY BOLD SHOWGIRLS BIIIITCH I'M SO READY FOR THIS
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
Moulin Rouge inspired, you say.......?

Good thing that's literally my favorite movie of all time.
Chloe
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Spoiler free*

Knowing almost nothing about the Phantom Of The Opera or Moulin Rouge expect for the love or brief glimpses I've seen online, I was of course very much interested in a book inspired by both of them. It sounded like something decked in red, with mystery, and a lot of secrets. It was something I was curious about reading and I wanted to find out more.

This is another book where I want to do it justice with my review, but all my words feel clumsy in comparison. I don't know what to say
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Phantom of the opera is my favourite musical.

Moulin rouge is one of my favourite films.

The night circus is one of my favourite books.

And this book is Phantom meets Moulin Rouge meets Night Circus!!!!

But its not out till 2020!!!!

Eilidh
May 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc-tbr
Phantom of the Opera meets The Night Circus?? Well hello there.
Count me intrigued and very invested in getting a copy of this adventure
A-S-A-P

21/11/19; Well count me a lucky star. I’ve got an e-ARC of this beauty!!! I’m so, so excited!

Thank you to the publishers and Edelweiss+ for providing me with an ARC, in exchange for an honest review.
𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶
Aaaaaah, finally, I have finished a book after putting 3 books down.

Thank. God. And what a good choice. I think I needed the romance and whimsical magic and fun that this story offered.

Some spoilers headed your way, btw.

A female magician enters a competition where female magicians are basically unheard of and unwanted. Not to mention it takes place in a creepy city where the entire city has no recollection of its past.

But back to Kallia, our magician. I found a female magician to be unique,
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
I expect tragedy and death in this book because The Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge .
diana
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was SO GOOD and yet I have no idea what to say.

Full review to come. (If I can find words, that is.)
Fanna
Jul 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
OMG, do you see that? do you see the part that says 'magician competition'? do you see the comp titles? do you see my NEED FOR THIS?
Tori Kiersten Frost
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a bound manuscript from the publisher for review purposes.

Janella Angeles takes the literary stage by storm with a debut novel that will leave its audience breathless and hungry for more. Like any great act, WHEN DREAMS DESCEND spins a world of spectacle, drama, and nail-biting twists that can't fail to satisfy. Fantasy fans, don't miss the show!
Isabella (lives_in_ya_books)
I am very excited about this book, and am so happy there is more Filipina/os getting into YA literature! Can't wait!!

10.26.19 This is definitely one of my most anticipated releases of 2020! Look at that cover! It's absolutely stunning. Maybe one of my fave covers of all time!
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah
This is, to put it quite simply, a masterful debut.

This book pulls you into its world with such whiplash-inducing force that you literally cannot put it down until it's finished. It practically demands it of you. All other mundane obligations, chores, errands, eating, sleeping, just suddenly aren't as important. And right when you think you have a handle of what's going on, and in your bookish arrogance you think "what hackneyed YA trope will be employed with this go-around," you are pleasantly
Jackie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arcs, 2019-reads
**3.5 stars**

I’m not quite sure how I feel about this one but I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

“Where Dreams Descend” finds Kallia dreaming for a life of magic and freedom outside of the Hellfire House and when word of a competition reaches her she sets off determined to find the cursed city hidden within the woods and prove that female magicians are just as powerful as the men but when acts start going wrong and competitors are going missing she finds that perhaps her freedom is
« previous 1 3 next »

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Foul Is Fair
  • Tweet Cute
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Silence of Bones
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • More Than Maybe
  • Jane Anonymous
Janella Angeles is a Filipin0-American writer who works in children’s publishing by day while penning novels by night. She graduated from Emerson College with a B.A. in Writing, Literature, and Publishing, but found the most valuable way of learning to write was in creating glorious Harry Potter fanfiction and reading obscene amounts of books. Janella currently resides in Massachusetts, most ...more

Kingdom of Cards (2 books)
  • Untitled (Kingdom of Cards, #2)