Start by marking “You Owe Me a Murder” as Want to Read:
You Owe Me a Murder

You Owe Me a Murder

Seventeen-year-old Kim gets more than she bargained for when she is set up for murder. Perfect for fans of One of Us is Lying, E. Lockhart, and Gillian Flynn.

17-year-old Kim never expected to plot a murder. But that was before her boyfriend dumped her for another girl. Now, Kim’s stuck on a class trip to London with him and his new soulmate and she can’t help wishing he wa
Expected publication: March 5th 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Owe Me a Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Owe Me a Murder

Elizabeth
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tl;dr: Looking for a contemporary young adult novel that's not afraid to go dark? This one's for you. And for you too! A must *must* read.

You Owe Me A Murder seems like a typical ya thriller at first: mc, Kim is in the airport waiting to go to London on a trip arranged for high schoolers with her ex, Connor, and his new girlfriend. She's miserable and dreading the trip and more than a little angry at Connor. Yes, this sounds familiar, I know.

Then we meet Nicki. She's British, on her way home, a
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
I have yet to read a novel by Eileen Cook, but I am always intrigued by the concepts of her novels. It sounds as though the story might have some black humour in it. The fact that it is perfect for fans of E. Lockhart and Gillian Flynn also has me really excited.
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
While this feels like it could be tightened up in the middle - there's a little too much of Kim fretting, which doesn't add to the suspense - the twists are good and the story largely fascinating. It was the perfect book to read while home sick.
Ashlynn
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
"You Owe Me a Murder" is a fun and suspenseful thriller set to the backdrop of my favorite city in the world: London. Anyone who has traveled as a student, particularly if you've hit up the UK, will relate to the set-up and the group dynamics-- though thankfully none of my previous EF trips have included murder. Similar to a Gillian Flynn novel, "You Owe Me a Murder" is made for younger fans of murder mystery. Perfect for anyone who enjoyed Maureen Johnson's "Name of the Star" or "Truly Devious" ...more
Olivia Wildenstein
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A tailspin of a mystery complete with an unlikeable main character who somehow turns out endearing.

I haven’t read an unreliable-narrator story in almost a year now, and this one didn’t disappoint! It was riveting! Every time you think you have it figured out, the author throws you off with a new reveal.

Thank you to the publisher for the advanced copy.
Jenn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, arc
I received a digital ARC of this title from Edelweiss for an honest review.

Kim is on a study abroad trip with her ex boyfriend and his new girlfriend and she couldn't be more miserable. But on the plane, she meets Nicki and they bond instantly. But after downing most of a bottle of stolen vodka, Nicki suggests that that she murder Kim's ex and Kim can murder her mother, an alcoholic drowning in her addiction. Kim falls asleep and when she wakes up, it's time to land and Nicki is back in her seat
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What a great read! This is my second book by Eileen Cook and like With Malice, it kept me guessing about how things were going to work out. Kim is heading to London on a trip with other students, including her ex boyfriend Connor. While at the airport she meets Nicki, with whom she instantly connects. After drinking and getting a little wild on their plane ride, Kim creates a list of reasons her ex needs to die. When things take a tragic turn, Kim wonders if Nicki was involved and begins to get ...more
Quinn
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

I want to preface this review with the fact that for the most part, I enjoyed this book. Murder, mystery, intrigue, and all set in the UK? It was meant to be a winner for me!

The implausibility of the plot and things that occur in the novel, however, kept me from enjoying this book fully. The author does a great job of pacing and of describing and unfolding events themselves, but for me the events of the book just weren't.
Brittany
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you for the ARC I received from Net Galley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Ugh, the ending killed this one for me. It was so easy, such a cheat. It made me feel horribly let down because a lot of the book was actually pretty okay.

I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars, but at best this book only really deserves 3.5. Parts of it are kind of ridiculous. It’s basically about a book smart girl who is incredibly clingy (think Isla Fisher in Wedding Crashers) and insecure. I know
Bookworm LLC
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
What would you do if your boyfriend dumped you for another girl and you had to go on a school trip with both of them? What would you do if while on the air plane a gal you met at the airport said you should write down why you would want to kill your ex-boyfriend but just as a game? Would you play along?
And what would you do if your ex-boyfriend was killed while on this school trip to London right in front of you in the exact manner as you had written down on that airplane? This is the situation
Isabelle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jaclyn
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG this is so, so good! I couldn't put it down!

It's an exciting twisty thriller, but more than that it's a compelling character-centric story . Kim is such an awesome heroine -- relatable but also with a fantastic character arc from terror to sheer kickassery. Nicki is coldly manipulative, and makes for a believably formidable villain. And I just love how awesomely nerdy and sweet Alex the love interest is.

Thanks Raincoast Books for the ARC.
Kat
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
#NetGalley #YouOweMeaMurder #EileenCook
After reading the synopsis, I knew this one would be a fun read. I wasn't wrong. A spin on the Strangers on a Train story, Eileen Cook keeps the reader on the edge of their seat with twist and turns through out the book. Young adults will love the suspense/thriller aspects of the novel. A definite worth reading book to finish out 2018.
Emily
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting ending.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I'm torn between 2.5 stars and 3. Full review to come.

Thank you to the publisher for sending me an arc this book to read.
Ari
Review closer to the release date.
Meghan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I was intrigued right away when I heard about this book because this book by the description reminded me of a book I just reviewed called Now You See Her by Lisa Leighton but this book was way more intense than I thought which kept me on the edge of my seat.

You Owe Me a Murder focuses on a girl named Kim, who just got dumped by her boyfriend Connor for another girl Miriam and she is force to go on a class trip to London with her class with him and his new girl. She catches up with a few of her c
Ashley
Cloey Robertson
Dec 12, 2018
Sarah Avallone
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is going to be a huge hit with my YA readers. It’s got mystery and death and twists and turns. I had a hard time putting it down. There are a number of intriguing aspects built into the text that will keep the interest of readers.
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018
taylormadebooksya
Dec 05, 2018
Emily Auerswald
Oct 02, 2018
Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.