Start by marking “You Owe Me a Murder” as Want to Read:

You Owe Me a Murder

Seventeen-year-old Kim gets more than she bargained for when she is set up for murder. Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying, E. Lockhart, and Gillian Flynn.

17-year-old Kim never expected to plot a murder. But that was before her boyfriend dumped her for another girl. Now, Kim’s stuck on a class trip to London with him and his new soulmate and she can’t help wishing he wa
Expected publication: March 5th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 05, 2019
    Enter to win a *finished copy* of YOU OWE ME A MURDER by Eileen Cook!

***
    Seventeen-year-old Kim gets more than she bargained for when she is set up for

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 2213 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 27 - Feb 24, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about You Owe Me a Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Owe Me a Murder

Carrie
    Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley
    After reading two other thrillers by Eileen Cook I knew that I had to read You Owe Me a Murder. Again, just like with the other two books that I had read previously I found myself quite engrossed from the very start.

Kim is a seventeen year old high school student who had signed up to go on the school trip to London back when she and her boyfriend were together. Having just broken up with him though she’s not looking forward to a couple of weeks in a foreign country watching him with his new girl
    Kendall
    I was super excited to get my approval for You Owe Me a Murder!!

Let me start out by saying I love the title of this book! It's catchy and pulls you in right away.

Kim travels to Europe for a study abroad trip and her ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend happen to be on the same trip. Talk about awful! But, her luck seems to be arising when she meets a new girl Nicki on the plane and they instantly bond as friends. Soon things start to heat up with gossip between Nicki and Kim. Nicki suggests that
    Elizabeth
    Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Tl;dr: Looking for a contemporary young adult novel that's not afraid to go dark? This one's for you. And for you too! A must *must* read.

You Owe Me A Murder seems like a typical ya thriller at first: mc, Kim is in the airport waiting to go to London on a trip arranged for high schoolers with her ex, Connor, and his new girlfriend. She's miserable and dreading the trip and more than a little angry at Connor. Yes, this sounds familiar, I know.

Then we meet Nicki. She's British, on her way home, a
    Cheyenne
    Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Check out my reviews at https://cheyennereads.home.blog/

This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say, this book was honestly so much fun. Lately I’ve been really into thrillers, and usually YA thrillers aren’t my favorite, but this one really captured the fun of other thrillers I’ve read. This book is about Kim, who meets a stranger at an airport during a flight delay who she bonds with – and unwittingly ends up in the middle of a murder plot.

The plot
    Tucker (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
    Olivia (The Candid Cover)
    4.5 Stars

Review to come!
    Sha
    Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of HMH Teen through advanced distribution at YALLFest. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

The combination of short sentences (better, in my opinion, for academic writing than fiction) and lack of emotionalism just did me in. This style holds up throughout the book, which made it hard for me to care abo
    Kelly
    Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    OMG THIS BOOK!!!!! Eileen Cook has done it again with her newest psychological thriller. For fans of twisty, fast paced books with complicated characters, You Owe Me a Murder, is right up your alley. A modern take on Strangers on a Train for our time. It's so clever ans constantly kept me guessing. I really related to Kim, but Nikki was so much fun! I'd love to see a sequel to this.
    5 STARS!!
    Rebecca
    Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: mystery, ya
    While this feels like it could be tightened up in the middle - there's a little too much of Kim fretting, which doesn't add to the suspense - the twists are good and the story largely fascinating. It was the perfect book to read while home sick.
    Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
    Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I always know I'm in for a good time whenever I read an Eileen Cook novel. They're addictive and entertaining—just the kind of book I love to read in one sitting. And when I first read the awesome plot description for You Owe Me a Murder, I just knew I had to read it right away too. Secrets. Lies. Blackmail. Murder. I was definitely immediately hooked!

When Kim is stuck on a summer program to London with her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend, she's not exactly in her happy place. She thought sh
    Kitten Kisser
    Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Have you ever wondered about how the lives of those who are blogged about in very popular blogs may be affected by said blogger? Sadly, I never gave it much thought until meeting Kim. She is the daughter of one of the original Mommy Bloggers. This means her mother is basically a famous Mommy Blogger, making good money for her efforts. This also means that although never referred to by name, Kim's life is blogged about for the world to see. This created an interesting view point. Kim in essence i ...more
    Kidlitter
    Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
    A DRC was provided by Edelweiss for a fair and honest review.

A quick read for teens that features a Canadian high schooler plunged unwillingly into a murder pact with an English girl she meets on the plane to London. The book is obviously an homage to Patricia Highsmith's 1950 novel Strangers On A Train, which was made into a memorably creepy Hitchcock film. Kim, the Canadian teenager and bitter ex-girlfriend of a boy who is also along for their student trip abroad, is both dryly intelligent abo
    Chelsea B.
    Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
    To start, the title is complete perfection. Catchy, punchy, and fitting. I loooove it.

The book itself, not quite as much. I feel much the same as I did after reading With Malice: unsatisfied. But also the same with With Malice, I applaud Eileen Cook's wonderful, easy to read writing, and her skill to make a slow burn/pace still entertaining. But the middle section WAS a good deal slow, and I would have completely forgiven that if the ending had been worth it, but for me, it lacked. After all the
    Alexa
    Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: thrillers
    YOU OWE ME A MURDER is a solid page-turner whose high concept plot kept me in constant suspense. It's the classic "Strangers on a Train" conceit: two strangers meet and agree to swap murders. Except our protagonist, Kim, never actually agree--she thought they were joking, Nicki, the stranger she meets on a plane, does not.

Nicki was frustratingly menacing, and that's a compliment. I was SO UPSET with her at every turn, and my brain was twisting, re: what on Earth could Kim do? What would I do in
    Kelly Hager
    Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    So obviously this is basically a YA version of Strangers on a Train. I loved the concept, and it's executed perfectly here. Kim is in a strange place where she doesn't know anyone except for her ex (who is THE WORST) and his new girlfriend, and where she doesn't have any sort of a support system to help her.

To make matters worse, she also doesn't have any way to contact Nicki. She doesn't even know her last name, where she lives or where she could be.

Also, because Kim didn't mention that she kn
    Ashlynn
    Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
    "You Owe Me a Murder" is a fun and suspenseful thriller set to the backdrop of my favorite city in the world: London. Anyone who has traveled as a student, particularly if you've hit up the UK, will relate to the set-up and the group dynamics-- though thankfully none of my previous EF trips have included murder. Similar to a Gillian Flynn novel, "You Owe Me a Murder" is made for younger fans of murder mystery. Perfect for anyone who enjoyed Maureen Johnson's "Name of the Star" or "Truly Devious" ...more
    Olivia Wildenstein
    Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    A tailspin of a mystery complete with an unlikeable main character who somehow turns out endearing.

I haven’t read an unreliable-narrator story in almost a year now, and this one didn’t disappoint! It was riveting! Every time you think you have it figured out, the author throws you off with a new reveal.

Thank you to the publisher for the advanced copy.
    Meredith Ann
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arc, young-adult
    An enjoyable read. Eileen Cook has a way with mystery/thrillers for the teen set and it shows here. The prose mirrored the main character perfectly and readers will feel like they're in her head. Some of the reveals I figured out in advance but the main one at the end, I was genuinely not expecting that.
    Amanda
    Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
    From the moment you read the title of the book you get a chill and have a good feeling that it's going to be good. If you love thriller books you will definitely not be able to put it down. Normally, I don't read thrillers, but I have read Eileen's other books I had a feeling this one would be the same. It left me definitely shocked and may have caused anxiety with the murder plot.

Kim is a 17-year old who meets a stranger at the airport during a delay during a trip to London with her ex and his
    Darcy
    Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Kim is stuck on a trip to London with a bunch of other kids she doesn't know... but more importantly, her ex and his new girlfriend. She's not mad at the new girlfriend; she's mad at Connor, her ex. He broke her heart and now she's going to have to spend a fifteen day trip with him.

But at the gate waiting for her flight to London, she meets Nicki, a British girl who was in Canada visiting her family. Nicki seems cool and sophisticated and Kim instantly likes her. On the plane, Kim and Nicki tal
    Danielle
    Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Eileen Cook has become one of my favorite go to YA thriller authors. Her books are great for have page turning twists and You Owe Me A Murder is no exception.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel. Kim is the main character here. She is on a school trip to London that her boyfriend and his new girlfriend are also on. She meets Nikki on the plane and they bond over their dislike towards Kim's ex and Nikki's mother. A few days into the trip, Kim's ex is killed and it becomes evident that there is so
    Jenn
    Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: own, arc
    I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

Kim is on a study abroad trip with her ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend and she couldn't be more miserable. But on the plane, she meets Nicki and they bond instantly. But after downing most of a bottle of stolen vodka, Nicki suggests that that she murder Kim's ex and Kim can murder her mother, an alcoholic drowning in her addiction. Kim falls asleep and when she wakes up, it's time to land and Nicki is back in her seat
    Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    What a great read! This is my second book by Eileen Cook and like With Malice, it kept me guessing about how things were going to work out. Kim is heading to London on a trip with other students, including her ex boyfriend Connor. While at the airport she meets Nicki, with whom she instantly connects. After drinking and getting a little wild on their plane ride, Kim creates a list of reasons her ex needs to die. When things take a tragic turn, Kim wonders if Nicki was involved and begins to get ...more
    Quinn
    Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: young-adult
    Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

I want to preface this review with the fact that for the most part, I enjoyed this book. Murder, mystery, intrigue, and all set in the UK? It was meant to be a winner for me!

The implausibility of the plot and things that occur in the novel, however, kept me from enjoying this book fully. The author does a great job of pacing and of describing and unfolding events themselves, but for me the events of the book just weren't.
    Brittany
    Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
    Thank you for the ARC I received from Net Galley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Ugh, the ending killed this one for me. It was so easy, such a cheat. It made me feel horribly let down because a lot of the book was actually pretty okay.

I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars, but at best this book only really deserves 3.5. Parts of it are kind of ridiculous. It’s basically about a book smart girl who is incredibly clingy (think Isla Fisher in Wedding Crashers) and insecure. I know
    Bookworm LLC
    Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
    What would you do if your boyfriend dumped you for another girl and you had to go on a school trip with both of them? What would you do if while on the air plane a gal you met at the airport said you should write down why you would want to kill your ex-boyfriend but just as a game? Would you play along?
    And what would you do if your ex-boyfriend was killed while on this school trip to London right in front of you in the exact manner as you had written down on that airplane? This is the situation
    Rebecca Clinite
    Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
    What do you do when your ex-boyfriend turns up dead and the murder wants to be paid back?

This book has a slow start, but I really enjoyed it towards the end when more information was given about Nicki. I do think the middle was sort of fluffy in content and dwelled too much on the inner ramblings of Kim, but what can you do? The idea of Nicki is extremely interesting and her personality and manipulative ways makes her a fearsome character that you have to watch for in the story.
    Isabelle
    Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
    Jaclyn
    Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    OMG this is so, so good! I couldn't put it down!

It's an exciting twisty thriller, but more than that it's a compelling character-centric story . Kim is such an awesome heroine -- relatable but also with a fantastic character arc from terror to sheer kickassery. Nicki is coldly manipulative, and makes for a believably formidable villain. And I just love how awesomely nerdy and sweet Alex the love interest is.

Thanks Raincoast Books for the ARC.
    Jessica Gadd
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
    We were sent an ARC of You Owe Me A Murder from Raincoast Books.

You Owe Me A Murder is a contemporary YA thriller about a young girl named Kim who travels abroad and gets wrapped up in a murder pact she desperately wants out of. I thought this was a fast paced book with lots of twists and turns. Loved the story line and it kept us interested throughout. I do wish the ending had a bit more excitement but all in all a good book.
    « previous 1 3 next »
    • Ten Blind Dates
    • Call It What You Want
    • Dreaming Darkly
    • Happily and Madly
    • Containment (Sanctuary, #2)
    • Dealing in Dreams
    • Girls of July
    • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
    • Untitled Standalone
    • Last Girl Lied To
    Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.