Start by marking “Harpy's Flight (Windsingers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harpy's Flight (Windsingers, #1)

Harpy's Flight (Windsingers #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,462 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
A reissue of classic backlist titles from the author of the best selling Farseer Trilogy and The Liveship Traders books. HARPY'S FLIGHT was Lindholm's first novel, and the first in the WINDSINGERS series, which introduced her popular gypsy characters, Ki and Vandien.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published January 14th 2001 by Voyager (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Harpy's Flight, please sign up.
Elizabeth Soldier Son was kind of disappointing in my opinion, so if the plot doesn't appeal to you I would say it's OK to give it a miss and go on to Megan…moreSoldier Son was kind of disappointing in my opinion, so if the plot doesn't appeal to you I would say it's OK to give it a miss and go on to Megan Lindholm.(less)

Claudia
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, z-to-a-hobb
This is the debut of Megan Lindholm (best known as Robin Hobb). Although it’s a bit clumsy and doesn’t have the fluency her later books have, you can see Fitz’ world and Realms of the Elderlings series blooming from here.

The style is the same – character driven stories, this one more introspective and descriptive than all others I read. I don’t think many will like it too much because of its slow pace, but I did – I missed her warm words.

And by all means, it’s a truly sweet, tragic but also hop
Lucinda
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This mesmerizing tale of love, adventure and magic is beautifully written and a truly timeless classic.

I was a huge fan of Robin Hobb’s work when she used to write novels as Megan Lindholm, such as ‘The Ki and Vandien Quartet’ which introduced me to a great writer. I certainly feel that Harpy’s Flight projects the qualities of a great fantasy writer and those raw traits that the author possessed before the creation of epics (such as the Farseer Trilogy in which Fitz Chivalry was born). This ric
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Harpy's Flight was written before the books that Lindholm wrote as Robin Hobb. This is evident in several ways -- the quality of the writing and plotting, the less rich characterisation, the fact that some characters seem almost like test runs for later ones (Rhesus from this book for Restart in Liveships, for example). Her potential also shows in the brightly described world, in the descriptions of cultures and rites, in the quality of the writing and the way it can grip you even when the first ...more
Rob
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
...Harpy's Flight is not Lindholm's best novel but it is still an impressive read. The emptiness Ki experiences after the loss of her family and the violence she unleashes on their killers is heartbreaking. Whatever the technical flaws of this novel, on an emotional level is works very well. It is very clear that there is a lot more to discover about this world in the later three volumes. I think I saw a few more imperfections in the novel the second time around but I am still glad to have my co ...more
Jeremy
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
I love Robin Hobb, but I wouldn't recommend this as a first read for anyone new to her work. Compared to the rich characterisation and deftly interwoven plots of her work as Hobb, Lindholm, in this novel anyway, reads more like a writing workshop offering. The characters are flat, the drama seems contrived. The setting is interesting and well described, but the world doesn't feel as expansive and diverse as the six duchies and the cursed shores of her work as Hobb. I would recommend reading the ...more
Jacoline Maes
Not impressed, I don't think I'll be continuing this series. It doesn't intrigue me. It reads fast, but I couldn't like the characters and I thought the storyline to be quite dull. I'll stick to reading the books Margaret Lindholm wrote under her pseudonym Robin Hobb.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not as good as her books under Robin Hobb but still a very enjoyable and interesting read.
 ☆Ruth☆
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fairly quick read, centering around two main characters Ki & Vandien, who were reasonably well drawn. The story was interesting enough to encourage me to try the next in the series but I didn't find it particularly gripping.
Gribouille Lechat
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Je n'ai découvert Robin Hobb que l'année dernière, mais j'ai tout de suite été subjuguée par sa plume et son talent de conteuse. Chacun des trois romans que j'ai lu a été un pur bonheur, et si celui-ci n'est pas un coup de cœur, j'ai quand même pris un très grand plaisir à le lire.

Tout commence par la vengeance de Ki, un petit bout de femme qui a perdu son mari et ses deux enfants, massacrés par des Harpies. Dans la mythologie et les légendes populaires,
Ronja
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is ok, but nowhere near as brilliant as her other work, the Fitz/Fool novels etc. Still, worth reading while waiting for Fitz and the Fool Part 3 to come out.
Amy Westgarth
I would never have picked this up were it not for Book Club as I've always avoided Fantasy.

However, I have to say this wasn't as bad as I feared. Fantasy is often lumped in with Sci-Fi as a genre, but I didn't find this book confusing or annoying as I do with most Science Fiction.

I understood what was going on most of the time (in stark contrast to Sci-Fi) and how the book was trying to portray Ki's new-found grief. Likening Sven's family's devotion to harpies to that of organised religion was
Cissa
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love world-building, and this is an excellent world. Five sentient races, each of whom is very different from each other, with difficulties in reconciling such and working together.

This book (while it read as a stand-alone, there are apparently others set in the world) focuses on the relationships between the humans and the harpies. Some humans hate them; some worship them. What happens when these collide? The harpies are well-drawn, though- and this might be a spoiler- in the end it looks lik
Donnelle Brooks
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some would argue that this book by Megan Lindholm is not up to the standard of her work as Robin Hobb, and in some ways I agree. The world is not as fleshed out as it could be, but it still feels complete, with a lot of mystery and magic left to be explored. This is still, however, a gut-wrenching, emotionally charged story with characters that feel real and interesting, and that is what I love about Hobb. The world feels larger than the characters and the events they are involved in. There is a ...more
Shayna
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The first chapter of this book gripped me. I love the creative freedom that Hobb has when she writes as Megan. I read this book before I read anything by her as Hobb and I enjoy both styles of writing although I find that as Hobb she is more restricted and rather depressing at the end of each trilogy.

The fact that Ki isn't a young, doe-eyed thing as so many fantasy protagonists HAVE to be these days to be enjoyable. I feel that Hobb put a lot of her own pain, joy and experiences into this series
William Cardini
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Although I fiercely love Robin Hobb's books, it took me a long time to try a Megan Lindholm novel. I was surprised to discover that this was her first book, since so many elements of her writing as Robin Hobb seemed strongly present in this book (a visceral phsysicality, emotionally devastating, intense descriptions of cold and privation).

This book only pales in comparison to the Farseer books. It's much better than most fantasy. I also like that it's short and wraps up the main conflict, even
Liz Cee
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this. The characters believable and the plot well-drawn. I started reading some Megan Lindholm (a.k.a.) Robin Hobb's short stories in a couple of anthologies and really enjoyed them. They led me to this book, and I'm glad the author has many titles to her name. Wonderful fantasy!

Linda
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Am having a bit of a Robin Hobb withdrawal, having now caught up with her newest series. So decided to try some of her books under the Megan Lindholm pseudonym. I liked this first entry into the Windsinger series and have already reserved the next book. The world-building is top-notch, and the characters and plot are involving.
Pam Baddeley
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Re-read this novel a few years ago and still loved it. The beginning, where Ki is climbing up the cliff to exact vengeance on the harpies who murdered her family is absolutely stunning and gut wrenchingly emotional.
Brenda Pike
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not totally polished, but good world building, and the interweaving of flashbacks was generally well done.
Martin Dion
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bad at all, the only other books from Robin Hobb/Megan Lindholm that I actually like... The Ship and Shaman series failed to drag me in but bot this one.
Kahlan
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J’ai toujours su que Robin Hobb écrivait aussi sous le nom de Megan Lindholm, mais je n’avais encore jamais rien lu de la seconde, je crois. Une des choses que j’apprécie beaucoup chez cet auteur, ce sont ses personnages qui sont toujours si bien travaillés, avec une personnalité propre, des sentiments toujours très fouillés et une évolution souvent passionnante. C’est presque une marque de fabrique, et on retrouve bien sûr ce talent chez Megan Lindholm. Vous allez voir que ce n’est pas le seul ...more
Carole
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sur les conseils de mon frère (Lu & approuvé) et me l’ayant offert, je me suis plongée dans l’univers de Robin Hobb les yeux fermés.

Dans le vol des harpies, nous faisons la connaissance de Ki, une jeune femme qui a perdu son mari et ses deux enfants suite à l’attaque d’harpies. Bien décidée à venger leurs morts, elle va s’attaquer à ses créatures et détruire le nid de l’une d’elle. Forcée de prendre la fuite, elle va être engagée pour livrer des marchandises bien particulières à Diblun. Seul
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is not a happy book. In many ways, it is about dealing with grief, and how different upbringings can create misunderstandings and complications in doing so.
Lindholm does all of this in a world that leaves you intrigued and wanting more.
I am looking forward to reading the second book in this series.
Anne-Marie
Ik heb besloten dit boek niet uit te lezen. Het voelt onaf, alsof het verhaal nog verder uitgewerkt moet worden.
Dit was het eerste boek dat ik van deze schrijfster heb gepakt en het blijkt ook nog eens haar eerste boek te zijn. Ik probeer later een boek dat ze onder de naam Robin Hobb heeft geschreven. Eens kijken hoe dat bevalt.
Matthew Schonwalder
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can really see the beginnings of “Robin Hobb” coming out here. Great character development.
Amanda
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to this as I love Robin Hobb. But was not keen on the writing style on this I found it the time jumps unpolished and didn't know where I was half the time.
Mi
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nouvelle histoire , nouvelles aventures .....
Darceylaine
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I was so put off by the violence of hte opening chapter that I almost put it down, but I should have trusted the author. I've read all of Robin hobb's books and am now going back to read the Lindholm books, and am amazed what a skilled writer she was so many decades ago.
Here is yet another totally unique world, and charachters you care about. I love her little wagon she travels with, and the complex way she moved through her grief.
vaderbird
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Finally read this book of Robin Hobb
Bryan
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I came to this book as a huge Robin Hobb fan, but my only previous experience with her Megan Lindholm penname is her short stories. This is not only my first Lindholm novel, but it’s also the first novel she ever wrote under either of her pseudonyms. Being such a fan of hers, I was predisposed toward liking this story, and like it I did, although it has a few flaws.

In all fairness, this is her first novel – unfortunately, it read like a first novel, especially in view of her excellent Hobb mater
Looking for de vlucht - megan lindholm isbn 9789024508488 2007 1 8 Jul 27, 2010 08:36AM
  • The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince  (Realms of the Elderlings, #0.5)
  • The Swordsman's Oath (The Tales of Einarinn #2)
  • The Waterborn (Children of the Changeling, #1)
  • A Sorcerer's Treason (Isavalta, #1)
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in the Da Vinci Code
  • Die Stimme der Magie (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #5)
  • Wolf's Bane (Lone Wolf, #19)
  • Mainline
  • Remalna's Children
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • Legion of Thunder (Orcs: First Blood, #2)
The author also writes under the pseudonym Robin Hobb. Her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden.
More about Megan Lindholm

Windsingers (4 books)
  • The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2)
  • The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“You needed the bitter edges of life to make it real, to let you taste what was still sweet.” 3 likes
“Choose life, Ki. Choose it one more time.” 2 likes