Start by marking “Ideal Angels” as Want to Read:
Ideal Angels

Ideal Angels

Is it possible to keep secrets in the age of social media? When someone lives their entire life in the spotlight, what could they possibly hide from you?

Ideal Angels explores just that. It’s the story of one man, one woman, one week. They meet, fall in love, and never look back. Eloise’s phone is never far away, furiously cataloguing their ups and downs.
Published August 16th 2018 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about Ideal Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ideal Angels

Mark
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Hey, well the author lists his biggest influence as Brett Easton Ellis and as a previous reader of his novels you can see his style in this book
The story is a modern day fairy tale love story between the guy ( you never actually know his name as is written in ‘second person’ ) and Eloise
The second person narrative is well written and I felt I was feeling his emotions and story, I really liked ‘him’, his self deprecating style and humour and his brutal honesty and at times resigned ho
Seanclary
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[Full disclosure: I was sent this book by the author to review.]

Ideal Angels is a story about how love can both save and destroy you.

Told from the viewpoint of a socially inept office drone, it describes his brief but intense relationship with a beautiful, gregarious art student named Eloise Dunhill. Eloise is obsessed with social media, and from the moment they meet, she records every single thing they do together. (Fortunately, he’s completely obsessed with her, so it’s okay.)

Interestingly, a/>Ideal
Chris Ryall
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Welbourn has managed to encapsulate a generation. Whereas Stephen King describes characters so brilliantly, Robert describes lifestyles with the same fascinating clarity. We’re all aware that people in the 21st century are living their lives like the characters in his book, but very few of us can so eloquently paint a picture of it like he has done in Ideal Angels.

There’s also a confronting honesty in the way Robert writes, doing away completely with jaded euphemisms and the typical illu
Hayley
Ideal Angels is about an unnamed protagonist who lives a normal, fairly underwhelming life going to work and coming home, spending a lot of his time alone. Then on a night out he meets Eloise and immediately feels a connection to her. They swap numbers and the next time they meet up things become intense very quickly. Eloise is obsessed with social media and records every little detail of their time together. He isn’t keen, he doesn’t use social media but he allows her to keep taking photos beca ...more
Elliot Harper
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut book by Robert Welbourn is both a social commentary on the use of social media in modern life and a stark look at the affects of depression and alcoholism. Genuinely gripping and heartbreaking reading this book sometimes felt like I was peering into the authors soul due to its frankness and emotion. The portrayal of the use of social media will be familiar to everyone of us living in the 21st century. With gritty realism, portrayal of problems every day people face and tackling of men ...more
Emma
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
In a world where screens and social media dominate our lives it is hard to be invisible. Wherever you go there are people glued to their phones taking photos, updating statuses and checking in. We live in a world where our privacy settings are public and we share every single detail about our life online. What we had for breakfast, what we are watching on Netflix; an endless list of mundane information that we feel needs to be told. Welbourn uses this to his advantage in Ideal Angels and sets in ...more
Hayley
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am all for reading books by local authors, and I'm ashamed to say that Ideal Angels has been sat on my TBR pile for far too long. Shame on me!

We meet an unnamed protagonist in Ideal Angels. On a Friday night out after work with his colleagues he meets the enchanting Eloise. A few days later Eloise messages him and they go out for dinner and their relationship very quickly (and intensely) blossoms. But Eloise has many traits that our leading character couldn't get on board with. Whi
Andrew Carter
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read that Robert Welbourn is holding a book signing at my local WHSmith and, as a fellow Leeds-based author, I was interested to see what Ideal Angels was about. After reading the sample content on Kindle, I was hooked and bought the full book immediately. Apart from Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney, I can't recall reading any other books written in second person narrative, but I think, when used well like this, it works brilliantly.

In Ideal Angels, you are instantly drawn into
Paul
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find the best works of fiction tap into your emotions, in whichever direction, and Ideal Angels did this for me in buckets. Immediately the impact of social media on our day to day lives (well, every waking hour!) was apparent (causing me to switch off my phone for much of the holiday!), but there was so much more to this book!

Ideal Angels is, in my view, an exceptional piece of observational narrative. The impact of our obsession with social media has been cleverly captured within
Madison Diaz
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what exactly to think at the beginning of this novel as it was written in second-person, a somewhat unsettling way to read. We get to know the main character's life through his eyes as if we are him which was pretty interesting throughout the novel. The main character had realistic thoughts about society and wondering if he's ever precisely fit into it, especially with social media culture becoming the norm.

He meets Eloisa and everything isn't necessarily perfect, but it's better.
Gareth Butler
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Robert has done an amazing job here of making me feel while I was reading this book.

He perfectly captured what it is like in those early stages of love and how amazing that feels but also the insecurities that can come along with this. I cared about the characters. I was routing for them the whole time, turning the pages and wanting to see how their love for each other would grow stronger and stronger. The kind of love where nothing else matters except you and them against the world.
Megan Wall
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most poignant stories I have read, and especially relevant in this age of social media culture and obsession!

The characters, the plot, the message - simply faultless. I truly felt as though I was experiencing the emotional journeys of the characters myself. A real page-turner.

The story, set in Leeds, tells the story of the brief yet intense relationship between the narrator and Eloise, a social media-obsessed girl with whom the narrator is infatuated. But with
Eli Allison
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ideal Angels is stylistically bold, pacy and provocative. The brutal honesty with which the main character reflects the world around him, but also his own demons, is fearless. And although I didn't 100% enjoy the ending, I understood why events took the turn they did. The writing is punchy, but still establishes time and place beautifully. It helps that the book is set is my own stomping ground... Leeds Leeds Leeds!
The POV choice (2nd person) can be hard to get right but the author manages to t
Cliff Cloff
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I took Ideal Angels on holiday as a casual read. One I expected to slowly work my way through over the course of two weeks. From page one however, I was gripped. Within a couple of days I had experienced the highs and lows of the books main character; a character that I deeply understood and related to. It follows him through a whirlwind romance, detailing the ecstasy that comes with it, alongside the inevitable self doubt, insecurities and trauma.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the boo
Lyndon Phillips
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ideal Angels is a great modern retelling of the confusion of falling in love, not really understanding where it comes from or why it has happened, and the realistic conflictions in attaining it in the current times. He comments on the dehumanisation of today’s online dating, one particular quote really ringing as a true observation of dating apps “You hate the idea of trying to define yourself in writing, of limiting characters that limit your character.” A good short read that I would recommend ...more
Daniel Jennings
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ideal Angels is a fantastic love story for the contemporary age of social media. Exploring the travails of love and live for the Instagram generation, this is a highly readable debut novel from a promising author.
Hannah Jennings
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenchingly raw. You can feel the authors emotion and pain and it’s heartbreaking. This book will stick with you. Must read.
Jennie Brant
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It’s so well written you feel so many emotions with the main character. Definitely highly recommend!!!!!
Mary Caldwell
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book shines a light on the pressure facing young men in today's world to live by the unrealistic expectations of social media. A powerfully told story which stays with you long after you finish the book. Difficult as it was to read, it was impossible to put down.
Alex
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark, pacey and with a real twist.
Melissa Hudson