Start by marking “Deadline (Harrietta Lee, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deadline (Harrietta Lee, #1)

Deadline

(Harrietta Lee #1)

Disgraced witch Harrietta Lee has made a lot of mistakes in her life; there's a reason she's got a sizable burn scar slapped across the side of her neck and a formal letter of excommunication from the international underground magical community. But who has time to dwell on the past when you're trying to make rent in New York? Things are mostly clean and simple, until her ...more
Published May 15th 2018 by Author via Amazon

Lex Kent
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars. I needed a little break from ARC’s so I decided to give Deadline a chance. Parts of this book I really enjoyed, others I had some issues with. I had some high expectations before reading this so part of my discontent might be an issue of my own making. On the other hand I did enjoy this enough to read book 2.

I was impressed with the writing. This was a debut by a college student so that blew me away a bit. Ahn has a good imagination and it showed. I was happy with the world building
Corrie
Excuse me, but for a debut author, college student Stephanie Ahn puts many a seasoned writer to shame. Deadline (first installment of the Harrietta Lee Series) was rocking from page one. What a fantastic read! It has humor, it has drama, it has a kick-ass witch with a troubled past, some kink, a sexy demon, a lost magical artifact.

I loved this part:

It’s not really for Johanna at all. It’s more for Luce and me, the two bereaved apprentices struggling to realize we’re not apprentices anymore. Luce
Lexxi Kitty
I'm not really sure why I just jumped into this blindly. I'd a vague recollection of the book description before I started, but all I really knew was that the book involved magic, witches, and a woman in a suit called Harry.

A story about a too stupid to live character who stumbles around doing dumb fucking things, getting in trouble for it, getting off on it (if it involved being whipped by a succubus), and somehow stumbling powerfully through things no one actually believes she has the power to
Joc
I'm hooked... and now I have to wait!
Bugs
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who is Stephanie Ahn? What is Harrietta Lee series about? Truth be told, I had no knowledge, whatsoever, about the existence of this author, let alone her series! That was until Lex's review of "Deadline," Book 1 of Ahn's Harrietta Lee series, showed up on my GR timeline recently (cheers, Lex! :D)! At first glance, the cover threw me a little bit because it looked like a manga book. Why? Because having been a fan of manga since I was a kid, I never thought I'd see the day where there would be ma ...more
Purpleberry
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Betty BoomBa
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ff-paranormal
I looked forward to this, lots of great reviews on Amazon, so I bought it. Yeah. So it's an OK, but almost meh kinda read.
Told in first person, I have a love hate with first person. When done well it is awesome, when it isn't, then it become irritating. The phraseology used and the narrative voice got my back up more than once. Personal choice I think.

For the first 50% I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd stared book two in a series rather than book one. Things are mentioned, places are mentio
mahana (moved accounts. i’m not active stop adding me)
apparently my weakness is sarcastic lesbians. who'd have thought

representation: Korean American lesbian mc
iam
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy damn, this is one of the best paranormal/urban fantasy mysteries I've ever read! It has pretty much everything you could ever want in a book: magic, lesbians, humor, terrifying creatures that might not be so terrifying once you get to know them, demons, cute fire sprites, a bit (ok, kind of a lot) of kink, and a really cool mystery around a missing needle, I mean, sword. But is it really missing...?

Content warnings include: violence, BDSM (no sex, mild D/s, heavy impact play), blood magic
Kaa
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
(CW at the end, because there was some stuff I was not expecting and I think could be triggering for some.) I picked this up for free last year, and if I'd realized how entertaining it would be I wouldn't have waited so long to read it. It's a pretty simple story, but it manages to make three things I generally avoid (UF, first person narration, and this particular type of snarky humor) all work for me. Harry's character voice is great, the world-building was just right for the length, and the p ...more
Dahlia
Sep 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: lgbtqreads
This was really fun and quick and surprisingly sexy considering all the demons and evil and whatnot. (Or maybe because of it? Who's to say? Learning new things about my taste all the time!) Looking forward to reading more in the series!
Bellamy
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think the only complaint I have about this book is that it was too short! It felt like it ended at the halfway point of where I would expect it to, but my understanding is that it is intended to be part of a more episodic series, for which it works.

It was a delightful read - I loved the magic system, I loved the narration, I loved the characters, I loved the humor. I don't generally give five stars to books but this one was absolutely fantastic.

The main character's narrative voice was both rea
Alexa
Snarky amateur detectives with magic and creative solutions are my favourites. Bonus points if they're queer.

note: this book has BDSM elements, but no sex scenes.
Danny
Jun 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
I'm not giving a rating because I didn't actually get through it, which is less a fault of the story itself and more that I was not expecting my least favorite faction of bdsm to suddenly appear halfway through. I skipped over the scene but having no idea that it was coming turned me off enough that I never managed to pick it back up.

Thoughts from what I did read though:

- It's an interesting world. I would like to have known much sooner how the different kinds of magic work though. At the point
Heather Henkel
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Oh my this was a fun book to read. The crazy stunts and the way Harry just doesn't think things through is great!
Dannica Zulestin
This book is actually really good. It took me a while to get into it because I needed to get into Harry, really. But once I realized she was kind of a hot mess blood witch improvising her way through life, I really enjoyed her adventures.

Also, there's one scene of kink (whipping, mostly) that I really liked because first of all, kink without sex is excellent and rare, and secondly, although it was a casual affair I liked the dynamic between Harry and her sadistic succubus partner. (Apparently Ha
Devann
Absolutely loved this! It's a good read either way, but it's especially impressive for a debut book from such a young author. It's got a lot of standard urban fantasy elements but I really like the characters and I thought the plot was interesting and well-paced. Also pretty much from the second I saw the cover and then read the description I thought 'I REALLY hope this is going to be like lesbian John Constantine' and boy I was not disappointed! I'll definitely be continuing this series and am ...more
Lucia Iannone
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I must start with the disclaimer that I'm generally not into this genre, but man, Deadline was very enjoyable for me. I don't have much to compare it to, what with the aforementioned lack of reading in this genre, but it's really great, especially for a first-time author.

The prose is witty and sharp and never loses itself in details. The characters are all believable and feel thought-out. The action sequences were enjoyable and easy to read, which is saying something considering how often I've s
J
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I like the settings and characters, but it suffers from being on the short side and a serious lack of tension or rising action after the sewers. Climax is pretty anticlimactic, and the denouement is just odd. In addition, Harry's survival after the sewers is never explained, why is she still alive at that point? Why was she not killed?
Kaith
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, lgbtq
That was a fun romp through New York's magical underground. Plot is easy to follow, Harry is pretty funny even if you want to shake her sometimes, and there's enough action to keep the pages turning. I look forward to seeing the next installment!
Diego Domenici
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before Deadline, I'd read only one other series that fit into the Urban Fantasy genre, so I can say I dove into it without really knowing what to expect. The writing is very fluid and gripping, much more than I'd expect from a first-time published author, the characters are fleshed out and, more importantly, believable and relatable, and the story is filled with action, intrigue and "lame" (in a "that was so purposefully bad it made me laugh" way) jokes, mostly by the book's chipper yet intellig ...more
Liz
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a light read, with a bumbling lead character who just stumbles through the story. I found it quite frustrating as the premise of the story is a good one, but very telling when I was near the end I still felt like I had missed a previous book which would give me a clue to what all these random characters meant. Personally for me, it would have benefited from more world building, as it felt you had only the book blurb to work with, more info on Miri (friend/ex?), basically more detail on w ...more
Krystyna
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Where angels fear to tread

A good read. She is an outcast, more by her own making than anything else. When she is offered a job of retrieving a family heirloom, she certainly didn't expect it to lead her down the paths it does. A deal with a demon, a power struggle between the two most powerful families, meeting chimeras and getting back into the pain/pleasure/power scene. What will she learn if anything? Will she retrieve the family heirloom? Quite an intricate plot that made following events sl
Kayla
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sff, lgbtq
This is a fun urban fantasy in Manhattan, starring a down-on-her-luck witch who takes on a job and gets roped into something much bigger. I love Harry's voice; she's snarky and funny, but also felt very authentic as a young adult just trying to get by. The magic was really interesting, and I like how the system was described without feeling like an exposition dump every time. And there was plenty of action to keep the story moving. The casual diversity wrt race and sexuality is also a huge plus. ...more
Lea Setegn
I loved this world and the main character! THANK YOU for writing a kickass lesbian character! She’s like a female Harry Dresden, whom I adore. And isn’t it interesting that her nickname is Harry?

I agree that the book wrapped up the main story too quickly, but the plot seemed to be more of a set up to introduce Harry and her emotional entanglements. The book definitely achieved those goals.

Looking forward to the next one!
Kira
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Supernatural lesbian romance isn't really my thing, but I enjoyed reading this book anyway. The dialogue is funny, the sci-fi/fantasy stuff is interesting, if a bit vague, and the pace is fast and entertaining. I'm also a sucker for a bumbling main character who makes more mistakes than most people but still manages to get her job done. There is a great BDSM scene that I wasn't really expecting, so that was a bonus, but this really isn't much of a romance as it is a supernatural mystery story wi ...more
Kav
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun ride.

It's not often you read such a wild romp of a book with a weirdly weird, weirdly lovable Asian (!!!) character, who explicitly identifies as lesbian (!!!).

There's a lot of charm in this book and a colourful main character (not just because she's a POC). As the first in the series, the author has done a great job with introducing us to the world and the beings within it. Definitely looking forward to seeing what other hijinks she'll get into.
Ellen
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked about it:
-Quick pacing! The story clips right along, from magical confrontation to emotional revelation
-Magical kinky lesbian adventures with some of the most impt relationships being friendship (with the potential for a slow-burn romance)
-well written!
-a very solid example of the genre
Angela
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun read and really quick. hoping the sequel will come out reasonably soon, though I'm not expecting it much before next year as this apparently just got published last month. I'd certainly love to see more from this author, maybe even some sort of prequel story about some of Harry's adventures before things got all messed up.
Ilias
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, sf, q
This book was very good! Very exactly my shit. :) It was very short, but so it goes. I would love to read the next one.

Oh, the first person very declarative noir style writing did get a Bit grating. I get it, but it wasn't super for me I don't think. Hardly a deal breaker, just a note.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Dead (The Thaumaturge #1)
  • In Spirit and Truth (In Spiritu Et Veritate, #1)
  • The Mystic Marriage (Alpennia, #2)
  • Time After Crime (Lumberjanes, Vol. 11)
  • Thornfruit (The Gardener's Hand, #1)
  • Love Out of Order
  • Born a Queen (Lilith's Shadow, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Queerly Loving (Queerly Loving, #1)
  • Trolls (The Bridge, #1)
  • Machine
  • The Hound of Justice (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #2)
  • The Road Ahead (Around the World, #1)
  • Half to Death
  • The Tattered Heiress (Charlotte Olmes Mystery #2)
  • After Hours, Vol. 1 (After Hours, #1)
  • Four Point (Four Point Trilogy, #1)
  • Latchkey (Archivist Wasp Saga, #2)
Stephanie Ahn is a debut author and college student who tends to write about young-ish adults just trying to get by in life. Wonder where she got that idea?

Harrietta Lee (2 books)
  • Bloodbath (Harrietta Lee, #2)