Start by marking “Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying” as Want to Read:
Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying

Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying

We all sit on the edge of a mystery. We have only known this life, so dying scares us—and we are all dying. But what if dying were perfectly safe? What would it look like if you could approach dying with curiosity and love, in service of other beings? What if dying were the ultimate spiritual practice?

Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush began their friendship more than four decades
Published September 4th 2018 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Walking Each Other Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Each Other Home

Start your review of Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying
Literary Soirée
“Walking Each Other Home: Conversations on Loving and Dying” by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush is a wise guide for end-of-life living, loving and grieving. The authors, well-known spiritual gurus and friends, share in the most personal fashion about how best to support the dying, how to leave a spiritual legacy, and how to walk this final path together. This poignant and illuminating book explores how to live and how to die consciously, treating this final stage as perhaps one’s most important spirit ...more
Justin
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

This book didn't resonate with me as much as some of my favorite Ram Dass books (Polishing the Mirror and Be Here Now). That being said, it is one of his better books and a book most people familiar with him will be sure to love. My main complaints about this book are that it repeats some stories from earlier media and is a bit less dense than it could be. I think most people will not mind these problems as the love and wisdom that
Kelly
Dealing with grief any time is awful, but there's a special kind of awful when it happens this time of year. This book has been tremendously helpful and insightful and affirmed a lot of things I saw and experienced at my grandmother's bedside as she passed this week, a day after Dass himself died.
David
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book, with ambitious goals: To help readers get rid of their fear of death; to help those living with grief and loss; to help those sitting with the dying; and to help those who are dying. To my mind, it is a very successful effort, but then, I may not be entirely unbiased.

I first heard of Ram Dass when my older brother brought home a copy of "Be Here Now," back when the book came out (I was in my teens). I was fascinated, but life went on and I didn't read another book by Ra
Kari Yergin
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Book: walking each other home. Ram Das

There are a lot of good questions, some real nuggets of answers. The structure felt so randomly conversations, though, which they admit right in the title. Had it been less informally structured and therefore less repetitive, it would have seemed better to me

If I’m going to die the best way for me to prepare is to quiet my mind and open my heart. If I’m going to live, the best way for me to prepare is to quiet my mind and open my heart.

Getting close to wh
Anne
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book full of wisdom and love. I have not read any other books by these authors but I certainly will seek them out next. I love the fact that the book was written as a conversation between the two authors as they sought to ponder the topic of death and why we are so afraid to talk about it, think about it and except it. It felt like I was right there with them, experiencing their time together and their conversation, which made the book easy to read even though the topics are d ...more
Denise
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you enjoy a book on death and dying? Get the info from Ram Dass. While I’ve read most of what he has said on the topic in his many other books, this is getting it all in one place. It is fresh from the standpoint of Ram Dass’ advanced age and experience at this point in time, nearing his own death. Also it’s co written with longtime friend, Mirabai Bush. I got to know Mirabai a bit more here and she’s great! I am biased about Ram Dass.

I genuinely love Ram Dass. I first loved him because
Kathy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good conversation starter for discussing the inevitable for all of us. I'm not a guru follower myself, but do share Ram Dass' perspective of the how we are all part of a greater 'consciousness' or whatever your concept of god(s) might be. I especially like the ice cube metaphor (p. 60) for our passing, i.e. that we are each, physically and metaphysically, like an ice cube (although I would say snowflake) that melts into the ocean when we pass away, the ocean being the Universal Consciousness.
andrea
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
just beautiful.
death can paradoxically be a transformative gift and one of the greatest teachers in life.. a final culmination of all experiences on earth, often bringing spiritual opening and expression of true reverence for life. it can seem so terrifying at the same time, loss of self/everything one “knows”, not to mention the impact on loved ones. rd and mirabai really hit all the points i wanted in this book, how to approach death (and life), how to be with a dying person, work with grief,
M. Sarki

Many of the spiritual ideas and ensuing guidance read in this book I previously have already considered. Some points made by Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush I reject and others I am still considering. However, there are many Ram Dass positions that I do believe. But for a person who thinks this life is it, that this life is all he has and that the worms will get him just as they get everyone else, the importance of reading this book becomes paramount given the o
Jackie St Hilaire
No matter where you live, no matter if you are influential, rich or famous; we are all alike.

We were all born from the same "source" and we will all return to the same "source".

When our natural physical state leaves our body we are hopeful that we will not have to go through this transition alone. If we live our present life alone and don't let another into our 'inner sanctum", our transition will be painful, there will be much suffering and purification in the letting go process.

It is good to b
Patty
”If we love well, we will die well. Making peace with death and being fully in the moment allows us to lose ourselves in love, in the love of the beauty and awe of the manifestation of God, in the love of ourselves and others, and in the love of everything else – the suffering, the pain, the joy. We can’t know when we will die, and living without knowing requires surrender, surrendering our hope and fear so we can open our hearts to life and compassion grow. Then when death comes, we are read to ...more
Ann
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drawing on several different religious traditions, Walking Each Other Home offers a spiritual perspective on death to help attend others in their deaths as well as to help us with our own. The book is written as a series of reflective conversations between Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush. The book beings with a preface and an introduction to the eight following sections of conversations which progress from a consideration of death, to personal experiences of death, to being present as another dies, to ...more
Tomomi Landsman
I received an Uncorrected Proof of this book for free from Kew & Willow as part of their rewards program. Given a choice among non-fiction, fiction, and young adult, I chose non-fiction.

While I am not a complete skeptic and have sought out meditation and mindfulness practices, I was mostly unconvinced by this book. I found the psilocybin and LSD use especially eyebrow-raising, with Ram Dass using LSD during his father's funeral.

I did appreciate how this book encourages you to think about death a
Jenneffer
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loving Ram Dass for over a decade, but learning something new about him and his legacy everyday, this beautiful book of conversations found me at just the right time. My grandfather died last summer, and I have been stuck in grief since that time. I didn't know how to move on, or that I was even stuck at all. Just that life has been dull and I can't find my voice, or have the courage to make hard choices.

Reading these conversations through the lens of love, about death, dying, compassion, and so
Cathryn Wellner
A gentle, heart-opening book created by two long-time friends. In my eighth decade, I am comfortable with conversations about death and have the inevitable experience of sitting with friends nearing that passage. But there is always more to learn about how others approach the mystery and what they believe happens once that spark of life is extinguished. I found this book as comfortable as a warm robe and slippers but not as helpful as two other books, Being Mortal (my favourite) and Everything H ...more
Pt Wallace
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wonderful guidebook for anyone who is grieving the loss of a loved one or who may be approaching death themselves.
Together, Ram Dass and Mirabai Bush guide readers through some of the most fearful parts of our lives. They explain that fear is natural in the face of death because we have only known this life. They explain how we can release fear by approaching death with a new way of thinking and show readers that there are spiritual opportunities within the dying process.

I recommended for tho
Dan Schaller
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Radically Perspective-changing

Miraba does a wonderful job of summarizing hours and hours of conversation and contemplation about living, dying, and embracing death into an extremely readable book.

She and Ram Dass, through their conversations, share the results of lifetimes of contemplation of, and experience with death that offer a radically different view of dying than that held by the majority of westerners.

In addition, they give us practical, loving instruction on being with someone in the im
Snickerdoodle
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
You don't have to believe everything in this book to find plenty to nourish your thoughts about love, death and dying. You need not know anything about Ram Dass, whose thoughts these are, or Mirabai Bush who put them together in a meaningful way. The point of the book is that this is something we're collectively afraid of and so, refuse to think much about it at all, much less spend time thinking about in a personal manner - till we're in the same room with it, and don't know how to cope with th ...more
Jane Bystry
I found the tone of this book to be a pleasantly relaxed, low key exploration of the end of life through repeated conversations between two long-time friends. Author Ram Dass primarily shares Buddhist beliefs and practices, but is not trying to convert anyone. Rather, he is inviting persons of all faiths/practices to find something useful that they can adopt in their own lives, guiding us to live fuller lives and approach death as a natural ending to a life well-lived. Toward the end of the book ...more
Charlotte
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Ram Dass. This one is full of insight about aging and dying. Co-written with Mirabei
Bush it take us on the pathway to easing ourselves into old age and eventually death, but without fear. It is like Ram Dass and Mirabei take our hands and show us the way to navigate those years without fear but through our spiritual practice, love and gentle kindness. A wonderful book about a taboo subject, at least here in the U.S. Anyone who is 50 or above or any age really give it a read. Surely squel
Cat
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had hoped for a better book, but found this one disappointing. It just did work for me. had hoped for a bit more on accepting death, maybe, or understanding it. Hmmmm, I guess we all have to figure it out ourselves. Just to New Age-y for my tastes. But I am sure it will have a ppeal as it is very personable and an easy read. Just not for me.
Leanne
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy, death
I read a little of this each night before going to sleep, and I found it comforting and relaxing. It wasn't exactly profound, but I think the title exactly captures the book and the conversations it contains. I love the idea that being with someone through their death is a way to walk them home. I'm looking forward to reading Ram Dass's thoughts on aging.
Amanda Palmer
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are dying, have a loved one dying, have ever dealt with a painful death, are afraid of death - THIS is the book for you! My mother died when I was 15 and I have had a real fear of death my whole life - this book has helped me to understand death from a new perspective and I feel strongly that everyone should read this book!
David
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walking Each Other Home

This book goes to the essence and core of our human experience. The gentle, loving spirit of Ram Dass flows off the page and comforts the reader with wisdom and serenity.
Ariadne Deborah Fassel
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rediscovered Ram Dass a year or so ago, along with his constellation of fellow teachers on Love, Serve, Remember. Reading this book is listening in on a meaningful conversation, complete with reminiscences and insights. I have been ambling through this slowly at bedtime.
Chris Webber
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry. Books rarely make me cry. It's gritty and gets to the heart of why we are here, what gives our lives meaning and purpose, and prepares us to accept the reality we are impermanent.

And how to bridge that commonality at the heart and communication level.
Sarah Virginia Lombard
I found this book so soothing. It really reminded me of an easier time on this planet so I was reminded to stay in the moment and just be. The meditations at the end of the book were so beautiful. It really reminded me that we really are all one in the human condition.
Donald LaPlante
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all

Well done. A spiritual journey of living life the fullest by confronting our fear of death. Those who have been with others when passing over will gain new insight. For those of us fast approaching our inevitable end will learn much as well.
Sean Ruprecht-belt
I loved this. It was a bit dense to get through and required a lot of putting the book down and thinking about what I had just read. But it is one of the better books by Ram Dass that I've had the pleasure of reading.

• The Dark Interval: Letters on Loss, Grief, and Transformation
  • Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics
  • The Five Invitations: Discovering What Death Can Teach Us About Living Fully
  • Chants of a Lifetime: Searching for a Heart of Gold
  • Metahuman: Unleashing Your Infinite Potential
  • The Finders
  • The Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead
  • In Love with the World: A Monk's Journey Through the Bardos of Living and Dying
  • Whatever Arises, Love That: A Love Revolution That Begins with You
  • When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • The Faithful Gardener: A Wise Tale About That Which Can Never Die
  • The Gift of Story: A Wise Tale About What is Enough
  • A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster
  • Running with Sherman
  • Restore: 20 self-care rituals to reclaim your energy
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 2: Some Enchanted Evening (Moonstruck #2)
Ram Dass (Richard Alpert), was one of America's most beloved spiritual figures, making his mark on the world giving teachings and promoting loving service, harmonious business practices, and conscious care for the dying. His spirit has been a guiding light for four generations, carrying millions along on the journey, helping free them from their bonds as he has worked his way through his own.

News & Interviews

“We often think that vulnerability is a kind of weakness, but there's a kind of vulnerability that is actually strength and presence.” 0 likes