Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1

(Fullmetal Alchemist #1)

4.50  ·  Rating details ·  112,131 ratings  ·  1,549 reviews
Alchemy tore the Elric brothers’ bodies apart. Can their bond make them whole again?

A hardcover, deluxe collector’s edition of one of the most beloved manga and anime of all time! Fully remastered with an updated translation and completely fresh lettering, and presented with color pages on large-trimmed archival-quality paper, this gorgeous hardcover edition presents the
Hardcover, Fullmetal Alchemist: Fullmetal Edition (Book 1), 280 pages
Published May 8th 2018 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1, please sign up.
Cressie Patterson Yes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular…moreYes, Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga, which tells its story through drawn artwork and dialogue, but this one is relatively shorter than most popular shonen series. FMA finished up with 27 manga volumes. It was such a hugely popular series, it also spawned five novels as well, so you could read those if you didn't want to try your hand at manga. The first Fullmetal Alchemist novel is called "The Land of Sand". You can find them on Ebay.

It's kind of odd that you were prompted to read Fullmetal Alchemist if you like Harry Potter but don't have an interest in manga. Most likely because of the link that both series have to the Philosopher's Stone, but they don't really have that much else in common. Well, I'd say that Edward Elric, the main hero character in FMA is even more altruistic than Harry Potter, and both series have over-the-top villains that want to take over the world, but the FMA story is darker, in it's own way, than Harry Potter. Still, because of the common link between the two series, crossover fanfictions between Harry Potter & FMA are very popular on fanfic websites. Both series boast casts of incredibly colorful and likable characters, both have unforgettable storylines, and both series have spawned incredibly popular theme park attractions at Universal Studios Parks, HP currently, and FMA used to have one in Japan.

If you can't get into reading manga, you should try watching the FMA anime series. The first one, made in 2003, follows the author's story only halfway through the series, then the anime production crew made up their own ending to finish the series, seeing as the manga's creator was still in the middle of her story. The second series, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, made in 2009, follows the original manga storyline more faithfully until the end, although it does rush through the early details of the series, since they were already known to the fans from watching the first series.(less)
Crimsonsnow I guess if you've finished Brotherhood you've basically finished reading the manga, plot-wise it's quite faithful. If you do have the interest to read…moreI guess if you've finished Brotherhood you've basically finished reading the manga, plot-wise it's quite faithful. If you do have the interest to read the manga, try to read a bit though, there are quite a lot of things not presented in the anime.(less)

·  112,131 ratings  ·  1,549 reviews

Start your review of Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
Raeleen Lemay
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicomanga
This was great! Pumped to check out the anime(s) and more volumes of the manga soon.
Lola
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, magic, steampunk
I have no idea what, in this manga, prompted an average rating of 4.47/5 stars. No idea. It's even higher than Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (which is the most read manga on GR) and Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 which, until it became too repetitive, used to be my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E manga series. Because the characters and drawings and world-building are extraordinary.

Nonetheless, the world-building in this book too wasn't bad either. But there were too many characters that appeared and then disappeared... no
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Buddy read with Bhavik
It's my first time reading this series and I'm hyped!

Looking forward to this so much, friend!

I've decided to review each volume by chapter, as each chapter has an underlying theme that can't be ignored. Also, it's mostly me rambling and fangirling so I apologise in advance. Compared to most of my "articulate" reviews, these will be a jumbled mess.

"The Two Alchemists" (二人の錬金術師 Futari no Renkinjutsushi) - containing one of the most memorable anime scenes of my childhood

"If
Kogiopsis
Love love love love love.

It's actually been quite some time since I first read this volume, and now that my public library has finally started buying the series (just in time for me to leave town - thanks, guys) I checked out the first seven on a whim.

I'd actually forgotten a lot about this volume. Somehow I got the idea that the Cornello/Liore plot was stretched over the entire volume, and that Youswell was in V. 2, and obviously that was wrong - and the train thing I'd forgotten entirely. It
Caroline
full series review now up on my channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9cDc...

YAY a new favourite! My boyfriend and I recently bought the full boxset of this manga (27 volumes hell to the yeah!) because it was EXTREMELY cheap* on bookdepository and we have no self control. I have been wanting to read this for so long and now I'm getting into it and honestly I am so hype.

The story is so much fun and I already love both Edward and Alphonse. I find Edward incredibly relatable... not because of
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

Um.... Am I missing something??

This series has a super high average (4.49 as I write this) and several of my friends have really enjoyed it. But I was just very underwhelmed?

This is incredibly creative, both the magical aspect and the brothers being the way they are. The brothers were both fun characters and their loyalty to each other was enjoyable.

But I wish this world had been explained a little more before they just started embarking on all these different adventures. It sort of
Ilias
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All manga readers
Shelves: manga, favorites
I can't imagine someone not liking this. I just can't....
If you like manga, you will like this.
Lily
3.5 stars *flips coin to decide whether to round up or down*

Of all the stages of grief, "bargaining" has always struck me as the most interesting and memorable: the appraisal of all we have and don't have, and the hypothetical transactions that we think would make things better. It's an activity whose allure is counterbalanced by its low probability of success. What would the world be like if bargaining actually had some chance of working? That's the world of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Rusty Grey
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This manga has definitely one of the best anime adaptations as Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood . But let's not take anything away from the original material . I loved this manga . Definitely recommend .
Melanie Jasmine
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read a manga in such a long time!!! I loved the Elric brothers!!! Can't wait to keep reading!!!
Aisyah ♡
It's been 10 years-ish since I first read it, still one of the best shonen manga ever. It is right up there with the classics such as Naruto, Bleach, Death Note etc.

Join Edward Elric and his brother, Alphonse Elric in the quest of finding the ultimate power of alchemy in a world that is filled with science, magic and automails.

This manga is intelligent and downright riveting, I've read it countless of times and it never fails to entertain and amaze me. It has a solid story line and excellent
Lizziegolightly
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Fullmetal Alchemist in its anime form is one of my favorite television shows. I watch it religiously, even now that I have seen every episode. I never read manga before and basically, I picked up this edition because of my devotion to the program.

This first installment of the manga is damn near close to (if not completely) identical to the first few episodes of the show. I won't give away the plot twists, just for those of you who haven't seen it yet. The essential storyline, though, is that
King Haddock
I have become a skeptical reader over the years. It's because I've read A LOT. I was the kid who could read over 12,000 pages in a single summer - and I know because I counted. So I learned about plots, characterization, and all the things authors can do to make reading a pleasant experience.

Unfortunately, after a while, you become so knowledgeable of the meta-world that you lose sight of the treasure within the tale. Frequently I pick up a fantasy or science-fiction novel off a shelf and think,
Nərmin
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who loves great stories with great characters
Recommended to Nərmin by: Argona
First rewiev
Very good and entertaining opening... I liked Elric brothers and Edward is so cool with that intelligence and style. His shortness is cute though.)
The artwork is not that pretty but good enough to deliver the story. Going to read next volumes.)

Rewiev of all manga

One of the best manga in the world! Even if I haven't read all the manga, I can surely say it.
God! Who transmuted all these onions into tears? But don't worry, Edward. It is tears of joy!
This one month of my
Jedi JC Daquis
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really blown away, but it is a great start for Fullmetal Alchemist! It is a great teaser for everything you will expect from the series. Hiromu Arakawa has perfectly set the pace and the amount of humor and action in the story. As early as now, I can see why this is one of the best rated manga series in history.

Volume 1 establishes the foundations of a terrific tale of the Alchemist brothers and I am very excited to be in this crazy, fun (and at times endearing) manga ride.
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: wishlist
The best goddamn masterpiece ever in written history.
Artemy
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Really fun manga! It's somewhat similar to Dragon Ball with its playful and humorous tone and loveable characters, and it also has a more serious overarching plot and some very cool mythos and world building. Will definitely keep on reading.
Hassan
I appreciate the originality in Manga.
they're always original and different than any other story.
and this one was as good as any Manga i've read, i'm just hoping that we could discover more of the world and the magic system, cause it's a bit vague so far.
Ahmed Tharwat
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
First time to read a mangaexcited to read the rest of the volumes.... ...more
Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anime Lovers
Shelves: love, ya, own, part-of-a-series
I first saw this series on Netflix. Let me just say I watched almost all of the episodes till Netflix assholes took out seasons two and three for NO REASON.

I love this series! Not my first anime I've fell in love with but I of course fell in love with the characters anyways, two brothers, Edward and Alphonse Elric.

Cori Reed
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This was a super fun first volume! I have the feeling I'm really going to enjoy this series.
Gavin Abdollahi
description

Even if you've watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, you should still read the manga, since it has more adventures that were deleted in Brotherhood.

This was quite fun.
The story revolves aroun the Elric brothers, whom have performed the forbidden alchemical trnasmutation:
Human transmutation.
In an attempt to bring back their dead mother, Edward Elric loses his left leg, and his younger brother, Alphonse, loses his whole body. In a desperate attempt to bring back his brother, he sacrifices
Zoe
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fullmetal Alchemist happens to be a one-of-a-kind in the manga genre. I mean, c'mon people: has ANYONE encountered such a brilliantly diverse series? Amongst a world of manga that is somewhat the same and unoriginal(enough with the vampire manga already, people!), Fullmetal Alchemist, or FMA as it is nicknamed by fans, stands out.
This series is so well-known that I really shouldn't have to summarize it, but I will just in case you are one of the five or six people on this planet who have no
Rebecca
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*metaphorically cracks knuckles*

- a good start, introduced to the main characters and got a basic background on them and the plot
- i think the overarching plot of the series has to do with the philosopher's stone, but it was only mentioned in chapter 1?
- i really like edward. he's a little shit so ofc i would like him most.
- chapter 1 is probably my fave of the four.
- the art style seemed a little messy, but in a good way.
Mal
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly so glad to be reading this. Finally, right? Haha! I watched Brotherhood a while back and was totally in love (though, admittedly, I didn't like the first season much and had a hard time keeping at it, but once I took a break and then came back I was hella ready to plow through it). Crying though because I know things and I don't wanna go through that again D: *cry*
Marnie Ava
A great piece of light-hearted manga that is quick and entertaining. I could definitely see myself getting into this, although I definitely wouldn’t rate the volume one more than three stars purely because it is just not as detailed and complex as other mangas I LOVE like death note. Altogether a fun series I’ll definitely be continuing throughout this year!
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
This was alright. I don't feel compelled to continue, but reading the first volume was fun enough. I wonder if I would have liked this more if I had read it as a kid.
Emory's Defunct Profile
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves manga/anime or a good story.
Recommended to Emory's Defunct Profile by: HI SARAH!!! *waves through computer*
Shelves: reviewed
Grace, Queen of Crows and Tomes
Oh my goodness, I can't believe I almost forgot how much I absolutely love this series!!! This manga really helped me though as I was about to get in a reading slump. This manga is full of action, comedy, and a unique take on alchemy!! Plus, I absolutely love and adore Edward Elric Definitely check this one out, it's a classic!!! ...more
Leigh
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, manga
This series is just utter genius. So much symbolism, character growth, and deep themes concerning religion, science, and culture with clear reference to real life history without every being disrespectful. It's a lot darker than it seems. In terms of plot, it's amazing. How the author was able to bring the world and characters together and how none of the were insignificant. I grew up on the original anime adaptation which I loved as it's own story but the newer animation takes it a whole new ...more
Willmar Public Li...: Fullmetal Alchemist 1 1 Jan 16, 2020 11:52AM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist 1 2 Jun 11, 2019 02:28PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist Discussion 1 2 Jun 11, 2019 02:26PM
YouTube Anime/Man...: FullMetal Alchemist Discussion 1 1 Jun 02, 2019 06:42PM
Fullmetal Alchemist Book Tag 1 8 Mar 21, 2018 12:42PM
Visual Novels Boo...: Fullmetal Alchemist 1 Discussion 1 3 Aug 31, 2017 04:57AM
Why do you read Manga and watch Anime? 14 129 Jun 07, 2017 07:32AM

• Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 12
  • 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 [Boku No Hero Academia 1] (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Naruto, Vol. 08: Life-and-Death Battles (Naruto, #8)
  • Bleach, Volume 01
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 (Ouran High School Host Club, #1)
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 1
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 1 (Attack on Titan, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 01 (Soul Eater, #1)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1] (Kimetsu no Yaiba, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 18
  • ワンパンマン 1 [Wanpanman 1] (Onepunch-Man, #1)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)
“Nothing's perfect, the world's not perfect. But it's there for us, trying the best it can; that's what makes it so damn beautiful.” 512 likes
“Humankind cannot gain something without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. This is Alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth.” 421 likes