Start by marking “The Art of Happy Moving: How to Declutter, Pack, and Start Over While Maintaining Your Sanity and Finding Happiness” as Want to Read:

A comprehensive, upbeat guide to help you survive the moving process from start to finish, filled with fresh strategies and checklists for timing and supplies, choosing which items to toss and which to keep, determining the best place to live, saying farewell and looking forward to hello.

Moving is a major life change—time consuming, expensive, often overwhelming, and somet
Published May 7th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Happy Moving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Happy Moving

Start your review of The Art of Happy Moving: How to Declutter, Pack, and Start Over While Maintaining Your Sanity and Finding Happiness
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
"The average American moves 11.7 times in a lifetime..." As a military brat, I've moved a lot more than this and sometimes several times in a single year. And Ali is right, every time you move can be an opportunity to start all over again... and thank goodness for that. I remember one time as a kid that I didn't even care if I made friends since I knew I'd just be moving again soon. On top of all of this, except for moving from apartment to apartment at an obnoxious rate within the same city for ...more
Sasha
In The Art of Happy Moving, Wenzke says that every time you move can be an opportunity to start all over again... I say hallelujah to that, because who doesn’t love a fresh start? ⁣
Brooke
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading Wenzke's book, not just about moving but about choosing a happy path in life and making that life a reality. Wenzke's book offers tons of practical advice on moving but it also reminds you to be gentle with yourself, thoughtful with your decisions, and most importantly to laugh along the way! Wenzke's happy-go-lucky voice cheers you on throughout the pages, reminds you of all the little things you don't want to forget, and makes you feel like you have a friend even when you may fee ...more
Julia
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, self-help
Good book, somewhat helpful for me. It focuses a lot on faraway moves, so a big chunk of the book did not really apply to me, as I am moving within the same city. But I found the moving with kids section helpful, as well as the moving checklists.

Please note that it is USA centric, so if you live elsewhere some of the information may be different.

Overall, this provides a good set of guidelines and a lot of commonsense if you are already an organized person.
Natalie Herr
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful guide for moving that includes more than just the standard moving checklist. 👍
Tiffany
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is The Best book I’ve read this year (it’s number 40ish) I’m a book lover and this book is BEAUTIFUL, funny and super helpful. I listened to it first, and the narrator is a gem. Super energetic and positive and drew me in. The checklists are thorough and fantastic for someone feeling super overwhelmed with the idea of a move after living in the same place for over 10 years and with 2 elementary age children (who LOVE all the things. Everything sparks joy for them). I find Ali to have amazin ...more
Natalie S
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written and organized, as well as humorous and fun. Definitly makes the idea of moving less stressful.
Annika Larson
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full of really good advice
Kimberly Gabriel
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting it, but I felt so connected while reading this book. The narrator's voice is light, relatable, and funny at times, which pulled me right in. Then, of course, it's filled with recommendations, how to's, and check lists- everything you need but might not think of when it comes to moving and decluttering. I have always hated moving and get easily overwhelmed by decluttering, but this book helps both seem manageable.
Amy Jayasuriya
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was super informative and had some out of the box tips and ideas I hadn't thought of. It was thorough. I laughed when I read 'beware, they will ask for a puppy'...but no. lie. They asked for a dog in the exact conversation. I couldn't believe it.
Melissa McGowan
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good book for a younger than me reader who is moving for the first time or moving to another city.
E. Mellyberry
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
I didn't move a lot when I was young, definitely not as many as Ali did, but I can relate to the stress and the cost of moving. I didn't make any list when I moved (wish I did). I didn't have the positive and merry atitude before, during, and after the move (nobody taught me. Where were you, Ali, when I needed you the most?😂).
This book talked about all that, and since Ali wrote it from her own personal experiences, her advice came out warm and genuine. Seriously, it's like having your BFF whispe
Kara LeNoir
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that this book is about moving-one of the worst things to do-this book was a delight to read! It was very engaging; I felt like I was having a conversation with the author herself! I also appreciated the step by step breakdown of how to organize a move, and I plan to utilize her checklists in the months ahead as we prepare for our move. Highly recommend this book for anyone moving or thinking about moving!
Morven
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent book on those considering a move. You're probably thinking "Why do I need a book?" You don't, but it'll be a lot easier and a lot less stressful if you read hers.

Good resource for those thinking of moving, especially if you're moving a house and family. Covers a little bit of everything, even for apartment dwellers.

Recommended.
Nikki Costopoulos Circolone
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! The Art of Happy Moving was a joy to read. Ali Wenzke is the Marie Kondo of moving. It’s filled with amusing stories from an experienced mover, helpful tips and fun quizzes. Next time I move, I will be much more prepared. Makes a great gift for anyone considering a move.
Kathy
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A subject close to my heart... I thought the tips on how to think about if a move makes sense for you and your family were good. And tips for meeting people and making your new town a home were also good. Lots of quizzes if you love a quiz!

Rachel Beider
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book while traveling to a town in another state that my husband and I were considering moving to. I am SOOO glad that I did - I learned a ton right away: everything from choosing the city (hint: rent first!) and all about not falling in love with the house, but with the deal (we were about to make a HUGE mistake). This book saved us years of overpaying for something that wasn't a sure path to happiness. It probably saved our marriage. THANK YOU ALI!!
Gabby
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very aesthetically pleasing little book with new and well known tips on moving. Some of my favorite chapters were: get rid of everything you own, where can you make new friends?, and embracing your town.
Brett
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend The Art of Happy Moving for anybody who is moving or thinking of moving. Moving is stressful, and most books and articles about moving are so dry, but Wenzke’s warmth and humor made this enjoyable to read.
Sailor
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I appreciated how much ground this book actually covered. A nice and comforting read before or during a move
Kimberly
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great tips for moving and/or decluttering.
Chris
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many good hints! Made copies of many of the pages/checklists. Feel like I'm on time with my move.
Andjelka Jankovic
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really practical, personal and light reading guide to moving. I totally agree that however long you think that packing and selling your life will take — add 50% more time.
Mary
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book itself is a weird size and shape and some of the pages are physically difficult to read because of the text. However, it does a great job of looking at moving from dreaming through making new friends in your new home. Great blend of practical action and thoughtful planning.
Dawn Degroot
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This helped me feel less stressed about my move. And gave me some great tips I cant wait to try out to make Albuquerque my new home.
Sara Powers
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Definitky buying before our next move to prepare. Great tips!
Barbara
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Parts of this book were really helpful to me...particularly picturing what I really need and want in my next home.
Kari
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really a great read. I felt better about how we handled our two moves in the last year and gained some great tips on how to make our new house into feeling like our home.
Miss B. Haven Books
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I expected more about logistics of packing for a move.
Lauren  Tomlinson
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very helpful and practical. Has a wide range of moving advice.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Making Space, Clutter Free: The Last Book on Decluttering You'll Ever Need
  • Bibliostyle: How We Live at Home with Books
  • American Cozy: Hygge-Inspired Ways to Create Comfort  Happiness
  • The Martha Manual: How to Do (Almost) Everything
  • Are u ok?: A Guide to Caring for Your Mental Health
  • 10-Minute Declutter: Hundreds of Tips to Organize Every Room of Your House
  • Project 333: The Minimalist Fashion Challenge That Proves Less Really Is So Much More
  • The CHAOS Cure: Clean Your House and Calm Your Soul in 15 Minutes
  • The Useful Book: 201 Life Skills They Used to Teach in Home Ec and Shop
  • New Minimalism: Decluttering and Design for Sustainable, Intentional Living
  • Cosy: The British Art of Comfort
  • Lightly: How to Live a Simple, Serene, and Stress-free Life
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • Make Yourself Cozy: A Guide for Practicing Self-Care
  • Pearls of Wisdom: Little Pieces of Advice (That Go a Long Way)
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • Martha Stewart's Organizing: The Manual for Bringing Order to Your Life, Home & Routines
  • Real Life Organizing: Clean and Clutter-Free in 15 Minutes a Day
Ali Wenzke is the creator of the blog The Art of Happy Moving. After a decade of numerous moves, she is now happily settled in the Chicago suburbs with her husband, three children, and a secret stash of chocolate chip cookies. She doesn't plan on moving any time soon. THE ART OF HAPPY MOVING is her first book.

News & Interviews