Start by marking “You Owe Me a Murder” as Want to Read:
You Owe Me a Murder

You Owe Me a Murder

Seventeen-year-old Kim gets more than she bargained for when she is set up for murder. Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying, E. Lockhart, and Gillian Flynn.

17-year-old Kim never expected to plot a murder. But that was before her boyfriend dumped her for another girl. Now, Kim’s stuck on a class trip to London with him and his new soulmate and she can’t help wishing he wa
Published March 5th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Owe Me a Murder, please sign up.
Nacho so far the writing style is fine and all - so like nothing special. i haven't got to the climax point but there will probably be some tension.

Carrie
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After reading two other thrillers by Eileen Cook I knew that I had to read You Owe Me a Murder. Again, just like with the other two books that I had read previously I found myself quite engrossed from the very start.

Kim is a seventeen year old high school student who had signed up to go on the school trip to London back when she and her boyfriend were together. Having just broken up with him though she’s not looking forward to a couple of weeks in a foreign country watching him with his new girl
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Can’t live with them, hard to get away with killing them.

Kim and Nicki meet on an international flight and after sharing all their woes with each other come to the conclusion that . . . . .

“We have the perfect solution, you know,” Nicki said. “Solution for what?” Her eyes glittered like broken glass. “For our problems. I kill your ex. You kill my mum. We both get what we want.”

You know what happens next, right?????

But nothing
Kendall
I was super excited to get my approval for You Owe Me a Murder!!

Let me start out by saying I love the title of this book! It's catchy and pulls you in right away.

Kim travels to Europe for a study abroad trip and her ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend happen to be on the same trip. Talk about awful! But, her luck seems to be arising when she meets a new girl Nicki on the plane and they instantly bond as friends. Soon things start to heat up with gossip between Nicki and Kim. Nicki suggests that
Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This is literally a straight-up retelling of Patricia Highsmith's STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, only with teen girls instead of adult men and on a plane instead of a train. I guess we could call this book STRANGERS ON A PLANE, then. I see what you did there, author. I see what you did.

The heroine of STRANGERS ON A PLANE - sorry, I mean, YOU OWE ME A MURDER - is Kim. Kim is actually more of an antihero; she's a compulsive liar and pretty unlikable
Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tl;dr: Looking for a contemporary young adult novel that's not afraid to go dark? This one's for you. And for you too! A must *must* read.

You Owe Me A Murder seems like a typical ya thriller at first: mc, Kim is in the airport waiting to go to London on a trip arranged for high schoolers with her ex, Connor, and his new girlfriend. She's miserable and dreading the trip and more than a little angry at Connor. Yes, this sounds familiar, I know.

Then we meet Nicki. She's British, on her way home, a
Cheyenne
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Check out my reviews at https://cheyennereads.home.blog/

This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I have to say, this book was honestly so much fun. Lately I’ve been really into thrillers, and usually YA thrillers aren’t my favorite, but this one really captured the fun of other thrillers I’ve read. This book is about Kim, who meets a stranger at an airport during a flight delay who she bonds with – and unwittingly ends up in the middle of a murder plot.

The plot
 Amelia
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
This was so not what I expected it to be and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though I marked this as a thriller, it was more psychologically tense and slow-paced. I rather liked how the author created an unreliable narrator - we think the MC is a good guy, but the more we learn about her, we see she's not all that nice. I found her to be quite unlikeable actually XD Anyways, I still enjoyed reading from her perspective. All secondary characters were interesting as well because they
Anja H.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
*2.25 ACCUSED STARS*

I had pretty high hopes for this because I loved One of Us is Lying and this was supposed to be quite similar. However, it was a bit of a trainwreck to be honest.
Kim made so many stupid decisions that only got her more into trouble, I wanted to bang her head against the wall so many times!
Amy Risner
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books, 2019-arcs

ARC provided by HMH in exchange for an honest review.

I knew I had to read this the second I found out Eileen Cook was releasing a new book! I have been a fan for a very long time, and I love how Eileen's books always incorporate a thrilling/mysterious theme.

You Owe Me a Murder follows a similar type of story in line with Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith, which was then made into a film by Alfred Hitchcock. The format goes like this: Two strangers meet, in this case, on a plane. One per
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
4.5 Stars

Full Review on The Candid Cover

You Owe Me a Murder by Eileen Cook is a high-stakes thriller that is stressful to read, but in a good way. The plot is full of twists and the characters are enjoyable. The writing style is suspenseful and has edge-of-your-seat action that is present throughout the whole story. This is one incredible thriller for those looking to read a unique murder novel.

❀ ACTION-PACKED

This book tells the story of a girl who is blackmailed into committing a murder after s
Madison (life uh finds a way)
I had high expectations for this and it didn't really meet them. There was a kind of interesting twist at the end but I felt there was major pacing issues throughout the book. It wasn't a bad read persay and I did really like some aspect of the book but overall, it was just "meh".
Jen Ryland
Apr 08, 2019 marked it as setting-aside-for-now
I love Strangers on a Train ... a lot. I tried a few chapters of this and I just wasn't feeling the set-up - a girl going on a study abroad trip - a trip that also includes her ex and his new girlfriend - meets another teenager and they decide to trade murders.
Me: ????????
Maybe the believability level rises past the point I read but setting aside right now.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advance copy for review!

Tara
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book featured some aggravating characters, that's for sure, and I think I spent most of the book pissed off at how stupid or psycho they were. lol The ship was also wayyyyy too insta-lovey, even for me. And I can usually let it slide.

I hope the other book I own by this author is better, because this one was just plain disappointing.

2 stars.
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
*2.5
"'What did you say?'
'You owe me a murder.'"

How frickin disappointing.

This was one of those books where I read the synopsis and thought "I must read this immediately." It was pretty fast if nothing else - I got through this whole book in a day.

I'd really recommend reading this without reading the synopsis. This seems like a good book to read without knowing anything about it beforehand. Here's my synopsis - A drunken conversation on a plane turns into something far more deadlier come sunrise.
Fari
thanks to Raincoast for providing me with an ARC.

I honestly considered dnf-ing this book 25 pages in but I felt like that wasn't fair to the story. Then at 100 pages, I wanted to dnf but it was the only book I had with me, so I read on. Then again 200 pages in but by then, I was too far in the story, so I thought I'd just finish it. I should've dnf-ed it at the start.

The best thing about this story is that it's pretty fast-paced and something about it makes you want to see through to the end (
Michelle
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

....

Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review.

....

Wow this book! I was hooked!

Kim and her boyfriend have recently broken up. She is devastated and heartbroken, and now has to watch him with his newest girlfriend while they all go on a school trip together to England. Kim doesn’t want to see them together, but has no other choice while on the trip.

While at the airport waiting for their flight,
Areve
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
You owe me murder is a manipulative and compelling psychological thriller debut that will keep you up all night. It was about a girl named kim who decided to go on a school based trip in London and her ex-boyfriend and his current girlfriend were on the same plane. While she’s on this trip, she met a stranger named nicki on the plane and they instantly became friends and this is where they both made a murder deal.

To be honest, the title itself already had me hooked in reading this. It is catchy
Shyuan
I was hooked by the title! It was catchy and definitely got my attention. The book though was not what I expected. Aside from that I really do like the author's writing. It was easy to read and the skills of making it entertaining deserve an applaud. Also, I really enjoyed the twist and turns in the book.

Things that didn't really work with me was the ending, it was lacking something. After all the build-up tension, I was expecting something mind-blowing, something jaw drops but it was not in thi
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Thriller
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

What would you do if your boyfriend dumped you for another girl and you had to go on a school trip to England with both of them? Apparently, you go anyway. On the plane to England, Kim meets Nicki and they bond over a bottle of vodka. While drunk, Kim reveals how much she hates Connor and Nicki says she feels the same way about her mom. Wouldn't it be hilarious, she says, if the two of them did each other a favor of killing off
Alex
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of this book is amazing, but it unfortunately never quite reached its full potential.

Our main character, Kim, was extremely frustrating. She was kind of an idiot and made horrible decisions, and how she tried to deal with Nicki was just stupid. She also came across as slightly crazy when it was revealed she was lying about something pretty big, and I'm still not sure what actually happened with her and Connor. (Speaking of which, I'm annoyed that Miriam dropped such a huge bombshell
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.25 STARS Bumped up to 5 because Eileen Cook set the bar so high for herself. Nobody writes dysfunctional friendships on steroids quite like her.

Awaiting a delayed flight in Vancouver, Kim meets Nicki, who challenges Kim to step outside her comfort zone. On the plane, over a bottle of stolen vodka, Kim commiserates about her ex boyfriend Connor, who’s also on her educational trip to London. Nicki opens up about her alcoholic mum and the two girls joke about killing each other’s “problems” ala S
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
While this feels like it could be tightened up in the middle - there's a little too much of Kim fretting, which doesn't add to the suspense - the twists are good and the story largely fascinating. It was the perfect book to read while home sick.
pdbkwm
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After getting dumped by her now ex-boyfriend, Kim wants nothing more than to stay in bed and hide from the rest of the world. Unfortunately for her, she signed herself up for a student trip to London back when she was dating Connor and now her mom is forcing her to go on the trip. The best way to move on is to raise your chin up high, but it's hard to do that when your ex is kissing his new girlfriend in front of you.

But things start to look up when Kim meets Nicki at the airport. The two form a
Paula  Phillips
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite mystery YA writers is Eileen Cook and so when I saw she had a new one released I knew I had to read it. Her mysteries are always fascinating to read as the truth is always left up for the readers to decipher what really happened. In You Owe Me a Murder we meet Kim who is seventeen and headed over to the UK as part of a school exchange program. She is hoping for a fresh start as her ex-boyfriend is on the program as well with his new girlfriend. At the airport, Kim meets Nicki, ...more
Sha
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of HMH Teen through advanced distribution at YALLFest. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

This book was meh for me. That’s the best and first word that comes to mind when I go to describe my experience. It’s such a horrible, horrible way to finish up a read, but also something that I know can be super
thegirlonfire
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
fast easy read this is more of a 3.5 stars read.. i liked the overal book, its enjoyable and funny and dark sometimesd ..kim was kinda annoyin sometimes by hiding things and not telling the thruth etc..i guess i get why she would do..nicky was annoying too but thats be she kept manipulating and blackmailing kim. i wasnt expecting the ending, im fine with it.but i wish we got a bit of story when kim gets home..and her friend emily and with alex idk.. i like alex and kim together they are so cute, ...more
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always know I'm in for a good time whenever I read an Eileen Cook novel. They're addictive and entertaining—just the kind of book I love to read in one sitting. And when I first read the awesome plot description for You Owe Me a Murder, I just knew I had to read it right away too. Secrets. Lies. Blackmail. Murder. I was definitely immediately hooked!

When Kim is stuck on a summer program to London with her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend, she's not exactly in her happy place. She thought sh
Kelly
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG THIS BOOK!!!!! Eileen Cook has done it again with her newest psychological thriller. For fans of twisty, fast paced books with complicated characters, You Owe Me a Murder, is right up your alley. A modern take on Strangers on a Train for our time. It's so clever ans constantly kept me guessing. I really related to Kim, but Nikki was so much fun! I'd love to see a sequel to this.
5 STARS!!
Tiffany
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was dynamic enough for me to finish reading it in one day. I normally enjoy characters that are flawed in a lot of ways and that is definitely our main character Kim. There are a few questions I still have when it comes to this book but overall I really the entire wild ride.
Nolly Rnc
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5
The title is what brought me to that book. The beginning was catchy and I was looking forward for the rest of the book. Unfortunately the ending did not do it for me, it was disappointing. Kim annoyed me a little as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• We Told Six Lies
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • Untitled YA
  • A Song Below Water
  • Sorry For Your Loss
  • His Hideous Heart
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Rumor Game
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Call It What You Want
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Happily and Madly
  • Containment (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Dealing in Dreams
  • Girls of July
  • Immunity (Contagion, #2)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • Last Girl Lied To
Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.