Start by marking “The Cerulean” as Want to Read:
The Cerulean

The Cerulean

(Untitled Duology #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Sera has always felt as if she didn’t belong among her people, the Cerulean. She is curious about everything and can’t stop questioning her three mothers, her best friend, Leela, and even the High Priestess. Sera has longed for the day when the tether that connects her City Above the Sky to the earthly world below finally severs and sends the Cerulean to a new planet.

But w
Expected publication: January 29th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Cerulean, please sign up.
Jessica Me too. I read the plotline and was like wow...what in the hell? I want to know more but i don't think i can wait for next year for this book.

Lala BooksandLala
Sep 23, 2016 marked it as on-my-radar  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
wtf this is the weirdest sounding plot! haha
Elise (TheBookishActress)
wait please tell me this won't be one of those “what if straight people were the oppressed ones” stories... it probably won't be but What If

Arc received from the publisher via Keplers for an honest review. [ releases: February 5 2019.]
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
"The Cerulean tells the story of Sera, who lives in a Sapphic utopia where all women have three mothers and a young woman is chosen every 100 years to be abandoned on the planet below as a sacrifice."

Oookaaaaay.

description

Why not?
Christian
Jun 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Okay so the Lone City trilogy was pretty mediocre, but HOLY FUCK TAKE ALL MY SECOND CHANCES BECAUSE THAT COVER.
Kiki
Oct 14, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm really interested in this but the plot sounds so unrealistic lmao. The people live in "a Sapphic utopia" and yet the heroine questions it?

Ahahahahah why?
Hamad
Oct 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sera must throw herself from its edge and end her own life.

I will throw myself from that same edge if this ends up disappointing me!

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
God, THE JEWEL was such an outrageous clusterfuck that I feel obligated to read this and report back after chronicling that first saga of um-wtf-is-going-on-here.

I see that this is promoting itself as a Sapphic society but I'm having visions of GATE TO WOMEN'S COUNTRY meets ROMEO AND JULIET, so let's not hold our collective breaths just yet
Kai
Jun 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, to-buy
it's queer AND it has THAT cover. You will not hear me complain.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
This book better have a blue cover, is all I'm sayin...
☙ percy ❧
Feb 18, 2017 marked it as tbr-unreleased  ·  review of another edition
looks like ewing has responded to criticism of The Jewel as being unoriginal and derivative (which totally isn't true btw and you should read it, it's good) by writing a book with the fucking craziest plot ever. god, i love her.
Melanie
Jul 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Benjamin
Jun 21, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received ARC in exchange for an honest review.

JUST. LOOK. AT. THIS. COVER.

GIVE IT TO ME!!!
Gaby (lookingatbooks)
Jul 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I just got the arc for this and I am thrilled to start it!! 🙌🏻
Rachael

DNF @ 50%
- One Of the coolest worlds/concepts ive ever read BUT
- NEVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I BEEN QUEER BATED SO HARD
- THE MC IS THE ONLY STRAIGHT GIRL IN HER ENTIRE CULTURE OF POLY LESBIANS
- THERE IS ANOTHER LESBIAN MC BUT SHES “NOT LIKE OTHER GIRLS” THIS IS LITERALLY A LINE IN THE BOOK
-DISHONOR ON U AND UR COW
- THIS CONCEPT DESERVED BETTER. WE DESERVED BETTER

Celia McMahon
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper for the E-ARC.

Okay. *deep, ragged breaths* What in the world did I just read?

There may be some spoilers so read at your own risk.

First off, we have one of those apparent protagonists. She doesn't quite fit in. She wonders about things she shouldn't be wondering about. She doesn't like girls they way others do-

I'll back up.

Sera lives in a floating city in space. I have dubbed this place, Floaty City. That is the jist of it. Her society is made up entirely of fema
Taylor
Fuck, that is one gorgeous cover. Hopefully the inside is just as beautiful as the outside (I hear it's gay so there's hope🤞🏻)
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
What a strange book. I didn't know what to think but overall I did enjoy it and will read the sequel.

You dive into the minds of Sera, Leo and Agnes, our narrators. Twins Leo and Agnes are rich kids from Earth, both wrapped in their own problems when a Cerulean, Sera, literally drops from the sky. They will both develop different bonds with Sera and will try to help her when their father enslaves her in his circus.

I find it hard to explain what it's about because it would reveal too much informa
falling asleep reading
AMY EWING ALWAYS HAS THE WILDEST PLOTS I'M SO READY FOR THIS
Stephanie
Dec 25, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is the strangest sounding plot o.O

That cover is so pretty <3 And it has a publication date for February!
♠ Tabi ♠
LOOK AT THIS PRETTY, PRETTY COVER!!!
jaroda
Jun 15, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but all that's going out the window for this one. I need to check this out when it publishes. How can you resist a beautiful cover like that?
rachel
cause of death: this cover reveal
Emily (emilykatereads)
This sounds SO weird, but I'm SO down for a sapphic utopia.
Cassie James
The publisher gave me an ARC in exchange for an honest review and this doesn't in any way influence my opinion on it.
description

The Cerulean by Amy Ewing is a book I've been ecstatic for ever since I heard about it. I loved her previous trilogy so I've been looking forward to the next book from her.
Sera Lighthaven has a very curious mind. Born in the City Above the Sky, a realm of sorts that's tethered to a planet by a magical thread, she's always wondered about everything. The welfare of the planet belo
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Doesn’t the plot summary of The Cerulean leave you wondering what you just read? I have a feeling that Ewing is planning to take us on a wild ride. I am here for that “mysterious underbelly!”
Kelsey
My name is Sera Lighthaven. I am a Cerulean and I am going home.

I dunno what I just read but I think I liked it?

Half of this is an alien girl trying to go home, and her fellow alien friend trying to seek her out. The other half is the sparring kids of a rich p-playwright(??), trying to carve themselves a little corner where their father or the reputation of their family can't get to them.

It's weird. There's a talking tree. A little water creature that lights up like a rainbow when it speaks. A
★MC's Corner★
Love it!
Thank you Harper Collins for the Advance Readers Copy!!!
Serethiel
Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
THAT. COVER. 😍😍😍
  • The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • The Hearts We Sold
  • Untitled (Starters #3)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Endless Water, Starless Sky (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #2)
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an