Start by marking “A Dog Called Jack” as Want to Read:
A Dog Called Jack

A Dog Called Jack

Every street should have a dog like Jack. And every abandoned dog should find a new family like the residents of Christmas Street--a group of people who just might need Jack as much as he needs them . . .

All day, he trots happily between the terraced houses, receiving treats and toys, offering a tail wag or lick in return. For Sam, a widower recently returned to London, J
Published January 29th 2019 by John Scognamiglio Book

Juli
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jack is a dog. He used to live in a house on Christmas Street...but his family moved and left him behind. But don't worry about good ol' Jack. Now he belongs to everyone on the street. He visits all the neighbors up and down the street. They all feed, pat and love Jack. But the best part? Jack makes a huge difference to everyone on Christmas Street. By the time he's done wagging and working his doggie magic, the neighborhood will be transformed.

I love this book! My favorite character is the gruf
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
So I'm moving. See that cute purple house in the middle with the three shrubs in front? That's the one I want. And see that adorable dog on the cover? He'll make a perfect friend for my pups. Ivy Pembroke has created a setting I just want to beam myself into and live happily ever after.

Several years ago Sam's wife died so he and his son, Teddy, have moved to England to be closer to Sam's sister and her two kids. Teddy hates living in a foreign country and is having a hard time making friends, al
Jolene
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This story has everything that I love in a book, humor, great characters, and a dog (Jack). Even though it makes me sad that the dog’s family moved away without him, I love how he belongs to everyone on the street. And just like real dogs, he knows how to comfort those around him. He sleeps at Bill’s house. Bill, who is a crotchety old widower, really wants nothing to do with the neighborhood and doesn’t understand today’s society. There were many laugh out loud moments from him. One of my favor ...more
Enja
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Dog Called Jack is a very sweet book about friendship, belonging and new beginnings. After losing his wife a few years before, Sam decides to relocate himself and his son Teddy to England. They move into Christmas Street where neighbours dont talk to each other very much but all share the care of the `street dog` called Jack. Things change with the arrival of the pair as Sams effort to bring people together to help Teddy settle in ends up in all of the neighbours connecting and finally getting ...more
Cindy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wise and witty story. This book is 10 stars on a scale where 5 is the top rating! (My stellar rating is only slightly influenced by the fact that a real life “Dog Called Jack” is loved by several members of my multi-generational “MBT* Family”.)

This book highlights the joys of friendships that cross the false boundaries of age. It underscores the truth that some “families” are created by shared experiences, just as surely as families are created by marriage & birth.

*Midwest Ballet Theatre
Ellen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Facing our current world with all its problems makes it all the more necessary to read this heartwarming, uplifting novel. Sam and his son leave the U.S. after his wife’s death to start over in London. Moving on to Christmas Street, Sam tries to make friends with his diverse group of neighbors, as Teddy befriends the “street” dog, Jack. The development of the relationships between these neighbors, and the personalities of Sam and Teddy, are the reasons to read this book. You will love it. Thanks ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
Jack is a very special dog who brings together a diverse group of people living on the same street. Connections are made and attitudes change as people make new friendships. The characters have varied ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations and are in different stages of life.
This novel is about new starts and the ways in which we find the families we make ourselves. It is a heartwarming and uplifting novel that emphasizes family and belonging and is a must read if you love dogs! -Jacque C.
Kim
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely story to read. Great characters and the writing flowed smoothly.

Perfect book to curl up with a cup of tea and read. Cozy and charming.

Shazza Maddog
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam and his son, Teddy, have moved to Christmas Street in London from America. Sam hopes that the new place will help bring them healing from the loss of Sara, his wife, and Teddy's mom.

Christmas Street has something going for it - Jack, the dog who lived with the family who had Sam and Teddy's house. Jack is the Goodest Boy ever. He's made friends with all the kids on the street and at least two of the adults (though not always the adults of the children).

This being a kind of a romance, Sam s
Ina
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very satisfying read with a diverse cast of well-developed characters and one amazing dog. When Sam and his son, Teddy, move in on Christmas Street it is because they need a fresh start after the death of Teddy’s mother. Teddy misses his mom, America and the friends he had to leave behind. Sam is filled with sadness and self-doubt about the move and they are both pretty lost. At the beginning of the story, most of the street’s residents are also lost. It is great fun to see connections ...more
Kathleen Gray
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! Set on a small street in London, it's the tale of a dog who brings together the people in six disparate homes. Jack, who was, sadly, abandoned on the street, is cared for by all of them. When Sam and his small son Teddy move in, things heat up. To be honest, the characters are not especially unique nor is the plot but the writing is delightful and the story just perfect at a time when there's so much unpleasantness about. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. You will, like me, fi ...more
Jan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, thank you C for this recommendation. I have a Dog Called Jack in my family. Although he doesn’t wander up and down the street working his doggie magic, he certainly has worked his magic on our family.
This story is about the power of love, friendship, community. It shows us how 1 person (dog in this instance} can impact and change those around him.
A quick read, that is heartwarming and at times laugh out loud funny.
Nancy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you just want to read a heartwarming story about nice people and a friendly dog. It is exactly what I needed to read .This is a story about a group of neighbors who are strangers but bond over the beloved dog Jack . Jack was left behind when his owners moved. He often visited each home and it was decided that he belonged to the street. Our family had a sweet dog named Jack who appeared at my sister’s door one day. He was a great dog and is sorely missed.
Amanda
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imagine having a smart and sweet dog that you shared with your street? Jack is a street dog and with the help of a new family moving in they will bring the whole street together. I found this book to be utterly delightful. I loved all of the quirky characters and more than anything I loved Jack. I have two dogs already in our family, but I would definitely add one more if it was like Jack. I don't give many 5 star ratings but this one just gave me joy.
Jade A.
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars. Won this book in a Twitter giveaway -- author is a Twitter friend. I didn't really know what to expect, but I enjoyed this book. Pretty cover, definitely a feel-good book. It made me envious to read how these characters came together to form a family. Makes me think I need a dog -- ha! I just learned that there are other books that are set on the same street -- I wouldn't mind reading those.
Janet Graham
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Neighborhood as Seen Through a Dog's Eyes
This book begins a bit slowly but picks up the pace quickly. As the pieces begin to make sense, the reader gets invested in the lives of those who live in this neighborhood. The plot is uplifting and honest. The characters could live in any of our lives. This is a book that I will enjoy reading again. I will be watching for more works by this author. I received this book for free and this is my honest review.
Sue
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam, a widower, moves from the US back to his childhood country England. As he and his son move onto Christmas Street in a London community, both find themselves lost. Teddy lataches onto a stray dog Jack who he quickly learns is actually the "street dog" and shared by all. Sam feels the need to get to know his neighbors and his efforts provide the background for this gentle book.
S Vanorse
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
The premise was good but I didn't care for the delivery. Way to many characters, and thrown at the reader way to fast. I would have preferred a chapter, smaller ones at that, than the 20 page chapters here, slowly introducing us to each one. Would have liked to hear Jack's take on the situation, would have made it much more interesting.
Linda
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Daisy
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
An absolutely lovely book. Fun, witty dialogue, likeable characters, and a sweet story about starting over together. This seems to be the 2019 hidden gem! If you liked "A Man Called Ove" you'll enjoy this one as well.
Diana Clementson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When eight-year-old Teddy and his father, Sam, move from the US to London, little do they know what changes are ahead, not just for them, but for the whole neighborhood. The neighborhood dog, Jack, helps in his own way. The humor in this story was an added bonus.
Mark Geisthardt
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun book about a multi ethnic street in London and that street's dog and all the people and families which lived on that street. It is both a love story and in many ways a fable about how it is that life is to be lived. This is very good fun read, lots of laughter and tears as well.
Mary Donegan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found a recommendation for this book in a dog magazine. A simple story that all dog lovers will enjoy. A few descriptions of life that touched my heart ! I didn't want this simple tale to end. Reminds of the book A Man Called Ove. I'm hoping you will make this book into a series.
Mel
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story, cozy and sweet, I liked it very much.
Megan
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply adorable.
Lori
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best feel good books I’ve read.
Csimplot Simplot
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Terry
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Such an enjoyable read!
Brbrarian
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Feel good story. Good for readers who prefer not to have profanity included.
Lindsey Kult
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! A little like A Man Called Ove. Not too heavy and not corny either.

• Crane Pond: A Novel of Salem
  • Once There Was Fire: A Novel of Old Hawaii
  • The Good Divide
  • A House in the Country
  • Accidental Brothers: The Story of Twins Exchanged at Birth and the Power of Nature and Nurture
  • Mr. Gandy's Grand Tour
  • Basic Black with Pearls
  • The Collector of Lost Things
  • Oksana, Behave!
  • The Dragonfly Sea
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.: A Life
  • The Bear Comes Home
  • Inheritance
  • The Book That Changed America: How Darwin's Theory of Evolution Ignited a Nation
  • The Madonna of the Mountains
  • The Forgiving Kind
  • The World in Half
  • The Last Cowboys: An Pioneer Family in the New West
Ivy loves happy endings, snowy days, sunny days, and the Oxford comma. She's a law professor specializing in fanfiction who loses most of her sleep to the 100k epic AU she unwisely started at midnight.